Doom and Gloom

My goodness you would have thought we were in the bottom 4 of the league the way some people are mouthing off on this forum. FFS get behind the team and manager.

I for one would have taken our current league position before the season kicked off.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally wouldn't.

8th last season.

+

Investment in squad.

=

7th this season.

Abolutely not good enough.

And that's before you take in to account current form.

Totally behind Shez to sort it - he has to prove he's big enough as a manager to deliver.

Edited by opinions4u

My goodness you would have thought we were in the bottom 4 of the league the way some people are mouthing off on this forum. FFS get behind the team and manager.

I for one would have taken our current league position before the season kicked off.

The people who are 'mouthing off' (God forbid that anybody gives an opinion on a debating forum) are, I think you'll find, precisely the kind of people who do get behind the team. Every week.

Our current position, 7th in the league, is due to our early season form. Our last 7-8 results have been relegation form, and other than the win against the league leaders (it's easy to raise your game against big opposition), our general play has been poor. Coupled with that, the latest rumpus at BP and questionable loan deals have made many of us wonder whether we are heading for a further slide in the table into mid-table obscurity, or worse. The season that started so brightly and full of optism is rapidly turning into another non-event, and it's looking more like spending our 13th season in L1.

Would you settle for seventh at the end of the season?

Is that pointed at just our fans or could that also be a message to Mr Corney after his outbursts in public too?

Is anyone else a bit more relaxed about it all?

the war of words over the weekend hasn't helped,and the lack of anything coming out of the club in a way of response about the whole saga doesn't bear well at the moment.

i'm fearing more trouble ahead unless this mess becomes patched up and publicly stated as such.

too many things have happened lately were unusual events with no reasonable explaination,leaving us fans more puzzled than initially.

I think most if it [the D&G] is bourne out of frustration at letting a great start to the season fragment and disintegrate leaving us just about clinging to a play-off spot but with other teams around us hitting form. At the beginning of the season I felt very confident in the signings made, the start we had (despite the odd defensive wobble v Millwall, Hartlepool) and the type of football we were playing.

Now the thing that's annoyed me the most, is we've been the victims of our own undoing in a way. It wasn't injuries, or simply bad luck which saw it come shuddering to a bump. It was tinkering, in-fighting within the club and personal issues to our most effective defender. All these variables are a mixture of unprofessionalism and simply avoidable unlike injuries/some suspensions.

The next two league games are huge for Shez IMO. Tough long-distance away games, where we've been at our weakest this season. If we fail to collect at least 4 points then we'll be probably 5 points or so from the play offs and more alarmingly our recent form will look clearly like relegation form. I get the feeling Corney will be losing more patience then, and probably so will I.

I think most if it [the D&G] is bourne out of frustration at letting a great start to the season fragment and disintegrate leaving us just about clinging to a play-off spot but with other teams around us hitting form. At the beginning of the season I felt very confident in the signings made, the start we had (despite the odd defensive wobble v Millwall, Hartlepool) and the type of football we were playing.

Now the thing that's annoyed me the most, is we've been the victims of our own undoing in a way. It wasn't injuries, or simply bad luck which saw it come shuddering to a bump. It was tinkering, in-fighting within the club and personal issues to our most effective defender. All these variables are a mixture of unprofessionalism and simply avoidable unlike injuries/some suspensions.

The next two league games are huge for Shez IMO. Tough long-distance away games, where we've been at our weakest this season. If we fail to collect at least 4 points then we'll be probably 5 points or so from the play offs and more alarmingly our recent form will look clearly like relegation form. I get the feeling Corney will be losing more patience then, and probably so will I.

I agree with all that you say, but I would also question "motivation" ... and not just any self motivation coming from the players, but motivation from the management team. It has become a pattern this season and last that we can always be up for the big games, but we we do not have the discipline and motivation for the lesser teams. Look at Dowie / Harbin in our case or at good managers at all levels. They motivate their squads whoever they play.

I am not a "Shez out" fan, and I will be there at Northampton and Southend, but I fully appreciate why SC would have a pop, when the team is not consistently motivated.

Oh aye. I just don't know which stand to buy for. Going in the RRE feels like cheating on a lover - which I'd never do, obviously :wink:

Surely going in the Main Stand is also like cheating, especially with all the WAGS in there - so I'm told.

I'm buying my set of tickets on Friday, plus Chaddy's Gang Christmas Party tickets. Chaddy rules OK!

I personally wouldn't.

8th last season.

+

Investment in squad.

=

7th this season.

Abolutely not good enough.

And that's before you take in to account current form.

Totally behind Shez to sort it - he has to prove he's big enough as a manager to deliver.

#

Its November and we have had a dip!!!

If we are still in this position or lower come May then yes valid point but still a long way to go!!!!!

But 6 points off the top a third of the way through the season equates to 18 points at the end.

Not sure that would sneak in to the play-offs.

The point is that we're 7th after 15 games, not 46. Things aren't going to stay the same. But if you do want to play a multiplication game then by my maths we'd end up with 3 x 25 = 75 points (plus say a point for the extra game), and 76 points would possibly see us in good stead.

FFS, we're just off the playoffs, still in the Cup (ands wins in a home game against a side at the bottom of L1 and an away game at a side from L2 from a potential crack at Premier League opposition again). Everyone just calm down.

i personally think we will make the playoffs, we have played poorley over the last 8 games or so, but every clubs in the division will go through bad patches.

as stated earlier by some one else, ive been watching latics for over 20 years myself and i am quite relaxed because ive seen it all before.

im firmly in the shez in camp because over the last few years we have had sharp, warnock, talbot and moore and i know which managers teams i want to watch.

its a long season, we will win more than we lose.....we will have good days and bad days but we have no divine right to win the league (seems some people think we do)

i know many of us are sick of this division but we where in the old second division a hell of a lot longer that we have been in this one and even if we do go up we could come straight back,its a big jump, luck at donny

forget the doom and gloom, try to get some prespectve and most importantly KEEP THE FAITH.

remember its not long ago we could have been sent into extiction

Is anyone else a bit more relaxed about it all? Been following latics for about 25 years, there have been ups, there have been downs and there will be both again.

It's easy to be relaxed if you see the game, and society, remaining the same over the coming generation. How likely is it that they will? It's already a different world from the one those of us watching a generation ago knew, and football is, you might say, a different game too.

According to many accounts, the western world hasn't just experienced a banking crisis but came within a whisker of economic collapse. Change is coming rapidly, in increasingly unexpected ways. We are told that tough times lie ahead. How confident can we be that football will come through them unscathed? How long can the debt-mired clubs at the lower end of the scale, where little money from the top (ahem) trickles down, continue to limp on, especially as fans are hit in the pocket by recession and its aftermath? At best, reform will come, with most of the smaller clubs probably going part-time. When those times come, we can, if it happens to us, say goodbye to all our dreams of ever brushing up against the big clubs and briefly flirting with glory again. Which is fine if people are satisfied with eternally retreading what we already have, except with even poorer quality football on offer.

Of course, promotion guarantees nothing. Perhaps we have already lost the ability we once had to compete at that level, due to the shrinkage of the club's stature over the past decade-and-a-half. But if we want to see for ourselves we have to actually get there and try it out. At this level, the future for professional football in towns like ours is bleak indeed.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

It's easy to be relaxed if you see the game, and society, remaining the same over the coming generation. How likely is it that they will? It's already a different world from the one those of us watching a generation ago knew, and football is, you might say, a different game too.

According to many accounts, the western world hasn't just experienced a banking crisis but came within a whisker of economic collapse. Change is coming rapidly, in increasingly unexpected ways. We are told that tough times lie ahead. How confident can we be that football will come through them unscathed? How long can the debt-mired clubs at the lower end of the scale, where little money from the top (ahem) trickles down, continue to limp on, especially as fans are hit in the pocket by recession and its aftermath? At best, reform will come, with most of the smaller clubs probably going part-time. When those times come, we can, if it happens to us, say goodbye to all our dreams of ever brushing up against the big clubs and briefly flirting with glory again. Which is fine if people are satisfied with eternally retreading what we already have, except with even poorer quality football on offer.

Of course, promotion guarantees nothing. Perhaps we have already lost the ability we once had to compete at that level, due to the shrinkage of the club's stature over the past decade-and-a-half. But if we want to see for ourselves we have to actually get there and try it out. At this level, the future for professional football in towns like ours is bleak indeed.

Can't disagree with that, but I would say we would not "say goodbye to all our dreams of ever brushing up against the big clubs and briefly flirting with glory" as long as we're in the F.A. Cup.

Surely going in the Main Stand is also like cheating, especially with all the WAGS in there - so I'm told.

I'm buying my set of tickets on Friday, plus Chaddy's Gang Christmas Party tickets. Chaddy rules OK!

So what you're saying is that no matter what I do, I'm still cheating. Well, at least I have someone to blame it on, rather than just "the voices in my head". That doesn't tend to go down well. Or maybe she said that I never go down well. I get confused.

Oh, and while I was at Boundary Park this afternoon there were two fire engine parked up outside the main door. Make your own jokes up... :grin:

Edited by Takemeanywhere

Corp,

The day we got relegated at Norwich I sat in my seat and had a good look round Carrow Rd and thought to myself that we weren't going back there - Carrow Rd at the time being home to the upsurgent Norwich being a perfect embodyment of the new Premier League. I had followed Latics in the Second Division for long enough to really enjoy the time we had in the prem and appreciate it was a passing phase.

The days back in League One hurt though, really hurt, perhaps it was the hope and expectation but the defeats hurt, it got worse when we were relegated to the the league we are in now, I sat at the end of the bar that night and drank to forget, strangers bought me drinks as they could see the pain I was in. For a few more years every defeat ruined the next week, every win made the next week wonderful.

But then, about 4 years ago I learned to let go, to enjoy the wins, the snatched draws and not worry about the defeats or the capitulated draws. To badly paraphrase Shankly, "Its only football"

Lifes too short my friend, enjoy the good bits and let the bad bits go.