Balance of the team

With the cull that has just taken place and the influx of players & more due what will be required to obtain consistency in the long term?

Defence 

Who is our weakest link and will hinder us from keeping clean sheets?

Midfield

Is their enough creativity to create and contribute goals from midfield ?

Will midfield assist the defence in offering protection to keep clean sheets?

Forwards

Hold up play good enough in tight games to bring the midfield into the game and provide an outlet?

Enough pace to stretch teams?

Score enough goals & especially nick a goal in a tight game to turn draws into wins?

I assume RW will be looking at the above both individually & combined wish him luck and hopefully we will get the attacking creative football but most of all consistency.  

Goalkeeper: We're OK in this position.

RB: No issues here. Dummigan, Wilson, McLaughlin and Hunt can all play here.

LB: Only two players capable of filling this role - Hunt and Wilson - are both right footed, so clearly imbalance here.  As Hunt may well be off to Preston, I think we're a first choice LB short - specifically left footed.

CB: Once Bryan returns, and following Edmundson's impressive performance at the weekend, I think those 2 and Gerrard can cover our CB needs with Wilson providing further cover.

RM: No major issues here.  McLaughlin needs to make this position his own.  Gardner could probably probably fill in if needs be, but Obadeyi can leave as far as I am concerned.  I'm sure Benyu could also do a job if needs be.

LM: No issues here.  Nepomaceno has done a steady job.  McEleney could probably play here too.  Then of course Pringle.

CM/AM: Perfectly fine.  Fane, Gardner, Byrne, Pringle, Benyu and McEleney is more than enough.  Perhaps one defensive minded midfielder should we lose Fane for a period of games.

ST: Defo short.  Doyle's return would be much needed, but I think Davies will go once Doyle does come in, and Holloway just does not bring goals to the team.  We will need another.

So to summarise, ideal world Wellens would bring in a LB, RM, DM and ST (taking into account Bryan and Doyle already included).

28 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

So to summarise, ideal world Wellens would bring in a LB, RM, DM and ST (taking into account Bryan and Doyle already included).

A left back and two strikers for me. Maybe another quick CB, eg the lad from Villa we were inked with 

Edited by HarryBosch
I'm realise I'm just assuming he's quick based on nothing other than him being young & black

Assuming that Byrne has signed and Bryan is coming back in on loan then like others have said a left footed left back who can overlap and cross with his left foot. 1 possibly 2 strikers both the type of strikers who can run in behind the centre half and into the channels. Throw in a sub keeper who can cover for placide in an emergency then I am fine. To go with thst for the rest of the season.

If we make these additions I would expect us to finish north of 17th and aim for the top half.

31 minutes ago, cmr said:

Realistically all we need to do is stay up this season and build for the next.

Bryan back at CB and someone to cover for Doyle until hes (hopefully) back should see us right

When the takeover is done and these signings are available , it would be good for the owners to do an offer on season tickets that gives us an opportunity to sell more and get bums back in seats for next season 

46 minutes ago, cmr said:

Realistically all we need to do is stay up this season and build for the next.

Bryan back at CB and someone to cover for Doyle until hes (hopefully) back should see us right

Bryan is an odd one in those terms. We could surely get a rock solid defender or 2 in for much less than his wages if we're paying the lot, which might make sense for a survival job and if he's gone in the summer. Not complaining though 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Bryan is an odd one in those terms. We could surely get a rock solid defender or 2 in for much less than his wages if we're paying the lot, 

I'd have thought it was inconceivable that we are paying the whole of a City player's wages.