The Sunday People

In the hotline section, it says we are ready to cash in on taylor and eardley if the right offers come along.

Now i know its only paper talk but, with the right money, would you sell both/one/none?

IF all/most of the money was to be put back into re-building the squad id be tempted.

thoughts please?

KTF

In the hotline section, it says we are ready to cash in on taylor and eardley if the right offers come along.

Now i know its only paper talk but, with the right money, would you sell both/one/none?

IF all/most of the money was to be put back into re-building the squad id be tempted.

thoughts please?

KTF

Sell both, if we get offers of over 250k each.

Eardley is going nowhere for less than 400 k ! :wink:

been saying this for ages...... that is the one and only reason why he is the skipper! to inflate his price

taylor?? well not sure about this one!

would/could he be any better with a regular run on the right? i'd hate to see him flourish AFTER selling him... but money is money i guess

i would keep them both, until we stop selling our better players we will forever remain in this league

pretty much agree with that pal...

but unfortunately money talks and TTA are owed big time! once the ground itself starts making a few ££ then maybe, but until that day comes i think they will see the likes of eardley and taylor as very saleable assets

Guest M_OAFC

I'd cash in on Eardley. Not because I think he's a bad player but because I don't think we'd be any worse off with Lomax or Hazell there. If he went we would still be left with enough cover and no real detriment in quality so if we get a decent offer I'd take it.

Taylor I would prefer to keep as I think he is comfortbaly the best right winger we have at present. However the manager seems hell bent on not playing him there and if the choice was keep him but he has to play on the left or else cash in then I'd choose cash in as I think he's pretty average on the left and if you get offered good money for an average player you take it don't you.

The one I really would have fought hard to keep is Trotman. Centre backs with his height, strength and dominance in the air are not abundant in this division but they can be found. However centre backs with all that AND the pace Trotman had to go with it are very hard to replace at this level.

I'd cash in on Eardley. Not because I think he's a bad player but because I don't think we'd be any worse off with Lomax or Hazell there. If he went we would still be left with enough cover and no real detriment in quality so if we get a decent offer I'd take it.

Ah.. the longstanding sell Eardley arguement rears its head again....

If anyone is silly enough to come in with an offer for £500k+ snatch thier hand off for it... as is said above, it is the most replaceable position at this level - players who can 'do a job' at full back are ten-a-penny down here... hazell is a good example - thrown on to the lower division unwanted merry-go-round and look at the job he is doing for us now???

Far better cashing in on eardley - filling the role with Lomax - or a.n.other journeyman lower division pro - and investing the money on a bit of skill that will actually get us out of this god-forsaken league.... for that you need to invest on your midfield and forwards, and just get functional defenders - ie. hazell, who are more than suffiecient at this level....

As for Taylor - to be perfectly honest I cant see anyone coming in for him in a million years... he will be at Oldham for a long time.. and to be honest, cant see him developing much as a plyer for now, bar getting a bit of experience.... a move would be good for him, but we wont sell him for less than £500k, and no-one will pay that for him....

personally - i would let em both go - but certainly not for £250k, Taylor is a complete waste of shirt at left-sided midfield and unless Shez changes his stance on this it is going to remain so - as for the best right sided midfielder in the club -that is still Lidell and stil the best crosser of the ball we have - if it was a choice between the two lids every time, any a bit irrelevant this is where at mo Taylor should be playing but dont think Shez want him there for whatever reason so i would let him go

I agree with M OAFC regrding Eardley as HAzell or lomaz could do a job there - pref LOmax with HAzell in middle, but again not for anything less than £500k minimum so IMHO would not miss either

personally - i would let em both go - but certainly not for £250k, Taylor is a complete waste of shirt at left-sided midfield and unless Shez changes his stance on this it is going to remain so - as for the best right sided midfielder in the club -that is still Lidell and stil the best crosser of the ball we have - if it was a choice between the two lids every time, any a bit irrelevant this is where at mo Taylor should be playing but dont think Shez want him there for whatever reason so i would let him go

I agree with M OAFC regrding Eardley as HAzell or lomaz could do a job there - pref LOmax with HAzell in middle, but again not for anything less than £500k minimum so IMHO would not miss either

why take the risk replacing eardley with lomax? we could end up with a right duffer at left back, and then be back to square one.

yep eardley can go for me. is ok at gettin in blocks and going past people but his positional sense and distribution are woeful. He looked really promising last year but i think the captain and wales thing as made him think he is better than he is, i rate lomax over eardley at RB.

Taylor should be kept but only if played on the right, he is right footed and is clearly wasted on the left, but with smalley coming through im not sure what shez will do - hopefully see sense and get a couple of left sided players in at LB and LW (how a professional manager can go into a season wihout any left sided player is just ludicrous!) dump liddell and go with smalley and Taylor as RW options.

I think Taylor would show his true worth if played in position but (although im not an outer) it appears mr shez knows best! (some of the simple postional decisions with players he makes just defy logic in my opinion).

Dont know why either him or tommy dont sit in the directors box at games and watch the game from there and make notes/use a headset they'd get a far better view of how we see things - but they like to shout at the players every 2 seconds so thats that one out of the window as well!

why take the risk replacing eardley with lomax? we could end up with a right duffer at left back, and then be back to square one.

Spot on! Decent, promising youngsters. I wonder if the people saying "sell, sell, sell!" are the same ones who desperately wanted Porter to stay.....or were they happy to cash in on him also.....or are they the same people who bemoan journeymen coming here or simply players playing without love for the club? Eards and Taylor are Latics through and through (with a hint of Liverpool for Eards) and unless we get a silly offer we simply can't refuse (over 500k) it'd be sheer madness to sell.

PS Those crying about Eardley's passing....it's been seen loads of times this season that his passing far better when he has a RW infront to find.....see Shez on that score please!

Football is all about opinions isn't it? But I can't understand why so many fans seem so keen to let two more of our good, developing players go. We let Trotters go and I could understand the reasoning behind the decision, even though I thought we should have kept him. For my money, Taylor is one of our best players, in skill, effort, attitude and potential. We need to keep players like that if we really have any ambition. Eardley is probably easier to replace without signing anyone, but I still think an ambitious club would try to keep him. Taylor, Eardley, Allessandra ans Smalley should all continue to improve, AND THAT SHOULD BE WITH US.

Spot on! Decent, promising youngsters. I wonder if the people saying "sell, sell, sell!" are the same ones who desperately wanted Porter to stay.....or were they happy to cash in on him also.....or are they the same people who bemoan journeymen coming here or simply players playing without love for the club? Eards and Taylor are Latics through and through (with a hint of Liverpool for Eards) and unless we get a silly offer we simply can't refuse (over 500k) it'd be sheer madness to sell.

PS Those crying about Eardley's passing....it's been seen loads of times this season that his passing far better when he has a RW infront to find.....see Shez on that score please!

nail, head hit...

Eardley is the most over-rated player we've had at this club for donkeys years. One good cross in every twenty five attempts. The other twenty four go, one intercepted, twenty three hit ridiculously long. Poor distribution in open play, shiite positional play and a lack of pace coupled with an unfailing ability to get caught out of position. For me, he could go as a free, so if there's only half a chance we might get £40k for him.....FFS let him go!! Lomax, while not the finished article is at the very least a much better bet.

Edited by otid

Eardley is the most over-rated player we've had at this club for donkeys years. One good cross in every twenty five attempts. The other twenty four go, one intercepted, twenty three hit ridiculously long. Poor distribution in open play, shiite positional play and a lack of pace coupled with an unfailing ability to get caught out of position. For me, he could go as a free, so if there's only half a chance we might get £40k for him.....FFS let him go!! Lomax, while not the finished article is at the very least a much better bet.

Well simply put, if you think our RB should be the one crossing in the ball instead of the RW, then somethings very wrong! Defensively, Eardley, for his age is very sound. If you think Eardley is so bad, god knows what you think of the rest of the players!

Well simply put, if you think our RB should be the one crossing in the ball instead of the RW, then somethings very wrong! Defensively, Eardley, for his age is very sound. If you think Eardley is so bad, god knows what you think of the rest of the players!

To be honest BB, not a lot. You make a fair point. In comparison, he ain't all that bad....the problem being that he is lauded as a 'star' whereas the rest are ignored by the national press (quite rightly) and to a lesser extent our own fans. We've got an average squad this year that despite being handpicked, and seemingly able to over perform on occasions, can't deliver any semblance of consistency. I can accept that Eardley has had some decent games....but they are few and far between in my opinion and Lomax has certainly done more in his limited opportunities this year to suggest that if we were to receive any half decent offer for the Managers favourite, we should accept.

Guest M_OAFC
I wonder if the people saying "sell, sell, sell!" are the same ones who desperately wanted Porter to stay.....or were they happy to cash in on him also........unless we get a silly offer it'd be sheer madness to sell.

Those crying about Eardley's passing....it's been seen loads of times this season that his passing far better when he has a RW infront to find.....see Shez on that score please!

I wanted us to cash in on Porter as well. I just thought he was a bit too weak for a target man. Too many attacks broke down through him getting muscled out when trying to hold the ball up and whilst his heading at goal was good he never seemed to win much in the air in any other situation. His ability to constantly be offside when it was totally unnecessary was also infuriating. Not a bad player by any means but I just thought the kind of transfer fee being talked about would have allowed us to meet the wage demands of a better target man. Having said that I had assumed at the time that we would at least attempt to sign another target man...............which we haven't! And Porter was a hell of a lot better than nothing. I also didn't realise of course that we would lose him for nothing!

Why would it be sheer madness to sell Eardley though? I can see how selling Taylor (if he were playing on the right) would constitute a lack of ambition and my preference would be to keep him and play him on the right but I don't see selling Eardley that way. I suppose it boils down to how highly you rate Eardley and if you think he's our best right back then I suppose what I've just said about Taylor applies to him as well and rightly so. It's just that I'd pick both Lomax and Hazell ahead of him and I don't think we need 3 right backs so to me it's just a case of cashing in on somebody we don't need.

I agree with you about him playing better with a winger in front of him though.

We can debate all day about these two players and we all have our own opinions.

Taylor is a very good player at this level, and Oldham through and through, however, it has been said a million times that he should be playing on the right and I think constantly playing him on the left has held back his progress.

I cannot believe after all this time that we still have no natural left footer at he club.

If we'd stuck him on the right when Liddell got injured I feel we could have been looking at a £1m+ player now, the guy was on fire on the right when he came into the side and it seems like such a waste of a talent.

Eardley gets some unwarranted stick on this site as first and foremost he's a defender and a bloody good one at that, who's still learning his trade. He's had no right winger in front of him nearly all season and thus no outlet to release the ball to....when Liddell played there at the begining of the season he was a different player.

Out of the two we could probably afford to lose Eardley, as Lomax, I feel, has just as much potential, however you don't get promotion by constantly selling your best young players.

There's no way Liddell ( at his age ) is going to come back the same player after a serious injury and such a long layoff, and to keep him, and sell your promising youngsters, is not the way forward.

As far as fees go you've got to be looking at upwards of £500k each before I would consider selling.

simple really sell them both for a good price and if, and that is a big IF, we reinvest the money back into the team. Otherwise, what is the point in selling them if it is done just to keep tta happy for another year.

What? like the club has done with the Trotman money!!!