Student ST's?!

Why is there no student season ticket? I know there are 'Intermediary' tickets but i'm 21 and still at uni and fairly broke, why can't there be tickets aimed at people in full time education. The vast majority or uni students will be there at least until they are 21, so surely this should be changed. £300+ is alot of money for me when all i get is basic maintenance loan and I have to pay £845 rent in june already, i'm sure alot of others are in the same boat....

Its a joke. If your over 21 and a student you have to pay full price. I dont know what makes em think a student under 21 has less money than a student over 21

It's not just over 21 from what I can tell, it's over 19!!!!! More than likely we have less money than those just starting uni, we're gettin raped.

It's not just over 21 from what I can tell, it's over 19!!!!! More than likely we have less money than those just starting uni, we're gettin raped.

Idiot.

If you're a student, I think whatever age, you can apply for a student membership. It costs £13 and whilst you can't get an ST, you pay concessionary rates on the gate, so I guess that works out at a max of £230, though probably less on the assumption that you'll miss at least one home game.

If you're a student, I think whatever age, you can apply for a student membership. It costs £13 and whilst you can't get an ST, you pay concessionary rates on the gate, so I guess that works out at a max of £230, though probably less on the assumption that you'll miss at least one home game.

And no priority booking for cup ties, away games and play-offs!

Exactly, and that's why I will be paying the £300+ because I don't want to miss out on any play off games/cup games which many did against Blackpool last year.

Idiot.

Oh real, you are my little gentlemen, i'd take you down to merry london town.................. :wub:

Why is there no student season ticket? I know there are 'Intermediary' tickets but i'm 21 and still at uni and fairly broke, why can't there be tickets aimed at people in full time education. The vast majority or uni students will be there at least until they are 21, so surely this should be changed. £300+ is alot of money for me when all i get is basic maintenance loan and I have to pay £845 rent in june already, i'm sure alot of others are in the same boat....

Because it is impossoible to police and too many have abused it in the past.

Get a part time job - I did when doing my A levels.

The other plus point, other than affording your ST, is that it will save you from getting pissed all night and you will be out of bed before Granada Reports starts.

Tax dodgers!

KtF,

Derek.

Because it is impossoible to police and too many have abused it in the past.

That may be so, but the majority of L1 clubs do offer concessionary season ticket to full-time students. Perhaps there isn't too much demand from students, as Oldham isn't a student town in the way many larger cities are? If the same documentary proof for genuine student status is used for ST as for student concessionary scheme, you can cut abuse substantially. I'm sure if enough noise is made to the club from existing and future students - who will hopefully become the backbone support for years to come, it will be seriously considered and perhaps made available in future years.

Why doesn't someone write to AH and ask for the board's views?

You have to be under 21 for a student membership.

I was wondering how it would be abused but thinking about it I know plenty of mates who are students who presumably could get a discounted st on my behalf saving me megabucks but costing the club. I can understand why the club don't operate such a scheme really, at the end of the day we are losing money and I can imagine the negatives outweigh the positives.

In fairness it's never a problem to get tickets. Those who really want tickets will always get them, be it through the club or when someone posts on here offering a spare ticket for someone who suddenly can't go etc. Even Blackpool ultimately didn't sell out as there were those returned the day before by players wives etc (which was how I got my ticket).

Get a part time job - I did when doing my A levels.

The other plus point, other than affording your ST, is that it will save you from getting pissed all night and you will be out of bed before Granada Reports starts.

Tax dodgers!

KtF,

Derek.

:lol: Good Post.

I made this point sometime ago as I'm getting rather tired of getting in for a student discount at away games but not at home games. It was pointed out to me at Crewe that this way i'm depriving the opposition money but not Oldham. Frankly for a student to get to enought games to make a season ticket worthwhile means that they are living at home or are doing a relaxed degree and therefore get financial benefit that way. My username might be enough of a clue to suggest that i'm not doing a relaxed degree. As to FMS post on working part-time how many of you on here work two jobs? As my course requires me to be in my place of study from 9-5 minimum every weekday. Plus sometimes things run over, working weekends or in the evenings is expected of you now and then, I don't get sick leave (if I'm ill for more than two days at once i have to work extra to catch up) and then i have to read on top of that, and i no longer get ridiculous holidays. I simply don't have time to get a part-time job and although I understand people's complaints about tax-dodging students I hate it when ALL students get lumped in with those who are in further education for the life experience (believe me living in Durham there can be quite a lot of them) as opposed to those who are doing a degree to get a specific career.

I'm not a big fan of the intermediate season ticket as it can mean that some of the people working everyday and therefore making a decent wage get in for less money than those who are studying. Having a student ticket is a slightly fairer option IMHO (but maybe it is a question of supply and demand as the club doesn't strike me as having a big fan base with those in further education compared with those between 16 and 19 who are working). I would think that the student ticket limited to those under 21 might only be as a guideline (as a lot of students are over 21 these days) to stop somepeople abusing the system. If you are over 21 it might be worthwhile emailing the club and seeing if they can relax their rules on a case by case basis. The absence of priority booking for important away games isn't as big a deal for me as I know of a couple of people that don't really go to away games and they've got season tickets (plus my Dad who probably will get a season ticket doesn't go to some of the away games I go to) and so I might well be able to use theirs. Yet if it was I might have been more tempted to get a season ticket, but the same could be said for those people who can't necessarily afford a season ticket in june but go to a lot of the games. Oh and in case you were wondering the student ticket scheme isn't automatic you have to pay £13 (however, you should get this back after paying reduced prices for a couple of games).

It always makes me laugh this. Are all students going to pay more than the standard rate once they qualify in their chosen subject on the basis that they'll potentially have better earning power than those who haven't been to college/uni etc?!

You CHOOSE to educate yourself further, nobody demands you do it, and if that means that you have to make concessions while you are at college/uni whatever then so be it. I mean jeeez - work in a pub/stacking shelves/whatever one night a week and pay for your ST by monthly DD.

Plenty of people have done it before and plenty more will do it in future - look at Prozac - he's worked his nads off for 4 years to get into his chosen profession of teaching AND he's had a wife and youngster(s) to support. Ok he's had a moan from time to time about being skint and he probably hasn't done half the things he'd have liked to over the last few years but he made his choice and sacrificed other things in his life so he could still go and watch Latics.

It always makes me laugh this. Are all students going to pay more than the standard rate once they qualify in their chosen subject on the basis that they'll potentially have better earning power than those who haven't been to college/uni etc?!

You CHOOSE to educate yourself further, nobody demands you do it, and if that means that you have to make concessions while you are at college/uni whatever then so be it. I mean jeeez - work in a pub/stacking shelves/whatever one night a week and pay for your ST by monthly DD.

Plenty of people have done it before and plenty more will do it in future - look at Prozac - he's worked his nads off for 4 years to get into his chosen profession of teaching AND he's had a wife and youngster(s) to support. Ok he's had a moan from time to time about being skint and he probably hasn't done half the things he'd have liked to over the last few years but he made his choice and sacrificed other things in his life so he could still go and watch Latics.

Still a year to go Dan! But I graduate in July then onto my PGCE, the load lightens a little with the fact I get a bursary from October. The first year 04/05 when I was doing my access course I was lucky and had already paid for my season ticket. My first year at Uni I emailed Alan Hardy, explained my situation and although I was over age he authorised one of the Student Memebership Cards for me. All I had to do was provide written proof from my tutor that I was indeed studying and not pulling wool over the club's eyes.

06/07 I had managed to save up throughout the season by only going to a handful of away games after the Chasetown debacle. I found the Student pass was a pain in the bum as you had to buy all your tickets in advance and of course you miss out on big game priority.

This season I borrowed my ticket money off my in laws, paid 'em back £50 per month by cutting back on away games before Chrimble, bought my ticket in May, i'd repaid them by November - sorted, ok I missed Leeds, Tranmere, Forest, Southend and Millwall but it wasn't the be all and end all espaecially as I still made Everton, Port Vale, Walsall, Accrington and Crewe amongst others. So although I did miss a lot of away games, my cutbacks have ensured that I have managed to scrape together enough for me and my boy to renew, looks like the Rocky Road End. Even though I do whinge and I missed two home games due to study commitments, there's no way I'll be missing next season. 3 sucessive top 10 finishes, suggests perhaps a degree of stability has returned and maybethe club with the right playing addition are on the periphery of achieving something positive.

Saturday made me realise just how expensive away trips are, especially when travelling independently. £19 in, £8.50 train, programme, food, copious amounts of alcohol, then the obligatory takeaway at the end of the night! It'll be the same next season, partly due to finances but also due to my course commitments.

Still a year to go Dan! But I graduate in July then onto my PGCE, the load lightens a little with the fact I get a bursary from October.

Ah, re-read this now I have cut the rest out, I thought you were saying the work-load lightens and I was going to say it doesn't! My missus did a PGCE about 2 years ago and had to work like a ###### but I now see you are talking financially.

Get a job, tax-dodger.

And a haircut.

Get a wig instead.

Tell yer what, I'll buy a wig if you get some implants. Keira Knightley looks buxom compared to your attempts or lack of them on Staurday. Seen bigger lumps in custard.

Edited by oafcprozac

Tell yer what, I'll buy a wig if you get some implants. Keira Knightley looks buxom compared to your attempts or lack of them on Staurday. Seen bigger lumps in custard.

I’ll tell you one thing, I wouldn’t climb over Keira Knightley to get to you :wink: Lots of women would give their eye teeth to get into a size 10-12 skirt whilst they are bulging out of a size 18 top, and you’ve got to admit my legs were the best on display.

Speaking of which, if you are that skint, there’s always a way to get by if you want it enough

Concern over 'student call girls'

Student leaders have dismissed the story

Cambridge dons have expressed concern over a report that some students are working as prostitutes.

Cambridge University's student newspaper Varsity quotes a female student who says she earned money as a call girl in her first year.

Mark Fletcher, head of the Cambridge University Students' Union, said the article dealt with "isolated cases".

Senior tutors said they were concerned to read the report, which also claims that students sold essays.

Varsity said it had spoken to one student who said she spent her first year working as a £50-an-hour call girl to fund an extravagant lifestyle.

Mark Fletcher, of the students' union, said he was not aware of any students working as prostitutes.

"What it seems to be talking about is very isolated cases," he said.

"I was slightly surprised to read about this.

"Varsity seems to have put together a few stories they have heard in the past."

The magazine also said a "plethora" of undergraduates was raising money by selling essays.

Financial difficulties

Rob Wallach, secretary of the university's senior tutors' committee, said he was "very concerned" by the prostitution claims.

He added: "Senior tutors would want to do everything they could to give support to students well before any found themselves in such a situation."

And Dr Wallach said the university "strongly discouraged" students from selling essays.

Mr Fletcher said Cambridge students had plenty of support available if they got into financial difficulties.

Last year, research by Kingston University in south-west London suggested there had been a growth in the numbers of students earning money through prostitution or in other parts of the sex industry.