Just back from Clyde

Just got in from the game and I've got to say I enjoyed tonight. I've not seen a game for a fair while and was looking forward to seeing our new boys in action. A couple of quick comments before i get to bed..

Firstly, the defence..to put it simply they need sorting out and quickly. Thompson had an absolute mare, Gregan didn't fill me with confidence (although to be fair he won every header he went for).full backs did alright..thought lomax in particular looked our strongest defender. As for Crossley..on that performance all he has over Pogs is his kicking. hopefully he, gregan and thompson will improve once they know each other a bit better

Apart from that everything else was very positive. Taylor didn't have the best game and still seems intent on bombing down the wing whilst leaving the ball behind but he worked hard and hopefully the form will come. I thought Allott and Kalala looked good in the centre..battled for everything with Allott having the better game. Liddell put a couple of decent balls in and his set pieces seem much improved on last year. Ricketts held on to everything that hit him and, although he still looks rusty, looks like he could be a decent buy once his fitness returns. Davies was the best player on the pitch IMO, looks quick, strong with a good shot on him and a clinical 1-on-1 finish for the goal.

As for the subs..I thought Wolfy looked decent and if he had been a bit greedier maybe could have had a goal. Stam looked a little uncomfortable at left back for me but still did a solid enough job. Allessandra looked nippy and Smalley didnt look too shabby either, although neither are ready for a run of games just yet for me.

Finally, the fans..great support again for a meaningless,thursday night friendly which we had already been told would be nothing more than a fitness exercise. Seemed to be decent numbers dotted about and a fair amount of noise from a group which, if I'm not mistaken, was made up of OWTB regulars.

All in all a good nights work

Guest sheridans_world
*Jumping on the Craig Davies bandwaggon before the rest do

I pre-empted that. I jumped on it at the final whistle. The way he played, there will be a bandwagon and it'll be a big one. He is very quick and has strength, it was wonderful to watch him play! One thing that stuck out about him was his defending, he tracked back and then seconds later was the fore-front of an attack. His work rate is like Warney only he has more pace, height and strength.

As for the game i agree with most of the points above, Kalala was no where near as prominent as he was last Friday, Allott took the limelight in midfield last night. His foot was in for everything, worked really well. Eardley was getting a bit of a bashing from Shez all night, Taylor was getting a bit of a bashing from both tommy and Shez. I dont think they played too badly, Eardley was good running forward, fair few decent crosses, Taylor seems to have got quicker, oh and his hair is now blonde.

Ricketts has the touch. You can see he is a class player. I'm suprised Shez took him off if he is unfit, would have let him have the work out. He played well, he has the edge that could get us out of this division. The team as a whole played fairly well. It was basic mistakes that let us down.

The youngsters looked good, Alessandra was making some good runs, Smalley scored a cracking header...... from a CORNER! These two are not ready for first team action yet. Wolfy though, he could probably make the step up, he is stronger than he looks, which is good, a bit of deception never goes a miss!

I'm not going to lay into Gregan, Thommo or Crossley because i did enough of that last night, still a few games to sort it out before the start of the season.

Good game to watch, well worth the travelling, good day out.

oh and his hair is now blonde.

:shock:

He's dyed his hair and had a sex change? Don't know what Mark is going to do now with the 2000 ginger wigs under his bed :wink:

I'm really looking forward to seeing our forwards play. Q) when did we last have a physically dominating centre forward, or better still a pair (several pairs even!) of them? NB anyone who says Chris Killen will be dragged out and shot.

Guest sheridans_world
:shock:

He's dyed his hair and had a sex change? Don't know what Mark is going to do now with the 2000 ginger wigs under his bed :wink:

I'm really looking forward to seeing our forwards play. Q) when did we last have a physically dominating centre forward, or better still a pair (several pairs even!) of them? NB anyone who says Chris Killen will be dragged out and shot.

Cant. Not really. Delroy Facey? Rodney Jack?

Edited by sheridans_world

maybe Carlo? or was he just fat:) i remember he used to put himself about a bit, good at getting others into the game etc. Please don't shoot me but i always thought Killen was a very good player...obviously far to injury prone like!!

maybe Carlo? or was he just fat:) i remember he used to put himself about a bit, good at getting others into the game etc. Please don't shoot me but i always thought Killen was a very good player...obviously far to injury prone like!!

:rifle: wozz_oafc

He had his attributes, shame he put them in storage for 3 and a half years :angry: In fairness he was one of the stronger recent players with his back to goal, but I can't imagine any decent centre back thinking, "Oh no, it's Big Chris," and fearing a bruising afternoon.

Premiership footballer Johnny Eyre could put himself about :shock: We've come a long way...

Q) when did we last have a physically dominating centre forward

Sean McCarthy or Clyde Wijnhard. In particular McCarthy, a lot gave the lad grief but when he wasn't playing and when he ultimately left, boy did we miss his physical presence. Something we didn't have for four years between 1998-2002Something that wasn't solved until we signed the ilk of Killen and Wijnhard.

Sean McCarthy or Clyde Wijnhard. In particular McCarthy, a lot gave the lad grief but when he wasn't playing and when he ultimately left, boy did we miss his physical presence. Something we didn't have for four years between 1998-2002Something that wasn't solved until we signed the ilk of Killen and Wijnhard.

Good old Clyde I forgot about him...before his injury that season he was unbelievable!!

I always rated McCarthy, i thought he did really well for us - tho my dad always said he looked like buzz lightyear! His goal at Old Trafford was fantastic too :)

I myself am just up having only got back from the Clyde game at 3am! A long journey but well worth it, I am not quite as nervous now as I was after the Rochdale game about last season.

The front two look good, commanding and I think with a few more games under their belt, will be a force to be reckoned with :)

The back four though, what's going on? Sloppiness all over, but I think with some more regimented training on shape and working as a unit, they'll do okay.

Even the midfield impressed me, though I'm concerned with Taylor's apparent lack of form. The dye has affected him in a bad way? I'm just unsure.

Overall though, I think Allott and Davies have been the most impressive of the new boys so far, and I think my shiny new Davies shirt will look rather fabulous. ;)

Keep the Faith

The back four though, what's going on? Sloppiness all over, but I think with some more regimented training on shape and working as a unit, they'll do okay.

The back four last season was fairly solid and we rarely lost by more than 2 goals and conceded 3.

And that was a new back four as such, Pogs rejoined from Lashers, Gregan joined for the Kettering game, and Haining being the only member of the previous campaign, Eardley was his first full season and Charlton joined soon after the season started.

I'm not so sure this time, we have the Keegan attitude, we'll score more than you and that is a dangerous game to play.

We should be more solid, better quality surely?

Strikeforce is looking dangerous...AND GUESS WHAT THERES STILL LEE HUGHES TO COME!!! I cant wait for some high scoring games next season. Make the defence a little more concrete and i think we will be in for some high scoring games next year just like the Royle years!

Rocket Ronnie Jepson... :disguise:

And SW i agree with your likeness (or lack of it of Davis to Warne).....He does seem to have the same work rate, with Davis having more Strength etc and one vital ingredient that sets him apart from Warne IMO Quality!!

Finally, the fans..great support again for a meaningless,thursday night friendly which we had already been told would be nothing more than a fitness exercise. Seemed to be decent numbers dotted about and a fair amount of noise from a group which, if I'm not mistaken, was made up of OWTB regulars.

All in all a good nights work

Agreed Mike. What a top day it was.

I'll mention the football first as it was apparently the reason for us all dragging ourselves into foreign lands (with apologies to our ever growing Scottish contingent). I wasn't expecting much out of the game as Shez made it clear it was about performance. Thompson had two horror moments which cost us the goals. Saw it mentioned that Gegan scored an og for their second. He wasn't involved - it came from a bad Thompson backpass and their Striker nipped in ahead of Crossley. That said, someone of the combined weight and age of me and The Mighty Atom could have beaten Crossley to the ball. :o

I thought Gregan played ok and he must have lost a stone in weight. Lidds has shed some pounds too. Not going to go through the whole team but for me, Davies is going to be a massive star. It's been said that he is Warney-esque. Can't disagree with any of that - but just add electric pace; height; power and finishing ability and that sums him up. He seems to glide around the pitch and I am really excited about watching him play this Season. Great run and finish for his goal.

To me though, watching Latics - particularly at away games is something special because of the social side. I put a few more faces to Usernames last night and as Mike has said in his opening post, just about everyone there was an OWTB/ JKL regular. A quick roll call of Members off the top of my (sore and hungover) head:-

Media (Stu Vose) + Franny Ward. Diego; Mrs Sideburns; OAFC_OK (plus a few others at their table) Sheridans_World; Wardlelatic; Maddog; Ronnie Blair (who had also dragged a few of his staff along!); Smartzatart (thanks for the lift to the ground mate - nice Beemer :wink:); Lags; Jacko; BB80; Walshy: Derek_Wilson; WelshGaz; Baldy Mark (sorry for calling you Sav :o); John from Ireland; pdw76 (thanks for the lift back to Edinburgh :)); Mark_OASIS and several more that have slipped from my Deuchars-addled brain. :huh:

I'm sure I have forgotten a few (apologies in advance) but I'm still hungover. Really nice to finally meet pdw76 who gave me and my brother a lift back to Edinburgh. We were already ratted from the pre-match drinking and so several more pints out in Edinburgh until the early hours was a bit of a killer especially as my train back was at 9.00. Hopefully, I'll sober up in time to get up to St Mirren tomorrow. B)

That reminds me, Will Haining was at the match last night. Also met Gary McDonald's mum and dad in the pub before the game. They are really nice people but were not very complimentary about Richie Wellens! :o

Anyway, top day out and a great effort from our small band of travellers! Hope to meet more of you during the coming Season! :)

Agreed Mike. What a top day it was.

I'll mention the football first as it was apparently the reason for us all dragging ourselves into foreign lands (with apologies to our ever growing Scottish contingent). I wasn't expecting much out of the game as Shez made it clear it was about performance. Thompson had two horror moments which cost us the goals. Saw it mentioned that Gegan scored an og for their second. He wasn't involved - it came from a bad Thompson backpass and their Striker nipped in ahead of Crossley. That said, someone of the combined weight and age of me and The Mighty Atom could have beaten Crossley to the ball. :o

I thought Gregan played ok and he must have lost a stone in weight. Lidds has shed some pounds too. Not going to go through the whole team but for me, Davies is going to be a massive star. It's been said that he is Warney-esque. Can't disagree with any of that - but just add electric pace; height; power and finishing ability and that sums him up. He seems to glide around the pitch and I am really excited about watching him play this Season. Great run and finish for his goal.

To me though, watching Latics - particularly at away games is something special because of the social side. I put a few more faces to Usernames last night and as Mike has said in his opening post, just about everyone there was an OWTB/ JKL regular. A quick roll call of Members off the top of my (sore and hungover) head:-

Media (Stu Vose) + Franny Ward. Diego; Mrs Sideburns; OAFC_OK (plus a few others at their table) Sheridans_World; Wardlelatic; Maddog; Ronnie Blair (who had also dragged a few of his staff along!); Smartzatart (thanks for the lift to the ground mate - nice Beemer :wink:); Lags; Jacko; BB80; Walshy: Derek_Wilson; WelshGaz; Baldy Mark (sorry for calling you Sav :o); John from Ireland; pdw76 (thanks for the lift back to Edinburgh :)); Mark_OASIS and several more that have slipped from my Deuchars-addled brain. :huh:

I'm sure I have forgotten a few (apologies in advance) but I'm still hungover. Really nice to finally meet pdw76 who gave me and my brother a lift back to Edinburgh. We were already ratted from the pre-match drinking and so several more pints out in Edinburgh until the early hours was a bit of a killer especially as my train back was at 9.00. Hopefully, I'll sober up in time to get up to St Mirren tomorrow. B)

That reminds me, Will Haining was at the match last night. Also met Gary McDonald's mum and dad in the pub before the game. They are really nice people but were not very complimentary about Richie Wellens! :o

Anyway, top day out and a great effort from our small band of travellers! Hope to meet more of you during the coming Season! :)

I'm still pissed.

Deano was there too, had a good chat with him post game.

Had his Mrs there with him, and a very tiny little Deano, the nipper must have only been a few weeks old. Was nice to see them all though, as usual Dean was his friendly chatty self. Really enjoying it up there. Good luck to him, I have never found him to be anything other than a thoroughly nice bloke. Despite the fact that he left us under a bit of a cloud, it seems we still have a bit of a place in his heart.

The less said about the game the better though other than my new favourite player (Smalley) bagging an excellent header and Kes's goal were proper Bo!

Highlight of the night had to be Hendrys reaction to 'No Nay Never', gave us all the winkers sign :lol:

Cracking day and night out though.

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968