Tonight's rarely wrong Chron has jumped on this bandwaggon:

Sit down and stop swearing

Reporter: Richard Hooton

Date online: 15/08/2008

Latics’ family fans upset by abuse

FOUL-mouthed fans and persistent standing have led to families walking out of Latics matches — and could result in parts of Boundary Park being closed.

Club bosses have appealed to supporters to be better behaved after police insisted on extra segregation that will lead to the capacity being reduced and cost them vital revenue.

The swearing reached fever pitch against Millwall on Saturday with families with young children leaving the ground before the thrilling match had even got to half-time.

A dramatic, last-gasp 4-3 victory was marred by a torrent of foul and abusive language in the Rochdale Road stand and persistent standing.

If the problem persists then even harsher restrictions will follow, which could lead to higher police charges or even closure of parts of the ground.

Oldham Athletic chiefs fear the behaviour is ruining their image as a family club. Persistent standing also prevents wheelchair users from being able to see the game.

Chief executive Alan Hardy said it was unfortunate that the first game of the season was against Millwall, whose fans have a notorious record for misbehaviour.

Police have asked for 10 seats on either side of opposition supporters to be blocked off, which will reduce capacity by 600 seats.

The club is also trying to identify a new area for families to go after losing the Broadway stand during the redevelopment of the ground.

Mr Hardy said fans standing throughout the game at the all-seater stadium was the main problem.

He added: “If the club does not react to it we are concerned the relevant authorities will take action that will be out of the club’s hands.

“We know fans will stand up and cheer their team on, it’s just the persistent standing. We also appeal to fans to try to keep the language clean.”

:lol:

Ten seats on either side :) What just in case someone manages to scale the 20 foot moat ^_^

I would of thought ten seats on one side would of been more than enough :)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, here goes. I emailed Alan Hardy as soon as i read the article on the website, and to my surprise he rang me on my mobile the next morning (Thursday) to talk through my points. I have to say that i was really impressed in him for doing that, and i'll post my original email below & then tell you about the main points of our conversation. [i haven't been able to post sooner due to work commitments FYI]

Alan,

I feel compelled to write to you in regards to the article that has appeared on the official site today.

As a season ticket holder of 11 years in the old Lookers paddock, I have re-located this season to the RRE end; as was encouraged by the club with the discounted rate and the calls to make the RRE the new ‘home end’. So, on Saturday my mate Phil & I found our new seats in readiness for the first game of the season. Having met a number of fans at the Masters games at the MEN, both Phil & I were aware pre-game that we had got seats in the area where the drum would be. To say we were hesitant as to what the atmosphere / drum noise would be like would be true; but what we experienced was the best home game atmosphere I have been apart of in 15+ years of watching Latics.

Far from killing the chants & becoming a noisy nuisance; we actually really enjoyed the drum being there to whip up the atmosphere. The singing from our section was non-stop & the backing the team got throughout was amazing to be apart of.

Yes, there was standing in a section & yes, I guess the language was ‘tasty’ at some points – but we are watching a game of football at the end of the day; not the theatre or the ballet!

I find it almost laughable that some of our fans would prefer to walk out of a game they have already paid for; than simply to look for a new seat slightly away from the drum/singers/away fans. The stand is a big one, not all seats are reserved & there is plenty of room to accommodate everyone – from the sit down/non singers to the drum & chanting brigade.

The one point I do agree with is the affect the standing in particular affecting the disabled fans. That should of course be looked into – now I’m no stadium engineer; but I would have thought a raised area for wheelchairs would be a solution to this problem??

As for the police having to look into ways of segregating the home & away fans – a point that cannot be overlooked in this matter is the simple fact that we were playing Millwall, whose supporters are nothing short of a bunch of animals; lower than low the lot of them I’m afraid! I seriously don’t think we will see anything of the like we did on Saturday, away fan wise, again this season, as they are simply a one off in this league. Yes, Huddersfield, Leeds & Leicester will bring a few – but there fans will be nothing like those of Millwall.

I would be really disappointed if, as of the article, overzealous stewarding & policing becomes a regular occurrence in the RRE, and those attempting to create an atmosphere at BP & actually get behind the team in a positive way are now the targets for a form of persecution. I know that may seem a bit strong, but I know I would prefer to have people around me singing Latics songs, cheering on the team & creating an atmosphere rather than sat moaning & slagging of the players as seems to be the want of a number of our more ‘seasoned watchers’.

Again, I’m no stadium expert, but could a ‘family area’ be created in one of the stands – either the far end of the RRE, one of the far sections of the Chaddy or the whole of the main stand for example. Then people with young kids, older fans & people who object (as many have it would appear!) to drumming & singing can all sit together away from those fans trying to turn home games into an event again??

Just a thought, and obviously I’m coming at this from the side of singer myself, but I have to say that the article on the website has got to me today & as such I’ve penned this email.

Thanks for taking the time to read this Alan

Yours

Rob Lord

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIGHT, now for the main points from Alan's call to me.

Firstly, he reads OWTB and is aware of the reaction on here, which he feels is people getting the wrong end of the stick (that was as of about 9.30am yesterday when he rang me)

He said that the club was compelled to post on this matter, to be seen to be being proactive on it, as the police are heavily involved in the issues raised. If they hadn't posted the article, they would have given the impression of not acting out to both the police & the FA (through their new Respect campaign).

He said all the directors / management team & the players were made up with saturdays atmosphere, he agreed with me as to it being one of the best home game atmospheres in years. He also made the point that the club does not & is not wanting to 'kill' the atmosphere / singing / chanting - in fact they ideally want us to all carry on singing & supporting the club all season, as the players really to take to it!

The main point he wanted to get across was that it isn't the club being killjoys on this, the police & their safety officers have had a major imput in this matter - and that the club has been told that if the home vs away fans 'incidents' (pie throwing / bottles / physical threats etc) continue then the police will enforce an area of segregation between the fans.

This will be 10 seats into the away & 10 seats into the home end. Alan was at pains to stress the loss of venue that this will cause, he said upwards of £1500 for big games - as these seats will be covered with a mess canvas (also will have to bought).

He also agreed with me that Millwall will hopefully be a one-off in terms of the aggresiveness between there fans & ours, and that in time (think he put it at 5-6 games) that the RRE will settle down as people get used to it etc.

He also answered my questions on the raised platform for the disabled fans - that isn't feasible as their accress all has to be on the same level, from outside the ground to their seats. The new 'main stand' whn it is build will have "state of the art" facilities for our disabled fans; but until then, the RRE area is still going to be used for them. Also, in survey, our facilities for disabled fans came out really well; so they're obvioulsly not too shabby. Its specificly people constantly standing up that is the problem as it really does restrict the view of our disabled fans.

Finally he said that the directors would be discussing the forming of a family area asap - potentially in the chaddy end at the old lookers end; but nothing had been set in stone on that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think that was all the main points we talked about.

I was really impressed he took the time out to ring me and talk through with me the club position, and i think we really do have a family club here when the Chief Exec takes the time to call up a fan in person to discuss club matters.

I'm happy enough that i feel now the singing & drumming etc from last saturday will not be attempted to be stopped, all the club want from us a bit of co-operation in terms of the constant standing (which is illegal & they get in real trouble if they fail to act on) & the 'over the top' language - they know its the football & swearing happens, they just want us to tone it down a tad.

Hope that sheds a bit of light on this - sorry i've only just posted this - as i said, work commitments meant that this is the first available time i've had to do it.

Cheers,

Slystallone

Good response I must admit....and good email to start the ball rolling....well done..

I would suggets the family area should be set up in the far left of the rochdale road end.... Mainly because there are more seats avilable to rellocate people this season... Then maybe next year do it in the chaddy.....

I would also 100% support a zero tollerance approach to stewarding of that section... aka if you sit there you sit down at all times unless there has been a goal and you dont swear....at all....

Then supporters have a clear choice in there match experience!!!

Put big signs up saying <--------------- Families Idiots ---------------> I kow which way im going :)

Edited by oafc0000

:lol:

Ten seats on either side :) What just in case someone manages to scale the 20 foot moat ^_^

I would of thought ten seats on one side would of been more than enough :)

I agree

Very impressed with AH's respoinse to the poster above

I would have thought that the club may be able to reach a compromise here with the police

Perhaps they could offer to buy some netting( lother teams use that) and put that up to stop items being thrown. That appeas to be what started some of the aggro on saturday

Agree to say 5 columns of seatsa(as oafc0000) says theres the 20ft moat) and compromise buy netting off say 3 rows under the dissabled access so anyone standing up still doesnt obstrcut

REsult better safety, less revenue lost, less aggro for the police, better for the disabled section. Obviousl;y I donnot know the numbers of people in the few rows infront of the disabled access but presumably they are not full.

I am sure Alan's view on the disabled spectator problem will not be welcomed by the clubs wheelchair users. The thought of going through this season and more than likely next year aswell looking at the back of supporters heads is down right naff. The only real prospect of viewing games in full is if we lose all form and the supporters drift away leaving big gaps in the RRE. At the end of the day this club should be providing us with a decent view of the game and sadly it looks like they have just passed the buck and said we canot do anything for a year or two!! Not happy at all but to be honest after attending home games for 25 years the response from the club is quite predictable.

I am sure Alan's view on the disabled spectator problem will not be welcomed by the clubs wheelchair users. The thought of going through this season and more than likely next year aswell looking at the back of supporters heads is down right naff. The only real prospect of viewing games in full is if we lose all form and the supporters drift away leaving big gaps in the RRE. At the end of the day this club should be providing us with a decent view of the game and sadly it looks like they have just passed the buck and said we canot do anything for a year or two!! Not happy at all but to be honest after attending home games for 25 years the response from the club is quite predictable.

Reading between the lines I think it has something to do with the safety certificate for that stand. To build a raised area with a ramp etc would start blocking the exits etc etc....

That said... We need to provide better facilities for the disabled and the new stand will do that.... I really dont know what else we could do in the mean time ? Maybe block off the back rows when it isnt a full house ?

Drphibes - from what Alan said to me, i think yours & the needs of fellow disabled fans rank very highly in the thoughts of the club - your (restricted) view of the game is one of the main reason why they want to ask people to stop constantly standing up during the games; and as i said, Alan is fully aware of the limitation of the RRE at present.

He said alot to me, some of which i can't recall in exact detail (it was yesterday morning afterall, i've worked an 17hr shift since then!!) - but one of the points that is a little 'hazy' but here goes anyway - was that when the RRE was build, it conformed to the regualtions at the time (a green60 legilation or something). With the passing of time & further developments in stadia design etc, those regulations have been surpassed by others. Whilst the RRE is obviously not up the current spec of new built grounds, it does/did conform to the previous legisation. The main problem lies in the fans lower down in the stand constantly standing up; blocking views. The steward are aware of this, and will be doing their best to make sur your view is the best it can be.

Rest assurred, i believe the new stand; when it built, will have state of the art facilities & the best views in the ground!!

Hope that helps??

Reading between the lines I think it has something to do with the safety certificate for that stand. To build a raised area with a ramp etc would start blocking the exits etc etc....

That said... We need to provide better facilities for the disabled and the new stand will do that.... I really dont know what else we could do in the mean time ? Maybe block off the back rows when it isnt a full house ?

The thing is the treatment of the disabled fans has not been upto scratch for a long time to be honest. The RRE was built years ago and right from the word go the viewing problems existed and the club took the view of its to late to do anything about it. Luckily we still had the area in the Lookers that was raised, gave a decent view and was covered within reason so you did not get drenched on a matchday. The roof from the Lookers area was removed through one of two reasons, 1 - due to the weather it needed replacing and I guess cost was a factor in this not happening or 2 - Punters in the exec box complained that they could not see the corner flag infront of them so part of thr roof was removed. Now picture the scene that some corporate suits complained about the Chaddy roof and asked for part of it to be removed so they could see, I reckon the club would refuse because they would be on the recieving end of a torrent of complaints. Come on Latics lets get a grip and try and treat the disabled with a bit more thought.

I agree though the if the back Two rows of seats where blocked of from use it would make a massive difference.

The thing is the treatment of the disabled fans has not been upto scratch for a long time to be honest.

To be honest you have to offset your complaints with the realisation of what sort of shape the clubs bank account has been in.... I think is too late to do anything about the rochdale road end...but..this can be solved by blocking that section off...

I think are lovly new stands will please everyone as long as people have learnt there lessons....

Consultation is the key, when the time comes to designing the new stand(s).

I'm sure provision in the new stands will be more than acceptable, but proper consultation will ensure it is seen to be so, and makes sure they don't miss anything that perhaps only the disabled fans and their helpers might think of.

To be honest you have to offset your complaints with the realisation of what sort of shape the clubs bank account has been in.... I think is too late to do anything about the rochdale road end...but..this can be solved by blocking that section off...

I think are lovly new stands will please everyone as long as people have learnt there lessons....

Why block them off? Shouldn't be that difficult to remove the bolts at the base and remove them completely.

The thing is the treatment of the disabled fans has not been upto scratch for a long time to be honest. The RRE was built years ago and right from the word go the viewing problems existed and the club took the view of its to late to do anything about it. Luckily we still had the area in the Lookers that was raised, gave a decent view and was covered within reason so you did not get drenched on a matchday. The roof from the Lookers area was removed through one of two reasons, 1 - due to the weather it needed replacing and I guess cost was a factor in this not happening or 2 - Punters in the exec box complained that they could not see the corner flag infront of them so part of thr roof was removed. Now picture the scene that some corporate suits complained about the Chaddy roof and asked for part of it to be removed so they could see, I reckon the club would refuse because they would be on the recieving end of a torrent of complaints. Come on Latics lets get a grip and try and treat the disabled with a bit more thought.

I agree though the if the back Two rows of seats where blocked of from use it would make a massive difference.

We should allow you to park your blue car at the side of the pitch again - do you remember when that was the only disabled facilities we had?

:D

What this reveals is that the disabled area in the RRE has never been decent for teams who bring a decent crowd, as most away teams that fill it out have always stood up for most of the game - and even obeying the rules, fans will, always will, stand up when it gets exciting, which is I'm sure the bit that the wheelchair users want to see as much as everyone else does.

Regardless of the other arguments going on, this is an issue that needs to be sorted out - it's just silly to ask people who happen to be in front of the wheelchair section not to jump up when we have a shot on goal. If the only way these guys are going to get a fair view of the game is to block off the seats in front of them, then that's what the club should be doing. It won't cost a penny until such time as we run out of seats in the RRE. I'd hope people who have a ST in one of them would be understanding, as some of them might themselves have taken an arsey line regarding people obstructing their own view.

The other thing I will say is - those that threw stuff over the moat at Millwall, I can understand how you felt, and the stewards should have sorted it, but it has given Dibble a way into this situation...