Footballing brains? :mmm:

Yep. Just like Gazza; Merson and plenty of others. Not saying Ricketts and Hughes have the same talent but they understand the game and you don't need to be a rocket scientist.

What do you think of Ricketts' ball control or are you just going to cherry pick like normal?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want someone to win headers and make the ball stick, put Gregan upfront, he never loses a header.

Ricketts needs to start being a threat in the box by getting into positions and not standing there with hands on knees.

I think you are deliberately avoiding the point. I'm not talking about clearing headers or flick ons, I'm talking about ball control skills that enable us to build an attack or simply retain possession. There is a massive difference between a Centre Backs' heading skills and those of a Centre Forward.

So where are you on the Craig Davies debate? By that I mean the fact he's never there to pick up the flicks and passes from Ricketts. If he were - and had the ability to clinically finish - then he'd be the Leagues Top Scorer by now I reckon.

Or does it not matter because he runs about a lot?

You don't think Gregan could play as a target man (take goalscoring out)?

The fact is Davies is scoring goals and a far bigger threat to defences than Ricketts ever will be for us, you play to his strengths, there were times on Sat and last night when Ricketts won the ball and Davies made a run only for Ricketts to pass it to their defender, who's fault is that. It works both ways for people questioning Davies, where is Ricketts when Davies gets to the by line ?and puts a ball across, if it happens outside of the first 40 mins the answer is jogging to six yard box.

The fact is Davies is scoring goals and a far bigger threat to defences than Ricketts ever will be for us, you play to his strengths, there were times on Sat and last night when Ricketts won the ball and Davies made a run only for Ricketts to pass it to their defender, who's fault is that. It works both ways for people questioning Davies, where is Ricketts when Davies gets to the by line ?and puts a ball across, if it happens outside of the first 40 mins the answer is jogging to six yard box.

Tell you what, you answer my question and then ask me one. I'll even make it multiple choice for you.

Do you think that Ricketts has an excellent first touch which instantly brings the ball under control?

A. Yes - he has got an excellent first touch and this is the first positive post I have ever made on an Oldham Messageboard.

or

B. No - I am so totally blinkered that I will continue to fail to see anything positive in someone who I wrote off before he had pulled on an Oldham shirt.

Just a bit of fun as I know that you will avoid the issue in order to maintain your persona. :D

Having seen every game that Davies has played, I love to see him in the side and I think he's one of the most exciting players that we have had for years. He lacks composure in front of goal though and is too greedy. Your question is therefore hypothetical as Ricketts would not get a pass since Davies will already have tried shooting. Just like he has done on many occasions recently with only the last minute effort at Walsall being succesful.

Play to strengths by all means. That means getting a poacher alongside Ricketts and using Davies on the wing where his pace can be devestating.

Tell you what, you answer my question and then ask me one. I'll even make it multiple choice for you.

Do you think that Ricketts has an excellent first touch which instantly brings the ball under control?

A. Yes - he has got an excellent first touch and this is the first positive post I have ever made on an Oldham Messageboard.

or

B. No - I am so totally blinkered that I will continue to fail to see anything positive in someone who I wrote off before he had pulled on an Oldham shirt.

Just a bit of fun as I know that you will avoid the issue in order to maintain your persona. :D

Having seen every game that Davies has played, I love to see him in the side and I think he's one of the most exciting players that we have had for years. He lacks composure in front of goal though and is too greedy. Your question is therefore hypothetical as Ricketts would not get a pass since Davies will already have tried shooting. Just like he has done on many occasions recently with only the last minute effort at Walsall being succesful.

Play to strengths by all means. That means getting a poacher alongside Ricketts and using Davies on the wing where his pace can be devestating.

lol!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Coco - when did you land on this Planet ????

Do you honestly think that SG could play as a target man ?

Do you honestly think that SG doesn't lose any headers ?

Can you not see the postive play that Ricketts brings to the team ?

Do you understand football ?

and the headless chicken that goes by the name of Davis did any better........... I think not

I felt Davies had a fairly decent game up to the point when he was clipped after beating his man early in the 2nd half. After that point he lost his head and talked himself into a booking several minutes later by continuing to whinge to the ref about the incident. He also seemed hell bent on taking his own revenge due to The Leeds United Ref being true to form and giving us nowt. A few of my mates were screaming for him to be subbed to avoid what was looking like an inevitable sending off. Personally, I was glad Shez didn't take him off, as it would have been his own stupidity that got him sent off and in my opinion I think he will have learned a lot from trying to control his temper - Shez can have a word in private after the match.

As for Ricketts, I refuse to get drawn into the 'He's crap he is' debate as it pisses me off each and every season that the same old Boo Boys @ BP have this mentality that someone has to be crucified because, and I quote "he [insert Players Name/Season] doesn't look interested". I'm not a massive fan of Ricketts, but destroying what little confidence he does have is completely and utterly pointless IMO. This has happened year on year for far too many seasons now, and probably contributes to why we struggle so much in games nowadays.

One theory as to why Shez may have kept Ricketts on instead of Wolfenden could be down to experience. Ricketts would be used to such a hard game where the defence give little/nothing away, whereas Wolfy has played a handful of first team games to date.

I know how you feel about letting off steam. I said to a mate this morning that I hadn't felt this gutted after a match since the QPR play-off defeat. Ridiculous really as we only dropped a point at a relatively early part of the Season. I'm just about coming to terms with it now but it really was a hammer blow.

I rarely criticise players on here (and never do at matches) but privately, I have wanted Lidds dropped for some time. I think though he has been working really hard recently and is actually trying to do things (like beating a man) which were alien to him last Season. It may be a good call to try him up front but the pace and "fox in the box" qualities of Wolfy are what we need.

I'd keep Lidds in and play CD on the left in place of Taylor. He could always come on in the second haf to replace Liddell.

Still, it's all down to Shez and he knows his players far better than any of us.

Lids behind the front two....only place he's truly effective when he's been played there. Even was gearing up for that in pre-seasons. His legs can't play RW anymore.....and Lids can fill the abyss we had on the edge of our attacking 3rd on Tues night.

Regarding Ricketts....improve the service to him before people slag him off. Poor guy looks like the lone ranger upfront most times. This 1-dimensional play just doesn't fit Ricketts game at all....that header (where he was shoved right in the back) came from the 1st cross of it's type, all season. Ricketts has been making them runs all season, and instead we've had Taylor sticking the ball right over him to the penalty spot. That cross was more direct, wanting a glancing header (which he couldn't produce due to the shove) and is the first ball he's had that suits his game. More of that please...instead of Taylor and Lids just hitting thoughtless crosses to where no-one is.

Also, as some have said, Killen and Porter were called lazy. When they got service they scored goals when fit. That was the problem...service AND fitness. Ricketts isn't anywhere near full fitness. Not only that, people say "he won't score goals"....funny that, those who didn't rate Warne (and yes, I know quite a lot) all used that claim of "he doesn't score goals." It's a tired claim that's passing from striker to striker.....Warne got around 9-10 goals each time for us. If Ricketts gets close to that and sets others up, he'll have done his job. Until the service does improve though....neither he nor Davies deserves the stick they get.

Coco - when did you land on this Planet ????

Do you honestly think that SG could play as a target man ?

Do you honestly think that SG doesn't lose any headers ?

Can you not see the postive play that Ricketts brings to the team ?

Do you understand football ?

Yep I clearly know nothing about Football, I bow down to the knowledge of people who believe a striker who's scored 16 goals in 4 half years is going to fire us up the division, he's doing a cracking job of it at the moment :imnotworthy: .

Yep I clearly know nothing about Football, I bow down to the knowledge of people who believe a striker who's scored 16 goals in 4 half years is going to fire us up the division, he's doing a cracking job of it at the moment :imnotworthy: .

It's taken 3yrs for Micheal Owen to net 16 league goals....England striker/saviour....and he's meant to be an out and out striker, unlike Ricketts.....stats look great sometimes, don't they! Ricketts has had injuries too, before you start with that sh** about Owen...

Simple fact is, Ricketts ain't a goalscorer....he's a link-up man. Anyway, I didn't agree on a 3yr deal etc. but he's here....you choose not to like him from day one....in your word of fairness! Clearly you weren't at Walsall or are just blind, if you could only half-praise him like you did on Saturday. Infact, he's played ok from day one...nowt special, but then with the support and service he's been given....at times, it'd make him look as useless as you or I on a pitch!

Edited by boundaryblue80

It's taken 3yrs for Micheal Owen to net 16 league goals....England striker/saviour....and he's meant to be an out and out striker, unlike Ricketts.....stats look great sometimes, don't they! Ricketts has had injuries too, before you start with that sh** about Owen...

Simple fact is, Ricketts ain't a goalscorer....he's a link-up man. Anyway, I didn't agree on a 3yr deal etc. but he's here....you choose not to like him from day one....in your word of fairness! Clearly you weren't at Walsall or are just blind, if you could only half-praise him like you did on Saturday. Infact, he's played ok from day one...nowt special, but then with the support and service he's been given....at times, it'd make him look as useless as you or I on a pitch!

I believe that the strike pairing and how they work together give the impression to the Fans. Ricketts and Davies are not gelling at the moment because Davies is not playing to Ricketts strengths. Ricketts holds up the ball and also gets the flicks on through defences. Davies looks to pull wide at every opportunity, yes... I know he see's himself as a winger!! (I don't know why because Sheridan has obviously told him to play through the middle, but he won't or can't.) I really believe Sheridan should give Wolfenden a run alongside Ricketts just until Davies gets his touch and confidence back. Wolfenden appears to enjoy bursting through onto the knock downs and has shown already he has the confidence to take on the shot. I like Davies and believe he has enormous potential but the two of them are not working at the moment. I was one of the first to question Ricketts signing but have been increasingly impressed with his application and skill. His fitness is not quite there yet but he is still currently more effective then Davies.

KTF :lol::)

Edited by happyterryb

After watching people rip apart Porters abilities last year, besides scoring all those goals, I fear for any latics player..... We do like to rip apart are players dont we... From what I have been hearing, he isnt exactly struggling up north either..

You've just got to keep posting your opinion to maintain the balance. Thats why this board was set up (I think).

KTF (In Ricketts, Davies et al)

Edited by happyterryb

Thats ok Coco... get yourself down to HMV and buy some old DVD School school coaching videos and treat yourself .. :grin:

Yep I clearly know nothing about Football, I bow down to the knowledge of people who believe a striker who's scored 16 goals in 4 half years is going to fire us up the division,

John Sheridan will be smiling this morning over his coffee that you are thankful of his superior footballing knowledge.

Coco, just one question are you a latics fan? I have noticed that out of every 10 comments you make 9 are negative (usually against ricketts) and 1 is begrudgingly positive. Now you do make some good points but as a latics fan, supposedly I really don't know, I think you need to get behind the players and the team abit more. Maybe then people will listen to your opinion more often and recognise the valid points you make. However, I feel the damage has been done! Anyway, keep posting mate and let's hope latics can turn around our season.

After watching people rip apart Porters abilities last year, besides scoring all those goals, I fear for any latics player..... We do like to rip apart are players dont we... From what I have been hearing, he isnt exactly struggling up north either..

Totally agree mate nothing more some oldham fans enjoy than ripping apart players for no valid reason apart from obvious superior footballing knowledge! The abuse Ricketts was getting at Walsall from idiots round us was embarrising...so we then started to take the piss blaming ricketts for everything even when he was off the pitch im sure some of them thought we were serious and joined in!

Amidst all this Pro/Anti Ricketts posting, one thing does jump out at me is:-

Numerous people keep defending Ricketts with "he's not fit comments"

WHY is he not fit??????

He had a full pre-season including 5 pre season friendlies.

We have now played 11 competitive matches, so thats 16 matches in total. He has started the vast majority of these.

He's also been training with the club for about 14 weeks so should be pretty fit by now unless we are doing something badly wrong in training.

How many more matches and how much more time do people think he's going to need to 'get fit'??

I'm not his biggest fan but thought he did alright the other night against Dirty Leeds, it just strikes me that I can't see any reason why he should be any less fit than the rest of the squad at this stage in the season.

Guest sheridans_world

or

:grin: Like how he still hasnt answered!

WHY is he not fit??????

We have now played 11 competitive matches, so thats 16 matches in total. He has started the vast majority of these.

He's also been training with the club for about 14 weeks so should be pretty fit by now unless we are doing something badly wrong in training.

How many more matches and how much more time do people think he's going to need to 'get fit'??

I'm not his biggest fan but thought he did alright the other night against Dirty Leeds, it just strikes me that I can't see any reason why he should be any less fit than the rest of the squad at this stage in the season.

I agree he should definitely be fit by now, no excuses there, a lot of people are attacking him on the grounds of being one of the worst forwards to ever pull on a latics shirt, which is utter utter nonsense. Especially when compared to the hero worshipping Hughes is getting when he hasnt faired any better leading the line!

WHY is he not fit??????

He is carrying injuries if he wasn't he would probably have played for 90mins more. I think people assume he is unfit because when watching him during the game he does look disinterested at times though i'm sure he is interested it's just his body language doesnt give that impression

:grin: Like how he still hasnt answered!

He never answers direct points which don't fit his purpose. Like I've said on many occasions, he's created and is maintaining a persona on here and nothing he does or says will sway from that. Hats off to him because it is very clever and his haul of "fish" means his keepnet is constantly bulging. There's no point getting excited about it all though as he's just playing games.

I'm sure in person, he's a really decent bloke with positive views as well as negative ones. He's also clearly a dedicated and loyal Latics fan who cares about the Club.

And oafc0000, I like Oldham Rugby as well but that doesn't make me a bad or bitter person!

WHY is he not fit??????

In a nut shell, there a 5 components of fitness:

Cardiovascular Endurance

Muscular Strength

Muscular endurance

Flexibility

Body Composition

A footballer can train to achieve an optimum level of fitness in all 5 but if he is not match sharp then any level of fitness will not help.

Lee Hughes, Michael Ricketts and other footballers who have long lay off lose match sharpness, their ability to control a ball, hit the ball with right enough power to complete a pass, to run into the right space, to hit the ball right to get the shot on target all suffers when they haven't played in competitive games.

Activating fast-twitch motor units between the brain and muscle groups takes time... normally takes approx 2 months or 10 games competitive games. ! ( nerdy smile )

Guest sheridans_world
And oafc0000, I like Oldham Rugby as well but that doesn't make me a bad or bitter person!

Debatable :tongue1::wink:

I totally agree mate, i would like to meet him more to see what he is actually like than this personallity he has created ala Murrayzmint.

I rate Ricketts, his first touch is amazing and you can see why he made it at the top flight, he is struggling a bit with that groin strain he picked up before Hartlepool.

Cant wait for tommorow!