Ashes 2017

We need pace in our attack..... Mark Wood is playing in a Lions game this week, one assumes so they can check his fitness before a potential call up for the Perth test. I'd have taken Plunkett over both Overton and Tom Curran too.

the quicker Somerset & Avon police can tell us whether Stokes has a case to answer or not would be appreciated too.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

We need pace in our attack..... Mark Wood is playing in a Lions game this week, one assumes so they can check his fitness before a potential call up for the Perth test. I'd have taken Plunkett over both Overton and Tom Curran too.

the quicker Somerset & Avon police can tell us whether Stokes has a case to answer or not would be appreciated too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ECB are asking the police the same questions right now.

No settled batting lineup, bowlers dining out on previous tours that won't bowl at the stumps trying to find an outside edge that just isn't there. Another average Aussie team are likely to beat us 5-0 again. Where's the young quick bowlers that are going to get us the 60 wickets we'll need to nick this series?

On 27/11/2017 at 3:51 PM, oafcprozac said:

No settled batting lineup, bowlers dining out on previous tours that won't bowl at the stumps trying to find an outside edge that just isn't there. Another average Aussie team are likely to beat us 5-0 again. Where's the young quick bowlers that are going to get us the 60 wickets we'll need to nick this series?

Anderson and Broad bowled quite well in the first innings. Gave hardly anything away, took combined figures of 5-99. They don't have express pace, so thats how they've got to bowl over there. They just weren't backed up at all by the other bowlers. Could have also been helped if the batsmen had converted 250-4 into a lot more than 300. Need big scores to bowl at in Aus, especially if you dont have bowlers who can bowl 90+mph.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:51 PM, oafcprozac said:

well andersons fifer is at odds with that 

23 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

We’ve took 28/40 Aussies have 40/40 this 2-0, no centurions a castrated tail and both openers well out of nick. As I said 5-0 Jimmy was good in the second innings bowled like Elmo in the first innings. 

We look to be staring down a gun barrel at the moment, I agree, can't see us avoiding a 5-0 tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who was the last genuinely fast bowler we produced that did it at test level for a reasonable period of time?

Gough was rapid but not for his whole career; Bob Willis?

Do English wickets and conditions not dictate that genuine pace is not deemed to be essential?

21 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Do English wickets and conditions not dictate that genuine pace is not deemed to be essential?

I think that's right, with often favourable overhead conditions and the Duke ball in England, there is more than enough sideways movement, to not need to be 90mph plus.

On these hard, flat, bouncy Aussie wickets with pretty much no sideways movement, its all about express pace and bounce, we really don't have either and our bowlers are looking very ordinary in the conditions.

Add to that our batsmen are looking often very ill at ease, with their extra pace and bounce and another 5-0 is beckoning, I think only some very poor weather could save us.

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Who was the last genuinely fast bowler we produced that did it at test level for a reasonable period of time?

Gough was rapid but not for his whole career; Bob Willis?

John Snow was pretty quick.

But then again, I know nothing.

I agree that without the movement of the Duke, we are effectively bowling 6 long hops an over. 

Monday morning is going to be shit.

I think going into this series some of us expected us to get a 5-0 drubbing, the fact that we prepared ourself for this isn't going to make it any easier to stomach.

Whilst I dont know who is the right person for the job, the decision to give Root the captaincy certainly wasn't the right one.

5 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

John Snow was pretty quick.

But then again, I know nothing.

I agree that without the movement of the Duke, we are effectively bowling 6 long hops an over. 

Monday morning is going to be shit.

Willis post dates Snow. Finn could be quick but not very often, likewise Wood