Corney's latest statement

When the govenment set the target for 50% of all kids to go to university...

There is an arguement for viewpoints here, if you never went to college uni/you probably think that not many people do, however... how many people are at Oldham 6th form... 2000??? With the ease you can get into uni these days, to do practically anything... loads of those will bugger off to get hammered for 3 years.... thats 1000 odd there, and not to mention all the other 6th forms/colleges in the area... its a fair whack...

And that is just people who go to uni... never mind move away fror job opportunities... you have to accept that kids are moving away much more commonly these days, and leaving thier local teams behind... some are stupid enough to make the journey back every week (!!) but others may need a little push... which a 10 game pack or whatever would achieve...

Thats me at the moment but thats currently under review :lol:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the govenment set the target for 50% of all kids to go to university...

There is an arguement for viewpoints here, if you never went to college uni/you probably think that not many people do, however... how many people are at Oldham 6th form... 2000??? With the ease you can get into uni these days, to do practically anything... loads of those will bugger off to get hammered for 3 years.... thats 1000 odd there, and not to mention all the other 6th forms/colleges in the area... its a fair whack...

And that is just people who go to uni... never mind move away fror job opportunities... you have to accept that kids are moving away much more commonly these days, and leaving thier local teams behind... some are stupid enough to make the journey back every week (!!) but others may need a little push... which a 10 game pack or whatever would achieve...

Believe the government say the current figure is around 35% of under 40's have attended University. Day release and the fact most colleges are affiliated with university's bump this up a little.

But working at a university ......... I can confirm anyone can get into them these days and most leave with a minimum of 40K debt... I know two personally on over 70K in debt at 21!!

As for many Oldhamers moving away after university I would hazed the guess that the porportion who never go back is quite high. We live in a society that as moved around more than ever before.

Running OASIS you do find a number of current / ex students who live not only in London, but around the country.

Some travel around like me more than oftern, some occasionally when in London ... some give up altogether.

I was one of those that went to the odd London game, but at Millwall a number of years ago meet up with the OASIS lads. Once I realised that others travelled as oftern as they do to games there was no stopping me. It's time consuming and can be expensive, but whilst I can afford to do it I will.

I must add not all of us were students though, it a good mixture.

Numbers are steady and we are getting a new crop of supporters joining us each year. Unfortunately once people settle down, getting married and once you start having kids it impossible to get to anything other than local (for us) games.

We're as many supporters followed their parents team and was taken as a child to matches, a large chuck of my generation now live away from Oldham (me a Dale lad anyway and that was hard enough to get to games) and our kids are likely to choose other teams and the 'lets pop along to Latics' sat son wouldn't happen.

Would I force my childs born near another team, lets say Leyton, from supporting their local club if they wanted to .......... you bet your life I would.

Yes, I can't argue with that, it must be a factor. There are those that say LW is expensive enough as it is, these are either the ones who don't subscribe or those who go to games already. They try to make it as flexible as possible with the variations in the subscriptions, but I agree with increasing the cost, but only in light of the increasing quality and service it is providing. I'm like you though Stitch, TV or not, LW or not, I'd be there.

And good on ya......in the meantime you'l just have to cope with live commentary from the warmth of home with half an hours highlights to follow 24 hours later. All for circa £1 a game.....you're saving a fortune mate! Anybody more local to Oldham who takes advantage of this must be mad! :wink:

532 kids a year leaving the town every year is a resonable chunk... Maybe not a big chunk i will conceed that....

Out of that 532 I bet the vast majority never return to Oldham... I no I didnt... (well I did but i moved within a year)

The wider point was about young people in Oldham leaving the town and not coming back.... Its not something that just effects people that go to uni... The number of jobs in oldham is low..... People are moving away to find work...

532 18 year olds is a tiny percentage of the 18 year olds in oldham

out of those probably 10-20 might go to Latics on a regular basis.

the number of jobs in Oldham has always been low in comparison to many other areas of the country.

i don't know anyone who's "moved away" to find work, ever (???)

Believe the government say the current figure is around 35% of under 40's have attended University. Day release and the fact most colleges are affiliated with university's bump this up a little.

But working at a university ......... I can confirm anyone can get into them these days and most leave with a minimum of 40K debt... I know two personally on over 70K in debt at 21!!

Really....

I have no idea how the are running up such large debts :) (well I do ....)

I left with 12k of debt and I had zero support of my parents. The only difference now from when I was there is that the uni's can charge up to £3k tution fees. When I was there it was capped at £1k...which I didnt have to pay all of because it was means tested.

I now earn £65k to £85k depending on the climate... Well worth it from my point of view...

Even if I came out with £40k worth of debit I reckon it would of still been worth it all.....

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
I moved away from Oldham 30 years ago. My son & I both have season tickets and return for almost every game.

Think people would be surprised the amount of Oldham Exiles that actually do go and watch the Latics.

If TTA knew what % of the regulars at BP are not "Locals" then they would blow a gasket :)

the number of jobs in Oldham has always been low in comparison to many other areas of the country.

I don't know anyone who's "moved away" to find work, ever (???)

Well I actually know about 15 lads that used to come but didnt after university due to moving away.... So looks like its only all my mates that went to Uni going off your fantastic numbers :lol:

I also know lots of people that dont live in oldham any more becasue of work.....

Edited by oafc0000

Think people would be surprised the amount of Oldham Exiles that actually do go and watch the Latics.

If TTA knew what % of the regulars at BP are not "Locals" then they would blow a gasket :)

Does Warrington make me an Exile...its fooking £8 or so on the train plus £3+ on the bus :(

That is bang on. If you add in those that have never lived in Oldham the percentage would shock quite a few I'd say.

I moved away from Oldham 30 years ago. My son & I both have season tickets and return for almost every game.

Good on ya, like a few other Tics I know. But will your son do the same with his kids? Hope he does but sometimes circumstances prevent this.

Guest oa_exile
Does Warrington make me an Exile...its fooking £8 or so on the train plus £3+ on the bus :(

You are not reading my posts correctly today , I said "Locals" :( so how can someone commuting from Warrington be classed as a "Local" ?

I give up :dead:

I dont think it helps that Boundary Park is difficult to get to by public transport, it's not like Stockport/Bolton/Wigan/Crewe where you can jump on a train and it will take you to most areas of the country. As for the busses the only one I know that go near BP is the 409 and the 181

Guest oa_exile
That is bang on. If you add in those that have never lived in Oldham the percentage would shock quite a few I'd say.

Thanks Lags ,now can you explain that to oafc0000 please :disappointed:

i don't know anyone who's "moved away" to find work, ever (???)

Really?

I could probably name 100 of the top of my head from the people I knew at School.... I can honestly only think of 1 person who is still at home after going to college... and he is a Huddersfield Fan!

75% of those people i'd say went to London, and even if they aint still there, they bloody didnt go back to Oldham...

Also, this is getting into an arguement seperate from this thread... but its not just 532 - that is just from one college... never mind all the others... the real number I'd reckon would be nearer 2000... every year, without fail.... and most wont return... or follow a local club after 3 years at uni...

Have to say, I nearly stopped following latics during my time at uni, had a lot to do with Warnock being the manager and us playing bilge, but it nearly happened... sure it does for loads of other people...

patronising tw@t

Not what I meant at all... I barely know anytone who left school and got a job straight-away, but that is just my viewpoint... the same would be for someone who did leave school and got a job... just different circles of friends, and that is not patronising, it is just a social fact...

Edited by BigfinLatic

You are not reading my posts correctly today , I said "Locals" :( so how can someone commuting from Warrington be classed as a "Local" ?

I give up :dead:

??

You said people would be surprised how many Oldham exiles come to the game...

I was just asking if Warrington would class me as an excile... I think its you thats read me wrong :)

Hi All , first post on here.

I may have missed some posts on this so apologies if I'm going over old ground but Simon's comments have definitely raised a response!

Some great ideas on this tread that hopefully the club will look at. My personal opinion is that Simon is attempting to whip up some more support but i feel this message could have come across in a more positive fashion (in a look what your missing out on...after all we are top of the league!)

These first few games were never going to be great attendances with people on holiday and some may not be paid untill the end of the month - after all of August trying keep their kids entertained.

One think that I don’t think has been mentioned that has hit our attendances (maybe not this weekend) is the fact that so many pubs are getting away with showing 3pm kick offs on a foreign channel that as far as i know is still illegal (please correct me if I’m wrong). Its common knowledge in Denton a lot a pubs have games on at 3pm and some even advertise this fact. I used to know plenty of City/Utd fans who would come to Oldham for a match if they were away from home but now they can have a few beers in the pub and watch them on foreign TV.

If the owners can hang in there over the next few months, for what its worth I reckon attendances will come up to 6000+ by end of October...if we can keep this team together. The feel good factor around the club will just take a little time to wake up the town....and if the club can get their marketing and PR machine even close to the level of football we're playing at the moment then we really could be going places!!

I dont think it helps that Boundary Park is difficult to get to by public transport, it's not like Stockport/Bolton/Wigan/Crewe where you can jump on a train and it will take you to most areas of the country. As for the busses the only one I know that go near BP is the 409 and the 181

To get from Warrington to BP is a mission....

Bus from house to Warrington town centre... (£2 ish)

Walk from town centre to train statation...

then train to manchester.... (about £7.50 ish)

then walk from train station to bus stop....

bus from manchester to oldham town centre (£3 ish)

and then walk from town centre to the pub....followed by beer (£££££££££££££ :lol:)

Takes ages....

Edited by oafc0000

One think that I don’t think has been mentioned that has hit our attendances (maybe not this weekend) is the fact that so many pubs are getting away with showing 3pm kick offs on a foreign channel that as far as i know is still illegal (please correct me if I’m wrong). Its common knowledge in Denton a lot a pubs have games on at 3pm and some even advertise this fact. I used to know plenty of City/Utd fans who would come to Oldham for a match if they were away from home but now they can have a few beers in the pub and watch them on foreign TV.

It's like that all over the shot, speaking to someone in Glossop he says the rule is they cant officially advertise the fixture, but they are allowed to have a board on the front advertising 'Live Football 3pm Saturday'

To get from Warrington to BP is a mission....

Bus from house to Warrington town centre... (£2 ish)

Walk from town centre to train statation...

then train to manchester.... (about £7.50 ish)

then walk from train station to bus stop....

bus from manchester to town centre (£3 ish)

and then walk from town centre to the pub....followed by beer (£££££££££££££ :lol:)

Takes ages....

same with Glossop, if I was to go to a game by public transport it would consist of

walk to station....20 minutes

train to Piccadilly..... 40 minutes (3 quid)

walk to bus stop.... 10 minutes

bus to Chadderton....40 minutes (another 3 quid)

walk to BP (or pub nearby).... 10 minutes

so if I want to get there in good time and to sample pre match atmosphere that means I have to leave my house at 12pm, whereas if I went to Stockport, it would mean me paying just 1 quid more for the train and taking an hour less, hence why most of my mates support County instead of Latics