MinD Your Languagr!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangerous game they are playing.....

Football continues to develope into something that dosent intrest me..... Im certainly not the sort to stand there and f and blind every two seconds but I certainly tell a player what I think of them etc etc from time to time.....and I have no intrest in "enjoying" a theater atmosphere.... Maybe im not the sort of fan the club wants.... If thats the case thats fine, I will take my £20 + all the extras and go do something else with it every week....its not like im going to struggle for options... Meanwhile they can attempt to get more families into the stadium....good luck with that one....

I know my five year old nephew loved him first game...mainly because he could get away with swearing with his uncles :)

Edited by oafc0000

Cheers!

Now if it was anyone but John Sheridan tellin us it's the way forward and he's signed up to it and throwin his weight behind it, I perhaps wouldn't have laughed so hard. Come on John lad it's gotta be believeable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the first time he swears on Saturday (probably about four seconds into the game) someone should go have a word with him....two faced :censored:.... :mad:

I just got around to reading the article - talk about self-selecting research. They have obviously gone up to people with young kids and asked them if they like people standing next to them swearing their heads off all game, shock horror the answer is no. It doesn't mention that part of the thrill for little Johnny when he is 13 will be that he can go down there and swear his head off if the mood takes him. Wouldn't do it at home? Precisely!

Dangerous game they are playing.....

Football continues to develope into something that dosent intrest me..... Im certainly not the sort to stand there and f and blind every two seconds but I certainly tell a player what I think of them etc etc from time to time.....and I have no intrest in "enjoying" a theater atmosphere.... Maybe im not the sort of fan the club wants.... If thats the case thats fine, I will take my £20 + all the extras and go do something else with it every week....its not like im going to struggle for options... Meanwhile they can attempt to get more families into the stadium....good luck with that one....

I know my five year old nephew loved him first game...mainly because he could get away with swearing with his uncles :)

The trouble with this more family thing....it cost too much!

The trouble with this more family thing....it cost too much!

Well this better just be a paper exercise..... Its bad enough we have to sit down all game but to start babying people on language is just too far...

If I see stewards activly asking people stop swearing I promise its my last game of football... I wont pay £20 to sit in a sterile atmosphere...

Just read the website and the whole campaign is about not swearing in the "family" sections.... Thats fine by me but dont desinate the whole stadium as a "family" section...typical latics...(I NEVER say that as well!)

I think the club are in some delude fantasy that the fans can be bullied around and will still keep coming...they are going to have a shock as the attendence numbers conitue to shrink....this wont have the effect they state...

Edited by oafc0000

The club won't enforce it...they are trying to show themselves to be proactive and promoting a family atmosphere.

Plus they know as well as us that if they took to punishing people for swearing, they'd lose a lot more fans than they'd gain.

Great with all the doom and gloom in the news at the moment you cant even release your frustrations out on a rival player or set of fans with a few choice words! what is this f*£king world coming too? lol

Edited by KYLEOAFC

can see this causing alot of problems at football matches all over the coutry... imagine at dumps all round the grounds like milllwall hull and stoke "listen im going to have to throw you out you have swore to many times now" like anyone will go without a fight happening!!!!

all these different rules and stuff they are bringing into football will end up killing the game!!!!

ITS A MANS SPORT!!! DONT LIKE IT F OFF!!!

This topic was always going to provoke some interesting responses. Are you suggesting I don't take my 8 year old daughter to games? if so how do we build our fanbase for the future. She went to several away games last year as well where the language is often worse. Again, should I not take her or should grown men ( the usual offenders) be able to control their drink intake and their mouths? Look forward to your response.(edit: not just aimed at you KH but others who have posted on this topic)

On a more positive point we went to pickup her season ticket today and she was given a Boundary Blues scarf (very nice) and free. Yet another example of the club doing well. BB membership is £50 for a season ticket the scarf and 2 brilliant parties. But then again maybe they should just tell her to F off?

Edited by astottie

This topic was always going to provoke some interesting responses. Are you suggesting I don't take my 8 year old daughter to games? if so how do we build our fanbase for the future. She went to several away games last year as well where the language is often worse. Again, should I not take her or should grown men ( the usual offenders) be able to control their drink intake and their mouths? Look forward to your response.

On a more positive point we went to pickup her season ticket today and she was given a Boundary Blues scarf (very nice) and free. Yet another example of the club doing well. BB membership is £50 for a season ticket the scarf and 2 brilliant parties. But then again maybe they should just tell her to F off?

I can apreciate where you are coming from having an 8 year old daughter and if I had kids of my own maybe my atitude would be different. However pretty much for the last 100 years+ football grounds have been a place for the working man to come and let out abit of testosterone and frustration weather that be from frustration from work, frustration from no work, or frustration from anythingelse in life. Its very difficult to take that away if in deed possible at all.

Going to Latics Home and away is a hoby and is something we can go to do to switch off. Its better its done interms of shouting at 22 guys kicking a bag of wind round a field rather than going kicking lumps out of each other. Sport effectively is away of channelling aggression watching and playing.

This topic was always going to provoke some interesting responses. Are you suggesting I don't take my 8 year old daughter to games? if so how do we build our fanbase for the future. She went to several away games last year as well where the language is often worse. Again, should I not take her or should grown men ( the usual offenders) be able to control their drink intake and their mouths? Look forward to your response.(edit: not just aimed at you KH but others who have posted on this topic)

From my own point of view you are more than welcome to bring your daughter. Just dont expect me to tone down my language if you sit next to me. I think thats the point being made.

I dont expect people to change there behaviour when I take my nephew....why do you expect people to change because you have brought your daughter.... In my opinion if your daughter isnt old enough to handle people swearing and showing some amount of frustration / agreesion then she isnt ready to come to the football. I thought long and hard before bringing my nephew....he loved it...and by the sounds of it so did your daughter....

Edited by oafc0000

From my own point of view you are more than welcome to bring your daughter. Just dont expect me to tone down my language if you sit next to me. I think thats the point being made.

Rather surprised by your response mate. If you were to sit next to an 8 year old (or any one for that matter ) on a train or the cinema would you think it ok to eff and jeff? Also as a latics fan would you prefer to see the support increase or your 'personal rights' prevail?

I dont expect people to change there behaviour when I take my nephew....why do you expect people to change because you have brought your daughter....

It's simple.

One of the stands should be alcohol free and swear free. They do it in Oz and it works. Would take all the stress out. Those taking kids would be safe in the knowledge their precious little ones wouldn't be subjected to some coarse Anglo-Saxon language and immediately turn into mass murderers.

The rest of us could go the pub, have a few beers and enjoy ourselves, safe in the knowledge that when Andy Liddell refuses to take a man on for the 17th time we're not going to get dobbed out for muttering 'FFS' or similar.

This smacks of PC interference a la the smoking ban. What's wrong with choice these days?

Rather surprised by your response mate. If you were to sit next to an 8 year old (or any one for that matter ) on a train or the cinema would you think it ok to eff and jeff? Also as a latics fan would you prefer to see the support increase or your 'personal rights' prevail?

If you want a discussion on it thats fine but dont patronise me..... Of course I wouldnt.....

It winds me up when people bring children into adult environments and expect that environment to change to match them and there child. A football stadium has always been a risky environment to take a child to. I go there to let off steam from a hard weeks work. Just like going to the pub. I dont want to have to watch my lanaguage etc. Just like i dont want to in a pub etc.

Children are welcome....but people should accept its an adult environment....was when my dad took me and will hopefully still be when I take my son...

The club might want to make it a family environment but by doing this they will destroy the reason why people go to the football. We have largely moved on from the violence of the 80's which was right but I think now to attack peoples language is way over the top and far too controllng...

I wouldnt take my child to watch Frank Skinner and then ask him to turn it down a knotch with the rude jokes :unsure:

All said and done, BP is a VERY child friendly place compared to other clubs. I dont think there is a need for the club to make this an issue.

Edited by oafc0000

It's simple.

One of the stands should be alcohol free and swear free. They do it in Oz and it works. Would take all the stress out. Those taking kids would be safe in the knowledge their precious little ones wouldn't be subjected to some coarse Anglo-Saxon language and immediately turn into mass murderers.

The rest of us could go the pub, have a few beers and enjoy ourselves, safe in the knowledge that when Andy Liddell refuses to take a man on for the 17th time we're not going to get dobbed out for muttering 'FFS' or similar.

This smacks of PC interference a la the smoking ban. What's wrong with choice these days?

Totally agree...simple solution and surprised the club havent done it...instead of opening this can of worms....

Edited by oafc0000

If you want a discussion on it thats fine but dont patronise me..... Of course I wouldnt.....

Don't mean to patronise you, when I responded to your response for some reason i didn'nt see the bottom half of your post. i also called you 'mate' because oafc000 is abit of a mouthfull. But getting back to the point, if you wouldn't eff and jeff on a train etc why is it ok to do it in a football ground?

I also must admit to some hypocrisy here because i've been going since i was 11 and certainly during my teens and twenties must have given it out with the best of them. Me and Mr Aldridge came nose to nose through an iron fence on one occasion and a steward at Southampton in 1990 got very upset with me.

In my defence ( and i always thought I might get a kicking on this one) I m now almost grown up and think that adults should set some examples. Why do we need to swear and be offensive. My daughter does cope with it, with no problem as does your nephew but should they have to? Who's needs are we meeting here?

Edited by astottie

My four year old comes to games with me, but doesn't sit with me, cos frankly when it comes to footy, I and most of those who sit around me have got somewhat colourful vocabularies. She sits with my wife (who is on the Boundary Blues committee) and her nana who sit in a quieter bit of the Chaddy End. Even then, if there's kids and paretnts around, most will moderate their language at least a little bit.

Horses for courses innit?

Don't mean to patronise you, when I responded to your response for some reason i didn'nt see the bottom half of your post. i also called you 'mate' because oafc000 is abit of a mouthfull. But getting back to the point, if you wouldn't eff and jeff on a train etc why is it ok to do it in a football ground?

I also must admit to some hypocrisy here because i've been going since i was 11 and certainly during my teens and twenties must have given it out with the best of them. Me and Mr Aldridge came nose to nose through an iron fence on one occasion and a steward at Southampton in 1990 got very upset with me.

In my defence ( and i always thought I might get a kicking on this one) I m now almost grown up and think that adults should set some examples. Why to we need to swear and be offensive. My daughter does cope with it with no problem as does your nephew but should they have to? Who's needs are we meeting here/

i dont go to the football to set an example to your child to be frank. I go to the football to let off steam, to have a laugh with my friends, to have a good time with my nephew. Some of my foundest moments where with my dad at the football enjoy a bit of naughtyness....

Why should us lot change to accomdate your child ?? I owe you and your child nothing. It sounds harsh but its true. If I see a child I will cut it down, abit, but sooner or later somethings going to happen on the field which will make me lose that composure..... I spend all week at work dealing with dick head clients and employees.... Watching how i act and how I behave... Football let me let off steam... And its been that way for a long time for alot of people and people dont want it to change....

If the majority of fans / the club dont want my sort...fine i wont go and go and spend my money on other things..... I reckon BP will be an emptier quiter and less enjoyable place.... I also reckon all these "abused" children wont be as intrested in going..... I cant see them still coming when the are 18 and deciding whats bes to do with there last £20....

Edited by oafc0000

I remember when I was a kid, probably around six or seven, and I used to tell my old man to stop shouting at the game and to stop swearing. About half way through a season (all I can remember is that we were in the 'new old' Division One), he turned round to me and said something to the effect of 'Son, you have to realise if you come to the football with me that I'm gonna swear and other grown ups are going to shout and swear.' And from that point I knew, the older people would swear, but I still shouldn't. I'd hear words and remember them, but I knew not to repeat them. It's not that difficult a lesson for a child to learn.

And now the boot's on the other foot, as the old man regularly comes out of the ground exclaiming bemusement as to how his usually mild mannered son turns into a foulmouthed so and so on a Saturday afternoon whilst he sits a lot quiter than he used to, taking in the game. But do you know what? He doesn't complain...he knows how he used to be at the football and I assume, astottie, that you were the same. Fair play, you don't want to expose your daughter to such colourful language, but you have to expect it if you go to a game and just ensure that she knows that to a large extent, there's a time and place for foul language.

Edited by jsslatic

i dont go to the football to set an example to your child to be frank. I go to the football to let off steam, to have a laugh with my friends, to have a good time with my nephew. Some of my foundest moments where with my dad at the football enjoy a bit of naughtyness....

Why should us lot change to accomdate your child ?? I owe you and your child nothing. It sounds harsh but its true. abit, but sooner or later somethings going to happen on the field which will make me lose that composure..... I spend all week at work dealing with dick head clients and employees.... Watching how i act and how I behave... Football let me let off steam... And its been that way for a long time for alot of people and people dont want it to change....

If the majority of fans / the club dont want my sort...fine i wont go and go and spend my money on other things..... I reckon BP will be an emptier quiter and less enjoyable place.... I also reckon all these "abused" children wont be as intrested in going..... I cant see them still coming when the are 18 and deciding whats bes to do with there last £20....

Sorry for the delay in response but just been to put my tin hat on , as i said before I thought i might get some stick on this. I agree with a lot of what you say, the naughtiness and the atmosphere and the fact that people do tone it down - usually if I ask them to they do. I might be asking a lot here but why do we need to eff and jeff and call for people to die or whatever? I do think we should accomodate children, I also don't think football grounds should be an adult environment as mentioned in the reponse above, we must encourage kids (otherwise Smalley and Eardley would never be allowed in the team). I've let off steam at the footy for years now so I agree with you on this but do we need to be abusive?(please refer to the above where i admit that I have been abusive in the past :wink: )

I don't think me or the club want people who swear not to come, just that it might be a nicer and more welcoming environment if they didn't - and here I''m talking more about about abusive songs and chanting rather than the occasional' FFS Eardley your mates in the other stand now' Also i'm not saying the kids will be abused, just that they might benefit from not hearing a load of c**p sung every week. Also slighltly taken out of context I know but 'If I see a child I will cut it down' I know she's only 8 but she 's a big lassie! KTF

I remember when I was a kid, probably around six or seven, and I used to tell my old man to stop shouting at the game and to stop swearing. About half way through a season (all I can remember is that we were in the 'new old' Division One), he turned round to me and said something to the effect of 'Son, you have to realise if you come to the football with me that I'm gonna swear and other grown ups are going to shout and swear.' And from that point I knew, the older people would swear, but I still shouldn't. I'd hear words and remember them, but I knew not to repeat them. It's not that difficult a lesson for a child to learn.

And now the boot's on the other foot, as the old man regularly comes out of the ground exclaiming bemusement as to how his usually mild mannered son turns into a foulmouthed so and so on a Saturday afternoon whilst he sits a lot quiter than he used to, taking in the game. But do you know what? He doesn't complain...he knows how he used to be at the football and I assume, astottie, that you were the same. Fair play, you don't want to expose your daughter to such colourful language, but you have to expect it if you go to a game and just ensure that she knows that to a large extent, there's a time and place for foul language.

Just putting second tin hat on. Agree with almost every word! Of course I knew and she knows too, she will chuckle and know telling mum will cause us both grief. Time and a place maybe but why ? Shouldn't we just know to behave ourselves?

A lot of this is me knowing I'm fighting a losing battle here but we have to strive for perfection don't we?

just going looking for another tin hat.