Biggest Changing Moments In our history

IF we got relegated after losing to Southampton on the final day of the great escape season

IF John Sheridan hadnt made THAT challenge giving us the division one title

IF Corazzin had scored instead of hitting the bar against qpr in the play off semis at there place

IF Hughes had of hit the bar in the FA cup semi

IF we lost to reading on the final day of the season, getting relegated to the basement division

There are so many important moments in our history that define what OAFC is today. but if they happened a slightly different way, could we be far better or even far worse off than we are now? If we had got relegated in the great escape season, would we have bounced straight back up? or would we have dropped like a stone like we eventually did anyway?

I had this conversation some weeks ago in the pub before a game, and people opinions vary wildly. The thread about The guardian artical just brought it back to me.

IF we got relegated after losing to Southampton on the final day of the great escape season

IF John Sheridan hadnt made THAT challenge giving us the division one title

IF Corazzin had scored instead of hitting the bar against qpr in the play off semis at there place

IF Hughes had of hit the bar in the FA cup semi

IF we lost to reading on the final day of the season, getting relegated to the basement division

There are so many important moments in our history that define what OAFC is today. but if they happened a slightly different way, could we be far better or even far worse off than we are now? If we had got relegated in the great escape season, would we have bounced straight back up? or would we have dropped like a stone like we eventually did anyway?

I had this conversation some weeks ago in the pub before a game, and people opinions vary wildly. The thread about The guardian artical just brought it back to me.

If Sheridan hadn't made that tackle, then none of the subsequent events would have happened as it would have altered the space-time continuum.

If Sheridan hadn't made that tackle, then none of the subsequent events would have happened as it would have altered the space-time continuum.

That Sheridan tackle which led to that Redfearn penalty won us the old Division 2 Title, we would still have been promoted to Division 1 just not as Champions.

There was a fantastic book out a few years ago called something like Footballs What If's??? One of the chapters was "What if Mark H****s' volley had cleared the bar..." it then went on to outline how, after winning the semi we went on to win the FA Cup final against a chelsea team we'd already done the double over that season. The following season saw a relatively successful european campaign aided by some quality players bought in the summer and a challenge near the top of the table. Meanwhile the reds were distraught by the semi-final loss losing the title aswell that year and hitting a spiral as Fergie kept some of the older players from that season to challenge again, Blackburn winning the title the following season by a mile and left united languishing.

It was an excellent read and kind of made you think just how significant split-second events can have such a knock-on effect....I'm going to try and find that book!

If Littlejohn hadn't injured Pogs?

If we'd never installed the plastic pitch?

...If Ken Bates hadn't left us when he did?

Edited by lookers87

Can't blame Hughes, doing his job, so how about

If Graeme Sharp hadn't missed that absolute sitter minutes earlier to put us 2-0 and finish them off?

What if Simon Tracey hadn't kung fu kicked Sean McCarthy? He was clean through on goal and surely would've buried the late chance, to win us the game vs Sheff United and then we only would've needed a point at home to Spurs or at Norwich. That for me was the moment we were relegated, although he recieved his marching orders they were still able to bring on Alan Kelly our 'bogey' keeper at the time.

I think that Wembley 94 is the game that probably has the most 'what ifs' in it.

Had we won that game, I have no doubt that we would have stayed up that season and also won the FA Cup. We were a much better side than Chelsea at the time.

In theory, this would have meant that we'd have had investment the following season and been able to strengthen our position in the Prem but I'm not convinced that it would have happened. Lees' would have pocketed the money as they were doing at the time and I suspect that we could still have gone down the next season. Missing out on a European campaign will always hurt though because I don't believe it will ever happen again.

I also suspect that had we lost that game in normal time, we would have still stayed up. It was the pure heartbreak of how we lost that led to us failing to win another game.

I'm sure this will be hugely controversial, but "What if Chris Moore hadn't taken us over?"

Now, to clarify, what that tw*t did to my club is unforgivable and I'm pleased that he has gone some way towards getting his just deserts since, but I believe that him taking over the club was a positive thing.

At the time we were in a real mess and without someone coming in, I'm sure the club would have died.

The money invested gave me one of my favourite seasons ever.

I guess the more pertanent one would be "What if Chris Moore had been a decent human being?" Then, we might all be happy.

...."What if Chris Moore hadn't taken us over?"

Now, to clarify, what that tw*t did to my club is unforgivable and I'm pleased that he has gone some way towards getting his just deserts since,

Has the investigation into money 'resting in his account' been concluded yet?

Or if my memory serves me right, Milligan had not lost the ball, rather than blasting it into the stand.

Or if Joe Royle had brought on Andy Ritchie instead of Beckford. I remember a discussion between a group of fans along the lines of, with just a few minutes to go Sharp was kicking the ball out for throw-ins near United's goal line to waste time whereas Beckford couldn't/wouldn't jump.

Decent or not-what if he had kept his nerve and we'd started the following season with the same squad of players?

Sooner or later, if he didn't also done the (absolutely blatantly obvious) right thing and buy back the ground, we'd have finished up in an even bigger mess than the one he left us in.

This may sound a bit weird but if Paul Dickov (yes the very same ex City player) hadn't scored twice on his debut (or in his first few games anyhow) Crystal Palace would have got a draw they needed and we'd have gone down no matter what the result was against Southampton. Our cup run the year after would have been the same teams (the original number would have been the same) but we'd have been a high flying Championship (Div 1 I think in those days) team and we could well have been on the verge of promotion (as if memory serves me when we did get relegated the teams coming up weren't exactly stellar). That meant that the season after instead of having a indifferent year in a tough Div 1 (and seeing Joe Royle go to Everton in the process) we would have been in the Premiership and with some sound investment could well still be there.

Hughes's volley is always talked about but I think that in the long run we may have been better off going down the year before, but at least that goal was legitimate and wasn't incorrectly ruled out unlike in 90.

Otherwise what if the Man U supporting official hadn't ruled out a valid goal by Nick Henry, Man U would have lost the semi in 90 we would have had another final against Palace (where we might have been favourites given our cup record that year). Fergie would have got fired. Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scoles, the two Nevilles and more might well have played for the Latics (didn't a whole bunch of that United Youth team play at Boundary Park Juniors). We would have gone on to win the cup qualify for Europe where we would have beaten a lot of the teams (Christ United played Wrexham on their way to winning it) become a stellar force in English football just as the Premiership was being formed, Boundary Park would be renamed the Bovis Arena and be 50,000 all seater and dominated worldwide football with fans from Wiltshire to Singapore.

But then again we'd have the bad karma of being the equivalent of United.

Yes Miss.... :lol:

Er...

Sooner or later, if he didn't also buy back the ground (the absolutely, blatantly obvious thing to do), we'd have finished up in an even bigger mess than the one he left us in.

That's better. :blink: