Wardle leaves City

We all know Wardle had some links with Latics prior to his 11 years at City. Now he has departed the council house can TTA not bring him in some how are get some sponsorship tie up with any of his concerns? Alan Hardy must know the guy quite well.

We all know Wardle had some links with Latics prior to his 11 years at City. Now he has departed the council house can TTA not bring him in some how are get some sponsorship tie up with any of his concerns? Alan Hardy must know the guy quite well.

Those were my thoughts when I saw it announced on Sky a few minutes ago. He definitely is friendly with many at Latics and I wondered (and perhaps hoped) he may be interested in a bit of investment at Boundary Park.

He's probably going to wait until it all goes horribly wrong under Shiniwatra though and then buy back Citeh for a pittance. :grin:

It looks like he might have made around £40m from various share sales of JD Sport, but he ought to have made a lot more from years of dividends on a profitable company turning over hundreds of millions. Unless he has expensive habits I'd say he's worth a bit more than that.

i read a while back that he regrets the day recommending the sale of city to square face .

he's seen all the damage being done in front of him after years of running things,and not being able to say anything.

can't remember if he was the latics supporting partner of jd sports...?

i read a while back that he regrets the day recommending the sale of city to square face .

he's seen all the damage being done in front of him after years of running things,and not being able to say anything.

can't remember if he was the latics supporting partner of jd sports...?

More importantly Johnny, in my random factoid quiz of the day, which punkish musician's real name is John Wardle? No googling...

John and David Makin sold up in JD Sports a few years back now. They both own a firm called Footasylum now and are doing quite well, both of them always had a soft spot for Latics

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1346755,00.html

Could this be anything to do with Wardle? either way it's good news for TTA & Latics. Hopefully some more will come on board and help towards the running of the club. There's nowt like success on the pitch to generate more foot fall and medis coverage and in turn more companies wanting to reach that audience.

I've started to get a sneaky feeling it's Latics year!

Edited by Lags

Could this be anything to do with Wardle? either way it's good news for TTA & Latics. Hopefully some more will come on board and help towards the running of the club. There's nowt like success on the pitch to generate more foot fall and medis coverage and in turn more companies wanting to reach that audience.

I've got the same sort of feeling Lags, normally at this time of year I have a sense of cautious optimism, following the 'tics for over twenty years does that to a man. Normally the base for this optimism is usually groundless, but this year is different, we have a bit of stability on and off the field. We've kept a squad together that if had been injury freefrom January onwards surely would have got into the play-offs and on top of that we have made some quality additions. For the first time in years we have real strength in depth, we have a terminator in the treatment room and hopefully a manager that is beginning to 'dry' around the ears! Looking at our rivals there is probably only Leeds and Leicester with bigger squads. As i've said i'm genuinely excited at the prospect of players such as Stephens, Whitaker looks useful and O'Grady when he gets his sharpness looks like he'll be something different to Hughes and Davies, then add to that the fact we have the experience of Crossley, Lidds, Gregan and Hughes, oh and of course we can throw in the prospect of Deano and Lewi being a year older and it looks as though there could be at at least one more addition (Phillips :pray: ), possibly two if Maher or similar agrees to sign.

One note of caution though, THIS HAS TO BE THE YEAR, as I can see the squad again being decimated by departures come next summer with players such as Gregan, Crossley, Liddell, Allott, Hughes, Davies and Rubes all out of contract. So if we fail again we could be back at square one, certainly on the field anyway. New investment could enable us to keep these players and perhaps offer a new contract sooner. Otherwise we may be destined to forever chase our tail in League One. However, I do genuinely believe this is our year!

Edited by oafcprozac

"We've kept a squad together " - IMO thats the best thing.

We have gone into too many seasons not knowing each other. We've needed stability. I said in May that I'd look at losing 2 or 3 (inc Gary Mac) and bring in 5/6 to bulk the squad up. Which is what he's done. I'm very pleased. I'm hoping the squad can kick on.

We need to start well, ok teams do kick on (dale in league 2 for example) but last year we had 11 points after 10 games. Thats not good enough.

Looking at the table from last season after 12 games (latics had only played 10) Carlisle, Forest, Swansea and Southend are in the play offs and leeds would have been except for their deduction. Gillingham and Port Vale are in the relegation places. That shows how a good start sets you up and can have a lasting effect on the season.

Edited by pukka

Must admit I thought we would have heard something by now, normally that would be a leader to a Monday announcement.

Should we e worreid, probably not.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1349491,00.html

Latics announce sponsorship deal with the Chron. However this is a one year deal upto date. Whereas the topic singe mentions the announcement said long term I believe.

As part of this deal, I wonder if the club will feed through accurate titbits of factual news to them saving them the job of trawling internet gossip sites and pure guesswork in making sure there's something to write about regarding Latics every day.

Also, maybe the Bison will be a bit more glass-half full as opposed to their usual spin.

Guest oa_exile
Also, maybe the Bison will be a bit more glass-half full as opposed to their usual spin.

Think you will find that there will be plenty of full then empty glasses in the Sponsors box :wink: