Commercial questions of the new stand?

All boxes have been bought already and there is news there will NOT be a supporters bar and instead this will be another box. More money for the club to be made for selling it as a box

If that is true then I'll be very unimpressed.......I spoke to the commercial department last week as I am looking for some corporate sponsorship next season fr my business (having spent 3 years building it up I am now in a position to enjoy the fruits and would love nothing more than to spend it on my club).

I am waiting for them to come back to me with meeting dates as I'm told they do not have the costings yet due to not having agreed the outsourcing of catering.....let's see what happens!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all guesswork at the moment, but it would be disappointing if we didn't get the supporters bar.

Yes, make sure we have plenty of corporate facilities, but not at the expense of the regular fans who have put up with a 3 sided dump for far too long.

A supporters bar is a must in my eyes. Money into the club and would bring the fans together pre match.

I certainly hope we get a bar, but you only need to look at pubs around the country to know it won't pay for itself selling beer for 100 hours a year. Maybe if it was a foodie place apart from matchdays it could draw trade in. Discount for fans, we'd go there for family meals and so on. Football specials for England matches. Venue for Sportsmens dinners.

I certainly hope we get a bar, but you only need to look at pubs around the country to know it won't pay for itself selling beer for 100 hours a year. Maybe if it was a foodie place apart from matchdays it could draw trade in. Discount for fans, we'd go there for family meals and so on. Football specials for England matches. Venue for Sportsmens dinners.

It doesn't look big enough for a sportsmans from the plans, the conferencing would be though. I'd hope it has a plan to get people in other days of the week as you say. selling food is a must and it would have people going to the gym who might pop on for a post gym pint as a reward.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

All boxes have been bought already and there is news there will NOT be a supporters bar and instead this will be another box. More money for the club to be made for selling it as a box

I'm intrigued by this. My initial instinct is that:

1) the boxes haven't all been sold (if they have it's a remarkable effort by the club and those concerned should be applauded)

2) the space allocated to "supporters bar" in the plans was underneath the stand and not easily accessible to the masses from the first floor where the boxes are. Therefore I'm struggling to see this as a realistic outcome, but appreciate plans can be amended.

Even if it's going to struggle to make money in its own right I think it's an essential part of reinvigorating the club and the fan base. Anything that removes the risk of fans sitting in a pub 10 minutes walk away and deciding to skip the match is a positive. Anything that offers an ad-hoc meeting place for fans on non-matchdays will grow a feeling of being part of Oldham Athletic. Anything that offers fans a focal point for fundraising such as PlayerShare / Trust / other activity is a positive.

I wouldn't underestimate the potential of local residents using it and also delegates ending a day of corporate bull:censored: with a swift half before hitting the motorway.

While it might be Corney's plaything, it's our club. This development needs a supporters' bar and if they stick to the original plan both fans and football club benefit.

It doesn't look big enough for a sportsmans from the plans, the conferencing would be though. I'd hope it has a plan to get people in other days of the week as you say. selling food is a must and it would have people going to the gym who might pop on for a post gym pint as a reward.

Don't tell the gym users that they will probably be taking in more calories than they just burned off on the rowing machine.

Edited by opinions4u

I'm intrigued by this. My initial instinct is that:

1) the boxes haven't all been sold (if they have it's a remarkable effort by the club and those concerned should be applauded)

2) the space allocated to "supporters bar" in the plans was underneath the stand and not easily accessible to the masses from the first floor where the boxes are. Therefore I'm struggling to see this as a realistic outcome, but appreciate plans can be amended.

Even if it's going to struggle to make money in its own right I think it's an essential part of reinvigorating the club and the fan base. Anything that removes the risk of fans sitting in a pub 10 minutes walk away and deciding to skip the match is a positive. Anything that offers an ad-hoc meeting place for fans on non-matchdays will grow a feeling of being part of Oldham Athletic. Anything that offers fans a focal point for fundraising such as PlayerShare / Trust / other activity is a positive.

I wouldn't underestimate the potential of local residents using it and also delegates ending a day of corporate bull:censored: with a swift half before hitting the motorway.

While it might be Corney's plaything, it's our club. This development needs a supporters' bar and if they stick to the original plan both fans and football club benefit.

Don't tell the gym users that they will probably be taking in more calories than they just burned off on the rowing machine.

:) That was me when I last had a gym membership

Latics are hopeless at informing their supporters about anything. I would have thought that by now, with the new stand going up, a clear plan of how the spaces are to be carved up would be placed before us. But as it's Latics, they probably don't know themselves!

Latics are hopeless at informing their supporters about anything. I would have thought that by now, with the new stand going up, a clear plan of how the spaces are to be carved up would be placed before us. But as it's Latics, they probably don't know themselves!

Why do we need to know in May?

Sorry but that's garbage. A sweeping statement like " Latics are hopeless at informing dportets about anything" just undermines any other point you might have. The club, like most organisations , isn't perfect but what vital information about anything don't you know?

I know it's not the done thing to moan about moaning ....but you are moaning

Sorry but that's garbage. A sweeping statement like " Latics are hopeless at informing dportets about anything" just undermines any other point you might have. The club, like most organisations , isn't perfect but what vital information about anything don't you know?

I know it's not the done thing to moan about moaning ....but you are moaning

Correct! I could give you a list of their poor communications but I won't - it would take too long.

When potential new commercial clients such as myself are trying to finalise their corporate budgets for the next 12 months?

It would be helpful, but there still isn't an actual need. The assumption is that OAFC are messing up, but it could just be a business decision. I have the feeling that the sale of Micah Richards will be key here to getting the conferencing fitted out and why they currently have no details.

the official line is that they have yet to finalise an agreement on which outside catering firm to use......this is an interesting question, I work in the industry and if you had asked me 3 years ago I would have said that using the likes of Elior, Compass was a great way to guarantee expenditure across a season as you give them the budget and any overspend is down to them leaving the club free to work tirelessly on bringing in the business to use the facility.

Since then more and more clubs have gone in house as they can make bigger margins without the services of said contract caterers and one the best lower league to do this has always been Stockport County.....Works Xmas Parties throughout the whole of December, Friday afternoon Sportsman Lunches with a whole host of well known ex Manchester Based sportsmen.

Looks like Latics are doing the right think signing an initial contract to with a Contract Caterer to build up the business with a view to going 'In-House' further down the line..............Well Done

the official line is that they have yet to finalise an agreement on which outside catering firm to use......this is an interesting question, I work in the industry and if you had asked me 3 years ago I would have said that using the likes of Elior, Compass was a great way to guarantee expenditure across a season as you give them the budget and any overspend is down to them leaving the club free to work tirelessly on bringing in the business to use the facility.

Since then more and more clubs have gone in house as they can make bigger margins without the services of said contract caterers and one the best lower league to do this has always been Stockport County.....Works Xmas Parties throughout the whole of December, Friday afternoon Sportsman Lunches with a whole host of well known ex Manchester Based sportsmen.

Looks like Latics are doing the right think signing an initial contract to with a Contract Caterer to build up the business with a view to going 'In-House' further down the line..............Well Done

Don't Rochdale bring in a local restaurant for match day catering?

• 9 months later...

All gone slightly quiet regarding the commercial/corporate news of the new stand. Its all well and good building it but surely updates regarding the lay out (if any changes), boxes being sold etc.

I just feel more could be done in regards to basically 'bigging the fooker up'

I cant be the only one excited by the prospect of it surely..?