• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have thought we'd just give them the whole RRE as I doubt we can even sell the rest.

Club said season ticket holders would be moved to the small section... Cant see them not doing that....

I doubt the club will block off any sections... If a twenty foot moat dosent count as segragation then what does :)

Stew - the best view in BP IMO is right up the top of the Main Stand - but I wouldn't go there because I prefer more of an atmosphere and to have a bit of a rant and a sing-along at times. Can you see what I'm driving at? I fully understand that people will have chosen their seats for the view, but they should take all the relevant factors into account. I would think it was wrong if me and 15 boozed up accomplices went into a quiet bit of the Main Stand and started f-ing and blinding, but there is a quid pro quo.

Due to financial and other circumstances, for the last couple of seasons I have attended an average of one game a month, more or less. As someone for whom the atmosphere is an integral part of my enjoyment of the game you can probably guess how many of these games have been at BP, very few. It's not a boycott, I simply choose to spend the limited amount of money I have for leisure pastimes on things that I enjoy more i.e.away games. I wonder how many others don't attend BP because its just not as much fun as it once was. Certainly there has been nothing in the last few seasons atmosphere-wise that would hook a young first timer.

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but texts I received and posts on here with comments like "best atmosphere for 15 years" and "like a really good away game" were music to my ears and I couldn't wait to get back to BP. Now I'm not so sure.

I understand the clubs point of view. Persistant standing and swearing are both against ground regulations and if the club have complaints from fans or the police they have to act. I feel the press release could have been worded better but I agree that it was probably necessary.

However, for a while I have seen two very different camps emerging within Latics fans i.e. those who want to create an atmosphere and those that don't. Those that don't seem progressively trying to actively stop an atmosphere from being created. Twice last season I was told to be quiet by someone sat in front of me, v Leeds in the Chaddy and at Everton. In both cases I wasn't swearing, just singing. In my opinion there's something wrong if you can't get behind the team in games like those!

I feel that the club need to be aware that fans will have been lost due to a lack of atmosphere. These fans won't write to the club to complain, they simply won't turn up.

I think a singing section is long overdue. I want a singing section, and I'm pretty sure the two blokes in front of me v Leeds and at Goodison want a singing section as well!!

Why can't people understand that not everyone is the same, including how they like to watch their football!! Calling people morons/hooligans for chanting, standing and, yes, swearing is just as wrong as calling people boring, moaning, non-supporting old farts who just want to enjoy their footy in a slighlty more peaceful fashion.

I'm in the latter group and have just been made homeless after 20+ years of being a season ticket holder in the Lookers. I am not stupid, but bought a season ticket in the RRE because there were no "unrestricted view" seats left in the main stand and in my naivety thought that the Chaddy would still be the singing/standing home-end. In my defence, various attempts by the club to try and relocate "the chaddy choir" to the RRE over the last few years had been met with the "over my dead body", "when hell freezes over" kind of response, that is until your complicity was bought with a £10 discount!! Anyway, I failed to spot the trend before buying my seat in the RRE (though not close enough to the Millwall idiots to cop for the piddle, pies and coins!).

I fully support our club's sensible owners in their attempts to redevelop the ground and have no problem with the Lookers coming down, but I do think it was an error of judgment not earmarking an "area" in the ground for us refugees from what was the family stand. So, what do we do now? I'm happy to move if the club will allow it, but I do resent being told by the more vociferous members of the "other camp" to leave the seat I have a season ticket for and go and plonk myself somewhere else in the stand, away from them. Also, before I move, I would like confirmation as to where the FINAL resting place of the blasted drummer will be!

There are idiots in both camps of this argument but the vast majority of us just want to get on and enjoy watching and supporting the team in our own many and varied ways. Let's hope we and the club can find a solution before any more PR damage is done.

Peter

Some people are really going OTT on this thread.

I personally dont mind people standing up and i dont mind all the swearing though i only stand myself if i cant see due to people standing up in front. What i do find a bit off is people saying that the disabled access should be in the Chaddy End, why should they have to move from somewhere where they have a very good view to where its pretty crappy at the bottom of the Chaddy just so people can stand up when, like it or not standing is not allowed inside the ground and people know that when they pay to get in. And someone mentioned that those with young families should go and sit in the main stand but it was (i think) 3 times more expensive to buy a childs season ticket, im sure when i looked into it it was £150 for my nephews in the lower tier of the main stand whereas it was £50 in the Chaddy end and the Rochdale rd end. The club have not said that we can not sing and create and atmosphere but several people do go over the top at football sometimes, from where i sit in the main stand i saw several people get knocked over on Saturday just so people could charge over to the Millwall supporters(and vice versa) just so they could shout abuse and throw things and on Tues at Rochdale several people charged to the front for the penaltys pushing over kids (someone almost knocked my 7 year old nephew to the floor) and again standing directly in front of at least one wheelchair so they couldnt see. I'm sure most people who do those things at football matches wouldnt do that outside a football stadium (but sadly im sure some do) so why do people think its acceptable at a football match? I dont think the club is trying to get rid of the atmosphere at matches, the statement seems to have come from the police more than the club, and are not trying to take away anyones fun but they do seem to be saying just be a little curtious to those around you which is fair enough but the club should also have organised things a little better themselves, i dont like the idea of specific singing sections but there should be a family section in the ground

Glad to see that people read what they wanted to in my post. I was strongly making the point that you should read your own posts as that being self centred hooligans who cared nothing for anyone else was the impression YOU gave in your posts.

I also gave good reasons why people might take up seats in a particular area without thinking what other people might want. Obviously you did not think people might want to sit there for the view so why should they consider you might think differently to them.

I actually thought the statement was well worded and to fail to issue such a statement would have put the club in trouble with the police and the Football League. I was not at the ground as I said so I was not commenting on what happened but your reaction to the statement. I must admit that I would not have sat in the RRE or the Chaddy from choice as I believe both to be very poor for watching football. The Chaddy because it was never made for sitting in and the sight lines are wrong. The RRE because you are either blinded by the sun or horizontal hail. What is clear is that now the club stands to lose money when the likes of Leeds visit.

See Stewrat, again who are these people/persons who you refer to as "you" ???

You obviously have not read everyone else post on here and you would rather stereotype and generalise and thats why you cannot take the moral highground you so wish to take. You also don't seem to know what OWTB is about either so perhaps you could sit back, read a few post and take on board what the people on here are about before you start patronising anyone.

Some people are really going OTT on this thread.

I personally dont mind people standing up and i dont mind all the swearing though i only stand myself if i cant see due to people standing up in front. What i do find a bit off is people saying that the disabled access should be in the Chaddy End, why should they have to move from somewhere where they have a very good view to where its pretty crappy at the bottom of the Chaddy just so people can stand up when, like it or not standing is not allowed inside the ground and people know that when they pay to get in. And someone mentioned that those with young families should go and sit in the main stand but it was (i think) 3 times more expensive to buy a childs season ticket, im sure when i looked into it it was £150 for my nephews in the lower tier of the main stand whereas it was £50 in the Chaddy end and the Rochdale rd end. The club have not said that we can not sing and create and atmosphere but several people do go over the top at football sometimes, from where i sit in the main stand i saw several people get knocked over on Saturday just so people could charge over to the Millwall supporters(and vice versa) just so they could shout abuse and throw things and on Tues at Rochdale several people charged to the front for the penaltys pushing over kids (someone almost knocked my 7 year old nephew to the floor) and again standing directly in front of at least one wheelchair so they couldnt see. I'm sure most people who do those things at football matches wouldnt do that outside a football stadium (but sadly im sure some do) so why do people think its acceptable at a football match? I dont think the club is trying to get rid of the atmosphere at matches, the statement seems to have come from the police more than the club, and are not trying to take away anyones fun but they do seem to be saying just be a little curtious to those around you which is fair enough but the club should also have organised things a little better themselves, i dont like the idea of specific singing sections but there should be a family section in the ground

I think some of the people who were acting like idiots inside the football stadium were doing the same outside as well unfortunatley. I dont think that any disabled person should have to move stands, but the club should provide areas for them to watch the match where they dont have the issue of people standing up in front of them. So on that point its bad planning. Also the club mucked up by trying to get families to go in the rocky. I think most of the people on here also know when to draw the line on the whole and are not arguing that some of the scallies were in the right for being idiots. As for the statement, I think it would be good if we knew the Club and the police were taking the problems we have on board and maybe consulting on how we can improve things. THis is probably as good as forum as anywhere else to do this and even in the most stupidest sounding rants there are good points to be made.

Best atmosphere in 15 years only becuase we came back from 3-1 down. 20/25 mins into the second half it was rubbish ..... when the team needed the fans they were silent and myself included. Coming back from 3-1 to win is a very rare occasion

The situation in Georgia is a complete one off. The Russians should be allowed to continue to break International law because no-one cared about Georgia before the Georgians complained. OK, fair enough, it's the Georgians country, i can accept that but let's face it, the Russians are in the majority in that part of the world, so surely it would be wrong to apply the law ?

But it's clear that the russians would like to control the pipe line through Georgia, either by taking over the country or putting pressure on the Georgian goverment so that a pro Russian goverment could be elected.

But whats Alan Hardy's stance on this?

I've heard absolutely nothing from the club whatsoever (and I subscribe to Latics World). :mad::angry:

The situation in Georgia is a complete one off. The Russians should be allowed to continue to break International law because no-one cared about Georgia before the Georgians complained. OK, fair enough, it's the Georgians country, i can accept that but let's face it, the Russians are in the majority in that part of the world, so surely it would be wrong to apply the law ?

But Georgia itself in it's modern form is only a creation of the Soviet tyranny. Just as Georgia itself seceded from the USSR, so should Ossetia and tother one be allowed to secede from Georgia. Of course if you take this down to it's logical conclusion you are left with indivividual liberty, in which people would be free to make whatever voluntaristic associations they wished, causing (by a spontaneous order thather than any overarching design) such arrangements as areas for people who swear and shout at football matches or groups with people who liked to stay seated and watch the game in a quieter area.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reviled

I don't think that was quite the reaction they were looking for!

Good move by Latics though, with hindsight perhaps this should have been done in the Summer but full marks for responding so quickly.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron has jumped on this bandwaggon:

Sit down and stop swearing

Reporter: Richard Hooton

Date online: 15/08/2008

Latics’ family fans upset by abuse

FOUL-mouthed fans and persistent standing have led to families walking out of Latics matches — and could result in parts of Boundary Park being closed.

Club bosses have appealed to supporters to be better behaved after police insisted on extra segregation that will lead to the capacity being reduced and cost them vital revenue.

The swearing reached fever pitch against Millwall on Saturday with families with young children leaving the ground before the thrilling match had even got to half-time.

A dramatic, last-gasp 4-3 victory was marred by a torrent of foul and abusive language in the Rochdale Road stand and persistent standing.

If the problem persists then even harsher restrictions will follow, which could lead to higher police charges or even closure of parts of the ground.

Oldham Athletic chiefs fear the behaviour is ruining their image as a family club. Persistent standing also prevents wheelchair users from being able to see the game.

Chief executive Alan Hardy said it was unfortunate that the first game of the season was against Millwall, whose fans have a notorious record for misbehaviour.

Police have asked for 10 seats on either side of opposition supporters to be blocked off, which will reduce capacity by 600 seats.

The club is also trying to identify a new area for families to go after losing the Broadway stand during the redevelopment of the ground.

Mr Hardy said fans standing throughout the game at the all-seater stadium was the main problem.

He added: “If the club does not react to it we are concerned the relevant authorities will take action that will be out of the club’s hands.

“We know fans will stand up and cheer their team on, it’s just the persistent standing. We also appeal to fans to try to keep the language clean.”

I'm confused as to what this has to do with Georgia and cant be arsed reading through to discover the link but come on, they got the beating they deserved. Lots of innocent people died because of the rank stupidity of their leaders. What on earth were they thinking? Dangerous b'tards.

Right, here goes. I emailed Alan Hardy as soon as i read the article on the website, and to my surprise he rang me on my mobile the next morning (Thursday) to talk through my points. I have to say that i was really impressed in him for doing that, and i'll post my original email below & then tell you about the main points of our conversation. [i haven't been able to post sooner due to work commitments FYI]

Alan,

I feel compelled to write to you in regards to the article that has appeared on the official site today.

As a season ticket holder of 11 years in the old Lookers paddock, I have re-located this season to the RRE end; as was encouraged by the club with the discounted rate and the calls to make the RRE the new ‘home end’. So, on Saturday my mate Phil & I found our new seats in readiness for the first game of the season. Having met a number of fans at the Masters games at the MEN, both Phil & I were aware pre-game that we had got seats in the area where the drum would be. To say we were hesitant as to what the atmosphere / drum noise would be like would be true; but what we experienced was the best home game atmosphere I have been apart of in 15+ years of watching Latics.

Far from killing the chants & becoming a noisy nuisance; we actually really enjoyed the drum being there to whip up the atmosphere. The singing from our section was non-stop & the backing the team got throughout was amazing to be apart of.

Yes, there was standing in a section & yes, I guess the language was ‘tasty’ at some points – but we are watching a game of football at the end of the day; not the theatre or the ballet!

I find it almost laughable that some of our fans would prefer to walk out of a game they have already paid for; than simply to look for a new seat slightly away from the drum/singers/away fans. The stand is a big one, not all seats are reserved & there is plenty of room to accommodate everyone – from the sit down/non singers to the drum & chanting brigade.

The one point I do agree with is the affect the standing in particular affecting the disabled fans. That should of course be looked into – now I’m no stadium engineer; but I would have thought a raised area for wheelchairs would be a solution to this problem??

As for the police having to look into ways of segregating the home & away fans – a point that cannot be overlooked in this matter is the simple fact that we were playing Millwall, whose supporters are nothing short of a bunch of animals; lower than low the lot of them I’m afraid! I seriously don’t think we will see anything of the like we did on Saturday, away fan wise, again this season, as they are simply a one off in this league. Yes, Huddersfield, Leeds & Leicester will bring a few – but there fans will be nothing like those of Millwall.

I would be really disappointed if, as of the article, overzealous stewarding & policing becomes a regular occurrence in the RRE, and those attempting to create an atmosphere at BP & actually get behind the team in a positive way are now the targets for a form of persecution. I know that may seem a bit strong, but I know I would prefer to have people around me singing Latics songs, cheering on the team & creating an atmosphere rather than sat moaning & slagging of the players as seems to be the want of a number of our more ‘seasoned watchers’.

Again, I’m no stadium expert, but could a ‘family area’ be created in one of the stands – either the far end of the RRE, one of the far sections of the Chaddy or the whole of the main stand for example. Then people with young kids, older fans & people who object (as many have it would appear!) to drumming & singing can all sit together away from those fans trying to turn home games into an event again??

Just a thought, and obviously I’m coming at this from the side of singer myself, but I have to say that the article on the website has got to me today & as such I’ve penned this email.

Thanks for taking the time to read this Alan

Yours

Rob Lord

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIGHT, now for the main points from Alan's call to me.

Firstly, he reads OWTB and is aware of the reaction on here, which he feels is people getting the wrong end of the stick (that was as of about 9.30am yesterday when he rang me)

He said that the club was compelled to post on this matter, to be seen to be being proactive on it, as the police are heavily involved in the issues raised. If they hadn't posted the article, they would have given the impression of not acting out to both the police & the FA (through their new Respect campaign).

He said all the directors / management team & the players were made up with saturdays atmosphere, he agreed with me as to it being one of the best home game atmospheres in years. He also made the point that the club does not & is not wanting to 'kill' the atmosphere / singing / chanting - in fact they ideally want us to all carry on singing & supporting the club all season, as the players really to take to it!

The main point he wanted to get across was that it isn't the club being killjoys on this, the police & their safety officers have had a major imput in this matter - and that the club has been told that if the home vs away fans 'incidents' (pie throwing / bottles / physical threats etc) continue then the police will enforce an area of segregation between the fans.

This will be 10 seats into the away & 10 seats into the home end. Alan was at pains to stress the loss of venue that this will cause, he said upwards of £1500 for big games - as these seats will be covered with a mess canvas (also will have to bought).

He also agreed with me that Millwall will hopefully be a one-off in terms of the aggresiveness between there fans & ours, and that in time (think he put it at 5-6 games) that the RRE will settle down as people get used to it etc.

He also answered my questions on the raised platform for the disabled fans - that isn't feasible as their accress all has to be on the same level, from outside the ground to their seats. The new 'main stand' whn it is build will have "state of the art" facilities for our disabled fans; but until then, the RRE area is still going to be used for them. Also, in survey, our facilities for disabled fans came out really well; so they're obvioulsly not too shabby. Its specificly people constantly standing up that is the problem as it really does restrict the view of our disabled fans.

Finally he said that the directors would be discussing the forming of a family area asap - potentially in the chaddy end at the old lookers end; but nothing had been set in stone on that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think that was all the main points we talked about.

I was really impressed he took the time out to ring me and talk through with me the club position, and i think we really do have a family club here when the Chief Exec takes the time to call up a fan in person to discuss club matters.

I'm happy enough that i feel now the singing & drumming etc from last saturday will not be attempted to be stopped, all the club want from us a bit of co-operation in terms of the constant standing (which is illegal & they get in real trouble if they fail to act on) & the 'over the top' language - they know its the football & swearing happens, they just want us to tone it down a tad.

Hope that sheds a bit of light on this - sorry i've only just posted this - as i said, work commitments meant that this is the first available time i've had to do it.

Cheers,

Slystallone