Corney's latest statement

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not anal enough or as petty as you to concern myself with such pointless issues such as spelling and grammar in someone’s post. Im more interested in what they have to say.... :)

Oh god just square off you lamo....

Solice?

:wink:

Good god ive blown it havent I.....I even considered that one :disappointed:

Il be back in a week or so.......all because I spelt grammar with an e.

.... and back on track....

Just watching Big league Weekend 2 - which I Sky+'ed...

Even mentioned Corneys' statement on there, as detracting from Oldham being top of the league - 'the chief' big Wayne Allison agreeing that it is not good for the fans, and doesnt do the club any favours...

Well done Simon, even takes the shine of seeing us on the TV! ... and now every other fan will be looking at us as easy pickings...

... if you ever wanted to advertise our players as for sale, thats the way to do it Mr Corney....

Edited by BigfinLatic

Really....

I have no idea how the are running up such large debts :) (well I do ....)

I left with 12k of debt and I had zero support of my parents. The only difference now from when I was there is that the uni's can charge up to £3k tution fees. When I was there it was capped at £1k...which I didnt have to pay all of because it was means tested.

I now earn £65k to £85k depending on the climate... Well worth it from my point of view...

Even if I came out with £40k worth of debit I reckon it would of still been worth it all.....

Are you a farmer? :grin:

Yes, I can't argue with that, it must be a factor. There are those that say LW is expensive enough as it is, these are either the ones who don't subscribe or those who go to games already. They try to make it as flexible as possible with the variations in the subscriptions, but I agree with increasing the cost, but only in light of the increasing quality and service it is providing. I'm like you though Stitch, TV or not, LW or not, I'd be there.

LW is getting better every year but it will never replace being there. I loved the extended Leeds highlights with LW commentary. Much better than listening to some southerner nonce doing it "after the fact"..

Now if they could only show live TV over the web with LW commentary... I'd pay a fiver a month for that... :grin:

Really....

I have no idea how the are running up such large debts :) (well I do ....)

I left with 12k of debt and I had zero support of my parents. The only difference now from when I was there is that the uni's can charge up to £3k tution fees. When I was there it was capped at £1k...which I didnt have to pay all of because it was means tested.

I now earn £65k to £85k depending on the climate... Well worth it from my point of view...

Even if I came out with £40k worth of debit I reckon it would of still been worth it all.....

I am sure they would be pleased, what about spending on board and lodging from 0-18, including the through O levels and A levels when you ate through house and home. Comes to more than our new stand I reckon :wink:

totally agree with corney. less than 5000 for a town of our size is pretty poor. coupled with the fact that they've been badly hit by the loss of interest by developers wanting to take on the surplus BP land and the general loss of sponsership due to the economic squeeze, TTA have been badly hit - they don't have to lose their money every season you know?!

hope is on the horizon, city may well have to sell micah richards soon and then we will suddenly be quids in, and all this will be forgotten. we can only hope for the demise of chinwater.

I am sure they would be pleased, what about spending on board and lodging from 0-18, including the through O levels and A levels when you ate through house and home. Comes to more than our new stand I reckon :wink:

I paid board and lodging during college :)

I dont need you to tell me have much I owe my parents thank you... Im just saying im not one of these lucky :censored: that parents but them through uni....

So if our poor attendances can be put down in part to young Oldhamers leaving the area after higher education how come similar sized towns with football clubs that haven't had that much more success than us over the last 25 years i.e Barnsley, Burnley, Preston, Huddersfield be much better supported than us ? You can't tell me that these towns offer more to young people than Oldham. We live 8 miles from the centre of the UK's second largest conurbation - whether Oldham is 'dead' or not, our location throws up a mass of opportunities for both the highly qualified/skilled and not so highly qualified/skilled. Outside the South East, there probably isn't area with as many opportunities closeby as we in this area are fortunate to have. Most of my pals have been to uni and most have come back to live in Oldham/Rochdale boroughs and got very decent jobs.

Our poor support really comes down to this - most Oldhamers/Rochdalians/Ashtonians are brought up by their parents as Man U or City fans. We never really get a chance to attract these kids.

Edited by Yard Dog

Unfortunately, last night's result will not have persauded many to come back.

But I am pleased we went out, even if Burnley get a good draw in the next round. In fact especially if Burnley get a good draw-it sidetracks from the single aim this season.

Sustained run at the top is what we need to get the crowds back, followed by exciting games like Millwall and Leeds.

Got a feeling we won't win v Colchester. Not that ther is shame in that, just the roller coaster that is Latics, and the lack of momentum to buidl the support.

From tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Future of the squad is in the public’s hands — Latics director

Reporter: Michael Yarwood

Date online: 25/08/2008

MANAGING director Simon Corney has issued a stark warning that cash-strapped Athletic may be forced to sell one of their star players.

Mr Corney admitted he was “gutted and upset” to see a crowd of only 4,673 for Saturday’s game with Cheltenham — and he said the lack of support could cost Athletic a chance of promotion.

He said: “This is something I need to talk about because it’s vital to the future and central to our hopes of reaching the Championship.

“We’ve put together a good squad of players, headed by a good management team, but we simply cannot sustain it with attendances like this.

“I understand it’s expensive, people are struggling and others might be on holiday but, seriously, the future of this squad is completely in the hands of the public.

“There are no worries about the club itself because we’ve engineered it so there won’t be any danger, but our destiny is not in our own hands.

“We beat Cheltenham with a fantastic performance, but the shine was taken off when a crowd of 4,600 was announced.

“It was very, very disappointing. I was gutted and upset, and I just wish the peripheral fans realised we have been backed into a corner.

“The way things are, we can’t keep our squad going on such low gates and we’ve got no choice but to look at other ways of raising money.

“We are doing all we can to hold on to our players, but it’s a genuine and major concern because we can’t keep doing that forever.

“In the budget we allow ourselves to lose a lot of money by getting crowds of between 5,500 and 6,000. We actually need 7,500 to break even, but 6,000 is manageable — the figure on Saturday definitely wasn’t.

“In no way am I pouring cold water on a great start to the season. It has been tremendous and I know some people will say I’m being negative, but I’m afraid it’s the truth.

“Keeping this team and squad together is dependent on people attending games. I’m not screaming and shouting about it, I just want everyone to realise our situation.

“If 1,000 more fans came through the turnstiles we could cover half of our weekly losses (of around £15,000) and maybe even bring more players in.

“We won our first two league games, including a great victory at Leeds, and then only 4,600 turned up here the following week. We have a very good team this season and, for many reasons, I hope people come along to see it.”

Athletic’s average league gate last term was 5,327 — a 16-per-cent drop on the previous year and their lowest since 2000/2001.

They have turned down several bids for players but don’t have another home match before the transfer window shuts next week.

Athletic defender Paul Black (18) has joined Barrow, of the Blue Square Premier, in a one-month loan deal.

Still not a hint of the Corney outburst on the official site...makes you think that it's the rarely wrong Chron taking his words out of context. I'm very suspicious that nothings appeared on the OS or that there's been no comment from the club!

Still not a hint of the Corney outburst on the official site...makes you think that it's the rarely wrong Chron taking his words out of context. I'm very suspicious that nothings appeared on the OS or that there's been no comment from the club!

But like I think I said further up the thread it was highlighted on The Rev and even on a Sky Sports programme somebody said.

Whether he should have said it or not fact is he has done and we should just move on. Tomorrows chip paper and all that......although it does seem a little threatening. The real world can be.......

Low attendences = greater losses = necessary sale of assets

We cant say he didnt warn us, and it is his 'business'. Although as has been pointed out at length the Cheltenham/Summertime factors could have been considered and it seems strange to say it without another game before the window shuts. Im sure he has since considered this.

I am confident no sale will be made by the end of the month, at least not at any cut price.

KTF!

But like I think I said further up the thread it was highlighted on The Rev and even on a Sky Sports programme somebody said.

Whether he should have said it or not fact is he has done and we should just move on. Tomorrows chip paper and all that......although it does seem a little threatening. The real world can be.......

Low attendences = greater losses = necessary sale of assets

We cant say he didnt warn us, and it is his 'business'. Although as has been pointed out at length the Cheltenham/Summertime factors could have been considered and it seems strange to say it without another game before the window shuts. Im sure he has since considered this.

I am confident no sale will be made by the end of the month, at least not at any cut price.

KTF!

Unless it's JP Kalalalalala

I'm not. I've noticed how since the Chron-Latics link up they've been getting a bit more news that's not being dished out on the OS after the Chron has gone to print. I think this is something relatively exclusive for the Chron and boy, it's got people talking about it. Also...I think if it wasn't true or was words taken out of context, the OS would've leapt straight onto it. A bit like they did to clear up comments the Chron made regarding our dealings with Hillstone when they bumped one of their companies.

Edited by boundaryblue80