11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He's probably in the running for player of the year to be fair.

He doesn't get into my top 3. Hudson, Sheron, Norwood all above him. I've probably not seen his best performances though.

His rather obvious giving up at Aldershot has again made me question his leadership too. Something his performance at Rochdale, especially after our 3rd / 4th goal, had restored.

Lots of people suggesting other players that if we want to go up and do well need replacing. Well Hogan is in that list for me both as a player and a captain.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Another one we are lumbered with then.

TBF he always gives his all and can cover several positions, just because he’s signed a new deal doesn’t mean to say he’ll be a definite starter.

He’s good enough to be in the match day squad!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

TBF he always gives his all and can cover several positions, just because he’s signed a new deal doesn’t mean to say he’ll be a definite starter.

He’s good enough to be in the match day squad!

Ideal sub as he can play any position in a back 3 or 4.

17 hours ago, GKing521 said:

May have been a clause in his original deal about a potential third year that has been triggered?

There are also wage increases bolted in for a lot of the deadwood who will still be kicking around next season.

Yuup.

Second para here is sadly very much true as well.

This is terrible news.

He is over the hill and has an error in him every game, as seen today.

Now we're stuck with him , he should be a bench player at most and should definitely not be the captain.  If it wasn't for his ridiculous contract allowing an extension option he'd be one of the first out 🤬🤬👎

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Beyond shit today. Can’t play in a two. Fraud 

Left his armband on the pitch late on. Think it was pulled off by an Alty player.

I think he is part of the problem with our motivation and lack of leadership.

11 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Left his armband on the pitch late on. Think it was pulled off by an Alty player.

And he’s here for another season!😞

I know it’s easier said than done but once we knew he was getting close to triggering a contract I would have dropped him completely. 

we cant be going into next season with him as our starting centre back. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Did he throw his dummy out after his spat with the fans? The more I think about this set of players the more I believe they are doing it to piss off the fans..which is just a bizarre notion but it keeps springing to mind.

50 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I know it’s easier said than done but once we knew he was getting close to triggering a contract I would have dropped him completely. 

There was uproar when the Lemsagam brothers did that and Scholes resigned...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I wouldn't start him next season either. But he's an experienced pro who can at a push play anywhere across the back 4. He's an ideal back up/sub.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I wouldn't start him next season either. But he's an experienced pro who can at a push play anywhere across the back 4. He's an ideal back up/sub.

This is how we are lumbered with the likes of Gardner, Hope, Mcghahey. When we stop being so charitable to players on a downward trajectory is probably the day we start to improve. Saying that with Mellon' penchant for a 30 odd year old all will probably be offered new deals.

Hogan needs to go for me, he's just not at the level we need if we are serious about mounting a promotion push and he's largely failed as Captain to maintain any level of performance from his team and at times is the weakest link.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This is how we are lumbered with the likes of Gardner, Hope, Mcghahey. When we stop being so charitable to players on a downward trajectory is probably the day we start to improve. Saying that with Mellon' penchant for a 30 odd year old all will probably be offered new deals.

Hogan needs to go for me, he's just not at the level we need if we are serious about mounting a promotion push and he's largely failed as Captain to maintain any level of performance from his team and at times is the weakest link.

We need a squad. We can't just have starters and youths. What is better - having a back up that is experienced, versatile and knows the club and the squad or getting rid of them and signing someone new as a back up? Or, a 3rd option, signing someone who is a starter then you have potentially 3 CBS fighting over 2 spaces (or 3 starters in a back 3 with little or no back up) so you're paying starter wages for someone who won't be playing regularly?

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We need a squad. We can't just have starters and youths. What is better - having a back up that is experienced, versatile and knows the club and the squad or getting rid of them and signing someone new as a back up? Or, a 3rd option, signing someone who is a starter then you have potentially 3 CBS fighting over 2 spaces (or 3 starters in a back 3 with little or no back up) so you're paying starter wages for someone who won't be playing regularly?

Keeping this seasons Captain as a squad player just wouldn't work, he's limited at the best of times and he's done little through this latest spell to lift the squad, we need a new Captain who doesn't feel undermined by the previous one hanging around.

My view is any player out of contract should be binned off and probably about a dozen others told they can leave if they can fix themselves up, we need a massive overhaul and I honestly wouldn't be bothered if we payed the lot off and started again from scratch.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Keeping this seasons Captain as a squad player just wouldn't work, he's limited at the best of times and he's done little through this latest spell to lift the squad, we need a new Captain who doesn't feel undermined by the previous one hanging around.

My view is any player out of contract should be binned off and probably about a dozen others told they can leave if they can fix themselves up, we need a massive overhaul and I honestly wouldn't be bothered if we payed the lot off and started again from scratch.

He's not out of contract - he played enough to get a new one.

At his age he can't have complaints if a side going for promotion wants to have him as back up rather than start every week. And if that's not good enough for him then I'm sure we'd let him leave if he wanted regular first team football.  

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

and I honestly wouldn't be bothered if we payed the lot off and started again from scratch.

Mellon included? Would you trust him to start from scratch?

59 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Mellon included? Would you trust him to start from scratch?

It's a tough one given his style of play, if he were allowed to keep who he wanted and sign another dozen I think he'd have us playing, he certainly wouldn't have such an imbalanced lopsided squad.

For what it's worth I think he will start next season (that's if he wants to), what he's allowed to do in the transfer market and the amount he can shift out will probably dictate how next season goes for us, hopefully the Rothwells still have some money left in the pot because there is no point getting the sticking plasters out with this squad.

38 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a tough one given his style of play, if he were allowed to keep who he wanted and sign another dozen I think he'd have us playing, he certainly wouldn't have such an imbalanced lopsided squad.

For what it's worth I think he will start next season (that's if he wants to), what he's allowed to do in the transfer market and the amount he can shift out will probably dictate how next season goes for us, hopefully the Rothwells still have some money left in the pot because there is no point getting the sticking plasters out with this squad.

Remember the good old days when we all moaned at a lack of continuity and constant summer rebuilds due to short contracts/loans?

Now we can't wait to get rid of half of them because recruitment has been scattergun and bizarre (Windass anyone?).

By my reckoning we have 18 players contracted beyond this summer. MM probably needs to somehow shift six or seven  of them, together with the vast majority of those whose deals are up, to be able to rebalance and strengthen the squad.

Edited by Boyyou
  • Like 1