Dickov Out!

Some of our 'fans' need to get a grip, one or two wanting Dickov out on Twitter, Mike Keegan has seized on this but has no intention of giving people the column inches they crave. Dickov has his faults and is not beyond reproach, but to have us 16th a full 7 points clear of the relegation places is much higher and better off in the table than many of us thought we would be in late summer. The recent criticism of Dickov is justified but to me and I hope the vast majority he is the best man for the job at BP. Yes he could be more tactically aware, but was Joe Royle a season and a half in? There's not a pot to piss in, the budget will be cut further in the summer and 75% of the squad again out of contract means again we will be living hand to mouth. If Dickov was sacked who the :censored: would we get? Part of the reason we are in the mess we are now is having to pay off Talbot, Moore, Shez and Penney money that could have been invested into the team. Instead mob mentality won the day, then the mob :censored:ed off and left us with crowds of 2,500….

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few people on twitter- yeah like 3, one of them (who I won't give the ego boost of naming) has been on about it for months, but he portrays a deluded moron so well that I'm starting to think he is one.

Anyone with a bit of common sense can see that finishing above the relegation zone (which we will do easily) and two good cup runs, including a money-spinner against the Scousers has made this season a success.

A few people on twitter- yeah like 3, one of them (who I won't give the ego boost of naming) has been on about it for months, but he portrays a deluded moron so well that I'm starting to think he is one.

Anyone with a bit of common sense can see that finishing above the relegation zone (which we will do easily) and two good cup runs, including a money-spinner against the Scousers has made this season a success.

Too many Championship Manager players and amateur footballers, see themselves as some sort of authority on the game. If they were any good they wouldn't be playing amateur football or Championship Manager…..

Whilst i'm still firmly behind Dickov, there's several of our fans that think he's some sort of Messiah for getting us to Anfield. Just to clarify Mr. Taylor scoring a goal, and then the nice man who drew out our ball after Liverpool's 'Got' us to Anfield - Pure chance, not managerial expertise. However, Dickov did manage to win us a couple of cup-games giving us the 'chance' of a plum draw.

Too many Championship Manager players and amateur footballers, see themselves as some sort of authority on the game. If they were any good they wouldn't be playing amateur football or Championship Manager…..

There's also a few not even amateur enough to be an amateur footballer, yet consider themselves as a sort of authority on the game.

As for Champ manager - pfffff

What I find funny is that some say 'with the quality in the side' he isn't doing a good job, but who did they sign for? It wasn't Oldham we sack Dickov we lose every out of contract player I gurentee it, and we lose some players in contract. We have a poor fans numbers wise, and the ones asking for Dickov to be sacked seem to forget our best ever manager took years to get it right.

All I want is improvment and given how strong this league this year we have done that, apart from Stevenage does anyone above us have a smaller budget? Look at how strong that Colchester side was, full of players that 4 years ago would have played in a top 8 team. Compare this side to the ones we had under Shez and Moore and this is the weakest, only Penney had a worse team under these owners and maybe Talbot but both were at fault for that.

To many, the only answer to a misfiring team is sack the manager. And then what happens? Another man is brought in, the squad and the backroom team changes, the team misfires and there are calls to sack the manager. And then what happens? I think you know the answer.

PD is working his Niagaras off to build a team with sod all in the kitty. He's brought players in who I doubt would consider playing at BP were it not for him. At least he tries to get them to play football, but he won't achieve that in every game. We've got a mix of inexperienced kids, one or two who could play at a higher level, one that already has and the rest are, quite simply, League 1 players.

So what do these numpties expect? Muller every opposing team 5-0 every week? Play the kind of football that would have Premiership managers drooling? Christ on a bicycle, there's Premiership teams that can't achieve that.

I can understand why some manager's heads are called for. I can hardly bring myself to mention the last bloke we had, but it was right that he was sacked and it was right that fans wanted him to be. The football (if you can call it that) was dire in the extreme with virtually no attempt at an attacking mentality. Uncle Ronnie simply played hoofball; you needed an air traffic controller at times and treatment for sore necks. As for Talbot, he looked as though even he couldn't give a monkey's toss and the players appeared to follow suit.

Shez was different but, alas, he lost his way after three seasons and it was probably the right time for him to go. He learned from his mistakes and got Chesterfield promoted, but he's showing how much harder it is in a division higher.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not halfway up PD's bum proclaiming him to be the next Mourinho or Guardiola, but he's inexperienced and learning his trade at a club that's got sod all money and a limited squad that has recently been hit with injuries. You can't just pick up the phone and order an instant replacement for Furball, Wes, Taylor, Black/Diallo. You have to go with what you've got unless you're lucky enough to find a higher league gem that actually wants to come and play at BP.

It's very easy saying "bring someone in", but you actually have to find them and persuade them to come. Too many folk (who would have no idea, unless they're "in the know") have decided that PD is doing bugger all. How do we know he's not on the blower every day trying to bring someone in to plug the gaps with no money to do it with?

Get off his back, give him a chance. And by that I mean a bloody sight more than a season and a half. I've said it many times, but it took Big Joe 5 years before you could really say he was successful. So if you think PD can do it in 18 months, you're deluded. Support the team and all that goes with it, or go and become an armchair Prem "fan".

There seem to be an over-reaction last night which I was going to dive into but thought better of and watched the end of Shameless instead.

However, Dickov is what Dickov is. A young manager in his second season trying to put a team together, with very limited resources, to play in a way that he wants us to play. The system of loanees and short-term contracts, itself borne out of feeble resources, means that he can't do the longer term planning that I'm sure he'd like to do - surely we all know that by now. However, although he may mention being down to the <cliche>bare bones</cliche> and not having the depth he'd want, I don't think he really ever seeks to use it as an excuse.

He's also still likely to make mistakes or, to put it another way, sometimes make decisions that many will disagree with. Good. That's his job - he gets paid to do it and <cliche>football's all about opinions, innit</cliche>. Sometimes these can be interpreted as tactical naivety, sometimes they be just that but then maybe sometimes, the plan B that we may be thinking of, isn't actually going to work either.

So what does he have available to him? Firstly, passion and enthusiasm. I'm a firm believer that passion or enthusiasm is a huge asset whatever you choose to do and more so when a part of your job is to inspire and get others to follow your instructions. Of course, it doesn't get you any points but it's better having it than not.

There is also the feeling that we should be able to do better with this squad and that he's not doing that due to some management failure on his part. That being the case, then at least credit Dickov for having the player spotting ability or salesmanship to be able to persuade this set of players to turn out for us. I think we can (and will) finish around the middle, which will be a decent achievement as far as I'm concerned. Beyond that, I'd be more inclined to judge him at the end of next season against sensible criteria.

Is Dickov a messiah? No

Is Dickov untouchable? No

Does Dickov have areas of his management that he needs to work on? Hell yes

But putting aside the failures of the off field management of the club and purely from a footballing perspective, its a complete no brainer as far as sticking with Dickov is concerned. Whilst he has his weaknesses he also has his strengths. He is liked (and has the respect) of everyone at the club. He has played an instrumental part in persuading the likes of MVoto, Cizak, Simpson, Kuqi to play their football at Boundary Park, which is a credit to the guy considering some of them could have gone to bigger clubs in a higher division for a lot more money.

And who on earth do this mob think could come in and do a better job than the current management team on the current budget, which in all likelihood will probably be slashed again next season?

Is Dickov a messiah? No

Is Dickov untouchable? No

Does Dickov have areas of his management that he needs to work on? Hell yes

But putting aside the failures of the off field management of the club and purely from a footballing perspective, its a complete no brainer as far as sticking with Dickov is concerned. Whilst he has his weaknesses he also has his strengths. He is liked (and has the respect) of everyone at the club. He has played an instrumental part in persuading the likes of MVoto, Cizak, Simpson, Kuqi to play their football at Boundary Park, which is a credit to the guy considering some of them could have gone to bigger clubs in a higher division for a lot more money.

And who on earth do this mob think could come in and do a better job than the current management team on the current budget, which in all likelihood will probably be slashed again next season?

You mention that there players could have gone to bigger clubs on bigger money. There has been nothing to suggest that is true apart from a few rumours about mvoto and huddersfield at the start of the season.

I think M'voto and Kuqi both explicitly said they'd been offered more elsewhere. Simpson probably could have gone elsewhere for more, the form he was in when he signed - and probably will at the end of the season.

It's not really important anyway. The thing to look at is whether Dickov's made decent signings given the budget he's working with and it's difficult to argue that he hasn't.

You mention that there players could have gone to bigger clubs on bigger money. There has been nothing to suggest that is true apart from a few rumours about mvoto and huddersfield at the start of the season.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2438293,00.html

Kuqi had offers from championship clubs and a fair few League 1 clubs on deadline day but chose to go to Oldham

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I take it most of you are on about me.

What I will say about Dickov is that he has assembled a good squad and attracted some high quality footballers to the club. However, to say he has had no money is a bit wide of the mark : Kuqi will be on a fair whack, Simpson won't have come cheap, nor would Wesolowski, Diamond and Mvoto. Adding on that we actually paid a fee for the keeper : none of that sounds like a club in financial crisis. Fair play to Corney, he has backed all his managers and put his hand in his pocket (Windass, Colbeck, Furman, Cisak immediately come to mind).

Dickov had a decent honeymoon period of Aug-Dec 2010 and since then, give or take the odd game, we have been toss. Utter toss. Not much better than served up by Dave Penis.

The players are of better quality than to be languishing in 16th place in L1. The likes of Cisak, Furman, Adeyemi (when he turns up), Wes, Taylor, Kuqi, Simpson, Lee and Mvoto are all very good L1 players, some, IMO, can and will play at a higher level. I've lost count of the amount of times we have been comfortable in a game and end up clinging on to a point or, ultimately, losing the game.

I've resigned myself to the fact that he won't be sacked, but all I hope for is that another club come and take him off our hands. As for his replacement, Dux. No hesitation for me. Knows the club, served his 'YTS' in coaching terms and, looking at our dugout, seems to be the only one to actually do any coaching. Taggart is too busy sipping his brew (although, positively, thats changed the last couple of games), Dickov is too busy arguing with the 4th official and Paul Butler is just copying everything that Dickov does (Yes boss, no boss, 3 bags full boss).

Still, he's not Dave Penney.

Keep it Latics.

What I will say about Dickov is that he has assembled a good squad and attracted some high quality footballers to the club. However, to say he has had no money is a bit wide of the mark : Kuqi will be on a fair whack, Simpson won't have come cheap, nor would Wesolowski, Diamond and Mvoto. Adding on that we actually paid a fee for the keeper : none of that sounds like a club in financial crisis. Fair play to Corney, he has backed all his managers and put his hand in his pocket (Windass, Colbeck, Furman, Cisak immediately come to mind).

Dickov had a decent honeymoon period of Aug-Dec 2010 and since then, give or take the odd game, we have been toss. Utter toss. Not much better than served up by Dave Penis.

The players are of better quality than to be languishing in 16th place in L1. The likes of Cisak, Furman, Adeyemi (when he turns up), Wes, Taylor, Kuqi, Simpson, Lee and Mvoto are all very good L1 players, some, IMO, can and will play at a higher level. I've lost count of the amount of times we have been comfortable in a game and end up clinging on to a point or, ultimately, losing the game.

I've resigned myself to the fact that he won't be sacked, but all I hope for is that another club come and take him off our hands. As for his replacement, Dux. No hesitation for me. Knows the club, served his 'YTS' in coaching terms and, looking at our dugout, seems to be the only one to actually do any coaching. Taggart is too busy sipping his brew (although, positively, thats changed the last couple of games), Dickov is too busy arguing with the 4th official and Paul Butler is just copying everything that Dickov does (Yes boss, no boss, 3 bags full boss).

Keep it Latics.

Of course we were on about you Paddy, fair play for explaining your reasoning but as for Dux I agree he's a ledge and probably would be a front-runner if PD left. BUT you've only got to look at how the reserves have panned out under Dux, (mostly :censored:e) be careful what you wish for. Whilst Dux can't be blamed for having to play so many yoofs, triallists and disinterested returnees from injury and dropees….the reserves have been pretty useless under his stewardship.

Keep it Latics.

Careful what you wish for!