Porter or Davies?

Amsterdam_Blue

Davies or Porter  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Davies or Porter

• Chris Porter
    • Craig Davies

Read a few posts on here annoyed at Davies so wondered who we would rather have?

2 Different kind of players i know but both employed to score goals.

Please forget that Porter bent us over, base your response purely on footballing ability.

Edited by shezisgod2007

Please forget that Porter bent us over, base your response purely on footballing ability.

On football ability POrter would lose to everyone he just tapped anything around the goal in. Id rather have Davies much mor e of a threat than porter davies can create opportunities without being gifted them and his pace is terrifying

Read a few posts on here annoyed at Davies so wondered who we would rather have?

Tough One, at this very moment definitely Porter simply because of his record last year and what he's done so far this year North of the Border. But Davies has more of the physical attributes than Porter has and Davies has scored more already in his 1st season than Porter did in his IIRC.

Although we haven't been scoring the goals so far this year, I'm very excited about what the Davies & Hughes partnership could produce next season. :D

Both, i think they both would be great together... Porter does the one thing we lack... find the net. And davies creates chances and gives so much to the team drifting to the right, I think hughes will find his shooting boots and become more ruthless in front of goal because i believe hughes will be better than Porter id say Davies! :grin: If you get what i mean! :huh:

I think Davies is the better all round footballer as I think he has more dimensions to his game than Porter.

However, I think Porter is probably at this point in time a better out and out goalscorer than Davies and a more natural finisher.

Davies is still only 21 and has plenty still to learn about looking up and choosing the best option available.

Of the 2 players I would take Davies for everything extra that he gives a team that Porter can't i.e. his pace, trickery and ability to beat a man, but he does need to learn to look up.

I had a very heated debate after the game as i said "i'd give anything for a Porter type player at the moment". To which an irate gentleman told me i was wrong to have this opinion. We then had a 15 minute long "debate" on who we would rather have in the team.

Just wondered what everyone else reckons?

Edited by shezisgod2007

Definately Porter. He was a natural goalscorer which is something we haven't had in years. Every team needs one but unnfortunately at this level they are difficult to keep hold of. I don't think Davies will ever be a natural goal scorer but he does cause the opposition all sorts of problems with his pace. If Shez can get through to him that he needs to get his head up more and he can improve his passing/crossing then he will be able to make that step up to the championship

Davies.....if i had to choose! If only for 'potential' and overall ability and threat. I feel that a '3 season Davies' would do much more than a '3 season Porter if that was ever done.

Saying that, I have to give Hughes a mention, because even though still lacking that full sharpness, the guy at times looks genuine class, with his movement and positioning, could have had 4 or 5 on sat and i'm sure It'll come good for him soon.

Davies.....if i had to choose! If only for 'potential' and overall ability and threat. I feel that a '3 season Davies' would do much more than a '3 season Porter if that was ever done.

Saying that, I have to give Hughes a mention, because even though still lacking that full sharpness, the guy at times looks genuine class, with his movement and positioning, could have had 4 or 5 on sat and i'm sure It'll come good for him soon.

for the first time this season i heard someone giving Hughes lots of abuse on Saturday. An old boy behind me (upper lookers) hasn't taken to kindly to our new striker and decided this was the match he wanted to let his feelings know, his comment "he isn't good enough to play Sunday League".

I often wonder if i'm the only one actually watching the match sometimes.

A bit off the point but i would happily stick 10 stripes on Hughes being top of the scoring charts next season.

Hard to split.

Davies Pros - pace, good shooting

Davies Cons - Bad team player, bad first touch, lack of composure

Porter Pros - Areal threat, composed, hold-up play

Porter Cons - Offside too much, injury prone

I think Porter shades it on his goals to game ratio but potentially Davies can be a better prospect. It'll be interesting to see him in his second season as that's when Porter shone.

I had a very heated debate after the game as i said "i'd give anything for a Porter type player at the moment". To which an irate gentleman told me i was wrong to have this opinion. We then had a 15 minute long "debate" on who we would rather have in the team.

Just wondered what everyone else reckons?

I was wondering why on earth you had a 15minute debate with someone in those horrible conditions :grin:

Porter and Davies are both very good young players.

Id love to have them both together. I think they have both fit into the category "many oldham fans will pick faults with them despite them being excellent players due to lack of effort/attitude/not paul warne/runs in a funny way/doesnt win 100% of headers/etc" ;)

Porter was a very intelligent footballer who knew were the net is. He was offside a lot, but then sometimes the pass was too slow, no?

Davies has loads of skill, and can make chances for himself. His shooting is a bit erratic but you can tell he doesnt let his misses bother him as he will pick up the ball and try again.

Porter and Davies are both very good young players.

Id love to have them both together. I think they have both fit into the category "many oldham fans will pick faults with them despite them being excellent players due to lack of effort/attitude/not paul warne/runs in a funny way/doesnt win 100% of headers/etc" ;)

Porter was a very intelligent footballer who knew were the net is. He was offside a lot, but then sometimes the pass was too slow, no?

Davies has loads of skill, and can make chances for himself. His shooting is a bit erratic but you can tell he doesnt let his misses bother him as he will pick up the ball and try again.

So who would you have Wozz?

It's easy to forget how toothless our whole team was last year without Porter, he offered more to us than just his goals. To look at it another way, I would rather be without Davies this year than Porter last. Porter and Warney linked well but I wonder how Porter would have benefitted from playing with Hughes? He struck me as a player who learnt from the coaching. Both good young prospects, I would guess that Porter will bulk up further and improve his timing before Davies will cut out the irritating aspects of his game that detract from his potential.

Davies, I just prefer him, I liked Porter, but Davies is far more exciting, and he has pace something we've lacked in years.

I agree wholeheartedly Slurms.

Also - Frankly Mr Shankly - Bad team player? Are you having a laugh? He put two of the best crosses in from the right wing on Saturday that I have seen in many a long year (probably since Neil Adams). Yes, he may take the option of shooting more often than passing, but he is a striker first and foremost, yet willing to play out wide on the right - despite people saying he is at fault for drifting out wide and that he doesn't pass enough when he has a sight on goal.

Craig Davies is the best signing we have made in ages and ages. Porter was on fire last year but Davies has much much more to his game.

Davies is Proper Bo!!

I think a better poll would have been Davies and Hughes or Porter and Warne. Id pick Porter and Warne basically because we are not scoring more than one a game at the moment and we have struggled all season for goals. When Porter and Warne were fit last season we were at our best, and if those two were up front now I think we would have had an extra four points from the last two games, and a much more comfortable than 1-0 win against Crewe.

Also - Frankly Mr Shankly - Bad team player? Are you having a laugh? He put two of the best crosses in from the right wing on Saturday that I have seen in many a long year (probably since Neil Adams). Yes, he may take the option of shooting more often than passing, but he is a striker first and foremost, yet willing to play out wide on the right - despite people saying he is at fault for drifting out wide and that he doesn't pass enough when he has a sight on goal.

I meant more in the fact that he's a big sulker when someone else gets the plaudits like Hughes for an example the other day. But he is also immensley frustrating when the easy option is on but he decides to take more players on and goes down a cul-de-sac.

I'm not intending to be overly critical, just my observations. He is a bums-off-seats kind of player though and a lot of potential.

Two very different strikers....

I see Porter and Hughes as being similar type players and a discussion on who you would rather have, Hughes or Porter would be more sensible...

I would rather have Davies playing alongside Hughes than Porter... But who would I have in between Porter and Hughes ? I would say Porter at the moment, tried and tested, Hughes still has alot to prove...that said, I do belive Hughes will be the real deal!

If I had to make a choice, which is very difficult between the two players then I would go for Porter. At least he got his head up and looked around him. Football is a results NOW business and waiting around for Davies to learn his trade should not be at the cost of the first team results. Porter knows when to shoot and when to lay it off. Davies is not there yet (He will be in the future) and we need good results now to even get us into the play offs. I am convinced that this TEAM is good enough to gain promotion this year and that is not being overly optimistic.