Corney's latest statement

We did well with the Cup Run last year and along with the sale Of Neal we must have made £600 k plus. We didnt spend a bean of that on players only using some of it to bring down the NSM stand !

Didn't we spend some cash on O'Grady. Then we brought in Fleming who was wanted by other clubs (even began training with Crewe according to Saturday's programme). Maher and Whitaker were both wanted by other clubs. Not to mention no fee has yet been set for Dale Stephens. Also brought in Kieron Lee which some Championship fans were shocked at after his spell at QPR. Throw in some of that cash to offset the losses and it's all gone.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the innovation, pricing schemes etc that are needed? Earlier on this board I suggested a ten match ticket. Somebody else took this a step further and suggested the three match ticket. A "3 for £50" offer ensures that you get the fan for the next three games. Chuck in a few vouchers (e.g. 50p off a programme etc for each game) and you might be able to up your income in the ground. How many people see a good game, see a poor game and miss the next game? A 3 for £50 may just help!

This to me is a good idea. As we all know going to latics, or any club, entails seeing a number of poor games and a number of average games where the £20 doesnt seem value for money. Then a Millwall comes along and the cumalitive value of paying for and attending all these games becomes clear. The sweet doesnt taste so sweet without the sour (as I constanly repeat to Man Utd 'fans' who question why I would support Latics).

This is a big factor to be addressed when trying to attract/reattract fans.....and a 'bundle' ticket may do that. I seem to recall retaining some fans after 'Celebration Sunday' and the 'New Years Day Massacre'.

I forgot to add that 27 minutes of highlights on the new improved Latics World within 24 hours probably doesn't help attendances, and wont do going forward if it continues. As much as like the feature I think that is too much value for £4 a month!!

Obviously this is an observation not a complaint.

I might have missed this point, but adding to the posts about the credit crunch, the fact it's Cheltenham, and third week of the month, nad the other big games int he week is the fact that household food/energy.fuel prices have gone up by far more than £20 per forthnight (every two weeks a home game) Some have to amke that choice.

Interestingly, this week I was reading that TEsco's I think are doing far more promotions in the third week of the month on their value lines, as that is when household budgets are the tightest, to entice people into their stores.

Not criticising the TTA per se, they are heroes and deserve the new stand named after them at the very least (we want the money for the naming rights of the stadium! )but along with most others I wish these comments would come out as "please support us, and thanks to those of you that are hard core"" not rants.

3 for £50 packages (suggested):

Hereford, Scunthorpe, Yeovil (exclude Leicester)

Walsall, Brighton, Orient (I'd throw in a free kid's ticket for Orient given the proximity to Xmas)

Hartlepool, Swindon, Bristol Rovers (miss out the bank holiday games and Stockport)

I'd then review the need for this sort of offer based on attendances and league position.

If you can improve on the idea in a way that gets more fans without costing the club significant chunks of extra income, post it!

I Have to say, i have always thought there was an increasing number of exiles supporting this club - as you can tell from the board locations at the moment...

What happened to me and my bunch of friends is probably pretty typical, grew up supporting Oldham, and there was about 10 of us that went regularly... but then we all sod off to uni in far flung corners of the UK, none of us return to Oldham (most ending up in london)... and to my knowlege there is now only me that attends games, and not every home game at that...

Think this only adds to the problem - as kids are turn 18 going to uni is drummed down thier throats, and most once out of oldham dont return hom as the job opportunities ust aint there...

Its another problem, but the point is all these people still support Oldham - but wont pay for a season ticket, and many fancy turning up to the odd game - I think the idea of a 5/10 match ticket would work wonders, as so many fans in this bracket would get one and then use it or not... I know i would have bought a 10 match ticket in a shot, even at a slight discount, and maybe I wont even go to 10 home games this season... probably will, but who knows...

Add on option to get 'big game' tickets after the ST's but before the masses, and I think the 10 match ticket would be fantastic... As I say, I doubt I would even make 10 home games this season - but the TTA would still get £170-odd quid of my cash up-front...

I sort of agree with you dfOAFC - smaller clubs like Oldham have no other option than to sell their better players to make ends meet - but it will always be disappointing for the fans and the owners too to see these players move on.

However, what does annoy me a bit is when the owners start stamping their feet intimating that the fans aren't good enough because we're not putting enough money into the pot.

When Boundary Park is redeveloped and the housing development is completed, will they look at their profit account on Brassbank Ltd and say "the fans helped us make this money, we'll return the favour by giving them a cut of the deal... after all we did say we were all in it together".

Ha now call me a cynic but I can't see that happening ;)

By my back of fag packet calculations they are £8m for stadium, £400k average per season well over £10m in the red at the moment. So I don't think Coutts will be rushing to sign them up, even after the development. With the down-turn they will not be making mega bucks, and most of that was earmarked for LAtics rather than their own pocket.

I forgot to add that 27 minutes of highlights on the new improved Latics World within 24 hours probably doesn't help attendances, and wont do going forward if it continues. As much as like the feature I think that is too much value for £4 a month!!

Sorry I can't agree with thatone little bit! The subscriptions to LW are a guaranteed income to the club, with the high chance of continuous/rolling subscriptions. By offering such a good service it can only encourage more people to use it. Are you saying that the attendances are lower because some people choose to only use Latics World instead of go to the games? As an exile, it is a slight compensation, but it can hardly be used a replacement. Keep improving Latics World and you continue to feel part of the club, which can only be a good thing!

Guest oa_exile

Good ! remember you are not allowed to complain or you will be chucked out of the Happy Clapper brigade :grin: or even worse be made to sit with the moaners on match day as penance in repentance of your sins :)

I go to whatever games I can catch when I'm over, last season I got the Notts Forest & Walsall games over Christmas! :( First time I'd ever seen Ricketts play! If you gave me a choice of either 20quids worth of beer, or go and watch Latics then to me it's a no brainer....Latics every time, regardless of who we play or how we play.

The idea of a mini season ticket is a good one, especially for those who pick and choose which matches they go to, the club should consider giving this a trial run.

In a perfect world, the *evil* TV companies flooding the game with all this money would set aside a chunk of it to help bring down the cost of games, as even they do not like televising a game with a half empty stadium.

Sorry I can't agree with thatone little bit! The subscriptions to LW are a guaranteed income to the club, with the high chance of continuous/rolling subscriptions. By offering such a good service it can only encourage more people to use it. Are you saying that the attendances are lower because some people choose to only use Latics World instead of go to the games? As an exile, it is a slight compensation, but it can hardly be used a replacement. Keep improving Latics World and you continue to feel part of the club, which can only be a good thing!

No. I said it probably doesn't help. I couldnt go on Saturday as I was at a wedding....I wasn't as bothered as I would normally be in years gone by because I knew I would be able to watch extended highlights at any time which is convenient to me. Having done that I feel like I saw the game. Logic tells me that some floating fans decision of whether or not to attend may be swayed by the Latics World service. Saving £20, a Saturday afternoon and avoiding ice station zebra in the winter by watching 27 mins of highlights on Latics World, near enough for free, may appeal to these fans. Maybe not to diehards like myself who go even when we are on telly, and maybe not to exiles like you who must really appreciate the service given little alternative, but nevertheless to dismiss it as a factor is foolhardy. I know a fair few United/City fans who would go to the game if TV coverage wasnt readily available.....same scenario here to an extent.

Im not staying stop the service, its great. I say make it more expensive.....assuming 500 Latics World subscribers paying £4 a month equates to £2 profit/revenue to the club it would only take 50 not bothering turning up to nullify the money made. And that is on the assumption that they spend on money in the ground.

A minor factor yes, but a factor it is. I reckon anyway.....

Good ! remember you are not allowed to complain or you will be chucked out of the Happy Clapper brigade :grin: or even worse be made to sit with the moaners on match day as penance in repentance of your sins :)

Hence why I was at pains to point it out! Although I actually consider myself one of the rare breed who clap the good and make suggestions to improve/solve the bad or, in the case of some of the foolish moans I hear around BP, tell the whinger to F off! :shock:

No. I said it probably doesn't help. I couldnt go on Saturday as I was at a wedding....I wasn't as bothered as I would normally be in years gone by because I knew I would be able to watch extended highlights at any time which is convenient to me. Having done that I feel like I saw the game. Logic tells me that some floating fans decision of whether or not to attend may be swayed by the Latics World service. Saving £20, a Saturday afternoon and avoiding ice station zebra in the winter by watching 27 mins of highlights on Latics World, near enough for free, may appeal to these fans. Maybe not to diehards like myself who go even when we are on telly, and maybe not to exiles like you who must really appreciate the service given little alternative, but nevertheless to dismiss it as a factor is foolhardy. I know a fair few United/City fans who would go to the game if TV coverage wasnt readily available.....same scenario here to an extent.

Im not staying stop the service, its great. I say make it more expensive.....assuming 500 Latics World subscribers paying £4 a month equates to £2 profit/revenue to the club it would only take 50 not bothering turning up to nullify the money made. And that is on the assumption that they spend on money in the ground.

A minor factor yes, but a factor it is. I reckon anyway.....

Yes, I can't argue with that, it must be a factor. There are those that say LW is expensive enough as it is, these are either the ones who don't subscribe or those who go to games already. They try to make it as flexible as possible with the variations in the subscriptions, but I agree with increasing the cost, but only in light of the increasing quality and service it is providing. I'm like you though Stitch, TV or not, LW or not, I'd be there.

This Corney article has really grated on me. It's suicidal. In effect, you have slagged off the people who might have been thinking about coming to the next home game and have pretty much said it's their fault we're going to have to sell someone. Not a clever move.

I work in Blackburn, amongst plastic fans. United, Liverpool, West Ham. Ever since the season started, they are asking me about specific players. Ooo, we heard about Taylor - what's he like? Was it 4-0 on Saturday? Didn't Hughes get the hattrick? Was that the guy who was in prison?

People are talking about Latics. And this is in Blackburn. I'm sure the same will be happening in Oldham. People are starting to have a bit of something to boast about after the weekend, rather than keeping their heads down to avoid the micky taking.

Any non-regulars are going to come and see Taylor and Hughes and Whitaker and whoever else is being raved about at the time. The prospect of seeing another Hughes hattrick?? They will be there. But so will the local away fans. But this all takes time. And I fear Corney may well have shot himself in the foot with this one.

Edited by Jac

Commiserations havin to work with Blackburnians, I know your pain...been there and done it. Still the bright side is it could be worse, it could be workin 10 miles further East with the Dingles.

If the club needs to balance the books with a sale...who is to blame then?

Think this only adds to the problem - as kids are turn 18 going to uni is drummed down thier throats, and most once out of oldham dont return hom as the job opportunities ust aint there...

i think you're talking about a tiny, tiny minority of kids in oldham there.

i think you're talking about a tiny, tiny minority of kids in oldham there.

No your not.... You talking about a big chunk these days...

One of the issues Oldham is facing as a town is more and more of its young educated people moving away and never coming back....

Its a big problem for the town and is something of a problem for the club as well....

No your not.... You talking about a big chunk these days...

One of the issues Oldham is facing as a town is more and more of its young educated people moving away and never coming back....

Its a big problem for the town and is something of a problem for the club as well....

a "big chunk" of kids in Oldham go to University?

when did this start?

a "big chunk" of kids in Oldham go to University?

when did this start?

When the govenment set the target for 50% of all kids to go to university...

There is an arguement for viewpoints here, if you never went to college uni/you probably think that not many people do, however... how many people are at Oldham 6th form... 2000??? With the ease you can get into uni these days, to do practically anything... loads of those will bugger off to get hammered for 3 years.... thats 1000 odd there, and not to mention all the other 6th forms/colleges in the area... its a fair whack...

And that is just people who go to uni... never mind move away fror job opportunities... you have to accept that kids are moving away much more commonly these days, and leaving thier local teams behind... some are stupid enough to make the journey back every week (!!) but others may need a little push... which a 10 game pack or whatever would achieve...

Edited by BigfinLatic

no it's not (???)

532 kids a year leaving the town every year is a resonable chunk... Maybe not a big chunk i will conceed that....

Out of that 532 I bet the vast majority never return to Oldham... I no I didnt... (well I did but i moved within a year)

The wider point was about young people in Oldham leaving the town and not coming back.... Its not something that just effects people that go to uni... The number of jobs in oldham is low..... People are moving away to find work...