Setanta rant!

I currently subscribe to Sky (I know, I only have myself to blame and I'm going to hell in a handcart) which costs me in excess of £30 per month - we don't have the movie channels cos the wife has fallen asleep in the middle of almost every film she has ever watched - but we do subscribe to the sports packages.

I did this originally for the footie, and specifically for Monday night footie. I used to really enjoy watching the Monday night games after getting my weekend fix at BP or wherever the Blues were playing, but then of course Sky stopped showing Monday night football cos Setanta got in on the action. Then of course Setanta start showing football league games which I don't get cos I'm with sky. My brother gets Setanta free cos he had cable with Virgin (but he doesn't get Sky Sports News or Sky1).

Of course England's games (when not on terrestrial) were shown on Sky so at least I could watch how bad England were. Now of course England's away games and friendlies are on Setanta - which I don't get cos I dont want to pay another £10 or £12 a month or whatever. So I thought "what the heck", I'll just watch the highlights on MOTD - they usually do a decent job.

HOW WRONG WAS I? No highlights on terrestrial, and to make matters worse I found out this morning that Setanta showed unscrambled highlights after the game last night, what with them being jolly good sports and all that. Or could it perhaps be that they have been slated in the press over their desire for exclusivity and the BBC & ITV's reluctance to paid a reputed £1m for highlights rights!!!!

I don't know whether I'm more pissed off at Sky, to whom I pay in the region of £400 per year, at the BBC & ITV for not getting their hand in their pockets, at Setanta for wanting an extornionate amount of money for a relatively small amount of games, or at myself for being enough of a mug to have allowed myself to get snared into the 'digital TV football experience' in the first place!!

All I know for sure is that it's a :censored: disgrace that I and maybe millions of others didn't get to see the game last night! I suppose it sums up most of what is wrong with the money citrculating in the game these days!

Rant over!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
HOW WRONG WAS I? No highlights on terrestrial, and to make matters worse I found out this morning that Setanta showed unscrambled highlights after the game last night, what with them being jolly good sports and all that. Or could it perhaps be that they have been slated in the press over their desire for exclusivity and the BBC & ITV's reluctance to paid a reputed £1m for highlights rights!!!!

I saw the goals on ITV News last night (22:00) and they came courtesy of Setanta , I wondered what was the link between ITV & Setanta , the link is £1M :lol:

ITV advertised that they would be showing highlights during News at Ten last night. They announced at the start of the News that there were plenty of goals in the game, and then they showed England's first goal before the adverts. Before showing the highligts, they announced the final score, which ruined it for anyone who had been avoiding it up to that point.

I can never underatand why on the Championship programme on Sundays, every clip starts with the score instead of ending with it. To me it would be a lot more enjoyable if I didn't know the score in advance.

I currently subscribe to Sky (I know, I only have myself to blame and I'm going to hell in a handcart) which costs me in excess of £30 per month - we don't have the movie channels cos the wife has fallen asleep in the middle of almost every film she has ever watched - but we do subscribe to the sports packages.

I did this originally for the footie, and specifically for Monday night footie. I used to really enjoy watching the Monday night games after getting my weekend fix at BP or wherever the Blues were playing, but then of course Sky stopped showing Monday night football cos Setanta got in on the action. Then of course Setanta start showing football league games which I don't get cos I'm with sky. My brother gets Setanta free cos he had cable with Virgin (but he doesn't get Sky Sports News or Sky1).

Of course England's games (when not on terrestrial) were shown on Sky so at least I could watch how bad England were. Now of course England's away games and friendlies are on Setanta - which I don't get cos I dont want to pay another £10 or £12 a month or whatever. So I thought "what the heck", I'll just watch the highlights on MOTD - they usually do a decent job.

I don't know whether I'm more pissed off at Sky, to whom I pay in the region of £400 per year, at the BBC & ITV for not getting their hand in their pockets, at Setanta for wanting an extornionate amount of money for a relatively small amount of games, or at myself for being enough of a mug to have allowed myself to get snared into the 'digital TV football experience' in the first place!!

All I know for sure is that it's a :censored: disgrace that I and maybe millions of others didn't get to see the game last night! I suppose it sums up most of what is wrong with the money citrculating in the game these days!

Rant over!!

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, I pay for Sky Sports and I'm not going to pay again for Setanta, I feel with no Monday night football and no England games I'm getting much less for my £30+ per month.

Guest oa_exile

I dont subscribe to either , how much is Setanta ? The reason I am asking is that it always seems to have Lower League football on and I can watch MOTD on Saturday for the Greedy League highlights (for free)

I dont subscribe to either , how much is Setanta ? The reason I am asking is that it always seems to have Lower League football on and I can watch MOTD on Saturday for the Greedy League highlights (for free)

It has Premiership and Conference, nowt in between. It's a tenner a month I think although you can cancel it whenever you like.

Can't get cable in my area Dave, though that's only an aside, not the real point if you see what I mean.

Cables mega expensive, the owd fella pays through the nose for it everything's extra and no Simpsons on Sky1, I couldn't survive! I must be a mug, we pay £50+ for Sky+ and Multiroom, then I pay another £12.99 per month for Sultana, mainly for the Aussie RL coverage. Thinking of telling them all to sod off, the Prem I could live without, the cricket and RL I couldn't!

ITV advertised that they would be showing highlights during News at Ten last night. They announced at the start of the News that there were plenty of goals in the game, and then they showed England's first goal before the adverts. Before showing the highligts, they announced the final score, which ruined it for anyone who had been avoiding it up to that point.

I can never underatand why on the Championship programme on Sundays, every clip starts with the score instead of ending with it. To me it would be a lot more enjoyable if I didn't know the score in advance.

ITN also ran a story on the rights bidding farago, which stated that Setanta would be unscrambling the signal for the highlights at 11.30 that night. The footie was terrific, but not as good as it was on the radio. Setanta's highlights were fairly poor compared to ITV or BBC, and the punditry was absolutely shocking. Chris Waddle is more or less incomprehensible; McManaman, "Allardyce" and Venables wanted to say things about clips and action that the producer or whoever hadn't lined up.

Also, there was some Shakespeare at the beginning, read by Colin Salmon, who was in recent James Bond films. I've read Henry V, but I missed the bit where the Croations join the French for a pasting at Agincourt. Completely over the top. The most frustrating thing was they showed the teams walking out at the beginning, then said that kick-off would be coming up after the break. Incredible. The adverts were for Setanta and a text line, which promised that a bevvy of alluring birds were waiting online right now to send you smutty text messages--for a fee.

Guest oa_exile
It has Premiership and Conference, nowt in between. It's a tenner a month I think although you can cancel it whenever you like.

Cheers Andy , I thought it had Div 2 , Div 3 , JPT , etc as well .............. well in that case it can Setanta off :)

I used to subscribe to Sky Sports through NTL when I lived in Owdum but noticed this "Pay per view" was creeping in more and more so I binned it ^_^

Guest oa_exile
The adverts were for Setanta and a text line, which promised that a bevvy of alluring birds were waiting online right now to send you smutty text messages--for a fee.

.........and how much did that finish up costing you ? :naughty:

I have just changed my telecom company to BT and if I subscribe to their BT vision package I get free setanta, I have been waiting the bast part of a month for it and finally got a call yesterday - "we will send you your bt vision box next Wednesday" - thanks a bunch, the only reason I really wanted it was to watch the game last night.

Guest oa_exile
I have just changed my telecom company to BT and if I subscribe to their BT vision package I get free setanta, I have been waiting the bast part of a month for it and finally got a call yesterday - "we will send you your bt vision box next Wednesday" - thanks a bunch, the only reason I really wanted it was to watch the game last night.

That will teach you for penny pinching ! :tongue1:

They've shifted the price of Setanta up by a few quid (well they have mine) to £12.99. You do get quite alot of stuff thrown in for that though. Most importantly (if you are me) NASN. As well as non-league and Premiership games it shows a whole raft of foreign stuff which is okay when there is little on.

I suspect Sky may suffer a little bit soon as people switch off. Setanta is a cheaper alternative for the football, and the few pennies in the pocket aren't worth alot right now.

I can't figure why anyone with Sky can moan about another channel charging for live coverage. It's just a medium you don't have. Plenty of people have no Sky, should they moan about Sky showing games? The highlights should be on terrestrial though for all England games.

It's all done one thing that's for sure. Everyone knows what Setanta is now.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I can't figure why anyone with Sky can moan about another channel charging for live coverage. It's just a medium you don't have. Plenty of people have no Sky, should they moan about Sky showing games? The highlights should be on terrestrial though for all England games.

It's easy OS - when I signed up to sky it was on the basis that I got to watch Monday night Premier:censored: and the England games which weren't on terrestrial. Now Sky have lost the rights to cover Monday night footie and England games - have they given me a reduction in my subscription charge seeing as they aren't able to provide me with the service I signed up to?

Have they bollocks like. That's why I feel aggrieved.

That will teach you for penny pinching ! :tongue1:

Penny pinching?!?! :angry:

Connection fee as the previous owners had knackered the line up with Talktalk - £130

Monthly DD for line rental and broadband - £18.99

Additional fee for BT Vision - £14

Setanta - £0

Not paying Murdock or subsidising premier league ticket prices - priceless

Complaining about the slowness of processing my order to Ofcom and them getting the BT chairman's office involved "to treat my order as a priority" - useless.

f 'em all off lads - stick a 1metre motorised monstrosity of a dish up, hook up with the dodgy satellite pirates and watch all you want. It'll pay for itself soon enough. You might lose your wife, the exterior of your house will look dreadful and you will automatically drop a social class or two but what does that matter when you can watch the Moroccan 2nd Division?

i dont believe you can state you have sky, then complain about setanta without feeling a little hypocritical. if it wasnt for sky subscribers, there would be no setanta. so if you want to blame someone im afraid you have to blame yourself. if when you got the letter off sultana saying it was going up to 12.99 you rang up and said you wished to cancel, you would have got nine months at 7.99

f 'em all off lads - stick a 1metre motorised monstrosity of a dish up, hook up with the dodgy satellite pirates and watch all you want. It'll pay for itself soon enough. You might lose your wife, the exterior of your house will look dreadful and you will automatically drop a social class or two but what does that matter when you can watch the Moroccan 2nd Division?

Is that from watching the gentlemen relaxation films?

i dont believe you can state you have sky, then complain about setanta without feeling a little hypocritical. if it wasnt for sky subscribers, there would be no setanta. so if you want to blame someone im afraid you have to blame yourself. if when you got the letter off sultana saying it was going up to 12.99 you rang up and said you wished to cancel, you would have got nine months at 7.99

I'm not entirely sure who that little snipe was aimed at daznathe, but WooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo! Check you!

If it was aimed at me, I don't have Setanta and never had so couldn't have got a letter from them. I do have Sky, and pay a subscription fee which has NOT gone down, yet the coverage has.

I didn't realise until a couple of weeks ago that the England games weren't on Sky - I can live with live games being on Setanta, but no terrestrial highlights? Sorry mate, that's a pisstake.

Edited by danoafc