Charlton game off?

That will mean a two-week spell without a game for Charlton's 'League One' team. They face Rotherham United away this weekend (August 26), and then won't play again until meeting Southend United at The Valley on September 9.

I enjoyed the quote marks. I know how they feel.

Anyway, bring on the postponement. I can't make that one anyway...

19 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

That's only 2, we need 3.

It's 3 from their team that looks likely.

It could be argued we've had more than 3 'gone' missing all season. Does that qualify?

Seriously it would help us massively if Charlton do have 3 away and postponed. 

9 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Why don't the league & British FA's get together on fixtures to make sure this never happens? How hard can it be? 

Internationals are probably all tied in with TV and sponsors..money talks these days.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Internationals are probably all tied in with TV and sponsors..money talks these days.

And it still can. I just don't see why UK nations internationals have to clash with league games at all.

Fair enough if Placide has to jet off to Haiti but most England, Ireland(s), Scotland and Wales players play here...

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

And it still can. I just don't see why UK nations internationals have to clash with league games at all.

Fair enough if Placide has to jet off to Haiti but most England, Ireland(s), Scotland and Wales players play here...

They may play here, but still have to travel to away fixtures, some even in Europe are long distances.

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Why don't the league & British FA's get together on fixtures to make sure this never happens? How hard can it be? 

They do it in the Championship (same 46 game season).

I think the (minimum) 2 rounds of the FA cup, the (minimum) 3 games in the EFL trophy and poorer pitches/facilities meaning more postponements affects things.

Last year wasn't an EFL trophy game the same night as an England game?

It would mean a lot more mid-week games, but those happen anyway if the game is postponed. It's only really a handful of league 1 clubs it affects and it doesn't affect any league 2 side.  Plus at least 1 game from our division is on Sky that weekend.

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

They do it in the Championship (same 46 game season).

I think the (minimum) 2 rounds of the FA cup, the (minimum) 3 games in the EFL trophy and poorer pitches/facilities meaning more postponements affects things.

Last year wasn't an EFL trophy game the same night as an England game?

It would mean a lot more mid-week games, but those happen anyway if the game is postponed. It's only really a handful of league 1 clubs it affects and it doesn't affect any league 2 side.  Plus at least 1 game from our division is on Sky that weekend.

And its a chance for League One and Two clubs to try and attract some fans that might otherwise go to other clubs?  Get a bit more coverage in the media etc.

I'd have though that, even if they do have 3 players called up, Charlton might opt to play the game anyway, given the form we're in. We might be on a much better run by the time the re-arranged game comes around.

14 minutes ago, bozman said:

I'd have though that, even if they do have 3 players called up, Charlton might opt to play the game anyway, given the form we're in. We might be on a much better run by the time the re-arranged game comes around.

This happened last year. Think it was Peterborough. Was a guaranteed 6 point swing had it been played initially when intended

Surely even if Charlton are missing a few they will want to play us now? Especially the way things are, they'll have seen 3 subs today and realise confidence will be low, things can change in a week but I fully expect the game to go ahead next week, unless we can somehow get another call up, then I'd guess we'd happily postpone.

15 minutes ago, daniel said:

Surely even if Charlton are missing a few they will want to play us now? Especially the way things are, they'll have seen 3 subs today and realise confidence will be low, things can change in a week but I fully expect the game to go ahead next week, unless we can somehow get another call up, then I'd guess we'd happily postpone.

Just as a moot point......How would it work if we did get  a third call up and postponed it and then sold MacLaughlin on Thursday

On 26/08/2017 at 9:01 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

I suspect that, with us not hearing anything official, this game will still be on. It's a bit short notice to bin it off now, isn't it...?

I presume there will be a cut off for this rule to be used - have all the squads been called already?