BPAS PODCAST: 18th Mar '24, S4E31: Field of Dreams

55 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't actually but my memories not what it was so I'll watch it back as I can't recall him pinging it anywhere other than on to 6 foot 6 centehalfs heads for the majority of the season.

sweet 👍🏻

lemme knw what u think..

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

One thing I dislike in him is his inability to keep the game moving, he's forever killing momentum by not reading the game, he literally slows every passage of play down and it's the reason teams are happy to throw men forward because they know they'll have plenty of time to get back and reset, we sometimes have two or three on two up top when an opposition attack breaks down but it never goes early, most frustratingly he puts it up there anyway when they have everybody back and invariably we don't win it.

11 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The only time I noticed him releasing it quickly was when Hammond was left upfield and broke quickly ( think it was Kidderminster ?) to exploit his pace.

He consistently just pisses about with the ball when taking dead balls, but he's not the only one ! 👎

10 hours ago, Boyyou said:

May be wrong but can't think of many, if any, keepers this season who have consistently looked to get rid early. Perhaps it's a modern coaching thing.

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think their was a time in the early 90s when you would see John Hallworth come out collect a cross and bowl it out to a winger or a full back. Peter Schmeichel was legendary for doing this as he could throw the ball to the halfway line. You don't see keeper's throw the ball out quickly anymore. However goalkeepers today are far far better with the ball at their feet and every now and then will put a quick ball forward to start a counter attack. Ederson at Man City is probably the best example of this Now not many goalkeeper's in the world certainly non at this level are capable of distributing the ball aswell as him. But perhaps it is something we should look to work on but you need players who are going to be alive to this I don't think we are a counter attacking team. Maybe if you have Green on the wing then an early release to him is probably your best bet. Either that or if you have Norwood and Fondop uptop a quick release for them to fight it out with centre backs might be a good opportunity for a quick counter attack.

Although Hudson is the better keeper. Norman is far superior at setting up counter attacks by distributing well and quickly.

I don't think it's a coaching thing I think most would rather have the better keeper than the better footballer. That GK at Gateshead who chucked at least 2 in for us this season was pretty good at distribution too.

• Matt unfeatured this topic