The irony of this interview

Purely? If he had been banging them in for fun could you have seen Shez getting rid so quickly? Yes he has a baggage and yes his swift departure indicates that something was wrong in the dressing room but that goes hand in hand with his poor performances and lack of effort. If he had been scoring for fun he'd probably have been kept and forced to work with the rest of the squad. He was unfit, lazy and had problems in the dressing room and I think all 3 were factors in his departure.

Opinions mate.

Not sure if contracts can be broken due to opinions (and failure to score goals aint a reason either). Actually, I know that they can't.

Disciplinary matters on the other hand..........

I agree with the second sentence.

I'm still puzzled though how you could have made up your mind about the first claim before you had even seen him kick a ball for us.

Ah well. He's history as far as Latics is concerned.

:)

My opinion before he was signed was based on how many clubs he had been binned by since his big move from Bolton and how many of their fans thought they were getting a super ex England striker but in reality he was washed up, the only club who's fans liked him was Walsall, but they seem to have moved on without to much disapointment.

• 3 months later...

He played much, much better for us than a lot of our fans would ever admit. People who maintain that he was binned because of his form seem to be missing the point that Sheridan started him in nearly every game, which isn't the usual way with a player you don't rate. I do agree that he could be lazy though, I remember a couple of times he decided to run at full pace, he was blooding lightening! Trouble is, when you know he can do that you have to question why he only did it two or three times in a dozen or so games.

He played much, much better for us than a lot of our fans would ever admit. People who maintain that he was binned because of his form seem to be missing the point that Sheridan started him in nearly every game, which isn't the usual way with a player you don't rate. I do agree that he could be lazy though, I remember a couple of times he decided to run at full pace, he was blooding lightening! Trouble is, when you know he can do that you have to question why he only did it two or three times in a dozen or so games.

lol! THe lad CLEARLY has talent - I don't think that has ever been in question, but since Bolton - Boro, Leeds, Stoke, Cardiff, Burnley, Southend, Preston, Latics, Walsall and now onto Brizzle......................and appeared in less than 100 games in 5 and a half years............................

It's all about ATTITUDE, and sadly it appears that his STINKS!

*Latics fans in fickle scapegoat-making shocker*

Don't you understand LL...he was the worst ever Latics player because he didn't chase every single lost ball. His flick ons were rubbish and to noone...it was never Craig Davies' fault for going walkabout and not having the intelligence to stand somewhere, anywhere, in the middle of the pitch rather than out on the flank (he's not a forward, you know). You must have been somewhere else when we played Walsall at home...showed that day what an awful, useless waste of space he is. Not to mention the fact that Stefan Stam's dog's brother's owner's aunt who saw Deane Smalley's mum in a sandwich shop said over a tuna and cucumber barm that Rico punched her Deano in the face.

Maybe it's time to resurrect the Official Michael Ricketts Appreciation Thread.

Edited by jsslatic

Even the goal tally wouldn't have mattered if he just shown like he wanted to play, he was so lazy, unfit and didn't put any effort in what so ever....now in contrast to the 33 year old we released in the summer gave 110%, Ricketts just didn't go down well at all and it wasn't in the least bit surprising. Good to get rid of him, unfit, lazy, waste of space.

he is a waste of space...only lasted 2 days at san jose...1st day he was ok second he couldnt be bothered so he was released 3 days into a 7 day trial...plus the MLS isnt even as good as league 2.

see link http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=776

ha sam allardyce uses him as a cautionary tale

Edited by Leighpilks

*Latics fans in fickle scapegoat-making shocker*

Don't you understand LL...he was the worst ever Latics player because he didn't chase every single lost ball. His flick ons were rubbish and to noone...it was never Craig Davies' fault for going walkabout and not having the intelligence to stand somewhere, anywhere, in the middle of the pitch rather than out on the flank (he's not a forward, you know). You must have been somewhere else when we played Walsall at home...showed that day what an awful, useless waste of space he is. Not to mention the fact that Stefan Stam's dog's brother's owner's aunt who saw Deane Smalley's mum in a sandwich shop said over a tuna and cucumber barm that Rico punched her Deano in the face.

Maybe it's time to resurrect the Official Michael Ricketts Appreciation Thread.

Yeah it was all the fans fault we are worst people in the universe so what was his excuse at Southend, Leeds, Cardiff, Preston, Middlesborough, Bolton, and Walsall. The guy couldn't play for 90 minutes he just got knackered which for someone at 28 is poor to say the least.

He won an England cap and he thought he was gods gift perhaps it all came abit to quick for him hence why he is just another player who had all the talent to be at the top but none of the heart to do so he is a waster in my book.

He seemed like the right signing at the right time last season.

Somebody who would be the difference between "scraping in to the play-offs" and "getting automatic promotion".

After 2 games it was clear he didn't add much.

Hughes looked like he was struggling in his first couple of games too. But as he got fitter the class shone through.

As he got fitter ......

• 3 weeks later...