Holden stats as manager

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep trying these 'nice guys' in charge...ie Dickov, Johnson, Holden ....hasn't really worked. Let's put an angry fecker in charge and put some growl in the owl!

Id go along with that, far to often we have been too soft this season, are we still top of the fair play league for this division? Think we was last time i saw it, think the winner gets a bit of dosh to be fair but id rather have a group of nasty bastards that put themselves about a bit.

Id go along with that, far to often we have been too soft this season, are we still top of the fair play league for this division? Think we was last time i saw it, think the winner gets a bit of dosh to be fair but id rather have a group of nasty bastards that put themselves about a bit.

We're 3rd, but Bristol City are 2nd! Sheff and PNE are both high up (surprising, PNE are so cynical). Comparatively, MKD are 5th worst.

Basically, there's more than one way to skin a cat. But I'm sure it wouldn't have harmed to have Gerrard kick the :censored: out of centre-forwards all year.

If he was upto it surely, for no other reason than pride, he could drag better results and/or more entertaining football out of these twats.

That said, I still think him staying gives us the best chance of keeping these twats together.

For a lot of the early part of this season they looked far less like twats than most of the other twats we've had to suffer in recent times...

If some other :censored: gets it he's going to want to replace most of these twats with new twats. Yet again.

And we know that doesn't twatting get any :censored: anywhere and leaves all of us feeling like right twats for parting with £300 again.

:censored:! That was liquid football (opinion)!

I do actually agree with your original point! But football 'trends' do influence people- currently the diamond thingy. Three of this seasons top sides:

Bristol city - pretty much 442 but not with 'traditional' wingers - big man small man up top - the best 2 footballing sides swindon and mkdons play...no idea! They seem to have extra players because of the fluidity,this can be exposed defensively but hell i would accept that.

These are the templates i would rather mimic than premiership trends.

Funnily enough, I agree with your point but not your evidence!

Bristol City have regularly played a solid 352 this season, as have Swindon although their style is much more fluid, MK Dons have played 4231 for pretty much the whole time that Robinson has been in charge and Preston have mixed between 4 and 3 at the back for the whole season. Which proves that there is no magic formation for success, it's all about having the players who can fit into it and having a clear understand of the role they are doing for the team. Cotterill isn't the most articulate manager about but you can be damn sure that his players understand their jobs completely, hence why they've won the league with games to spare.

Speaking after the game, Holden said: "It was a flat performance, especially in the final third. I don't think there was a lot in the game. We set up for a short corner, we've lost it and they have hit us on the counter and got the first goal but up until then I thought it was quite an even game.

So we were OK for a whole 20 minutes!

"I think we had a go in the second half and it was important it didn't become three, four or five.

So as long as we keep it to 2 that's OK as well!!

Holden's been thrown in at the deep end and has had a lot of injuries to contend with but I do want him in charge next season otherwise after match comments like the above, I fear, will become common place.

It is his job to ensure a dynamic not a flat performance, this applies to every game as a matter of principle.

He should have been capable of getting that simple message across to the players, and if he can't fathom out how to create more than 2 shots on goal in an entire game I'm afraid thats not good enough.

Edited by BP1960

It is his job not to ensure a dynamic not a flat performance, this applies to every game as a matter of principle.

He should have been capable of getting that simple message across to the players, and if he can't fathom out how to create more than 2 shots on goal in an entire game I'm afraid thats not good enough.

You are using 'he' and 'his' rather than 'they' again..,.

You are using 'he' and 'his' rather than 'they' again..,.

He is supposed to be the team motivator, demanding 100% from everyone.

To admit it was a flat performance is to my mind an admission of his motivational failure.

If he can't lift the players its all talk for the sake of it. LJ was good at that too.

I would also add if any of the players can't be bothered they can go too.

Edited by BP1960

He is supposed to be the team motivator, demanding 100% from everyone.

To admit it was a flat performance is to my mind an admission of his motivational failure.

If he can't lift the players its all talk for the sake of it. LJ was good at that too.

I would also add if any of the players can't be bothered they can go too.

Very hard to motivate players at this level when there is nothing riding on the game, more so when said players know there will be another management team in place come the summer.

Very hard to motivate players at this level when there is nothing riding on the game, more so when said players know there will be another management team in place come the summer.

Can't really agree, it should be in a players make up to give it 100% every game and a managers job to ensure that, those that don't aren't giving fans who paid good money (800 at Walsall) what they should rightfully expect.

If Dowie comes in I think that's one thing that will change.

Are people comparing us to Bristol City, Preston, MK Dons and Swindon? Because the only comparison between us all is that we play in the same league... their bank accounts will look a lot healthier then ours, hence why their 'formations' seem to be working better than ours because they have players for every single formation and players capable of playing at a higher level.

Are people comparing us to Bristol City, Preston, MK Dons and Swindon? Because the only comparison between us all is that we play in the same league... their bank accounts will look a lot healthier then ours, hence why their 'formations' seem to be working better than ours because they have players for every single formation and players capable of playing at a higher level.

It is true money talks, maybe someone could devise a 'budget' league for next season teams and see where we finish up in the league moneywise.

As I see it two of the teams coming down will have more money, as will two not going up, probably a couple from the lower league too.

In effect a play off place is up for grabs to those with similar budgets to the Latics.

All we need is a manager and players to do the business.

Edited by BP1960

It is true money talks, maybe someone could devise a 'budget' league for next season teams and see where we finish up in the league moneywise.

As I see it two of the teams coming down will have more money, as will two not going up, probably a couple from the lower league too.

In effect a play off place is up for grabs to those with similar budgets to the Latics.

All we need is a manager and players to do the business.

Bradford's cup run will give them a bit more money to play with, as will their oversized stadium and decent support.

Barnsley have obviously got a bigger budget than us.

Blackpool will depend on their owners, the money is there they aren't spending it; that could well mean Blackpool do a Yeovil.

Peterborough will have a decent budget again, I'd expect them to be there or thereabouts next season.

Whoever comes down with Blackpool may well have a better budget but I can see them losing some players.

Burton and Shrewsbury won't have significantly bigger budgets than us, neither will whoever else joins them.

However, having a big budget whilst helpful is no guarantee of success, even in this division. Orient had a bigger budget than most clubs and look where they are. I'd think Notts County's budget is bigger than ours and they are seriously in the mire. I can't see Rochdale having a bigger budget than us, and they will finish comfortably above us this season. There is often a team well fancied to do well (often based on their budget) who struggles, and one who most don't think will do well who does.

• 4 months later...