Dickov Out!

10 points behind 6th place Notts County with three games in hand ... win those and win at Meadow Lane ... and win everything else ever ....

Actually, the above scenario, Stevenage continue their run of form and Carlise lose a couple of games and it is not only game on, but actually rests in our hands.

Unbelieveable Jeff.

All we have to do is play 2 decent halves of football instead of the usual one and its in the bag.

Its not much to ask!

"Keep the heid", as PD would say.

I am sure he would not say "Yer bum's oot the windae"

Edited by singe

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we won't get the playoffs but theres no harm in hoping. if we win the next five games and players keep coming back then maybe we can but i cant see it with this team right now

if we could win a few and have a strong end to the season and i wouldnt be bothered about the play-offs. if it meant there'd be something to fight for and we could use it to tie a few players down to longer contracts and build again for next season then that'd do for me

Will people stop papping on about the play-offs. We've as much chance of reaching those as one legged man in an arse kicking contest. Paper thin squad fitness wise, good result yesterday granted but we've got to sustain a 15 game run or so which we'll not do.

Dickov in though. Anyone who thinks the opposite right now needs sectioning.

Indeed Mr Shankly.

For me - i will be absolutely made-up if the season finishes ans we are in 13th.

We can forget the play-offs......we always should've too as it was never realistic.

We dont have the squad. Starting XI wise; if all our best players are out on the pitch we could be a match to most, but we dont have the strength in depth in the squad to make it to the top 6 sides in the league.

Win as many as we can from now until the end of the season and get as high as we can, but i for one will be chuffed to bits with a finish right where we are now!

Saturday's result is definitely a good start in changing my views around PD. However, it also strongly backs up my main point. That point is that we do have some very very good players at the club. They have shown that on occasions, such as Charlton, Huddersfield (h), even the Sheff Wed home game and then of course on Saturday.

I'm not fickle enough to turn around after 1 good result and say "I've changed my mind and Dickov is the Messiah", but more displays like that, especially against the likes of Scunny, Dale and Yeovil (who we play in the next couple of weeks) will strengthen our league position greatly and then, only then, will I start to eat humble pie.

I fully expect us to be beaten by a Jon Parkin header tomorrow and undo all the good work from Saturday. Hope I'm wrong though.

Is that the manager's fault though, or the players? In my view it's the latter, and whilst you can (and probably will) say that it's up to the manager to ensure his players play to their full potential, who's to say that they aren't - these guys are in league one for a reason, most are going to be inconsistent from time to time.

Constant improvement is good enough for me - evidence of that and I'll be happy. We're hampered by off-field issues which are nothing to do with the manager, and in my mind that's what's likely to screw us.

Saturday's result is definitely a good start in changing my views around PD. However, it also strongly backs up my main point. That point is that we do have some very very good players at the club. They have shown that on occasions, such as Charlton, Huddersfield (h), even the Sheff Wed home game and then of course on Saturday.

I'm not fickle enough to turn around after 1 good result and say "I've changed my mind and Dickov is the Messiah", but more displays like that, especially against the likes of Scunny, Dale and Yeovil (who we play in the next couple of weeks) will strengthen our league position greatly and then, only then, will I start to eat humble pie.

I fully expect us to be beaten by a Jon Parkin header tomorrow and undo all the good work from Saturday. Hope I'm wrong though.

Fair play for allowing yourself the chance to be proved wrong.

The majority of football fans are too stubborn to change their views about anything.

• 5 months later...

OK, so we sack Dickov. Who do we bring in to replace him? The only two options I imagine we'd have would be an average journeyman manager, or another rookie. (Because lets face it, who else would want to come here, realistically?) We give him a couple of seasons and we're still an average league one side, so we hound him out, and the same thing happens again. And on, and on, and on.

Dickov might not be doing the greatest job, but it's nice to at least have some stability for a change.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

OK, so we sack Dickov. Who do we bring in to replace him? The only two options I imagine we'd have would be an average journeyman manager, or another rookie. (Because lets face it, who else would want to come here, realistically?) We give him a couple of seasons and we're still an average league one side, so we hound him out, and the same thing happens again. And on, and on, and on.

Dickov might not be doing the greatest job, but it's nice to at least have some stability for a change.

/\

This.

Main problem for me, it's fine people saying sack Dickov.......... we could end up with another Dave Penney and that would be curtains for us..............................................................................NO REALLY!

Edited by lancy lad

/\

This.

Main problem for me, it's fine people saying sack Dickov.......... we could end up with another Dave Penney and that would be curtains for us..............................................................................NO REALLY!

Don't people say that Dickov keeping us in this league is a success???

Dave Penney did that....Ronnie Moore did that, and they were sacked.

Im still behind dickov for the moment but it would be interesting to compare his record to both moore and Penney. We complained at lack of goals under Penney......is it any better now? I'd guess not much difference.

We've seen glimpses to show us that dickov can get us playing nice football.....but we see far more glimpses of poor defending, unfit players and new signings (smith etc) not getting a run due to endless (and usually pointless) loans. Our lack of ability to finish teams off and go from decent to garbage in the 15 min ht interval is the most worrying thing.

For me....taggert is the man who doesn't bring enough...we'd be MUCH better off with a seasoned assistant. Dickov, no P45 but a serious talking to is in order....

Edited by Fruitygoo

Don't people say that Dickov keeping us in this league is a success???

Dave Penney did that....Ronnie Moore did that, and they were sacked.

Im still behind dickov for the moment but it would be interesting to compare his record to both moore and Penney. We complained at lack of goals under Penney......is it any better now? I'd guess not much difference.

We've seen glimpses to show us that dickov can get us playing nice football.....but we see far more glimpses of poor defending, unfit players and new signings (smith etc) not getting a run due to endless (and usually pointless) loans. Our lack of ability to finish teams off and go from decent to garbage in the 15 min ht interval is the most worrying thing.

For me....taggert is the man who doesn't bring enough...we'd be MUCH better off with a seasoned assistant. Dickov, no P45 but a serious talking to is in order....

I dont disagree that questions need to be asked.

I also have worries that Dickov makes the same mistakes, which is very worrying............. like a lack of changes when it isn't working.

We all know sacking Ronnie was a mistake, even if the football wasn't pretty.

However, you will never convince me with Penney so you can forget even trying. Like I say, Dickov hasn't yet got it right but Penney made everyone feel nothing short of suicidal and that is where your argument is full of flaws. Like I said, we could end up with another Penney and that is why we need to give Dickov more time IMO.

Dave Penney was the ultimate low....I'm not saying I'd ever want the guy back and I was one who wasn't going to buy a st with him in charge. I was simply making a point that those who say PD being sucessful is keeping us in the league didn't think that was the case under Penney.

I dont want automatic promotion....I want steady progression. Proof we as a team and PD as a manager are improving. At the moment, I see the same things happening far to often.

Dave Penney was the ultimate low....I'm not saying I'd ever want the guy back and I was one who wasn't going to buy a st with him in charge. I was simply making a point that those who say PD being sucessful is keeping us in the league didn't think that was the case under Penney.

I dont want automatic promotion....I want steady progression. Proof we as a team and PD as a manager are improving. At the moment, I see the same things happening far to often.

Give him more than 3 games to judge "steady progression", thats all I'm saying.

We can all see that we are not the finished article, but every supporter's feelings are easily portrayed onto the pitch and right now we need to lift that feeling. How many negative (some really are, some are just genuinely concerned but others jump on it) threads have been started today? Over the last few days there are several about how Dickov, several about Tarky, there have been 2 started about Matt Smith in the last few hours.........? I have never know a day with more threads started on this board....... ever.

Some by older fans who have watched throughout the Talbot and Penney era's who claim they are more depressed than ever before in life..........................? Really....................? Is it that bad? That sounds worse than death? People need to man up and grow a pair!

It's football............ It's Latics.............. and who knows, give it a few more months every :censored:er could have cup fever again as everyone did 8 or 9 months ago.

Time to lift the place, not be suicidal!

KTF

We can all see that we are not the finished article, but every supporter's feelings are easily portrayed onto the pitch and right now we need to lift that feeling. How many negative (some really are, some are just genuinely concerned but others jump on it) threads have been started today? Over the last few days there are several about how Dickov, several about Tarky, there have been 2 started about Matt Smith in the last few hours.........? I have never know a day with more threads started on this board....... ever.

Some by older fans who have watched throughout the Talbot and Penney era's who claim they are more depressed than ever before in life..........................? Really....................? Is it that bad? That sounds worse than death? People need to man up and grow a pair!

It's football............ It's Latics.............. and who knows, give it a few more months every :censored:er could have cup fever again as everyone did 8 or 9 months ago.

KTF

If you are referring to me, yes I have been depressed countless times over the years with Latics performances, in the case of the managers you mentioned it was inevitable they wouldn't last long and hope springs eternal with new managers.

What we are seeing now is the same as for the last few months of the previous season, same game plan, same type of players, and the same results.

And BTW I have grown a pair in my time, but like my brain they are somewhat withered now.

KTF

That's OK and I agree to some extent but he's had 2 seasons and 3 games and no matter who he brings in it just doesn't seem to change the way we play.

At the end of the season he said he had got it wrong with the flair players and his next signings would run through brick walls............now be honest, does this lot look like they would run through brick walls for the cause?

By his own admission he said we are aiming for the playoffs.........That get's the fans buzzing and it's no wonder there is dissapointment amongst fans after the last two performances.

The only reason Dickov hasn't been hounded out is because of his media skills and the passion that he shows for the club and fans....people's patience is wearing thin and a decent season is way overdue.......we are not winning back the lost fans, just over 3000 homers for the first game of a new season is not acceptable!!

That's OK and I agree to some extent but he's had 2 seasons and 3 games and no matter who he brings in it just doesn't seem to change the way we play.

At the end of the season he said he had got it wrong with the flair players and his next signings would run through brick walls............now be honest, does this lot look like they would run through brick walls for the cause?

By his own admission he said we are aiming for the playoffs.........That get's the fans buzzing and it's no wonder there is dissapointment amongst fans after the last two performances.

The only reason Dickov hasn't been hounded out is because of his media skills and the passion that he shows for the club and fans....people's patience is wearing thin and a decent season is way overdue.......we are not winning back the lost fans, just over 3000 homers for the first game of a new season is not acceptable!!

Okay Graham this is the way I see it.

The Play Off's may still be acheivable (i very much doubt we are good enough, like you do) but that is not evident 2 league games in.

As for players running through brick walls, a few of which have been signed in the last few weeks................... are we going to give them a chance or are we being typical Latics fans and castigating players without giving them a fair crack of the whip?

As for the amount of paying fans, which you highlighted on another post............ How can anyone say how many paid on the gate??? We are in August and could have had a large percentage of Season Ticket holders still on holiday (as 3 out of the 5 who I go with are).

I honestly am not happy clapping (I hate happy clappers and have rowed several times in the past when people try to stop me speaking out in the crowd), all as I am saying is give it more time...................... it could be worse.............. far worse.

If you are referring to me, yes I have been depressed countless times over the years with Latics performances, in the case of the managers you mentioned it was inevitable they wouldn't last long and hope springs eternal with new managers.

What we are seeing now is the same as for the last few months of the previous season, same game plan, same type of players, and the same results.

And BTW I have grown a pair in my time, but like my brain they are somewhat withered now.

Yes I was referring to you BP but did not want to make it personal.

You talk a lot of sense often and are usually someone who likes to promote the postives and not the negatives............................ however "I have never been as depressed in my life" is not helpful right now when people are trying to get it going.................. laticdickovarmy is working so hard on the Latics for Life scheme and Lags, opinions4u and several others are working voluntarily and tirelessly to gain investment into playershare (to which I choose to contribute monthly).

Seriously mate, if Latics make you that depressed give it up........................... seriously!

I dont mean to piss you off in any way as we need all the fans we can get right now but I was very surpised when I read your thread and thought it was very melodramatic!

Again....... KTF.

I dont want Dickov out, im willing to give him time, but to me, hes not much better than Penney. Difference being Dickov talks better and SEEMS to make better signings, however his tactics, naivity let him down MASSIVELY.

Worthington, Purdey, Colbeck, Abbott.

Wesolowski, Simpson, Kuqi, Mvoto.

No contest.

Yes I was referring to you BP but did not want to make it personal.

You talk a lot of sense often and are usually someone who likes to promote the postives and not the negatives............................ however "I have never been as depressed in my life" is not helpful right now when people are trying to get it going.................. laticdickovarmy is working so hard on the Latics for Life scheme and Lags, opinions4u and several others are working voluntarily and tirelessly to gain investment into playershare (to which I choose to contribute monthly).

Seriously mate, if Latics make you that depressed give it up........................... seriously!

I dont mean to piss you off in any way as we need all the fans we can get right now but I was very surpised when I read your thread and thought it was very melodramatic!

Again....... KTF.

No problems with your last post, however, they are my opinions and rightly or wrongly I tell it as I see it, arriving home after such a poor display brought back all the memories of the dire last few months of the previous season and it all happening again, this after the optimism of buying a new season ticket.

Perhaps some people don't notice, but I do try to inject a sense of humour in many of my posts.

The reason I and many others renew season tickets is habit and hope springs eternal.

I applaud the good work done by many in supporting the club, but lets also have some entertainment on the field please instead of the same predictable style of play.

Edited by BP1960

Worthington, Purdey, Colbeck, Abbott.

Wesolowski, Simpson, Kuqi, Mvoto.

No contest.

It's alright talking about his signings but he isn't getting the best out of them. Kuqi 11 goals in the league half way through his spell with us then no more goals or the rest of the time but still starts every week! It's ok saying he brings more to the game than that but I wouldn't be paying a player £3,500 a week to be a second striker.

Dickov lacks the tactical ability to manage us. I would love to be a fly on the wall at half time! This group of players aren't fitter than the last lot, my pointing the finger blaming would be on Paul butler & Gerry taggert. I think dickov needs an older assistant a former manager. Royle or Ritchie beside him and you would see a big difference.