Ricketts - A Model Pro

Money keen to keep Ricketts

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC striker Michael Ricketts looks set to make a permanent move away from Boundary Park when the transfer window opens next month.

Ricketts is currently on loan at Walsall, but Saddlers boss Richard Money has heaped praise on the ex-England man and dubbed him a role model to younger players.

Athletic signed Ricketts in the summer and he scored two goals in 12 appearances before being farmed out on a three-month loan deal.

The 29-year-old went ‘home’ as Walsall, who visit Boundary Park at the end of this month, were his first club. He has since scored twice in seven games for the Midlands side.

Outlining his desire to keep Ricketts, Money said: “Michael has come in, and I have to say he has been exemplary. His work ethic and attitude in training have been top class and he has shown people what a good player he is.

“Our players respect him because of the way he goes about his work. If a young player wants to know how to develop into a first-teamer, then he just has to look at Michael in training and in matches.

“There is no doubt we would like to keep him for a longer period, but until the transfer window opens it’s not really possible to explore that.

“I haven’t really discussed it with Michael yet, but I think he is happy with his work and the environment here. Hopefully something can be sorted out.”

Ricketts was allowed to play for Walsall in the FA Cup – and he will also play against Athletic in the game at Boundary Park on December 29.

Meanwhile, manager John Sheridan is demanding maximum points when Athletic tackle old rivals Doncaster Rovers tomorrow.

Sheridan’s men are unbeaten in seven games, but their last two league outings at home have ended in draws against Port Vale and Luton.

Sheridan said: “Draws keep your run going, but we need to start winning more games. I won’t be happy with anything less, even though we know Doncaster are a very good side.”

ATHLETIC (from): Crossley, Eardley, Trotman, Stam, Bertrand, Allott, McDonald, Kilkenny, Taylor, Davies, Hughes, Hazell, Smalley, Kalala, Wolfenden, Thompson, Lomax, Alessandra, Bell.

DONCASTER (from): Sullivan, O’Connor, Greer, Lockwood, McDaid, Wilson, Wellens, Woods, Guy, McCammon, Hayter, Green, Stock, Coppinger, Nelthorpe, Horlock, Noble.

TICKETS are now on sale to season-ticket holders for the FA Cup third-round tie at Everton on January 5.

Prices are £20 (adults) and £10 (senior citizens and under-16s), but season-ticket holders gain a £2 discount on their first ticket. There is a maximum of two per person.

They will go on general sale next Friday.

"Ricketts was allowed to play for Walsall in the FA Cup – and he will also play against Athletic in the game at Boundary Park on December 29."

Why the hell are we allowing him to play against us....beggers belife!

Role Model to the fellow youngsters until - - :pokeuu: and then :violent111: They shouldnt have allowed him to play against us tho it might come back and bite us in the butt...

i cant see that being right, nobody loans out a player and then allows them to play against you during that loan period, what if ricketts was to score an own goal

100% right - was said as soon as he signed for walsall, one of the prime indicators that he will never ever play for us again... but hey, what do we have to worry about if he ewas so terrible.. :wink: ... personally i couldnt care less... as far as I am concerned he might as well have never played for us...

Model pro eh.... wait until he is invited round to a fellow players house, and the family cat is gobbled up quicker than you can say "billy big balls".... then there be trouble.....

Role model...yeah right!

He can't be feeling threated by there younger players then if they like him cause when he is he normally tries to break there legs in training!

Role model :lol:

Look at me....prem rejected who through it all away and now playing in the depths of the football league :lol:

i cant see that being right, nobody loans out a player and then allows them to play against you during that loan period, what if ricketts was to score an own goal

Look no further than our own (who incidently is now playing very well) Mark Allott. Whilst on loan at Chesterfield from the Latics...yep you've guessed it he scored and set up Chesterfields win against us!

cant wait to see the crowd reaction when they announce he is playing. he hasnt been one of the most loved players at latics has he. boo's maybe?

If he was booed whilst here just imagine when he aint, with all the speculation surrounding his departure too!! Terrell F :censored: s got a bit of a slating last year.... i can see this being much worse!

If he was booed whilst here just imagine when he aint, with all the speculation surrounding his departure too!! Terrell F :censored: s got a bit of a slating last year.... i can see this being much worse!

but will he rise to it, and play a blinder, or shrink into his shell, like he did for his (shortlived) career at the tics?

People have said the club aren't stupid and there will be a number of clauses that allow us to get out of this three year contract, it makes you wonder when they haven't even put a clause in his loan deal which means he can't play against us...