• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, theres a clever boy.

I believe you sit in the stands also?

Football is about opinion and debate, why write someone else's opinon off (OldhamSheridan) when you dont even have the decency to debate the issue?

I belive the stats speak for themselves.....last year he scored alot and assisted a heck of alot....he produced.....but he was also critised...

I have an opinion...but i also accept Shez has forgot more about football than I will ever know...I think some of you lot need to learn that as well...

Edited by oafc0000

I belive the stats speak for themselves.....last year he scored alot and assisted a heck of alot....he produced.....but he was also critised...

I have an opinion...but I also accept Shez has forgot more about football than I will ever know...I think some of you lot need to learn that as well...

The Stats can speak for themselves, and to be fair there have been a couple of games where there is at least some production. The goal being the obvious one, and the chance he missed against Leeds (provided by Davies on the, err, left).

However, I'd be inclined to mention that most of last seasons good stuff happened earlier in the season and he fell away dramatically and hasn't really returned in any way. But watching the games certain things have crept into his game. When receiving the ball he no longer moves towards the oppositions goal, but turns around and feed the ball back to Eardley. Whether this is because Eardley is not making any runs past him any more, or Eardley doesn't make the runs past him any more as he can't possibly receive the ball whilst Liddell is facing in the opposite direction is neither here nor there. The best part of Eardleys game is his ability to get forward, if he isn't doing that then half of his game is gone and half of our attacking ability (if not more) down that side is gone. Whether shifting Taylor onto his correct foot is the way out remains to be seen, but I personally think it is worth a go as he just doesn't have much of an end result (for all the promise) whilst playing on the left.

I am aware that Sheridan, being an ex-professional footabller, and a manager, and a person who sees these players day in day out may know more about football than I. However I think it is of that period of time when loyalty to Liddell has to be foregone to making the team better. I'd love nothing better than to be proven wrong.

Lol....was going to edit my last post....anyway...as it wont let me (admin, it seems if it's X big, ya can't edit it it) anyway........

Just fooking amazed at Gemma post there.....comparing Lids...........

Adams (please, no, seriously...................PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lids.....a very, very poor Adams!!! Not even close!!!)

Eyres...."Lids has never had any real pace though, neither had Eyres"................just cannot, SERIOUSLY....cannot believe this comment. You must be.....????????Well...who knows???? Eyres had no pace.....hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eyres got slated for beating his man...then, beating his man. And then............beating his man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eyres got slated coz he did them and didn't put the ball in......Eyres never had pace..............WASH YA MOUTH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Eyres or Lids in my team...........ha...........even the blind know!

And the fantastic finale.............Holden....................PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Lids has some fans but :censored: me.................that's the funniest post I've read on OWTB!!!!!!! Yes, I'm responding in such a condescending way.....but is there any other way to it? I can't believe my eyes.......Eyres....no pace????????? and Holden????????????????????? There is no way to respond to it..............Stick up for Lids but please.................do not even try to compare him to Eyres (God!), Adams (legend) and Holden (a right back)...................Liddell will slump away from the Latics in the summer (relieving over 4k a week in wages!) and be long, long forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly try reading my post properly i didn't say that Liddell has played as well for us as the other players i mentioned did, just that none of the wingers i mentioned were lightning quick - tho as i stated i could be wrong with Adams and Holden(thats Rick Holden.....a left winger......) as i was very young when i was watching them but their pace just doesn't stand out in my memory of them. Eyres wasn't quick for a winger, he beat his man with skill.

Eyres, Holden, Adams are all Latics legends i am fully aware of that, and i'm also aware that Liddell will not be remembered at the this club in a similar way

Oh and Liddell gets paid no where near 4k a week i know that for a fact

Edited by Gemma06

The Stats can speak for themselves, and to be fair there have been a couple of games where there is at least some production. The goal being the obvious one, and the chance he missed against Leeds (provided by Davies on the, err, left).

However, I'd be inclined to mention that most of last seasons good stuff happened earlier in the season and he fell away dramatically and hasn't really returned in any way. But watching the games certain things have crept into his game. When receiving the ball he no longer moves towards the oppositions goal, but turns around and feed the ball back to Eardley. Whether this is because Eardley is not making any runs past him any more, or Eardley doesn't make the runs past him any more as he can't possibly receive the ball whilst Liddell is facing in the opposite direction is neither here nor there. The best part of Eardleys game is his ability to get forward, if he isn't doing that then half of his game is gone and half of our attacking ability (if not more) down that side is gone. Whether shifting Taylor onto his correct foot is the way out remains to be seen, but I personally think it is worth a go as he just doesn't have much of an end result (for all the promise) whilst playing on the left.

I am aware that Sheridan, being an ex-professional footabller, and a manager, and a person who sees these players day in day out may know more about football than I. However I think it is of that period of time when loyalty to Liddell has to be foregone to making the team better. I'd love nothing better than to be proven wrong.

Everyone fell away towards end of the season! Not just Lidds!!!

Also regarding loyalty to LIdds.....EVERYONE seems to forget we dont have a better option!

Edited by oafc0000

Where was Davies' last goal scored from?? That's right, from the left at Walsall.

Ok lets play are forwards on the left hand side of midfield.....we will play gregan upfront and lets put Lidds in the net......

lol...latics fans always know best dont they! We got it right about Rugby Ron didnt we.... Also I see Killen and Porter are struggling up north.....and were not missing haining....no, not one bit....

Edited by oafc0000

Ok lets play are forwards on the left hand side of midfield.....we will play gregan upfront and lets put Lidds in the net......

lol...latics fans always know best dont they! We got it right about Rugby Ron didnt we.... Also I see Killen and Porter are struggling up north.....and were not missing haining....no, not one bit....

Yes, of course that's what be are advocating. Gregan up front and Liddell in net. Pull yourself together. We're taking about playing a player in a position where he spends half his time anyway and is quite handy at, not sticking him left back or owt.

As for the Ronnie/Killen/Porter/Haining comments, how are you to know what our thoughts on these were?

(Porter's a mute point anyway)

Yes, of course that's what be are advocating. Gregan up front and Liddell in net. Pull yourself together. We're taking about playing a player in a position where he spends half his time anyway and is quite handy at, not sticking him left back or owt.

As for the Ronnie/Killen/Porter/Haining comments, how are you to know what our thoughts on these were?

(Porter's a mute point anyway)

Someone actually did suggest playing Gregan up front last week.......i think it was coco...no surprise there :P

I dont know what YOUR thoughts where but I remember the general concencus.....it was like pissing in the wind trying to argue against it....Killen was pretending to be injured and Porter was lazy...pish....I just wouldnt be surprised if it was the same peopel saying that, that say lidds legs have gone :P

Edited by oafc0000

Shock horror, trying a player in a different postion? Bertrand used to be a midfielder, as did Gregan and Eardley! Lidds used to be a forward (and still can be). Somebody should tell them to get back in postion otherwise you may be upset.

Shock horror, trying a player in a different postion? Bertrand used to be a midfielder, as did Gregan and Eardley! Lidds used to be a forward (and still can be). Somebody should tell them to get back in postion otherwise you may be upset.

Peoples number one complaint about Mcclearn is he plays players out of there team postions.....

Over the last couple of months all I have heard is lets try Taylor in the middle, Davies on the left, Gregan upfront (yes someone suggested this), Lidds in the middle.......

Whats next ? Ricketts in defence ?? Your all mad!! Allott used to be a forward and is now a midfielder....its worked him dropping to midfield (although I still dont rate him).....but it rarely works.... Its mostly a mistake to :censored: around...

Peoples number one complaint about Mcclearn is he plays players out of there team postions.....

Over the last couple of months all I have heard is lets try Taylor in the middle, Davies on the left, Gregan upfront (yes someone suggested this), Lidds in the middle.......

Whats next ? Ricketts in defence ?? Your all mad!! Allott used to be a forward and is now a midfielder....its worked him dropping to midfield (although I still dont rate him).....but it rarely works.... Its mostly a mistake to :censored: around...

Yeah, but what's wrong with keeping an open mind and trying it out? The only thing that I am thinking about is putting Taylor on the right (his natural position) and Davies on the left (where he ALWAYS drifts to and has scored from there anyway).

Yeah, but what's wrong with keeping an open mind and trying it out? The only thing that I am thinking about is putting Taylor on the right (his natural position) and Davies on the left (where he ALWAYS drifts to and has scored from there anyway).

I think having a conversation about which side Taylor plays on is fine....

I think talking about playing a forward in midfield because he once covered there and scored a goal is a little bit of difference.....I didnt go Wallsall so I cant comment further...

As for opened mind thats cool, but some of the suggestions I hear on here are crazy....boardering on become what I posted above...aka Lidds in the net....

Guest sheridans_world
I think having a conversation about which side Taylor plays on is fine....

I think talking about playing a forward in midfield because he once covered there and scored a goal is a little bit of difference.....I didnt go Wallsall so I cant comment further...

As for opened mind thats cool, but some of the suggestions I hear on here are crazy....boardering on become what I posted above...aka Lidds in the net....

How about playing three in midfield, Allott, Killer and Taylor, then playing Davies, Wolfy and Ricketts up front. That way Davies can cover the left wing when needed and Ricketts the right

Oh wait what am i doing? Debating an issue?, thinking how we can get more out of the players we have? Why am i doing it? Becuase i want to see us win. Stop being such a flaming pedant!

How about playing three in midfield, Allott, Killer and Taylor, then playing Davies, Wolfy and Ricketts up front. That way Davies can cover the left wing when needed and Ricketts the right

Oh wait what am i doing? Debating an issue?, thinking how we can get more out of the players we have? Why am i doing it? Becuase i want to see us win. Stop being such a flaming pedant!

Want to know the difference .... your talking sense now.....

Firstly try reading my post properly i didn't say that Liddell has played as well for us as the other players i mentioned did, just that none of the wingers i mentioned were lightning quick - tho as i stated i could be wrong with Adams and Holden(thats Rick Holden.....a left winger......) as i was very young when i was watching them but their pace just doesn't stand out in my memory of them. Eyres wasn't quick for a winger, he beat his man with skill.

Eyres, Holden, Adams are all Latics legends i am fully aware of that, and i'm also aware that Liddell will not be remembered at the this club in a similar way

Oh and Liddell gets paid no where near 4k a week i know that for a fact

Spot on about eyres, Adams and Holden they had no more pace than liddel has or had. They had a trick or two and could turn a defender inside out thus creating a huge amount of space and beating their defender.

Edited by laticsmad

Spot on about eyres, Adams and Holden they had no more pace than liddel has or had. They had a trick or two and could turn a defender inside out thus creating a huge amount of space and beating their defender.

And there we have it.....Lids doesn't even have that.

And there we have it.....Lids doesn't even have that.

sorry pal but you're making no sense at all! I was correcting your mis-interpretation of another posters comments. Just wondering if you actually bother read other people's posts properly.

Edited by laticsmad