BPAS PODCAST: 18th Mar '24, S4E31: Field of Dreams

Just had a listen back (believe it or not, I do actually hate the sound of my own voice).

Last night's result at The Shay just reinforces my view that the draw on Saturday was a disappointment, especially given our dominance. Few people have said I was a tad harsh on Hudson, but we've conceded a fair few goals that he should be stopping this season...

23 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Just had a listen back (believe it or not, I do actually hate the sound of my own voice).

Last night's result at The Shay just reinforces my view that the draw on Saturday was a disappointment, especially given our dominance. Few people have said I was a tad harsh on Hudson, but we've conceded a fair few goals that he should be stopping this season...

5 clean sheets in 25 since Mellon came in despite us playing seven at the back is a poor return, he's still relatively young but as you've suggested we could probably do with an upgrade. Personally I'd be happy if we went after someone like Ripley. 

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

but he’s also stopped fair few that others would have conceded this season…

Do you reckon? I don't think he's pulled off any save this season that I wouldn't expect any grown adult with arms to make...

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Do you reckon? I don't think he's pulled off any save this season that I wouldn't expect any grown adult with arms to make...

🤣🤣🤣

theres been a couple of great ones but lve forgotten the details bc its div5 and it doesnt count!!

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Apart from the following:

Three decent saves to keep it to 0-1 vs Solihull at home before they got their second on 94 minutes.

A stunning save at Rochdale late on to prevent them equalising.

Beating Hartlepool 2-0. Hudson made two great saves late on and got MotM 👍

Stunning save by Hudson to preserve parity when 0-0 against Southend.

and there have been others 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Three decent saves to keep it to 0-1 vs Solihull at home before they got their second on 94 minutes.

He's saved penalties too hasn't he? Seeing as they count less for strikers they must count double for keepers!

39 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

5 clean sheets in 25 since Mellon came in despite us playing seven at the back is a poor return, he's still relatively young but as you've suggested we could probably do with an upgrade. Personally I'd be happy if we went after someone like Ripley. 

Ripley did great here but conceded 82 in 50 at Morecambe and Port Vale fans not overly impressed with letting in 71 in 46.

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Dorking away..

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He's saved penalties too hasn't he? Seeing as they count less for strikers they must count double for keepers!

lno you jus havin a jest but l'll say anyway;

penalties aren't easy they only don't count if you can't kick a ball straight.

keepers have got the advantage these day spesh in shoot outs.

ps l took pens in my day theyre easy 🤣

Thought the general consensus was that keeper and defence had done okay, on the whole. Conceded 50 in 39 and that includes aberrations v Southend, Bromley,  Fylde and Ebbsfleet which account for 14.

MM clearly wants more clean sheets but our goals against total compares favourably with most.

Thought most agreed our midfield has been the issue, certainly in terms of exercising control but also a lack of width and goal contributions.

Plus we have only one player in double figures for goals (Norwood) compared to Chesterfield (Grigg, Naylor, Quigley,  Dobra) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Thought the general consensus was that keeper and defence had done okay, on the whole. Conceded 50 in 39 and that includes aberrations v Southend, Bromley,  Fylde and Ebbsfleet which account for 14.

MM clearly wants more clean sheets but our goals against total compares favourably with most.

Thought most agreed our midfield has been the issue, certainly in terms of exercising control but also a lack of width and goal contributions.

Plus we have only one player in double figures for goals (Norwood) compared to Chesterfield (Grigg, Naylor, Quigley,  Dobra) 

That may be the general consensus but we've set up so defensively 1 in 5 clean sheets is a poor return, now you can't solely blame this on Hudson but you'd expect a better return given we've sacrificed so much attacking play to try and appear more solid.

17 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

believe it or not, I do actually hate the sound of my own voice

if l was a normal person with a computer and internet access this would be my biggest fear about going on.

alas, lm mental af and lve not even got my spectrum set up since l moved in, so its not a worry!!

9 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Yes the voice thing is weird, always sounds like someone else when I hear myself. I sound thick aswell . Although I suppose I am a bit . 

I was on a quiz 40 odd years ago on Piccadilly Radio and couldn't believe my accent and how "Northern" I sounded, and a bit thicker than I obviously perceived myself !  😀

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

That may be the general consensus but we've set up so defensively 1 in 5 clean sheets is a poor return, now you can't solely blame this on Hudson but you'd expect a better return given we've sacrificed so much attacking play to try and appear more solid.

Don't disagree that we, and MM, would have expected more clean sheets. Just don't think Hudson is especially at fault.

Lack of midfield control puts defence under pressure and there have been numerous individual errors at the back - not picking up runners, slack marking, etc. 

Overall though our record has not been dreadful. 50 in 39 better than most. 17 came in 5 games if you throw Rochdale into the ones I mentioned earlier. 

Yes, we should be better but I still think Hudson is the least of our worries.

• Like 2

One thing I dislike in him is his inability to keep the game moving, he's forever killing momentum by not reading the game, he literally slows every passage of play down and it's the reason teams are happy to throw men forward because they know they'll have plenty of time to get back and reset, we sometimes have two or three on two up top when an opposition attack breaks down but it never goes early, most frustratingly he puts it up there anyway when they have everybody back and invariably we don't win it.

The only time I noticed him releasing it quickly was when Hammond was left upfield and broke quickly ( think it was Kidderminster ?) to exploit his pace.

He consistently just pisses about with the ball when taking dead balls, but he's not the only one ! 👎

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

One thing I dislike in him is his inability to keep the game moving, he's forever killing momentum by not reading the game, he literally slows every passage of play down and it's the reason teams are happy to throw men forward because they know they'll have plenty of time to get back and reset, we sometimes have two or three on two up top when an opposition attack breaks down but it never goes early, most frustratingly he puts it up there anyway when they have everybody back and invariably we don't win it.

he spent the southend game spreading 50yrd passes to feet.

do you drink at the match?

17 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

May be wrong but can't think of many, if any, keepers this season who have consistently looked to get rid early. Perhaps it's a modern coaching thing.

I think their was a time in the early 90s when you would see John Hallworth come out collect a cross and bowl it out to a winger or a full back. Peter Schmeichel was legendary for doing this as he could throw the ball to the halfway line. You don't see keeper's throw the ball out quickly anymore. However goalkeepers today are far far better with the ball at their feet and every now and then will put a quick ball forward to start a counter attack. Ederson at Man City is probably the best example of this Now not many goalkeeper's in the world certainly non at this level are capable of distributing the ball aswell as him. But perhaps it is something we should look to work on but you need players who are going to be alive to this I don't think we are a counter attacking team. Maybe if you have Green on the wing then an early release to him is probably your best bet. Either that or if you have Norwood and Fondop uptop a quick release for them to fight it out with centre backs might be a good opportunity for a quick counter attack.

Edited by GlossopLatic

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

he spent the southend game spreading 50yrd passes to feet.

do you drink at the match?

I don't actually but my memories not what it was so I'll watch it back as I can't recall him pinging it anywhere other than on to 6 foot 6 centehalfs heads for the majority of the season.

4 hours ago, True Tic said:

Yes the voice thing is weird, always sounds like someone else when I hear myself. I sound thick aswell . Although I suppose I am a bit . 

True Thick?😂😂