Gary Kelly

I was told about Gary's illness last week and it has been confirmed in the programme. So sad, I think the win today should be dedicated to him and his family, i'm sure all our thoughts and prayers are with them at what must be a horrendously difficult time for Gary and his family. Get well soon mate, I hope we see you back at BP very soon.

Whats up with him? and i take it its the former goalkeeper. Hope he gets well soon :(

Gary was having problems with him arm after his masters appearance in the summer. He was found to have cancer within the limb and most of it was amputated. Unfortunately that was not the end of it and he faces further surgery and a fight for survical, terrible news.

Just back from the match feeling on top of the world, and that news has brought me down to earth with a bump! If ever people needed convincing that life is more important than football, this is a graphic illustration.

It was only in June that Gary was voted Player of the Tournament in the Northern Masters, while playing for Newcastle.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1033140,00.html

You never know what is round the corner.

Keep fighting Gary - our thoughts and prayers are with you.

DS......a benefit game needs arranging! It's a must and it'll get a good crowd too IMO. Time to get heads together and make it happen coz he's the Tony Carss of goalkeepers! A legend! And it's time our club came together for him IMO!

Edited by boundaryblue80

DS......a benefit game needs arranging! It's a must and it'll get a good crowd too IMO. Time to get heads together and make it happen coz he's the Tony Carss of goalkeepers! A legend! And it's time our club came together for him IMO!

Your opinion is spot-on BB. I've emailed Alan Hardy suggesting the same thing.

It would be a great gesture if Newcastle organised one for Gary, but if not they would be fitting opponents to come to BP. There might not be many fans of Bury, Leigh RMI and Northwich Vics, but most of them would turn out for such a good cause.

If he could manage behind that crap defence he can blitz the Big C no problem whatsoever.

All the best Gary.

Legend.

Watching the Great North Run, started by Bobby Robson looking so well after his health problems, and seeing all those running for good causes, it brings home to you how grateful we should be for the work done by cancer reasearch charities. Let's hope Gary can be a beneficiary. :pray:

Aw my thoughts are with you Gary and your family ... i always remember the game away to Barrow in the cup ... we had no other keeper available to play in the cup and Kelly played with a knee brace on ... couldnt really kick, could hardly move and still pulled off one or two amazing saves to guide us through.

Hope you make a speedy recovery fella! And thanks for the inspiration of my OWTB`s name :)

Edited by kellys_discopants

A true BP legend who will always be remembered for his performances behind what was sometimes a dodgy defence. So sad that he should be fighting this dreadful disease. Agree with Diego - a benefit match against Newcastle should be arranged. With Gary as guest of honour naturally.

Keeping fighting Gary, the people of Oldham, the club and its supporters all over the country are rooting for you.

The last thing I want is for people to start slagging off the club with a kneejerk reaction to what I'm about to post about the benefit idea. Gemma06 refers on the Legend thread to the unknown - how Gary is handling his horrible situation - further surgery is planned and his very survival is unsure.

Alan Hardy has replied to my email:

"Awful news about Gary.

I have to agree he was perhaps one of the best 'keepers I have seen at Boundary Park since I joined the club.

I don't know what Newcastle would want to do in this instance but I guess they would not want to set a precedent as I am sure there will be a number of ex-players who may find themselves in a similar position, and of course they would not be able to have a benefit game for all of them.

I know that the PFA have policies in place to cover situations like this and I am sure that they are aware of Gary's condition and are helping all they can."

As I say please don't jump on the Club's back if you feel that the reply does not meet your wishes. Gary would not want that.

The last thing I want is for people to start slagging off the club with a kneejerk reaction to what I'm about to post about the benefit idea. Gemma06 refers on the Legend thread to the unknown - how Gary is handling his horrible situation - further surgery is planned and his very survival is unsure.

Alan Hardy has replied to my email:

"Awful news about Gary.

I have to agree he was perhaps one of the best 'keepers I have seen at Boundary Park since I joined the club.

I don't know what Newcastle would want to do in this instance but I guess they would not want to set a precedent as I am sure there will be a number of ex-players who may find themselves in a similar position, and of course they would not be able to have a benefit game for all of them.

I know that the PFA have policies in place to cover situations like this and I am sure that they are aware of Gary's condition and are helping all they can."

As I say please don't jump on the Club's back if you feel that the reply does not meet your wishes. Gary would not want that.

I don't think there is any need to jump on the club's back TBH. This illness is sadly all to prevelant, and it's a fair point that if either club does this for one then we shall have to do it for all. Maybe some other suggestions could be put forward such as bucket collections and maybe a supporters club benefit night and then those who wish to make a contribution can.