Latics best ever signing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just a thought, are people saying irwin for what he did while he was with us, or for what he accomplished further down the road?

either way i think he was oustanding, but as our best player he never won anything with us did he, i know he would have done.

Lack of historical perspective my young friends.

Bobby Johnstone springs to mind. Even Sheridan coudn't compare to the quality of that man.

And none of us on here can talk about signings made pre-1939 so let's not talk of Latics' "best ever" signing!

Within living memory then ?

Agree with you Pete, Bobby Johnstone by a mile.

Roger Palmer followed by Pukka Pies.

Controversial I know to some, but what about Mr. Oldham Athletic himself.........................................................................

................Mr. Alan Hardy, even though Chris Moore tried to screw him over he was still there to come back to his desk in our hour of need and no doubt helped TTA a hell of a lot during their initial few months here. I'm sure they didn't know where to start in running the Admin side of a Football Club. Arrives at the crack of dawn leaves late on and although many of us have had 'run-ins' with him and criticised the guy often he is always accessible to us fans. (Even though he called us 'punters' once!) Tapped up from Mossley too in 1980/81, going on for 27/28 years service.

Team wise, if you were to pick GK, Def, Mid and Attacker, this would be my list!

GK: Hallworth, For someone who looked like he was bullied badly at school, he could dive around that box like a cat!

Def: Earl the pearl, The best bit of business we ever did signing earl, and obviously was our Captain for promotion.

Mid: Its hard to look past Eyres, for him to take the piddle on the wing was awesome (Ricky Holden was a very close second)

Att: Ritchie, by far and away the best, as defences became better so did he, i think Palmer wasnt as good in later years hence why i picked Stitch!

Team wise, if you were to pick GK, Def, Mid and Attacker, this would be my list!

GK: Hallworth, For someone who looked like he was bullied badly at school, he could dive around that box like a cat!

Def: Earl the pearl, The best bit of business we ever did signing earl, and obviously was our Captain for promotion.

Mid: Its hard to look past Eyres, for him to take the piddle on the wing was awesome (Ricky Holden was a very close second)

Att: Ritchie, by far and away the best, as defences became better so did he, i think Palmer wasnt as good in later years hence why i picked Stitch!

Ok Hallworth for the £125k we apid for him we got sterling service and he did have some blinders, particularly in the year we went up. But i'd have to go for Gary Kelly, a bargain at £10k. But if we're talking BEST EVER it has to be picking Andy Goram up for nowt from WBA's youth system

Defender: Definitely Earl Barrett, £35k an all! Cheers Ciddy!

Midfielder: Without shadow of a doubt The Dodger (We signed him as a right sided midfielder) He ended up scoring 156 goals in all competitions!!!!! Cheers again Ciddy! £70k, :laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16:

Striker: Stitch £55k says it all really! :imnotworthy::imnotworthy::imnotworthy:

Lack of historical perspective my young friends.

Bobby Johnstone springs to mind. Even Sheridan coudn't compare to the quality of that man.

And none of us on here can talk about signings made pre-1939 so let's not talk of Latics' "best ever" signing!

My Dad, now in his 80s and been going to the Latics since the late 20s, says Bobby Johnstone.

I'll go with that then.

My fav must be Jobo.

ALAN GROVES. I can't believe that the greatest all round entertainer to put on a Tics shirt has been so far ignored. The man was a genious. Beating his man then going back to beat him again. He put feet in the stands and bums on seats. I know Bobby Johnstone and Jimmy Frizzell served the club but Grovesy entertained and that is what it's all about surely....

Edited by happyterryb

In my lifetime it has to be Roger Palmer or Andy Ritchie

However overall only one candidiate in my opinion Sir Jimmy Frizzell, 20 odd years as manager and player, signed some greats and by all accounts was a Mr. reliable type player who was hardly injured and would often pop up with an important goal. And won us promotion twice and kept us in the 2nd tier on a shoe string whilst putting out teams that played the correct way.

with you on that ,that king jimmy frizzell is the best signing latics ever made along with roger palmer vic halom ,simon stainrod ,ritchie ,d irwin roger wylde plus others

If everything goes according to their plans then you must be correct and they'll deserve nothing less than the Freedom of the Borough!

On the playing side, Bobby Johnstone was the man who put bums on seats - he transformed BP attendances in the early 1960s. Bernard Halford, the Club's Assistant Secretary at the time, is reported to have recalled, "He transformed the club, no doubt about that. He had the crowds flocking down Sheepfoot Lane, even though Athletic had dropped into the Fourth Division. I think it was the only period in my life when I regularly told lies. On match days the phone never stopped ringing. ‘Is Johnstone playing?’ Bobby might have been sitting in my office with his ankle in plaster, but I had to say he was playing, otherwise the fans wouldn’t have turned up. It really was as cut and dried as that."

I saw him play for Citeh when he was at his peak, and he is the best ever Latics' player seen in my lifetime. He was overweight when he joined us - his stomach seemed to start under his chin - I think it's known as 'barrel-chested'! He had no pace, but he was a brilliant footballer - he made the ball do the work. If Richie Wellens and Neil Kilkenny are supposed to be midfield generals, they would have given up the game in shame if they'd seen Bobby play - there is absolutely no comparison. He rarely wasted a ball and directed pin-point passes all over the field. His defence-splitting passes would bring gasps and applause from the crowd. He took free kicks and as he stood over the ball, he would start to engage the ref in a conversation while at the same time passing the ball to a team mate, with the opposition off-guard. You had to see it to understand. He was what was called a ball-artist - a term you don't hear very often these days.

His transfer fee from Hibs must be the best £4,000 the Club ever spent.

I'm only a youg'un and didn't see this guy play, but this wonderful description gets him my vote.

From my time, I was never so uplifted as when watching from behind Stitch as he looks up, slows time down, sees a vacant top corner of the onion bag and calmly loops the ball 25 yards into it over the entire defense like that was the easiest part of the whole manoeuvre. He's got to be just about the finest footballer never to play for his country.

If everything goes according to their plans then you must be correct and they'll deserve nothing less than the Freedom of the Borough!

On the playing side, Bobby Johnstone was the man who put bums on seats - he transformed BP attendances in the early 1960s. Bernard Halford, the Club's Assistant Secretary at the time, is reported to have recalled, "He transformed the club, no doubt about that. He had the crowds flocking down Sheepfoot Lane, even though Athletic had dropped into the Fourth Division. I think it was the only period in my life when I regularly told lies. On match days the phone never stopped ringing. ‘Is Johnstone playing?’ Bobby might have been sitting in my office with his ankle in plaster, but I had to say he was playing, otherwise the fans wouldn’t have turned up. It really was as cut and dried as that."

I saw him play for Citeh when he was at his peak, and he is the best ever Latics' player seen in my lifetime. He was overweight when he joined us - his stomach seemed to start under his chin - I think it's known as 'barrel-chested'! He had no pace, but he was a brilliant footballer - he made the ball do the work. If Richie Wellens and Neil Kilkenny are supposed to be midfield generals, they would have given up the game in shame if they'd seen Bobby play - there is absolutely no comparison. He rarely wasted a ball and directed pin-point passes all over the field. His defence-splitting passes would bring gasps and applause from the crowd. He took free kicks and as he stood over the ball, he would start to engage the ref in a conversation while at the same time passing the ball to a team mate, with the opposition off-guard. You had to see it to understand. He was what was called a ball-artist - a term you don't hear very often these days.

His transfer fee from Hibs must be the best £4,000 the Club ever spent.

He could also score penalties off both posts intentionally

In my "lifetime" it would have to be Andy Ritchie. He kick-started the glory years of the 1990s. It's a shame (due to injuries) he didn't play more games at the top level.

You can include financial in that because of the money brought in from cup runs, attendances etc. - even though he left on a free!

Controversial I know to some, but what about Mr. Oldham Athletic himself.........................................................................

................Mr. Alan Hardy, even though Chris Moore tried to screw him over he was still there to come back to his desk in our hour of need and no doubt helped TTA a hell of a lot during their initial few months here. I'm sure they didn't know where to start in running the Admin side of a Football Club. Arrives at the crack of dawn leaves late on and although many of us have had 'run-ins' with him and criticised the guy often he is always accessible to us fans. (Even though he called us 'punters' once!) Tapped up from Mossley too in 1980/81, going on for 27/28 years service.

Did Mossley ever find the (alledged) missing Lottery money?

Sir Andy, Roger Palmer and Jobbo for me, although i think Redfearn could have done a great job in the top flight and become one of our greats

i agree bang on defo with palmer , god(stitch) and redders should of been playing 4 us in the prem bar none, and

didnt realize beardy was that old but thowd fella will agree bar none with Bobby JOhnstone,