ricketts out of job again

ricketts San Jose Head Coach Frank Yallop, a man desperate for a striker, said he was terminating the trial of former US hearthrob Michael Ricketts.

Michael Ricketts Hits Bottom

Posted Today at 07:25 AM by Bill Archer

Updated Today at 07:48 AM by Bill Archer

Last Thursday, in a little-noticed announcement, San Jose Head Coach Frank Yallop, a man desperate for a striker, said he was terminating the trial of former US hearthrob Michael Ricketts.

AS DANNY NOTED A FEW WEEKS AGO Ricketts, who at one time was the subject of so much slobbering BigSoccer manlove that the servers almost caught fire, was in the US making the rounds of MLS teams who were scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for someone who could find the net once in a while.

His departure from the Earthquakes camp may finally put "finis" to the long, strange saga of a guy who once had the whole world at his feet.

Back in early 2002, England played Holland in a World Cup tuneup and Ricketts, playing for Sam Allardyce at Bolten, had already racked up 15 goals on the season, had just signed a £15,000 a week contract and Sven-Goran Ericksson inserted him into a starting lineup which looked like this:

Martyn, G Neville, Ferdinand, Campbell, Bridge; Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes; Heskey, Ricketts, Vassell.

Every other player made the roster for the World Cup. Ricketts lasted 45 minutes and never wore the England shirt again. He bounced from Bolten to Middlesbrough (who spent £3 million for him) to Leeds to Stoke City to Cardiff City to Burnley to Southend United to Preston North End to Oldham Athletic, who loaned him to Walsall last November and then canceled his contract.

ALLARDYCE NOW WARNS PLAYERS: DON'T BE ANOTHER MICHAEL RICKETTS ricketts a bad player

And he won't turn 30 until later this year.

Taken from http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2590022.ece

"You know, I saw a player play once for England, and he is now playing at Oldham Athletic. He’s called Michael Ricketts. It affected him that badly. He let himself get carried away by the situation, and his career ended up declining.â€

What affected him badly? Playing for England or playing for Oldham?

And whats the beef with Bolten? Mind you, I couldn't really care less about Bolten. Shame we can't play them next year in the Champ, ah well, maybe Season 2009/2010 they can play us in L1

Edited by PointonsTache

Taken from http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2590022.ece

"You know, I saw a player play once for England, and he is now playing at Oldham Athletic. He’s called Michael Ricketts. It affected him that badly. He let himself get carried away by the situation, and his career ended up declining.â€

What affected him badly? Playing for England or playing for Oldham?

And whats the beef with Bolten? Mind you, I couldn't really care less about Bolten. Shame we can't play them next year in the Champ, ah well, maybe Season 2009/2010 they can play us in L1

Don't you mean we'll play THEM in the CHAMP !! :grin:

There were quite a few posters who couldn't understand why Ricketts was given such a long contract in the first place - Give a promising youngster a decent contract on low money, yes. Give a cocky waster who has been slung on the crapheap a few times a decent contract on good money, NO NO NO!

BUT, as was done to death at the time, there were clauses in that long term contract. BIG clauses. Hence, although he was reportedly on a 3 year deal, it cost us nowt to offload him when we did.

Indeed Garcon, it was confirmed by SC at the forum that the contract was reported as being 3 years, but in reality it was only ever 6 months with extension which could be triggered by the club.

Indeed Garcon, it was confirmed by SC at the forum that the contract was reported as being 3 years, but in reality it was only ever 6 months with extension which could be triggered by the club.

Burger King's contracts are less complex. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for a second-hand Bentley. One owner, ex-England and Oldham footballer. Too fat, lazy and arrogant for professional football.

Burger King's contracts are less complex. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for a second-hand Bentley. One owner, ex-England and Oldham footballer. Too fat, lazy and arrogant for professional football.

He'll probably end up as an agent. After all, he'll have had plenty of experience in getting those big fat signing-on fees.

Or he'll end up at Walsall again.

If only! :grin:

And I've just noticed that my profile now says 'Brian Talbot'! Oh the humiliation

Yeah, there was no way I was suffering that humliation longer than I had to, so I started off a topic of my own and posted 25 times on it, just to change the rating. It was like being cleansed! I highly recommend it! :grin:

Yeah, there was no way I was suffering that humliation longer than I had to, so I started off a topic of my own and posted 25 times on it, just to change the rating. It was like being cleansed! I highly recommend it! :grin:

Members are reminded that post counts can go down as well as up
:naughty:

To everybody on here who slated Shez when getting rid....I think that finally vindicates most of the posters on here were right.....HE IS CRAP!!!!

My only complaint was that we never replaced Ricketts when he was offloaded. Looks like he is a big time Charlie but he probably couldnt care less when he takes a quick look at his bank account !