Do the club listen ?

Am I the only one who would like the money saved from offers to be put into the team funds.

Offers have not worked, so keep that money into the player budget.

The only successful ongoing and regular reduced price season ticket offer seems to be Bradford.

Why is every club not doing it if it is successful?

also they started the reduced rate about five years ago and it took at trip to wembly to actually give them enough funds to get out of the division

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started coming back regularly after the £2 game vs Exeter during Dave Penney's reign. I bought a Half-Season ticket shortly after.

I know this was possibly the worst season in our last decade (although the x games without a goal in Dickov's first/second? season may have eclipsed it) but the whiff of pies on a Saturday afternoon reminded me I didn't really have owt better to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited by SholverBlue

Following on from the above post by sholver did anyone start or restart watching Latics off the back of an offer kids for a quid/ free tickets to schools/ bring a mate for a fiver?

While they don't bring masses back through the gate in the short run it would be interesting to see how many people have started watching Latics due to a promotional offer even if 1 person starts watching that extra person over a sustained period of time putting money in is one more person per game than was had previously that person could start supporting us for years.

Putting the two figures close together highlights the problem our club and any other club has.

£52,000 for a 3,242 'slightly' discounted gate.

£25,000 for a 3,034 'heavily' discounted gate.

£27,000 is a massif amount to us

I imagine that Doncaster would have made their decision to not reduce prices on a similar basis - cannot blame them either.

There is less impact of doing an offer on a league game as a good percentage of the attendance has pre-paid via STs so the loss in revenue is reduced, but I agree that overall in my experience these have had limited success. Yes, they have been done when the product on the pitch was lower (though generally any offer results in the product deterioirating for some reason - Grimsby the only exception), but I don't think it offers much of an incentive for the clubs coffers.

The Christmas Ticket idea was a good one, albeit poorly marketed at first. Get people who are enjoying the football to pay normal price to get a lapsed friend / relative to come back - a chance to boost attendances with no money loss. Not sure that this will have anything other than a marginal impact though.

Having a think there are a couple of areas that could be looked at:

(1) Improve Marketing - the posters that have been produced on here are good, and something like that but bigger / more widespread could help. The Bradford Bulls do a great job with a Bill Board near the ground on a busy commuting road of promoting the next game.

Almost tongue in cheek film billboard style - Father V Son for Saturday; Return of the Dickov for last week etc. could work as a weekly one off style promotional push. Get them in local shops / a billboard or two / bus stops / in the paper etc.

Could try to negotiate costs with the Chron/Advertiser - cost for an advert for every home game for the season based upon a small % of the gate that exceeds an expected level i.e. you get 3% of the gate above 3,200 for a night match, and 4,000 for a Saturday. No risk to the club.

(3) A reward system. Collect a cardboard loyalty card - and everytime you pay full price you get a stamp at the turnstile. After, say 4 full price games, you can exchange your card for a reduced entry at the next game (say £15). You could then always run offers for games that you want to boost attendances such as "double loyalty stamps" or "Reduced Price available for 50% full cards" etc.

It encourages people to come more often rather than just for the one discounted game.

Following on from the above post by sholver did anyone start or restart watching Latics off the back of an offer kids for a quid/ free tickets to schools/ bring a mate for a fiver?

While they don't bring masses back through the gate in the short run it would be interesting to see how many people have started watching Latics due to a promotional offer even if 1 person starts watching that extra person over a sustained period of time putting money in is one more person per game than was had previously that person could start supporting us for years.

Me and o4u Jr.

There are still about 4 or 5 of my primary school class that are regulars after the Canon Big Day out promotion back in the 1980s.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/-2135008.aspx

It`s a start.

Matt Chambers weighing in...

Athletic will soon have a new commercial manager on board and with that role will no doubt come plenty of initiatives to get the new North Stand packed-out next season.

As for the here and now, though, it’s a struggle to get numbers to SportsDirect.com Park. Crowd figures remain stubbornly low, despite the team’s success on home turf.

Perhaps it is time to have a real push at attracting the floating voter. Package games together and sell tickets at a reduced rate, introduce a half season-ticket at a bargain price.

Heavy discounting might get the backs up of a few season ticket holders. But the bigger picture is, a packed-out ground can only aid the players’ fortunes on the pitch. And that’s of benefit for everyone.

Another factor in our low home gates so far, is most of the teams with decent away followings, and most of the teams nearer the top of the league have yet to visit BP. So the second half of the season should be a lot better, even more so if we stay in or around the play offs.

Another factor in our low home gates so far, is most of the teams with decent away followings, and most of the teams nearer the top of the league have yet to visit BP. So the second half of the season should be a lot better, even more so if we stay in or around the play offs.

Good point. Average attendance over the season will increase with Sheffield United, Preston et al

Package tickets/deals i think is a great idea. Buy 3-4 tickets and get x% off. Those fans which buy 3-4 tickets anyway might get a nice deal. For others it might make them drag a friend or family member along to get the discount. That would be someone who would not have normally been there without it.

Or maybe buy 3 home game tickets in a row and get a reduced price. Keeps fans coming and locks them in to the next 3 games.

I don't go as much as i used to nor as much as I'd like. Simple case of not being able to afford - When i look at the day as a whole, I'm going to end up spending £60 on trains, buses, ticket, pie/beer/coffee.

I was at Hull Uni last year, and Hull City did offers of "buy 3 tickets for £50" for students. We got 2 crap games and a good one, Sunderland, Palace and Liverpool. It isn't hard to do, the club won't take a big hit, it's a good xmas present.

I do feel the commercial side of the club has fallen a touch by the wayside since Broady left, hopefully someone will be coming in at some point to do his job.

I find this reads much better like this:

A lot has been posted on here in recent weeks mainly from fans who genuinely want to see crowds improve at our home games, can anybody tell me what the club are doing about this or are they just happy for things to stagnate and rely on the 3000 and falling hardcore ?

HARP ON

It seems to me the only effort the club want to put in is to harp on in the local press how they feel pissed off by the lack of interest in the support the team gets and the money they take in well can I ask a question, whats being done about it and the answers nothing, didnt the trust put something to the club with regards the Yeovil game ? Why was our game the most expensive FA Cup tie at the weekend, other teams charging as little as £10 for similar standing fixtures,

HARPING ON

its okay Corney harping on about how he and the directors feel disappointed what about the loyal fans who keep paying to watch the team home and away, not one mention of them in Corneys interview, theres only so much we can do to try and persuade lapsed fans to return and get back in the habit of attending whats the club doing ? If it means charging a fiver for one game and taking ahot so be it but one things for sure it isnt just gonna happen cos we dont lose as many as we used too, we have seen all these new appointments recemtly within the club what is anybody actively doing to improve things ?

Even if as little 10 of them start coming more regularly it's a start those 10 fans could get 10 season tickets next season and bring their parents and start getting friends to come. Who knows they may even bring their kids down one day.

We mustn't look at offers being a success on the basis that the crowds suddenly jump from 4000 to 6000 it's about getting people into the habit.

The 3500 who attend now won't be the same 3500 in 5 years time. Some will have other commitments, some will move away from the area, some may find other commitments, some may die out. These fans will need replacing we have to entice them down.

Edited by GlossopLatic

There are still about 4 or 5 of my primary school class that are regulars after the Canon Big Day out promotion back in the 1980s.

Over that 30 year period how many thousands have you and them put into the club?

Is the fact that, that promotional offer not seen as a success because our crowds didn't jump to 25000 or the fact that you and your friends still go after all these years on the back of that is that a sign as success?

Edited by GlossopLatic