Corney's latest statement

you're talking about re-locating for a better job/more money/firm closes down so can't do your job in this area anymore aren't you? yes, I know loads of people who've done that - myself and my dad included.

the other bloke was talking about "moving away to find work" which I read as leaving Oldham, bags packed for streets paved with gold Dick Whittington style.

Oldham as a town is dead... The majority of jobs are either in shops or warehouses.... Mostly manual work... We dont have any real business parks and we have very few companies in the town offering highly skilled jobs... My business is software / web application development and I only know one company in Oldham that offers any real work in this area...

If you fancy a picker packer job then Oldham is an ideal place to seattle with all the catalogues being repersented in Oldham... Aint much else though :D

We have a pritty succesful college in Oldham.... Although due to the councils narrow sightedness, all this succesful college is doing is providing other towns with talented skilled workers... Meanwhile Oldhams problem continue....

The council need to invest in Business Parks like are neighboruing towns have done... Give people a reason to live in Oldham... Instead of seeing it as something to escape...

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I would call that a large amount of young kids leaving the town... I wonder how many actually return and stay in Oldham... Looking at my facebook contacts not many have there location down as Oldham....

regardless, whether there're 500 or 2000 of them the crowd doesn't drop by 500 or 2000 every year due to their exodus. 10-20 probably. 100 at most. and they'll be replaced by 10-100 12 to 15 yr olds i reckon.

neither your exiled intelligentsia (I bet i've spelt that wrong) nor diego's 60-64 yr old blue rinse army are the solution to/cause of this problem.

Oldham as a town is dead... The majority of jobs are either in shops or warehouses.... Mostly manual work... We dont have any real business parks and we have very few companies in the town offering highly skilled jobs... My business is software / web application development and I only know one company in Oldham that offers any real work in this area...

If you fancy a picker packer job then Oldham is an ideal place to seattle with all the catalogues being repersented in Oldham... Aint much else though :D

We have a pritty succesful college in Oldham.... Although due to the councils narrow sightedness, all this succesful college is doing is providing other towns with talented skilled workers... Meanwhile Oldhams problem continue....

The council need to invest in Business Parks like are neighboruing towns have done... Give people a reason to live in Oldham... Instead of seeing it as something to escape...

Perhaps Rochdale's Kingsway development will be just what we need - or will that make the Dale the side to watch?

Guest oa_exile
Thanks OA. An interesting article but there are two basic points which my small brain seems to fix on. First, this model is based on a period of economic stability. This has clearly changed. Second, without decrying what is a theoretical, academic model, to be honest it is simply stating the obvious. Not much help and, to be fair, it's not meant to be in terms of what we've been discussing.

Still, as I say, my limited brain power may have missed something. :blush:

Nah, that's about the long and the short of it.

So on a pass grade of A to F will give it a D :grin: , a possible C if God lends a hand in a re-sit :lol:

regardless, whether there're 500 or 2000 of them the crowd doesn't drop by 500 or 2000 every year due to their exodus. 10-20 probably. 100 at most. and they'll be replaced by 10-100 12 to 15 yr olds i reckon.

neither your exiled intelligentsia (I bet i've spelt that wrong) nor diego's 60-64 yr old blue rinse army are the solution to/cause of this problem.

You think abit one dimensional...

Not saying that this is the only issue... Its just one issue...

You get a kid intrested but kids dont make football club money, only when they start paying adult prices do they help the club... If they arent coming back after Uni then it dosent matter if you have another 100 to replace them, likely hood is we will lose them when they are adults...

The problem goes further than uni students as previous stated....

Edited by oafc0000

Im not one to point out spelling and grammer mistakes on here seeing as there is little point and I probably make plenty myself but please, please stop spelling 'pretty' with an i.....you use the word often and it's doing my head in.

It's almost as upsetting to me as when Latics loose!!!!

:)

Im not one to point out spelling and grammer mistakes on here seeing as there is little point and I probably make plenty myself but please, please stop spelling 'pretty' with an i.....you use the word often and it's doing my head in.

I love free will it allows me to say this....No....I will do what I like... The fact it does your head in is a bonus :)

Always best to spell grammar correctly when correcting others ...

Grammer?

:wink:

Loose?

Edited by Ketsbaia

Ok I'l just take solice in having made you look a little silly.....shame I didnt get my :whoosh: ......it was probably too subtle for you though I suppose.

:lol:

Hardly... I think you look silly expecting people to spell check their posts :) Its forum for gods sake :P

By the way... I think you should spell check your own posts :D

Who looks a silly billy now :)

Edited by oafc0000

Always best to spell grammar correctly when correcting others ...

Errrmmm....it was a typo.....

Ok I'l give you that one........:censored:. :blush:

Loose?

But not that one! :grin:

:whoosh:

Ok I'l just take solice in having made you look a little silly.....shame I didnt get my :whoosh: ......it was probably too subtle for you though I suppose.

:lol:

Im not anal enough or as petty as you to concern myself with such pointless issues such as spelling and grammar in someone’s post. Im more interested in what they have to say.... :)

Hey! All this grammar correcting is supposed to be left to professional peddents like Diego and me.

:cardinal:

Mr Corney spitting out his dummy again? It's not like we are not used to it!

I agree with some, that this may be just an excuse for letting a player go, when common sense says we shouldn't. It would be nice if he just said that too good an offer has come in and we are accepting it. No problem, that's the type of club we are and let's get on with it.

It will probably be Taylor, I just hope it's not Lee Hughes.

And, yes, the crowd last weekend was never going to be a high turn out and in all honesty, I would expect our gates to be lower this season because of the loss of the stand and the relatively high cost of attending when everyone is feeling the pinch of the increased cost of living. We aren't the only club in this league with rubbish attendances and at least we've got the excuse of having our illustrious neighbours to lure away the glory seeking public.

You’ve been quiet Kets, are you stepping back into your Arch-Pedant role to cover for Mr Tulsehill and his forthcoming holiday?

Been busy, squire. But I will pop my head over the parapet occasionally, especially if it's to point out some good, old-fashioned hubris.