I’m not Hogan’s biggest fan, but when you see how Hobson has played this season and Raglan at times, at least Hogan looks to play it a bit whereas those two just seem to go route one.

Absolutely no issue having him here one more season, but absolutely not as a starter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I’m not Hogan’s biggest fan, but when you see how Hobson has played this season and Raglan at times, at least Hogan looks to play it a bit whereas those two just seem to go route one.

Absolutely no issue having him here one more season, but absolutely not as a starter.

Have a feeling that McGahey and Gardner will get 12 months. MM seems to like their attitude. Maybe not regular starters in future but as squad men.

19 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Have a feeling that McGahey and Gardner will get 12 months. MM seems to like their attitude. Maybe not regular starters in future but as squad men.

Gardner has shown that he is comfortably our best midfielder in the last few games. Now that could be because he's out-of-contract Dan so has upped his game.

I can see him being offered another year, but with pay skewed towards him playing. So a reduced basic wage but a playing bonus that significantly increases his salary.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Gardner has shown that he is comfortably our best midfielder in the last few games. Now that could be because he's out-of-contract Dan so has upped his game.

I can see him being offered another year, but with pay skewed towards him playing. So a reduced basic wage but a playing bonus that significantly increases his salary.

I’ll be amazed if he’s offered any sort of deal. Massive squad issues this season and MM will surely release everyone he possibly can to try and free up wages for his own squad. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, daniel said:

I’ll be amazed if he’s offered any sort of deal. Massive squad issues this season and MM will surely release everyone he possibly can to try and free up wages for his own squad. 

Big change undoubtedly  needed but he may not be able to do it all in one transfer window. Depends who is available. 

26 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Id keep him if money was infinite, easily out best player on the ball. But it isn’t and he’s old and injury prone so got to go.

34yo old on Friday.

Joe Garner 36 a week later.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

34yo old on Friday.

Joe Garner 36 a week later.

Can’t offer Gardner another deal with his fitness issues surely?

I have to question whether we even needed Garner, the money should have been saved or spent on a RB or another midfielder.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Can’t offer Gardner another deal with his fitness issues surely?

I have to question whether we even needed Garner, the money should have been saved or spent on a RB or another midfielder.

Do we really know what Gardners injury is and can it be treated with a 3 months pre season break?

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Do we really know what Gardners injury is and can it be treated with a 3 months pre season break?

He’s our best midfield player by a mile, always said he has been, but it’s time for him to go. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He's had plenty of breaks mid season the last few years without curing the problem(s).

He is a decent midfielder when fit but can't be relied on. Best he can hope for is a "pay as you play" deal.

29 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He's had plenty of breaks mid season the last few years without curing the problem(s).

He is a decent midfielder when fit but can't be relied on. Best he can hope for is a "pay as you play" deal.

Yes, I wonder what his long standing injury problem is though that he's put up with for years now?

17 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

He came in very useful during the period Norwood was out with a hamstring injury so I'd suggest he was needed.

46 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He came in very useful during the period Norwood was out with a hamstring injury so I'd suggest he was needed.

But we haven’t made the playoffs so perhaps we could have used the money elsewhere. An 18 month deal for a 36 year old who doesn’t look too mobile and spends a lot of his time on his arse seems poor value to me!

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

But we haven’t made the playoffs so perhaps we could have used the money elsewhere. An 18 month deal for a 36 year old who doesn’t look too mobile and spends a lot of his time on his arse seems poor value to me!

I think we need to let this one play out. I was only correcting your opinion that a centre forward was needed in January and Norwood's six week hamstring layoff proved it. The staff would have suspected this was a likelihood particularly when it came out that Norwood would have missed the Eastleigh match if it passed the pitch inspection in January.

If we'd have used the money elsewhere we'd have had Fondop and, er, Hope up front for those matches.

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think we need to let this one play out. I was only correcting your opinion that a centre forward was needed in January and Norwood's six week hamstring layoff proved it. The staff would have suspected this was a likelihood particularly when it came out that Norwood would have missed the Eastleigh match if it passed the pitch inspection in January.

If we'd have used the money elsewhere we'd have had Fondop and, er, Hope up front for those matches.

Maybe so but surely a loan signing would have been better than giving a near 36 year old an 18 month deal?

He’ll be on a good contract no doubt and if Norwood were to leave would you really want him as your main striker next season?

I like the "edge" that Garner gives us, it's something we have been missing for a while, my only criticism would be is that he overplays it a bit too much, there is a fine line somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I like the "edge" that Garner gives us, it's something we have been missing for a while, my only criticism would be is that he overplays it a bit too much, there is a fine line somewhere. 

I was really pleased when I heard we'd signed him, 

Yes, I'm blinkered from seeing what a top striker he was for PNE but even now, I still think he's got plenty to offer at this level or the one above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I think he has been another shocking signing. Perfect example of giving an aging player too long a contract and boy have we had/got plenty of these. Looking forward to him passing to a blue shirt some time in the future(next year unfortunately) cos he ain't done it so far.

He could fall off the'edge' tomorrow as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/april/09042024-hogan-community-award/

Congratulations to Liam Hogan - well deserved from what I read.

interesting snippet from the article:

“Liam has been a real leader when it comes to our community projects, he’s made our lives so much easier by being so accommodating and up for helping out.“

Let’s see more of that leadership on the pitch please 😃

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/april/09042024-hogan-community-award/

Congratulations to Liam Hogan - well deserved from what I read.

interesting snippet from the article:

“Liam has been a real leader when it comes to our community projects, he’s made our lives so much easier by being so accommodating and up for helping out.“

Let’s see more of that leadership on the pitch please 😃

Does he have ambitions to get into coaching/management do we know?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Anyone catch what Hogan said on TNT

Matt Smith: 'I guess Liam, as much as we're delighted to have your company, slightly bittersweet for you. I imagine you'd rather be out there with your boots on!'

Liam Hogan: 'It's massively painful, It's still now heightened in and around the club and in the dressing room'

'We were in there and we let it slide, by quite a lot'

'For us now there will be a lot of repairs over the summer so that going forward we can go for promotion'

'We're looking and thinking that there shouldn't have been 7 better sides than us this season - but that wasn't the case and we will now look for the answers'

'It's important to bridge the gap between the players and supporters to make sure that we can achieve promotion' 

'We need to be better and take a look at ourselves ahead of the summer'

This is a v rough transcript.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Matt Smith: 'I guess Liam, as much as we're delighted to have your company, slightly bittersweet for you. I imagine you'd rather be out there with your boots on!'

Liam Hogan: 'It's massively painful, It's still now heightened in and around the club and in the dressing room'

'We were in there and we let it slide, by quite a lot'

'For us now there will be a lot of repairs over the summer so that going forward we can go for promotion'

'We're looking and thinking that there shouldn't have been 7 better sides than us this season - but that wasn't the case and we will now look for the answers'

'It's important to bridge the gap between the players and supporters to make sure that we can achieve promotion' 

'We need to be better and take a look at ourselves ahead of the summer'

This is a v rough transcript.

Words are meaningless. He and every single player can fuck off. I am not ready to be reflective 

• Like 1