Top Away Following

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I reckon if it's on a Saturday and we're doing OK, or it's early season, we'll take our biggest non-Rochdale away following in years. 

Much bigger than the 2100 for Bolton. 

I think I'm right in saying Bolton in the 70's was a bigger rivalry (on & off the pitch) but we there'll be far more supporters from when we played Blackburn year in, year out for many, many years who are still close to the club (whether they're still regulars or not) and, dare I say it, are still alive. 

I think the 1988 game (Rick Holden's debut?) was the first away game that I went on the train with mates rather than on Barlow's or with my dad - great, vivid memories. Lots of people will be the same.

What's the name of that pub near the away end that we always used to fill? Begins with an F I think..? 

I can't wait. 

The Fernhurst, away fans are no longer welcome since it was converted to a Hungry Horse establishment.

I've always preferred being away opening game.... we have been for a few years now;

Millwall 16/17

Walsall 15/16

Colchester 14/15

Stevenage 13/14

MK Mongs 12/13?

....and when I come to think about it, it's because we started away in some of our more successful years....

B@stard Rovers 89/90

Wolves 90/91

Liverpool 91/92

Chelsea 92/93

When at home to Ipswich in 93/94, it ended badly....

Edited by lookersstandandy

On 09/05/2017 at 11:13 PM, yarddog73 said:

Along with Leeds, Blackburn were the team I viewed as our rivals when I first started going to games regularly  in the mid eighties. 

Same for me, I'd add City to that list as well as we played them a few times around that period. Who could ever forget Roger Palmer's hat trick at Maine Road when we smashed them 4-1. I gave my mates so much shit over that result!

25 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Same for me, I'd add City to that list as well as we played them a few times around that period. Who could ever forget Roger Palmer's hat trick at Maine Road when we smashed them 4-1. I gave my mates so much shit over that result!

Probably one of my favourite all time games, although one of the goals wouldn't of counted today as it rebounded in off the back of Dibbles  (I think) head and would of gone down as an OG. Always seemed to get a result at City despite struggling on the road at other grounds.

Edited by yarddog73

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Probably one of my favourite all time games, although one of the goals wouldn't of counted today as it rebounded in off the back of Dibbles  (I think) head and would of gone down as an OG. Always seemed to get a result at City despite struggling on the road at other grounds.

?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It was the Year before that, Tommy Wright double.

2-1 win and the yarddogs were born...yarddog ;)

Edited by palmer1

On 09/05/2017 at 11:14 PM, lookersstandandy said:

I've always preferred being away opening game.... we have been for a few years now;

Millwall 16/17

Walsall 15/16

Colchester 14/15

Stevenage 13/14

MK Mongs 12/13?

....and when I come to think about it, it's because we started away in some of our more successful years....

B@stard Rovers 89/90

Wolves 90/91

Liverpool 91/92

Chelsea 92/93

When at home to Ipswich in 93/94, it ended badly....

Yeah, we played Sheff Weds in League Cup to open the 12/13 season but the league game it was MK Scum away

That is some run of opening away games. I have a feeling we have asked to be away on the first game to allow the pitch longer time to recover some seasons. I know this has been the case when major pitch repairs have been undertaken.