Oldham Fans In The Cheadle End

I've deliberately not posted for a day or so to reflect on Friday nights events.

The ticketing situation from day 1 was always going to be a difficult subject and probably a shambles due to the limited number that Stockport decided to allocate to us. Everyone, including Stockport knew that 2,000 would not be enough and Latics requests for more tickets were refused.

The upshot of this is that away fans will attempt to gain access to watch the match from the home sections if the away end sells out and there are tickets available in the home section. This is not something new, it goes on all over the country. The bigger and or more successful the team, the bigger the away following etc etc, United, City etc we have all seen it at BP. We had it last season with Leeds.

The sensible clubs, will allocate a sensible amount of tickets to visiting teams, taking into account for example likely requirements from home supporters. Where it is obvious that the away team will sell out thier initial allocation and there is the ability to allocate more seats to away fans, then most clubs will do so. Oldham have done it in the past, (see Blackpool play off game as an example) and are doing it this season with huddersfield, Leicester and Leeds. On our 2 previous visits to Stockport, County have moved their ST holders to accommodate the larger away following. It is all common sense.

The question that Stockport have to answer is this... Why did they refuse to allocate us the whole of the popular side for the game as they had done for our 2 previous visits? Was this their decision?, Was the decision made by the Police or licencing body? Usually, the decision is made by consultation between those parties and for the life of me, if there was no chance of Stockport selling out the home section, then why would the authorities run the risk of any type of public disorder?

Putting the allocation of tickets to 1 side, and accepting that in the circumstances, Latcis fans were always going to be in the home sections, (And yes I do accept that you are not supposed to be, but be real it happens) what really concerns me is this. When we scored, a limited number of our fans "celebrated" in the Cheadle end (the more sensible ones celebrated inwardly :tongue1: ) Now I am not aware at this point exactly what "crime" they have committed here except the 1 thats not in the statute books of celebrating a goal in front of the opposition fans. So the next thing that happens, is that those celebrating fans are attacked and assaulted causing actual bodyily harm by a good number of what I can only describe as hooligans. The Oldham fans, who were beaten up are then ejected and arrested. Arrested for what? getting beaten up? My real point here people is what has happened to the Stockport fans who assaulted the Oldham fans? I carried on watching what was going on in that area, and I did not see 1 Stockport fan removed.

Having attended and witnessed the debacle of Stewarding at Colchester, I am appalled at the total lack of sense that was applied by both the Stewards and the Police on Friday night. Colchester was a non event in reality in other words there was nothing happening until a steward overstepped the mark and through his overzealous actions nearly caused a riot. Friday saw the opposite. there was a lack of appropriate action from both Stewards and Police. The ground CCTV will have homed in on the incidents and it would have been relatively easy to identify most of the Stockport fans involved in the subsequent assaults (I am still not condoning our fans actions) and eject and arrest them as well.

The police were so slow to react to the incident it was a disgrace.

Whilst our fans will take some of the blame for Friday nights situation, Stockport are culpable, because they were aware from day 1 of the likely implications of their actions. The police and licencing authorities are also equally to blame as they are charged with risk assessing these sitautions and licencing the grounds accordingly. (AND we have seen ourselves this season following the Millwall game, how powerful they are)

For the record, whilst I understand why supporters go in the home ends, I accept that they shouldn't do. I also believe that you are entitled not to have your head kicked in if you do and I also believe that those responsible for kicking someones head in should be arrested and sent to prison. I also believe that teams should try and accommodate as many home and away fans as possible thus reducing the risk of supporters ending up in the wrong sections and I believe more than anything that we were cr*p in the second half on Friday and therefore deserved to lose the game.

Cheers,

Harry

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with every word of Harry's post. Regardless of the wisdom of some of our fans' actions, it's no reason for them to be kicked in or arrested, and the scum who did it should be going to jail. There must be CCTV of the dozens of people who were running across the stand and down the stairs to join in. Are those people going next Saturday?

I've deliberately not posted for a day or so to reflect on Friday nights events.

The ticketing situation from day 1 was always going to be a difficult subject and probably a shambles due to the limited number that Stockport decided to allocate to us. Everyone, including Stockport knew that 2,000 would not be enough and Latics requests for more tickets were refused.

The upshot of this is that away fans will attempt to gain access to watch the match from the home sections if the away end sells out and there are tickets available in the home section. This is not something new, it goes on all over the country. The bigger and or more successful the team, the bigger the away following etc etc, United, City etc we have all seen it at BP. We had it last season with Leeds.

The sensible clubs, will allocate a sensible amount of tickets to visiting teams, taking into account for example likely requirements from home supporters. Where it is obvious that the away team will sell out thier initial allocation and there is the ability to allocate more seats to away fans, then most clubs will do so. Oldham have done it in the past, (see Blackpool play off game as an example) and are doing it this season with huddersfield, Leicester and Leeds. On our 2 previous visits to Stockport, County have moved their ST holders to accommodate the larger away following. It is all common sense.

The question that Stockport have to answer is this... Why did they refuse to allocate us the whole of the popular side for the game as they had done for our 2 previous visits? Was this their decision?, Was the decision made by the Police or licencing body? Usually, the decision is made by consultation between those parties and for the life of me, if there was no chance of Stockport selling out the home section, then why would the authorities run the risk of any type of public disorder?

Putting the allocation of tickets to 1 side, and accepting that in the circumstances, Latcis fans were always going to be in the home sections, (And yes I do accept that you are not supposed to be, but be real it happens) what really concerns me is this. When we scored, a limited number of our fans "celebrated" in the Cheadle end (the more sensible ones celebrated inwardly :tongue1: ) Now I am not aware at this point exactly what "crime" they have committed here except the 1 thats not in the statute books of celebrating a goal in front of the opposition fans. So the next thing that happens, is that those celebrating fans are attacked and assaulted causing actual bodyily harm by a good number of what I can only describe as hooligans. The Oldham fans, who were beaten up are then ejected and arrested. Arrested for what? getting beaten up? My real point here people is what has happened to the Stockport fans who assaulted the Oldham fans? I carried on watching what was going on in that area, and I did not see 1 Stockport fan removed.

Having attended and witnessed the debacle of Stewarding at Colchester, I am appalled at the total lack of sense that was applied by both the Stewards and the Police on Friday night. Colchester was a non event in reality in other words there was nothing happening until a steward overstepped the mark and through his overzealous actions nearly caused a riot. Friday saw the opposite. there was a lack of appropriate action from both Stewards and Police. The ground CCTV will have homed in on the incidents and it would have been relatively easy to identify most of the Stockport fans involved in the subsequent assaults (I am still not condoning our fans actions) and eject and arrest them as well.

Whilst our fans will take some of the blame for Friday nights situation, Stockport are culpable, because they were aware from day 1 of the likely implications of their actions. The police and licencing authorities are also equally to blame as they are charged with risk assessing these sitautions and licencing the grounds accordingly. (AND we have seen ourselves this season following the Millwall game, how powerful they are)

For the record, whilst I understand why supporters go in the home ends, I accept that they shouldn't do. I also believe that you are entitled not to have your head kicked in if you do and I also believe that those responsible for kicking someones head in should be arrested and sent to prison. I also believe that teams should try and accommodate as many home and away fans as possible thus reducing the risk of supporters ending up in the wrong sections and I believe more than anything that we were cr*p in the second half on Friday and therefore deserved to lose the game.

Cheers,

Harry

Wahoo :dance: common sense. all valid/sensible/realistic points.

Cheers,

Harry

Thats the best post on this thread

Cheers,

Harry

So, what's your point?

:tongue:

Edited by jsslatic

For the record, whilst I understand why supporters go in the home ends, I accept that they shouldn't do.

agree with everything except this. if you wish to watch a game of football, then within reason who you support should not affect where you sit. ive been brought up watching local football, i mean going to united, city, oldham regularly with family since a young age. i remember sitting with my dad(united), uncle(city), grandad(united), brother(oldham), and cousins (uted, city, villa) at man city v port vale because oldham and united playing are far away and we wanted to go to a mach. as an added extra its rammed so to sit together we have go in the vale end and the city fans join us, cos we want to sit together. we all care about vale equally lowly but were going to cheer their gols and the city members will just go with the flow act 'neutral' basicly nothing stupid.

aside from maybe taking away seats from real vale fans, whats wrong with this? yes you may spout segregation for a reason, but if everyone could do this we wouldnt need segregation. on friday i was a neutral fan, with a bit of over emphasised stockport clapping on good moves for effect!

that said, football may not be what it is if all crowds were neutral, but thats another topic.

So you have never ever ever ever gone in the home and have you ever sat near to an away fan at BP andif so what were your thoughts on them?

I have never gone to a away match and sat in the home end...no...why the hell would I do that ??

I have been sat next too city fans in the past... I tollerated them...and made it clear that if I heard one word out of them they wouldnt be sat there much longer.....

I have never gone to a away match and sat in the home end...no...why the hell would I do that ??

I have been sat next too city fans in the past... I tollerated them...and made it clear that if I heard one word out of them they wouldnt be sat there much longer.....

Its ironic how there was a post on here about sitting in the home ends at grounds, what are you suggesting about people who have had to do that? You can tell form the context of thos posts regarding the issue that for whatever reason sometimes it's necessary to do that, I had a ticket butnwouldn't have thought twice about sitting in the home end, Because i wanted o see my club play - If you noticed that othertopic sometimes it happens..

As for telling City fans they wont be sat there for much longer, get real.. In all honesty ever since i was a kid they have had a massive amounts of seats and have never felt it necessary to keep a low profile.......

"why the hell would i do that"? no ticket/friend from town/comps - footy fans want to see games....

Stockport gave us 2000 tickets, we sold them all the had no obligation to give us anymore. They wouldnt sell tickets over the phone to people who weren't in their database or didnt have a stockport postcode they couldnt really do any more than that. It isn't their fault that there fans determined to get in the home end no matter what. And why go in the Cheadle end? If your going to go in with other fans its not the best place to go is it. If we give Leicester the big part of the RRE and they sell out do we then give them the small part as well just in case there fans get tickets for the home end? If we give them the whole of the RRE and they sell that out do we give them a bit of the main stand too? The blame lies solely with those people who went in there and that starting goading the home fans when we scored. Now im not saying that its right that it kicked off like it did, but its not Stockports fault that it did. The only thing i would say Stockport need to look at is how slowly he stewards and police got there, what should have happened was we scored, fans cheered, stockport fans got irate but the stewards and police got in there as soon as it happened and either kicked the latics fans out or moved them to the away section because there were empty seats there. I'm not having a go at latics who went in the home end either, i've done it on a few occasions , and today im taking my nephew to watch Liverpool play City but even he knows, at 7 years old to keep his mouth shut should liverpool score (though i would hope even he did they wouldnt kick off with a kid!)

lets just hope theres no other scousers sat near you if liverpool score gemma.

agree with everything except this. if you wish to watch a game of football, then within reason who you support should not affect where you sit. ive been brought up watching local football, i mean going to united, city, oldham regularly with family since a young age. i remember sitting with my dad(united), uncle(city), grandad(united), brother(oldham), and cousins (uted, city, villa) at man city v port vale because oldham and united playing are far away and we wanted to go to a mach. as an added extra its rammed so to sit together we have go in the vale end and the city fans join us, cos we want to sit together. we all care about vale equally lowly but were going to cheer their gols and the city members will just go with the flow act 'neutral' basicly nothing stupid.

aside from maybe taking away seats from real vale fans, whats wrong with this? yes you may spout segregation for a reason, but if everyone could do this we wouldnt need segregation. on friday i was a neutral fan, with a bit of over emphasised stockport clapping on good moves for effect!

that said, football may not be what it is if all crowds were neutral, but thats another topic.

The point I was making in saying "I accept that they shouldn't do" was that the police and licencing authorities require the clubs to segregate fans and for that reason alone away fans shouldn't sit in the home ends.

I fully agree with you that within reason who you support should not affect where you sit.

Cheers,

Harry

Just to add insult to injury from Fridays game, i got asked by there guys when i first turned up if i would mind going into the lounge to meet a few kids as there were some Latics fans in there. I headed up there with their mascots and the guy from football in the community, they led me through the home fans to get to the lounge. As i was wlaking through i got punched by 4 different people round the back of the head. Yet when i gave one of them a slap back i got moaned at by the steward. I just did my bit in the lounge at got out of there, not the freindliest places ive been.

On a seperate note though, i did get treated very nicely by the people looking after me, and there mascots were well impressed with the fact i scored from the corner flag. :grin:

I thought that was Andy Liddell?

Imagine Andy Liddell, but uglier, less talented, greyer, with a worse sense of humour, less intelligent, and as likely as not a smaller dick.

That's me with a shiner next time then :wink:

For me its simple why we had a bad night....

No Gregan...

No Hughes...

Take them too out of any League One team and its a MASSIVE loss.... Stockport killed off a wounded animal last night and I wasnt too surprised if im honest...

Were meant to have a deepened sqaud now so them being out shouldnt of been a problem although most of us know this was the reason!

Didn't see any fighting from where I was, couldn't really see what was going on at the bottom. Just seemed like they were surrounding them down there, police took an absolute age from the other side of the ground.

It had it coming, hopefully Stockport will now wake up to whats happened. No doubt it'll all be our fault.

Going into the home end celebrating and goading women and children in front of their husbands/Dads ? Newsflash, it WAS your fault.

thats what i was thinking was it the roof but then again we didnt really create much to get the fans going did we so 1st loss of the season lets bounce back thats the main thing!!!!

could you see anything of the fighting??? hope that woman is ok tho... got caught right in the middle of it...

i only blame county for the 2000 tickets what was they thinking!!!! :angry:

Or what were the Police thinking maybe ?

Stockport are a joke and should have the book thrown at them. They didn't take reasonable care to ensure the safety of fans and so are breakin health and safety rules. It was common sense to give us more seats, they just wanted to take the piss

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, hello, real world calling.

All ends up, I can't believe Oldham are getting blamed for this. Oldham officials would have made it clear that we would be taking more than 2000 fans

At the last minute when arragements are in place with the Police ? What if the Police said, no, no more tickets for Oldham ?

Not going to stop fans going in the home ends is it. It should but it won't. As you'll discover when Leeds turn up.

Not at all, but all this, it's Stockport's fault, book should be thrown at them rubbish. Come on, how many people here know the FACTS of what went on with the ticket allocation ?

If anyone seriously thought County said 2000, no more, just to cause Oldham some aggravation are in cloud cookoo land. We're a trust run club, we need the money for goodness sake. If you'd have told us at an early juncture you'd be bringing 2500 you'd probably have been given the tickets, Police permiting.