Doom and Gloom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it in perspective.

We've lost a coupe of games but are still in reach of the top. After the progress over the last couple of years we're expecing to be in the mix come May.

Could have been Carlisle fan writing it couldn't it. Now they're experiencing a slide, we're just merely having a dip. It'll come good.

KTF

My goodness you would have thought we were in the bottom 4 of the league the way some people are mouthing off on this forum. FFS get behind the team and manager.

I for one would have taken our current league position before the season kicked off.

i so bloody glad someone else has picked up on all the crap,

Is anyone else a bit more relaxed about it all? Been following latics for about 25 years, there have been ups, there have been downs and there will be both again.

Yep, bigger fish to fry at the moment and nowt surprises me anymore, think our problems are footballing ones (ie the manager) rather than anything too major. Hopefully he'll have the bollocks to make the correct decisions come weekend. If not no doubt we'll all be back again next season on a reduced budget forever to tread water, will I be back? Probably, its my team innit! Eleven men kicking a ball round, much more important things out there in the world imo the certainly not life or death. Give or take 2 or three great seasons and the odd purple patch we've been :censored:e forever. If we're mid-table at Chrimble, Shez goes, he's had his chance give a new guy his chance in the window. (Personally i'd beg TP to take the job, so positive and hopefully not a ditherer) I wouldn't even let him (Shez) sign Byfield this week, he's signed enough players and is now scraping around for more. Work with what you've got.

Yep, bigger fish to fry at the moment and nowt surprises me anymore, think our problems are footballing ones (ie the manager) rather than anything too major. Hopefully he'll have the bollocks to make the correct decisions come weekend. If not no doubt we'll all be back again next season on a reduced budget forever to tread water, will I be back? Probably, its my team innit! Eleven men kicking a ball round, much more important things out there in the world imo the certainly not life or death. Give or take 2 or three great seasons and the odd purple patch we've been :censored:e forever. If we're mid-table at Chrimble, Shez goes, he's had his chance give a new guy his chance in the window. (Personally i'd beg TP to take the job, so positive and hopefully not a ditherer) I wouldn't even let him (Shez) sign Byfield this week, he's signed enough players and is now scraping around for more. Work with what you've got.

Just about spot....totally agree with you!!!

Give or take 2 or three great seasons and the odd purple patch we've been :censored:e forever.

Just as we're told an alcoholic or a gambler should declare their addiction, once you've accepted the truth about Latics, everything else becomes easier to take.

will I be back? Probably, its my team innit!

That's the spirit!

If we were in the championship we would not be the same club. I am happy to be league 1 that's were we belong. Don't have any expectations and there is no problems. Be happy with success and don't be too worried about bad seasons. This will make you happy.

Surely going in the Main Stand is also like cheating, especially with all the WAGS in there - so I'm told.

I'm buying my set of tickets on Friday, plus Chaddy's Gang Christmas Party tickets. Chaddy rules OK!

Northampton and chelts only for me,Southend just a game to much with 2 at home in a week and then Morecombe.

As for chaddy's gang christmas party,apart from the great owl himself.....not good....

Is that pointed at just our fans or could that also be a message to Mr Corney after his outbursts in public too?

After what i have just been told.....from a reliable sources friend of a tramp,living in a box in london(LL),dogs budgies girlfriend..................CORNEY is going more public very soon!!!!!!!!

After what i have just been told.....from a reliable sources friend of a tramp,living in a box in london(LL),dogs budgies girlfriend..................CORNEY is going more public very soon!!!!!!!!

I am furiously angry at this illegal slur on my character. I have never* ever slept in a cardboard box in my life and I demand that you retract the allegation immediately

* In London

If we were in the championship we would not be the same club. I am happy to be league 1 that's were we belong. Don't have any expectations and there is no problems. Be happy with success and don't be too worried about bad seasons. This will make you happy.

:censored: The author should be :jailed:

Corp,

The day we got relegated at Norwich I sat in my seat and had a good look round Carrow Rd and thought to myself that we weren't going back there - Carrow Rd at the time being home to the upsurgent Norwich being a perfect embodyment of the new Premier League. I had followed Latics in the Second Division for long enough to really enjoy the time we had in the prem and appreciate it was a passing phase.

The days back in League One hurt though, really hurt, perhaps it was the hope and expectation but the defeats hurt, it got worse when we were relegated to the the league we are in now, I sat at the end of the bar that night and drank to forget, strangers bought me drinks as they could see the pain I was in. For a few more years every defeat ruined the next week, every win made the next week wonderful.

But then, about 4 years ago I learned to let go, to enjoy the wins, the snatched draws and not worry about the defeats or the capitulated draws. To badly paraphrase Shankly, "Its only football"

Lifes too short my friend, enjoy the good bits and let the bad bits go.

I'm not saying that there are not more important things than football. However, surely boards like this are primarily for discussing football in itself, as opposed to where it fits into God's great scheme of things? And how successful we want our club to be?

So because large parts of the club's history have been :censored:e, we ought to be content with being :censored:e forever?

As already suggested, though, given the way football and wider society look like going, without moving on we may not even be able to sustain the heady heights of League One, or the Third Division, as it ought to be known.

I sometimes wonder how many Latics fans share this viewpoint, or even whether I have been deluding myself for over two decades in assuming that this wasn't one of those Mickey Mouse clubs, completely devoid of all ambition.

Is it just the effect of the past decade, during which we have been left behind by developments in the game?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I sometimes wonder how many Latics fans share this viewpoint, or even whether I have been deluding myself for over two decades in assuming that this wasn't one of those Mickey Mouse clubs, completely devoid of all ambition.

The owners have the ambition and the supporters have the expectation, but the constant problem seems to be finding management and players capable of making the ambition a reality. Meanwhile I, and many (but not enough) others, continue, as we have for many years, to give our support to the management and players in the hope that one day success will be ours.

The owners have the ambition and the supporters have the expectation, but the constant problem seems to be finding management and players capable of making the ambition a reality. Meanwhile I, and many (but not enough) others, continue, as we have for many years, to give our support to the management and players in the hope that one day success will be ours.

Me too. But that doesn't stop me wondering if we, and most of the most vocal supporters on sites like this are the exception in wanting to see the club actually achieve something.

However numerous they may or may not be, the 'the third-tier is wher we belong' brigade completely fail to grasp that professional football probably won't survive long-term at this level. I suppose that then they'll 'reinvent themselves' as the 'part-time football is where we belong' brigade.

My goodness you would have thought we were in the bottom 4 of the league the way some people are mouthing off on this forum. FFS get behind the team and manager.

I for one would have taken our current league position before the season kicked off.

Agree entirely - what is needed at BP is inflatable dogs, dinghies and beach balls - for when there is a lull in the play - then you will only remember the good moments of play and the jollities of knocking a ball arand on the terraces - problem solved!!

Me too. But that doesn't stop me wondering if we, and most of the most vocal supporters on sites like this are the exception in wanting to see the club actually achieve something.

However numerous they may or may not be, the 'the third-tier is wher we belong' brigade completely fail to grasp that professional football probably won't survive long-term at this level. I suppose that then they'll 'reinvent themselves' as the 'part-time football is where we belong' brigade.

Have Latics had too many near death experiences in the past? Do people think either that something else will save the club - as in the past - or are we now at the stage that shifting priorities and pressures simply mean that it's just not that important to those other thsan the committed.

When I first went in 1960 the club had barely escaped extinction. The arrival of Bates a few years later rescued us from another crisis. In 86/7 our superb push for promotion to the top flight was done on gates of 6000/7000. The TTA saved us from another fall over the precipice.

Even before then the Oldham public had known the club in danger . I've got in front of me the programme of 18 Sept 1954 . It reads "The situation at Boundary Park goes from bad to worse. ....We are now reaching the pitch when the only spectators we can expect is that faithful hard core of some 7000 strong.....It is of course hopeless to expect the club to carry on with only these few spectators as the expenses at Boundary Park are such as to need a home gate of around 12000 to clear , and with the club so much in debt...it is indeed difficult to find a solution to the problem".

This season is a pivotal one, and whilst not promotion or bust, it's promotion or possibly decline. I think I am a Micawber in that I hope something will turn up regardless, but I'd much prefer the reassurance of promotion. And we all need to consider how best we can deliver that.

Edited by LaticsPete

Have Latics had too many near death experiences in the past? Do people think either that something else will save the club - as in the past - or are we now at the stage that shifting priorities and pressures simply mean that it's just not that important to those other thsan the committed.

When I first went in 1960 the club had barely escaped extinction. The arrival of Bates a few years later rescued us from another crisis. In 86/7 our superb push for promotion to the top flight was done on gates of 6000/7000. The TTA saved us from another fall over the precipice.

Even before then the Oldham public had known the club in danger . I've got in front of me the programme of 18 Sept 1954 . It reads "The situation at Boundary Park goes from bad to worse. ....We are now reaching the pitch when the only spectators we can expect is that faithful hard core of some 7000 strong.....It is of course hopeless to expect the club to carry on with only these few spectators as the expenses at Boundary Park are such as to need a home gate of around 12000 to clear , and with the club so much in debt...it is indeed difficult to find a solution to the problem".

This season is a pivotal one, and whilst not promotion or bust, it's promotion or possibly decline. I think I am a Micawber in that I hope something will turn up regardless, but I'd much prefer the reassurance of promotion. And we all need to consider how best we can deliver that.

This brings us back to the point I made the other day about the danger of thinking that everything will remain the same forever and that clubs at our current level will somehow limp on as professional football clubs indefinitely.

All we need to ask ourselves is what will happen should we fail to achieve promotion sooner rather than later when, as many posters on here seem to agree, the TTA will not be able or willing to fund the club indefinitely. Particularly during conditions of economic crisis such as the one we are constantly told is almost upon us, would potential owners as wealthy and as committed as TTA be more likely to consider buying a club trying to hold its own in the second-tier and thus displaying a modicum of ambiton-or one which is languishing in the lower reaches of the division below, playing before paltry crowds and mired in debt?

Failure to get out of this division soon invites only inevitable further, and possibly terminal, decline.

Edited by Corporal_Jones