LOTW - 13/12/07 - Neil Adams

Stevie_J

lotwadamsnb3.jpg

Welcome to the 25th Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's Neil Adams.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Immortalised by scoring the goal by which we beat ManUre on 9th March 1993. The picture of the goal recorded for posterity on my T-shirt which the great man signed in the Isle of Man when he had returned to us from Norwich. He was chuffed that I enlightened the young players in the squad about his legendary status.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1015/816679...c8385ab.jpg?v=0

Thanks for all you did for us Neil.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

9 March Diego :wink:

Top player and one of my best players when I started going. With regards to the United goal it was a strange feeling that day on the paddock wall as a kid wondering why hardly anyone else was cheering alongside me like they usually did after a goal.

I'd been surrounded by little reds! Paddock was packed with them :mad:

Programme the game after had the picture of the goal on the front and then from another angle on the back too :grin:

Great little winger, who will always (as previously stated) be remembered by Latics fans for ghosting in at the far post with a header that left Schmeichel floundering and beating Manure 1-0 that night at BP.

Neil was a right sided winger who along with Rick Holden on the left supplied most of the service to our strikers. He was tricky and not without pace and delivered a good ball into the box, he was overshadowed in many ways by the rave reviews that Rick Holden always got for his crossing ability. Neil was a different type of winger to Holden but was a good player and a good winger, he was also a bit more versatile than Holden with regard to where you could play him and the job he was capable of doing for the team.

Another lasting memory of Neil was the many matches he played with his head bandaged which IIRC was after diving in a hotel swimming pool which had no water in it. :shock:

He was with the club during our most successful period and played his part in all those successes before moving to Norwich.

Latics legend.

Legend beyond Legends!

The only OAFC player to ever render me unconscious... when he kicked a warm up ball off at the start of a game... Knocking a then 7 (ish) year old me off the wall at the front of the George Hill (I sat literally touching the home dugout back then) backwards onto the concrete floor below.

I don't remember that game... but my dad (to his credit) did take me to be sick in the loos before returning me to the wall so he could watch the rest of the game!!

My memory of him is at Barnsley away, I think during his initial loan period from Everton; his slipped as he was about to delivery a ball across the box from just inside the penalty area. The referee immediately pointed to the spot for a pen, which instead of being met by cheers by the travelling Latics fans, was met with howls of laughter. As Neil picked himself up he looked very embarassed himself at first before he too burst out laughing.

My memory of him is at Barnsley away, I think during his initial loan period from Everton; his slipped as he was about to delivery a ball across the box from just inside the penalty area. The referee immediately pointed to the spot for a pen, which instead of being met by cheers by the travelling Latics fans, was met with howls of laughter. As Neil picked himself up he looked very embarassed himself at first before he too burst out laughing.

Yeah somehow we lost that game 4-3, but Neil's loan signing (along with Andy Holden and Jon Hallworth) proved the catalyst for us to go on a run that got us out of trouble in 88/89 after an horrendous run from the end of September - to the beginning of February where we won only 2 out of 19 games. My outstanding 2 memories (apart from his winner v Manure) of Neil Adams are his brace in the last three minutes at Goodison to nick us a point, which Joe Royle later referred to as THE turning point of 92/93. The other occasion was him clearing off our line vs Brentford in the FA Cup in 90/91, yet 5 seconds later he was burying Rick Holden's cross in their box to clinch a 3-1 win.

Edited by oafcprozac

In his second spell I was mascot and had my "favourtie player" picture with him and had a kick about on the pitch with him. That will always be remembered by me

I remember taking my son to Tumble Tots in Royton and meeting Neil in there with his kids. I only said hello to him but he seemed a quiet, fairly shy family guy.

Nice to see one of my heroes of the time just doing ordinary stuff.

During his first spell with us I was living in Chadderton at the time and Neil lived on the same road, Poppy Close, Firwood Park for those that know it. My Brother in Law also bought a house a few doors down from us and lived opposite Neil & his wife for a good few years and they became quite good friends. A bit surreal at times to walk into the brother in laws house and see Neil Adams sat down having a brew :o. He was, and probably still is, a really nice bloke.

The goal I always remember was the goal against West Ham in the Littlewoods Cup semi. I think it was the first that night from just outside the box and that set us on our way. Top winger and good crosser of the ball.

During his first spell with us I was living in Chadderton at the time and Neil lived on the same road, Poppy Close, Firwood Park for those that know it. My Brother in Law also bought a house a few doors down from us and lived opposite Neil & his wife for a good few years and they became quite good friends. A bit surreal at times to walk into the brother in laws house and see Neil Adams sat down having a brew :o. He was, and probably still is, a really nice bloke.

The goal I always remember was the goal against West Ham in the Littlewoods Cup semi. I think it was the first that night from just outside the box and that set us on our way. Top winger and good crosser of the ball.

He was on ESPN classics last night. Norwich 4 Southampton 5 a game he played in shortly after Uncle Joe scandalously offloaded one of the few players we had with genuine pace and to a club he went on to give 5 1/2 years very good service, before coming back here when his legs had gone but still had the speed of thought to weigh in with a goal or two. Neil was being interviewed about the afore mentioned game and I think he's a coach at Norwich now.

He was on ESPN classics last night. Norwich 4 Southampton 5 a game he played in shortly after Uncle Joe scandalously offloaded one of the few players we had with genuine pace and to a club he went on to give 5 1/2 years very good service, before coming back here when his legs had gone but still had the speed of thought to weigh in with a goal or two. Neil was being interviewed about the afore mentioned game and I think he's a coach at Norwich now.

Walsall away at Fellows Park - the last game of his loan signing - the fans singing "You've got to sign Neil Adams" for 90 mins

Good times

His goal against Manure - one of the highlights of all my years supporting the Latics... I was listening to it on BBC Radio 5 Live in my sittingroom in Galway - and the radio reception was rubbish and for some reason only seemed to improve when it was raining... Luckily, there was a heavydownpour when he scored (from an inswinging Paul Bernard corner?) and another one at the end of the match so I knew we hung on...

I went nuts at the final whistle and banged my toe off the leg of the table - but I didn't feel the pain until the next day!

My memory of the goal against United was that it was direct from a corner, or am I mistaken? I think he scored a few that way.

na he ghosted in at the far post at the rocky road end. cracking goal. Pointon used to take most of the corners back then (presumably he took that one as well, but correct me if im wrong), and put one straight in past David James against Liverpool in one of the three Great Escape games, which we won 3-2.

na he ghosted in at the far post at the rocky road end. cracking goal. Pointon used to take most of the corners back then (presumably he took that one as well, but correct me if im wrong), and put one straight in past David James against Liverpool in one of the three Great Escape games, which we won 3-2.

There was two against Liverpool, and there has been a lot of conjecture over the years between whether David James was credited with at least one o.g but the official records give the two to Olney and Beckford. With Olney of course bagging another one. Pointon took both corners.

Pointon did score two straight from corners v Sheff Wed (past Chris Woods) and of course the opener in the Great Escape game (past Tim Flowers) both during the 92/93 season. Keeping on topic late on during The Sheff Wed game Adams had a late winner disallowed.

My dad was in McDonalds on his way to Palm Springs from Vegas with his Latics top on when a voice said "i recognise that top".It was Neil Adams on his honeymoon if i remember rightly.Think it was the same holiday that he dived into the waterless pool and banged his head(could be wrong about that).

A couple of months later my dad was in Yates wine lodge Oldham,after about 10 minutes the barman said"Neil Adams has sent you a pint" and he was there with his thumb up.Top man.

Footbal wise i always remember him being Big Joes scapegoat when things werent going right during a game.We used to say Joe only had 2 sub board numbers which were 2(Fleming) and 7(Adams).Cracking player though,happy days.

My dad was in McDonalds on his way to Palm Springs from Vegas with his Latics top on when a voice said "i recognise that top".It was Neil Adams on his honeymoon if i remember rightly.Think it was the same holiday that he dived into the waterless pool and banged his head(could be wrong about that).

A couple of months later my dad was in Yates wine lodge Oldham,after about 10 minutes the barman said"Neil Adams has sent you a pint" and he was there with his thumb up.Top man.

Footbal wise i always remember him being Big Joes scapegoat when things werent going right during a game.We used to say Joe only had 2 sub board numbers which were 2(Fleming) and 7(Adams).Cracking player though,happy days.

Yeah agree re: Adams being Joe's scapegoat. Yes he could go missing, particularly away from home but he was on a one man survival mission during Feb-April '93 scoring priceless goals vs Chelsea, a brace at Everton, the legendary winner vs United, a last minute equaliser at home to QPR and a goal in the hammering of Wimbledon, however once we were tonked at Spurs Joe decided to drop him for a sweeper (Redmond), it paid off in the long run but was harsh and then the season we succumbed to relegation he hardly got a look in before being shipped out to Norwich. That was my only beef with Uncle Joe, players who questioned his team selection or asked why they weren't being picked were invariably transferred in double quick time, as was Neil Redfearn amongst others.

Edited by oafcprozac