View from Southend Fans

I didn't go to that game but he's not far off what our players are like. The thing is, if we play like we have done against the likes of MK Dons then Southend (no matter how good they are in League 2) will not be able to stop us. Our risk on Saturday will be the lads thinking that it will be an easy game because it won't. The third round is appealing for both sides and them being on form and being the under-dog will be a tough combo to break down away from home.

It was nice to see us getting a clean sheet on Saturday but what we now need to see is mixing our attacking flare with a solid defensive performance.

I didn't go to that game but he's not far off what our players are like. The thing is, if we play like we have done against the likes of MK Dons then Southend (no matter how good they are in League 2) will not be able to stop us. Our risk on Saturday will be the lads thinking that it will be an easy game because it won't. The third round is appealing for both sides and them being on form and being the under-dog will be a tough combo to break down away from home.

It was nice to see us getting a clean sheet on Saturday but what we now need to see is mixing our attacking flare with a solid defensive performance.

I agree, although we clearly didn't show what an attacking threat we've got on Saturday. Hopefully we'll will be back in the goals on Saturday.

:grin:

I don't know if watching one stalemate and formulating views is 'having us sussed'.

He didn't even talk about how rubbish Taylor is and how he should be dropped.

:grin: :grin:

That's pretty keen isn't it - going to the match of your next opponents, with a pad & pen, making notes on all the players including the exact times they were substituted; and the corner routines for attacking & defending...........and you're not even a scout employed by your club (or is he?)

We have some keen fans who come on here; but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post up something as detailed as that.......impressive & nerdy in equal measures I'd say.

He doesn't quite have us sussed though; what with us not playing too well and not scoring 3 goals as we have been doing; but he's not too far off actually is he?

Very impressive analysis that but also very interesting in the rest of the thread that there are companies who act as 3rd parties to provide scouting reports. I didn't know this. They must surely only ever act as back up to those sent by the clubs.

I must get a piece of the action and set myself up as one of these, not that I'll be faffing around travelling to games. I'll be basing all my reports on comments in fan's forums and levels of Twitter abuse.

We should get him on a scouting contract.

He's sussed them out brilliantly.

His report was very good and quite similar to those from paid scouts, many clubs even at top level would be interested in the student if he applied for a job.

I have to say though in my experience there is only so much players can take on board, it makes me laugh when I see some coaches going through reams of tactical information to substitutes, who often look totally bemused....just watch out for them scratching their heads.

I remember giving one vital piece of information to a manager about a centre forward who would be soon be facing his team.

'Under no circumstances allow him to turn on to his left foot around the edge of the penalty area and take a shot on goal"......of course the centre forward did just that in the first minute of the game - and scored what turned out to be winning goal.

When I tackled the manager about this he said "I pinned a large note up in the dressing room and pointed to it just before they ran out...they just weren't capable of executing the instruction".

Edited by BP1960

Unless we have a very bad day at the office, I think we will have a bit too much for them.

Not so sure - be a tough game this.

Southend are on a high, only lost one at home and it's a long trip for us.

It's got an Accrington-esque feel about it, this one....

Not so sure - be a tough game this.

Southend are on a high, only lost one at home and it's a long trip for us.

It's got an Accrington-esque feel about it, this one....

Yeah, I agree. It'll be tough, and I think we'd all be pretty satisfied with a draw. Accrington last season ought to be a huge warning sign. We went into that game in decent form, playing some good football but got shown up big time by turning up with completely the wrong attitude. This time, Dickov has the chance to put that right.

I have to say though in my experience there is only so much players can take on board, it makes me laugh when I see some coaches going through reams of tactical information to substitutes, who often look totally bemused....just watch out for them scratching their heads.

I had been told that PD had been barking on at the players to perform some relatively simple tactical function in training earlier in the season, but many of the players were unable to grasp it.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Most of Dickov's interviews after games from the early part of the season reflected this, he kept saying stuff like "we keep telling the lads to get the basics right, still to their jobs...." It is a simple game after all, keep it simple, let those with the talent do the unexpected and you'll win more than you lose.