Offside Law

Bradford game on Saturday, Bradford had a goal kick and 2 people behind me were screaming that 2 of their players were offside. I explained that Law 11 states that you cannot be offside from a goal kick. Several people around me had never heard of this and didn't believe me. Are other people on here aware of this? The extract from Law 11 is attached below:

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick

• a throw-in

• a corner kick

Bradford game on Saturday, Bradford had a goal kick and 2 people behind me were screaming that 2 of their players were offside. I explained that Law 11 states that you cannot be offside from a goal kick. Several people around me had never heard of this and didn't believe me. Are other people on here aware of this? The extract from Law 11 is attached below:

• a goal kick

• a throw-in

• a corner kick

Yes.

Although given the high line that most defences like to use to some free-kicks, you wouldn't have thought that was the case.

• a goal kick

• a throw-in

• a corner kick

Had a referee state this on Saturday in the game I played, let thplay go on. Only to be reminded he had actually given a free kick for the Goalkeeper being fouled & the keeper had taken from his 6 yard box.

Also had a player state that the ball never came in when he blazed a corner out of touch. Politely reminded that it starts in.

When i did my referee's course a while back, i got given a mock exam paper with some common mistakes on it. The 1 that sticks out to me even now is:

What shape is a football?

Round would be an incorrect answer as that could be interpreted as a 2 dimensional shape. Spherical is the correct answer.

When i did my referee's course a while back, i got given a mock exam paper with some common mistakes on it. The 1 that sticks out to me even now is:

What shape is a football?

Round would be an incorrect answer as that could be interpreted as a 2 dimensional shape. Spherical is the correct answer.

That's a worthwhile exam question; otherwise a ref who didn't quite get it could end up starting the game using a plate.

That's a worthwhile exam question; otherwise a ref who didn't quite get it could end up starting the game using a plate.

I think it's more a common sense test as much as anything. Much in the same way you apparently get a mark for putting ur name right on an english exam paper Edited by c.hill12

I just tried explaining this particular offside law to my wife - apparently I am not scoring tonight - and if I try explaining the offside law again Warrren Feeny has more chance of scoring again this season she says .... :dntknw:

You know when the bugger was first introduced I understood it....but typical I bet it was a man who changed it, changed it again and again....heheh so yes shes right your more likely to see rob purdie and as well as Feeney score this season...heheh she knows the game then I see.

You best leave us woman to interpret stuff in our own way or it gets messy for you blokes....be nice and cook tea that should put you back on side

Edited by underdog

It's funny how we all have our own blind spots when it comes to the rules. Little things we forget or have just never thought about.

I couldn't tell you who or in what game but I remember about ten years ago at BP an opposition player frantically appealing for offside when Latics broke on the counter, despite the Latics player running from and receiving the ball in our own half.

It's funny how we all have our own blind spots when it comes to the rules. Little things we forget or have just never thought about.

So true

Played over 35's soccer quite a few years ago and got pinged by the ref 3 times in the game for illegal throw ins. Seemingly I never even knew I had such a poor technique after all my years of playing and watching. Very embarrassing (seemingly I never brought the ball from behind my head - just from above it!)

Still - it gave everyone else a giggle as I tried to work out what I was doing wrong.