Setanta rant!

f 'em all off lads - stick a 1metre motorised monstrosity of a dish up, hook up with the dodgy satellite pirates and watch all you want. It'll pay for itself soon enough. You might lose your wife, the exterior of your house will look dreadful and you will automatically drop a social class or two but what does that matter when you can watch the Moroccan 2nd Division?

:laught30:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*cough cough* - I'm not sure what you're talking about.

p.s - I'll tell you summat though, there's summat wrong about some of that German stuff :wink:

If you get turned on by women doing the sort of things to a gentleman that a Rangers fan does in the streets of a welcoming city.

When us Virgin viewers lost a couple of channels from sky, i was a bit miffed not being able to

WATCH :wub: Georgie Thompson :wub: ,on SSP news but,

Setanta is very good.

Premier greed

England aways

German,French,Dutch footy

Confrence games

SPL and they have a good slice of the F.A cup this season as well.

NASN,Aussie rugby,UFC and their boxing coverage is free

It has Premiership and Conference, nowt in between. It's a tenner a month I think although you can cancel it whenever you like.

See it's not that easy to cancel. A lot have had problems with it. Just Google "Setanta cancellations".

Bloke at work has had some serious problems with them. Phoned up in May, I want to cancel. Yes Sir, no problem. Only they then took the next two payments out. So he phones up again. We need it in writing Sir. So he sends it via recorded delivery. He then gets a letter back saying it's 60 days notice needed to cancel (so in effect another two months on top of the two he has already paid for after ending the deal) as opposed to the 30 days his contract stated. Plus the payment for the next billing window it falls into.

So in effect he wanted to cancel in May. Reckons his last bill should have been May/June. Instead it will be October, possibly even November depending on how the date of the billing window, which coincidentally after his phone call to cancel, they amended. Just crazy.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

See it's not that easy to cancel. A lot have had problems with it. Just Google "Setanta cancellations".

Bloke at work has had some serious problems with them. Phoned up in May, I want to cancel. Yes Sir, no problem. Only they then took the next two payments out. So he phones up again. We need it in writing Sir. So he sends it via recorded delivery. He then gets a letter back saying it's 60 days notice needed to cancel (so in effect another two months on top of the two he has already paid for after ending the deal) as opposed to the 30 days his contract stated. Plus the payment for the next billing window it falls into.

So in effect he wanted to cancel in May. Reckons his last bill should have been May/June. Instead it will be October, possibly even November depending on how the date of the billing window, which coincidentally after his phone call to cancel, they amended. Just crazy.

EXACTLY! You hit the nail on the head there Royton. If anyone out there is even vaguely considering getting Setanta and it's not the freebie offer through Virgin or BT then DONT DO IT. It's easy to join but almost impossible to leave. I've been trying for 4 months now. I have been promised that this month will see my final payment but I am fully expecting to see them take more money next month.

DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THIS GANG OF CRIMINALS. grrrr. I really hope they go bust.

He's been advised to do all sorts from cancelling the direct debit to even leaving his bank to get away from them! It should not be that difficult for anybody to leave.

I was reading some financial bods website the other day (forget his name - he's on the telly if that's any help!) and he said that Setanta had the single worst cancellation policy for any 'major' company he had ever seen in his life.

I'm not entirely sure who that little snipe was aimed at daznathe, but WooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo! Check you!

If it was aimed at me, I don't have Setanta and never had so couldn't have got a letter from them. I do have Sky, and pay a subscription fee which has NOT gone down, yet the coverage has.

I didn't realise until a couple of weeks ago that the England gamese weren't on Sky - I can live with live games being on Setanta, but no terrestrial highlights? Sorry mate, that's a pisstake.

not a snipe mate, but thanks for the woo.

i should have said 'one should blame oneself' to avoid misunderstandings. but this doesnt change the fact that anyone (including myself) who pays for sky, is to blame for keeping the subscription ball rolling over the years. its up to setanta, they own the rights and weve given them the mandate to do what they want with them. incidentally, in a shrewd PR move setanta showed highlights for free, but sky, bbc, itv etcetera neglected to advertise this fact.

I love my Sky subscription...

I get a shed load of american football, premership football, cricket, tennis etc etc

And now I dont have to suffer having to watch England play... Happy all round :)

Apparently ESPN are going to bid for british football games in the future so im expecting it all to end up very much like in america where you need to subscribe to about four or five networks to see all the games....

Setanta buying the rights and the average working (wo)man being unable to watch even the highlights is obscene. We've had our national team taken away from us. The Government must step in.

This has nothing to do with the government. Am very annoyed by this but seen as many pubs are going down the pan this may help them.

or someone may yet convince the nation that the short term pain of not watching live football on tv, as weve all cancelled our subscriptions. will herald the long term gain of football on free to air terrestrial tv, reinvigorating the publics love of the licence fee. with players earning lower wages. therefore playing better for england as a by product and not treating females as objects, or abusing cocaine and alcohol and artificially sustaining high prices by spending £100k on a watch. whilst kids stop swearing at refs on sunday mornings.

or, as is likely, not.

not a snipe mate, but thanks for the woo.

i should have said 'one should blame oneself' to avoid misunderstandings. but this doesnt change the fact that anyone (including myself) who pays for sky, is to blame for keeping the subscription ball rolling over the years. its up to setanta, they own the rights and weve given them the mandate to do what they want with them. incidentally, in a shrewd PR move setanta showed highlights for free, but sky, bbc, itv etcetera neglected to advertise this fact.

I dont think it was a particulary shrewd PR move - it was just the kind of thing you'd expect from these chancers. They knocked back a £1M bid from ITV and said it wasnt commercially viable - the normal price would have been 300-400K. I dont know about Sky but the BBC also bid over the odds. Then when they realise the backlash against them is building they announce a couple of hours before kickoff that they'll show the highlights - how many people even knew about this?They had no plans to show the highlights, they wanted the only way to watch it being taking out one of their subscriptions but then realised they'd misjudged.

It'll be interesting to see if the same charade will be gone through next time. Did they make up the £1M they could have got from ITV through new subscriptions? I really really hope not. Hats off to a company that makes Rupert Murdoch look good.

it was shrewd though. they say they offered it free and its not their fault no one advertised it for them, anything that blunts (however slightly) what was a very sharp arguement, is shrewd. what may be seen as predictable to you and me may not the same for the next man, also most now know about these 'free' highlights, so they will probably offer them again next time and fill it with self promotion.

on another note, my bro commented that some of the crowd noise seemed to come from a can, so to speak. it was published by some papers that the england fans were singing 'we hate setanta' and 'bbc bbc bbc' so that probably explains it, unless of course there was a large contingent of sheffield united hooligans in attendance.

• 7 months later...
They're totally screwed... as bad as, or possibly worse, than ITV were during their football showing shenanigans.

At least this time its the Premiergreed teams being shafted and not us.

I think there will be an inevitable trickle down effect (e.g. transfer fees for Micah Richards etc).

I think there will be an inevitable trickle down effect (e.g. transfer fees for Micah Richards etc).

I might be wrong, but I seem to the recall the Setanta money being peanuts compared to the SKY money and overseas TV money that the Prem clubs get...