Latics best ever signing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the day we ever signed someone called Roger Palmer from Man City has to be the one.

Also, speaking to my dad this week, I never knew this but didn't Man City have first refusal on Ian Marshall and another Everton player in the late 80's and they picked the other player.

Lack of historical perspective my young friends.

Bobby Johnstone springs to mind. Even Sheridan coudn't compare to the quality of that man.

And none of us on here can talk about signings made pre-1939 so let's not talk of Latics' "best ever" signing!

Everybody has an opinion but Lee Croft/ Neil Kilkenny?

Is that for their part in the Talbot relegation battle?

Greatest ever signing will hopefully turn out to be Micah.

In my lifetime it has to be Roger Palmer or Andy Ritchie

However overall only one candidiate in my opinion Sir Jimmy Frizzell, 20 odd years as manager and player, signed some greats and by all accounts was a Mr. reliable type player who was hardly injured and would often pop up with an important goal. And won us promotion twice and kept us in the 2nd tier on a shoe string whilst putting out teams that played the correct way.

In my lifetime it has to be Roger Palmer or Andy Ritchie

However overall only one candidiate in my opinion Sir Jimmy Frizzell, 20 odd years as manager and player, signed some greats and by all accounts was a Mr. reliable type player who was hardly injured and would often pop up with an important goal. And won us promotion twice and kept us in the 2nd tier on a shoe string whilst putting out teams that played the correct way.

Good call! Sir Frizz! :imnotworthy:

Roger Palmer, Andy Ritchie or Denis Irwin.

Tough one....

I would say Irwin....

Contributed too us....played at the highest level in the game and made us money in transfer fees....

Not looking at factors like transfer fees and what they did in the game I would defo say Ritchie, Roger thrid....

Cost hardly anything, made a huge impact all through the glory years.........

It put Roger third just on the back that when everything started going really well for us his legs had started to go....by the time we was in the top flight he was a shadow of his former self and that wasnt because of the level of football he had just aged....still we owe him for getting us there! I still remember him scoring some important goals in the prem though...

I the above fair about Roger ? My memory of it all has started too fade :( Cant belive how long ago it all was now :(

Edited by oafc0000

Tough one....

I would say Irwin....

Contributed too us....played at the highest level in the game and made us money in transfer fees....

Not looking at factors like transfer fees and what they did in the game I would defo say Ritchie, Roger thrid....

Cost hardly anything, made a huge impact all through the glory years.........

It put Roger third just on the back that when everything started going really well for us his legs had started to go....by the time we was in the top flight he was a shadow of his former self and that wasnt because of the level of football he had just aged....still we owe him for getting us there! I still remember him scoring some important goals in the prem though...

I the above fair about Roger ? My memory of it all has started too fade :( Cant belive how long ago it all was now :(

you'll never beat Earl Barrett logically, signed for next to nothing and sold for 1.7 million, the club record. when he was here he was superb player.

although my heart also says, ritchie or palmer

you'll never beat Earl Barrett logically, signed for next to nothing and sold for 1.7 million, the club record. when he was here he was superb player.

although my heart also says, ritchie or palmer

hmmm your probably right....Earl Barett or Irwin I would say......

TTA

If everything goes according to their plans then you must be correct and they'll deserve nothing less than the Freedom of the Borough!

On the playing side, Bobby Johnstone was the man who put bums on seats - he transformed BP attendances in the early 1960s. Bernard Halford, the Club's Assistant Secretary at the time, is reported to have recalled, "He transformed the club, no doubt about that. He had the crowds flocking down Sheepfoot Lane, even though Athletic had dropped into the Fourth Division. I think it was the only period in my life when I regularly told lies. On match days the phone never stopped ringing. ‘Is Johnstone playing?’ Bobby might have been sitting in my office with his ankle in plaster, but I had to say he was playing, otherwise the fans wouldn’t have turned up. It really was as cut and dried as that."

I saw him play for Citeh when he was at his peak, and he is the best ever Latics' player seen in my lifetime. He was overweight when he joined us - his stomach seemed to start under his chin - I think it's known as 'barrel-chested'! He had no pace, but he was a brilliant footballer - he made the ball do the work. If Richie Wellens and Neil Kilkenny are supposed to be midfield generals, they would have given up the game in shame if they'd seen Bobby play - there is absolutely no comparison. He rarely wasted a ball and directed pin-point passes all over the field. His defence-splitting passes would bring gasps and applause from the crowd. He took free kicks and as he stood over the ball, he would start to engage the ref in a conversation while at the same time passing the ball to a team mate, with the opposition off-guard. You had to see it to understand. He was what was called a ball-artist - a term you don't hear very often these days.

His transfer fee from Hibs must be the best £4,000 the Club ever spent.

It's certainly tricky; financially it's Barrett but Ritchie is the only one I would pay money just to watch him.

so many to choose from really.

but for me it would have to be

andy ritchie

vic halom

mickey quinn

maybe not everyones but its my opinion.and throw kenny clements in just for the hair.lol

George Hardwick?

For me our best signing is Andy Ritchie. He is THE icon of the Royle era. Even better that we got him for nowt (or next to?) from Leeeeeeds.

Best business is Earl Barrett.

Best find is Irwin. (Another freeby from Leeds :grin: ).

Edited by garcon

best signing for OAFC (2004 ltd), well we would be in the bottom division without beckett

You could say the same about Shan Garnett!!!

I remember that season we stayed up....wow was we bad! He was the only one that had a clue! Remember him leading a very very poor team and just keeping us up!

Everyone over a certain age will always say that the younger ones only know about the more recent signings but -

I suppose it depends on how well we do under his mnagement. He was a great player, helped us through 2 relegation battles, stuck around under the darkest days the club have possibly ever had and is now managing. Not many signings (especially freebies) have been at BP for 10 years. I do conceede though he may not be "the best". It does depend on how we do under him. A promotion and he could well be.

The nominations:

Roger Palmer - Definately in the running

Andy Ritchie - Would be stupid not to put him in it

Bobby Johnstone - Wasn't alive to appreciate his significance, but bow down to peoples age and wisdom.

John Sheridan -See above

Whilst others make claims for others, I can't see how anyone comes close.