I might upset a few here.......but

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries. Before all the injuries, performances have been poor. Which is exactly my point. Consistantly poor performances throughout the season, particularly at home - yet people still wonder why we get sub 5,000 crowds and atmosphere's as poor as we do. Injury's or not. We've been poor this season.

No team in the division wouldnt be struggling, but that's football. Injuries are apart of it and you have to be prepared for any consequences. There are a number of things available to Shez to bring in adequate cover such as emergency loans and short term contracts, yet he most of the time chooses to churn the same stuff out what he's looking for rather than doing something about it - Creative Midfielder. Striker. His comments in the post match reports have generally been in the same vein for most of the season, even without all these injuries. We have been consistantly poor under Shez for going on a year now - or have people suddenly forgot the performances at Crewe, Brentford, Cheltenham in the latter stages of last season to name but a few. Same predictable boring football week in, week out. No matter who's playing or injured.

What 18/19 year old kids have we exactly thrown in at the deep end? Lewis Allesandra being the only one it'd seem. Even though in pre season along with Davies, he impressed people. Particularly in the Sheff Wednesday friendly when he ran them ragged. Most people in the stands that night where gutted when he got injured as he looked the more promising player on the pitch.

Wolfy - This the same one who's been in the set up for four years? Same goes for Lomax who's been with the set up for years and has played in 2 dozen games for Latics before this season. Paul Black and Josh Bell havent been used, be it on the subs bench. Smalley has been with the first team set up since the summer and pretty much knew he was in Shez's plans following Liddell's injury.

Expecting us to go up? Who Is? Certainly not me. Most of my posts the past months have been that the season is fizzling out and that people are living on a false hope thinking we've still got a chance. I just cant accept performance after performance of a shocking standard on a weekly basis, injuries or no injuries. The bottom line for me, is that the football under Shez is p*** poor at current and has been all season even without injuries.

Calling for Shez's head? Who, what, were when?

You are frustrated at our current football but what I was trying to say (obviously very badly, I wish I was more articulate) was that to cover our current injuries with like for like standard of players using loans etc we would need a squad of about 35 players (who all need paying, injured or not).

The club simply does not have that kind of resource available.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have done well considering the start we have had,that was terrible and could of kept us at the bottom all season.but they did well and battled back to a reasonable position.

the only reason people keep expecting us to be challenging for the playoffs...is because the manager keeps coming out and saying there still there for the taking.if the manager came out and said well,thats it for this season,we have done well to get where we are,but now the injurys are decimating us and we cant justify spending transfer money on stopgap signings,we shall regroup at the end of the season assess our positions and have a proper go next season.

then fans would say.well at least hes honest,and in a way right.but if he did he would get abuse on here of not trying with 7 games left and only 4 points off a playoff spot,plus the club has to keep season ticket holders on side or they wont renew.

I agree with you Ed but you must read some of the threads and posts on here calling for promotion this season, atall costs regardless of what they are, also some say we must do it playing highly entertaing, passing free flowing football of a very high standard or we have failed utterly and totally.

You are frustrated at our current football but what I was trying to say (obviously very badly, I wish I was more articulate) was that to cover our current injuries with like for like standard of players using loans etc we would need a squad of about 35 players (who all need paying, injured or not).

The club simply does not have that kind of resource available.

Certainly doesnt. But it does have a youth system which constantly churns out players of a decent standard who on their day can be very good players. Why bring and pay for a kid from Wednesday when we've got one of our own sat on the bench who must be wondering when he'll ever get his chance.

We have a bunch of players, injuries or not. Who can play simple football - if they wanted to. Anyone can play simple football, be it from park level to the very top. So long as you do the basics, you shouldnt be doing much wrong at the level you're at. Yet week in, week out they over complicate moves. Which Shez has noted and instead of doing something, seemingly just talks about it. Tactics of lumping it up to Leon who when he jumps shrinks 3 foot, or playing it out wide constantly and hoping Smalley or Taylor can do something with it - the latter usually to a hail of abuse no matter what he does. Key point for me yesterday was when we had the ball in centre midfield and instead of carrying it forward, they stopped and looked absolutely clueless with what to do with it seeing as there was no option to play it out wide. Injuries or not. This club is clearly lacking an attacking creative midfielder and without one - we'll have no option but to play that boring football which for us isnt very effective.

You know what I am going to say, we are a crappy northern little team, always have been but we got lucky had a few good years that gave our fans delusions of grandeur. Since then we have been on the slide with a few good blips.

The football this season is no better or no worse than it has ever been. Heres a random selection of players that I can remember from my times watching latics - Rickers, McNiven, Allot first time, Glenn Keeley, Tipton, Whats his face Currie, Mike Cecere, Darren McDonagh, Big fat Donachie, a past it Kilcline, Chris Makin - (I will come back to him) Carl Serrant, Gerry Creaney, Paul Molden, Neil McDonald, Wayne Gill, Matty Appleby, Mark Arber, Tore Pederson, John Kelly, Lance Key.

Hardly a list of the greatest players to grace a pitch. Why has it become so fashionable for people to suddenly say that enough is enough? Why now? Why not when it was really bad? And if it is so bad why the need to write at length on the internet that the straw has been broken and either you aren't renewing, or coming again, or going to call your first born after the 1987 side? Why not just sidle off in to the non-attending masses and make ethusiastic harumphs whenever someone at work or in the pub mentions football. - No one is really that interested, Hardy and TTAs will simply look at the balance sheet come June and say to the manager that he can bring 3 players in and not the 5 he was promised earlier.

Why the need to look for a massive conspiracy that Shez has lost the dressing room or that one of the players doesn't "respect" the manager or whatever.

Where were the "He can't attract players" calls when we were down to 10 fit pros under Moore before he gave Taylor his debut? I don't remember that one, we were crying out for him to look at the youth rather than bring in another wage. Were we too busy beating Moore with other sticks about his off the field womanising or his latest tart dumping his belongings at Chapel Rd as she was kicking him out as she was fed up of him. - Do we jsut enjoy slagging managers off? We successfuly got rid of Talbot and Moore now do we think that unless we get instant success we should flex our muscles and get rid of the manager?

The can't get players line has been through enough times, the 3 candidates for player of the season are all Sheridan buys add Gregan, Davies, Macca, Clarke and his goals that helped get us in to the play-offs last season..

This year was never going to be as successful as last season, the majority of two year contracts signed by Moore left and had to be replaced, next season is the equivalent of last season as the players will have had a full year together and a summer. Of the team that started today only 3 started the first game of the season, in one way we have been lucky with the injuries this year as it means the bulk of the side that starts next season will be pretty settled from this year, the spine of Crossley, Hazell, Allot, Hughes will be.

Now it seems fashionable to berate Shez over his innability to keep physios, one got a better job offer and the other decided it wasn't for him, what should the club do? Go to the hospital and ask a couple up there whether they fancy working Saturdays and the odd Tuesday with a few hours mid week treating injured footie players? In any other business if a position was vacated twice in quick succession they would revise their selection process to make sure that their next appointment was the right man and stayed in post for a longer period. Nah, sod it, get any old person in, as long as they can do Thai massage then everyones happy.

For me it isn't all doom and gloom this year, the sunshine and light comes from the young lads that have come through and at times done mans jobs even though they have had the precitable dips too. I said I would come back to Chris Makin, a lad who came through the ranks in to the first team at a time when we were :censored:. The crowd got on his back and he was a target for the boo boys. When his contract was to be renewed he "did a Porter" and signed on a free for Marseille and we got nowt, he did quite well out of it, signing on fee, decent wage and a free appartment overlooking the harbour. He came back to England after his season abroad and has played the rest of his career at a higher level than us. A player that for many in our crowd wasn't good enough to wear the shirt has been good enough to play higher than we have for over 10 years:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=4751

I mention Makin as there are a few lads in our current side that I can see this happening to, the stick they get from the "fans" is unbelievable and if I was them I wouldn't sign another contract at Oldham either, in fact I would do a Porter and :censored: us right over. Then they will get called Judas..etc..etc.. but can you honestly blame them? I bet like Makin they enjoy the rest of their career and the appartment over looking the harbour rather than getting dogs abuse at BP.

I was jealous of the Milwall fans today, those were some of the best fans we have had at BP for a while, they sang and all stood together the "No one likes us..." and the "ooooohh" that went on for ages and the ":censored: ground no fans" or "You're supposed to be at home/give a :censored:" were top draw as they were so right. This coming from a club that has yo-yoed between this league and the championship plus got to a cup final, a bit similar to ourselves. They don't give a :censored: what league they are in or whether they are playing fancy football or if the manager tucks the players in at night with a cup of cocoa they just wanted the team to win they pootle off back down the road with the points.

What did our fans do? Sit on arses and do cock all, there were about 2 songs but hundreds of "ffs taylor, get to the line" - sometimes when the ball was on the other side of the pitch! Or the "Bloody hell Eardley" yet were happy to over look when Stam drops his :censored: or Lomax has his first bad game by his good standards. I bet Constantine will aks Kilkenny if he is talking about the same set of fans when he gets back to Leeds.

Well, I don't expect anyone to have read this, it is all nonsense, Shez out, I am not renewing next season, it is garbage, sort it out, bloody hell eardley. baaaa baaaa

Spot on, great post. Should really be its own thread methinks.

'I was jealous of the Milwall fans today, those were some of the best fans we have had at BP for a while, they sang and all stood together the "No one likes us..." and the "ooooohh" that went on for ages and the ":censored: ground no fans" or "You're supposed to be at home/give a :censored:" were top draw as they were so right. This coming from a club that has yo-yoed between this league and the championship plus got to a cup final, a bit similar to ourselves. They don't give a :censored: what league they are in or whether they are playing fancy football or if the manager tucks the players in at night with a cup of cocoa they just wanted the team to win they pootle off back down the road with the points'

The best paragraph I have read on a footy site. Millwall fans were superb - outnumbered 20-1 and showed just how passionate they are. They get a rough press but is there a more passionate set of fans in the entire football league? I don't think so. Our supporters are just embarrassing.

KOTK

'I was jealous of the Milwall fans today, those were some of the best fans we have had at BP for a while, they sang and all stood together the "No one likes us..." and the "ooooohh" that went on for ages and the ":censored: ground no fans" or "You're supposed to be at home/give a :censored:" were top draw as they were so right. This coming from a club that has yo-yoed between this league and the championship plus got to a cup final, a bit similar to ourselves. They don't give a :censored: what league they are in or whether they are playing fancy football or if the manager tucks the players in at night with a cup of cocoa they just wanted the team to win they pootle off back down the road with the points'

The best paragraph I have read on a footy site. Millwall fans were superb - outnumbered 20-1 and showed just how passionate they are. They get a rough press but is there a more passionate set of fans in the entire football league? I don't think so. Our supporters are just embarrassing.

KOTK

The same fans who allegedly have chanted the name of triple police murderer Harry Roberts.

Jealous of them I'm not.

KOTK

To be fair you don't get moaners travelling 200miles for a nothing game...These are the die hards and you don't expect anything else. They'll have their fair share of moaners at the New Den just like everybody else.

Where were the "He can't attract players" calls when we were down to 10 fit pros under Moore before he gave Taylor his debut? I don't remember that one, we were crying out for him to look at the youth rather than bring in another wage. Were we too busy beating Moore with other sticks about his off the field womanising or his latest tart dumping his belongings at Chapel Rd as she was kicking him out as she was fed up of him. - Do we jsut enjoy slagging managers off? We successfuly got rid of Talbot and Moore now do we think that unless we get instant success we should flex our muscles and get rid of the manager?

:grin:

I was jealous of the Milwall fans today, those were some of the best fans we have had at BP for a while, they sang and all stood together the "No one likes us..." and the "ooooohh" that went on for ages and the ":censored: ground no fans" or "You're supposed to be at home/give a :censored:" were top draw as they were so right. This coming from a club that has yo-yoed between this league and the championship plus got to a cup final, a bit similar to ourselves. They don't give a :censored: what league they are in or whether they are playing fancy football or if the manager tucks the players in at night with a cup of cocoa they just wanted the team to win they pootle off back down the road with the points.

I see what you're saying there....but to be fair, we've done similar on our travels too. Which is why most prefer away games at times coz of the atmosphere. And they were doing it with 200 from 9000-ish whereas we do it from considerably less. Also, many were calling for Donachies head and got it on a plate earlier this season. Having got a decent manager in Jackett in and moving away from the mire down below, they're well on their uppers and thankful. But i know what you mean by your points above, just wanted to add that.

Whilst Millwall are thankful at present, those who overexpected with us are completely the opposite and feel badly let down. I was called negative last July for saying top 10 was success for this season. Still would be and I still maintain, Shez does plenty wrong in my eyes but he still can take us forward. It's how much his limitations will stop him for doing so with us. Where he hits the ceiling......The day I feel he hits it is the day I stand aside those wanting him out. That's a way off yet. It probably is for most realists and happy clappers :grin:

thats not what season ticket holders were told by the owners of the club or the manager and his team.

we was told without a shadow of a doubt that promotion was the aim from the off,and anything else would be classed as a failure.

hence why there is so much resentment at bp regarding performances by the players and the manager.

the odd 30 regular posters on this board cant influence anything really regarding how the club is run(no disrespect meant here),but 2k season ticket holders not renewing because of broken promises and lack of progress can.

if anybody still thinks were in a wrong division and we deserve to be in a higher one,then yeah,there deluded,we been here for over 10 years,anybody who cant see that for what it is shouldnt be watching up play.

Can we really survive in the Championship? It's a similar situation to us going into the old 1st division when we did. We don't get the crowds to support a Championship side. Most of them are getting around 20,000. Our redevloped gtound will only hold around 16,000, and we would probablt attract an average of 9,000 at best, and that's because some away teams would be bringing 3000+. To be absolutely honest I think that this division is the best we can hope for, with the odd excursion into the Championship followed a season or two later with relegation. We simply cannot compete in signing players at that level. We struggle where we are now. I don't like to admit it, but that's how it is.

Can we really survive in the Championship? It's a similar situation to us going into the old 1st division when we did. We don't get the crowds to support a Championship side. Most of them are getting around 20,000. Our redevloped gtound will only hold around 16,000, and we would probablt attract an average of 9,000 at best, and that's because some away teams would be bringing 3000+. To be absolutely honest I think that this division is the best we can hope for, with the odd excursion into the Championship followed a season or two later with relegation. We simply cannot compete in signing players at that level. We struggle where we are now. I don't like to admit it, but that's how it is.

Have you tried the Samaritans?

Ronald McDonald doesn't say that his burgers are made from hoofs and arses does he? He says they are made from the finest beef and ingredients. Mr Walls doesn't say he makes his sausages from the bits left over from the pig that no one else wants, he says they are made from an old Lincolnshire recipe and we lap them up knowing they are really made from snouts and pigs feet.

Mr Ronseal states that his products do exactly what it says on the tin, so on Saturday afternoon I decided I would watch his paint dry instead of watching the grass grow at Latics. Lo & behold it was the best entertainment I have had all season.

Edited by Latics4lifenotjustxmas

Ronald McDonald doesn't say that his burgers are made from hoofs and arses does he? He says they are made from the finest beef and ingredients. Mr Walls doesn't say he makes his sausages from the bits left over from the pig that no one else wants, he says they are made from an old Lincolnshire recipe and we lap them up knowing they are really made from snouts and pigs feet.

Mr Ronseal states that his products do exactly what it says on the tin, so on Saturday afternoon I decided I would watch his paint dry instead of watching the grass grow at Latics. Lo & behold it was the best entertainment I have had all season.

Is that so? Oh well....makes an arse out of your username then, doesn't it! :grin:

Your spot on rocky... people see things from a blinkered perspective who are happy with any sort of performance week in week out... thats the problem with Latics as a club and latics fans as generall we are too happy to sit back and accept the performances we get... If we carry on like we are we will sill be in this league for the next 10 yrs...

One of the best threads on this board for a longtime.

I wonder whether some of the frustration with this season comes from the fact that for my money, this season is one of the weakest League One's for a number of years and we have failed to take advantage.

The Dowie team or Shez's side from last year would have been in contention for automatic - and its frustrating that its coincided with a year where we have not recovered from losing 2 of our more influential players (Wellens and Porter), not managed to retain some good loan players for the duration (Killkenny) and have suffered a large number of injuries.

With hindsight could Sheriden have made different decisions re: signings (cover for Crossley etc)? Of course. Name me a manager that couldn't?

Sheriden is still an inexperienced manager and I definitely vote for giving him time. I for one would give him all of next season, and even the one after as well. We have chopped and changed managers a lot over recent times to no avail and the general concencus is that managers need time to get a team working correctly. Besides who do we think we are going to get instead?

The football on offer is by no means the worst I have watched at Latics, and at least it seems as though the intent is to play attractive football for the most part even if it doesn't always come off. It was a chore to watch Latics under Moore - I don't mind it under Shez (1st on Saturday was dire, but at least it improved 2nd half).

The concern for me is attendances and what the TTA will do about Shez if we see a similar ST sale rate as we did when Moore was here. I personally struggle to comprehend the attendances recently - <4000 for a home game? We've had much worse teams that were scrapping for their Divison 2 (at the time) lives and had better attendances. What do people expect?

With stadium development there is potential that over the next 10 years a platform could be built for a club to have a secure financial footing so that promotion to the Championship would be sustainable. But the level of support for the club at the momenbt must make TTA think seriously about how much to spend on this club long term.

Shez in.

One of the best threads on this board for a longtime.

I wonder whether some of the frustration with this season comes from the fact that for my money, this season is one of the weakest League One's for a number of years and we have failed to take advantage.

The Dowie team or Shez's side from last year would have been in contention for automatic - and its frustrating that its coincided with a year where we have not recovered from losing 2 of our more influential players (Wellens and Porter), not managed to retain some good loan players for the duration (Killkenny) and have suffered a large number of injuries.

With hindsight could Sheriden have made different decisions re: signings (cover for Crossley etc)? Of course. Name me a manager that couldn't?

Sheriden is still an inexperienced manager and I definitely vote for giving him time. I for one would give him all of next season, and even the one after as well. We have chopped and changed managers a lot over recent times to no avail and the general concencus is that managers need time to get a team working correctly. Besides who do we think we are going to get instead?

The football on offer is by no means the worst I have watched at Latics, and at least it seems as though the intent is to play attractive football for the most part even if it doesn't always come off. It was a chore to watch Latics under Moore - I don't mind it under Shez (1st on Saturday was dire, but at least it improved 2nd half).

The concern for me is attendances and what the TTA will do about Shez if we see a similar ST sale rate as we did when Moore was here. I personally struggle to comprehend the attendances recently - <4000 for a home game? We've had much worse teams that were scrapping for their Divison 2 (at the time) lives and had better attendances. What do people expect?

With stadium development there is potential that over the next 10 years a platform could be built for a club to have a secure financial footing so that promotion to the Championship would be sustainable. But the level of support for the club at the momenbt must make TTA think seriously about how much to spend on this club long term.

Shez in.

Shez is running the playing the side from the back of a fag packet.

Obvious lack of man management, Tactically poor, arrogant, no contacts, Players have lack of respect for him. end of

GET SHUT ASAP PLEASE

It's the cumulative effect of all the years in this division and two botched attempts at promotion, the chances of which do not come along all that often, combined with a dawning realisation that, coming as they did at the worst possible time, with all the money concentrated in the divisions above us, these years have seen us shrink in stature as a club, making it highly unlikely that we will ever rise again. Quite simply, many people appear to have lost the faith. It is not entirely the fault of the club. The greed now prevalent in the game has pretty much ruined it, and it's just that, our decline coming when it did makes us a particularly acute example of what happens to small(ish) clubs when everything comes down to who has the most money.

This mood could be increasingly sensed over the past few years, and the idea that replacing Moore with the unproven Sheridan would somehow break this cycle of decline and resulting loss of faith was naive. Perhaps those calling the shots at the club do in fact spend too much time reading boards like this and are under the impression that the views of those amongst the Oldham public who still care to some degree about their hometown club are in any way reflected by the online optimists.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Shez is running the playing the side from the back of a fag packet.

Obvious lack of man management, Tactically poor, arrogant, no contacts, Players have lack of respect for him. end of

GET SHUT ASAP PLEASE

What do you base these assumptions/facts on.

How can you know he has no contacts in the game and that his man management is poor.

What real evidence have you to support the players lack of respect.

As far as arrogance goes there's no one more so than a certain Alex Ferguson and look how successful he's been over the last few years!!!

If it's your opinion then fair enough, but you talk as though it is all fact!!!

The low attendances is down to one simple factor. Expectation vs Results.

Travelling to/from Donny yesterday, my mate made a simple but I think valid point. There would be no shortage of applicants for the manager's post, but with the players we've had available to us this season (particularly recently as injuries have taken their toll), an awful lot of those managers would have guided us into another relegation scrap.

Yes, League One as a whole has been poor this season (a bit worrying, with pundits saying similar things about the Championship too). And yes, our season has been a bit of a disappointment with one or two highs (Everton obviously, Leeds away, some glimpses of great potential from our youngsters). And yes, you have to start thinking there's something more than just bad luck with the injury list we have right now.

But I am still convinced we should take the risk of putting our long term faith in Sheridan, rather than taking the same risk we've taken far too often in recent years by getting shut and starting afresh ... AGAIN. (A policy which has got us close to relegation as often as it has promotion).

It's the cumulative effect of all the years in this divsion and two botched attempts at promotion, the chances of which do not come along all that often, combined with a dawning realisation that, coming as they did at the worst possible time, with all the money concentrated in the divisons above us, these years have seen us shrink in stature as a club, making it highly unlikely that we will ever rise again. Quite simply, many people appear to have lost the faith. It is not entirely the fault of the club. The greed now prevelant in the game has pretty much ruined it, and it's just that, our decline coming when it did makes us a particularly acute example of what happens to small(ish) clubs when everything comes down to who has the most money.

This mood could be increasingly sensed over the past few years, and the idea that replacing Moore with the unproven Sheridan would somehow break this cycle of decline and resulting loss of faith was naive. Perhaps those calling the shots at the club do in fact spend too much time reading boards like this and are under the impression that the views of those amongst the Oldham public who still care to some degree about their hometown club are in any way reflected by the online optimists .

This may surprise you Corporal, but I agree with an awful lot of that. I think you have the current plight of the game as a whole - and how that affects clubs like Oldham - absolutely spot on.

This may surprise you Corporal, but I agree with an awful lot of that. I think you have the current plight of the game as a whole - and how that affects clubs like Oldham - absolutely spot on.

Since the early-mid 1990s football has been made over-exposed, uncompetitive, predictable and, quite frankly, utterly boring.

Since the early-mid 1990s football has been made over-exposed, uncompetitive, predictable and, quite frankly, utterly boring.

since starting my new job, i work most weekends and when im not at work i come to BP, the last few performances might have been poor, but in my opinion we havnt seen much decent football since dowie left.....so im sorry guys shezza out.................this is soley my opinion and dont wish to upset any1