I'd like to see the team that ended on Sat, start this Sat...which includes no Gregan who can warm the bench for now. That means a 4-5-1 which is like a 4-3-3 when we attack as Taylor and Smalley support Lewis. That means no Hughes I suppose...hadn't thought of that...probably see Hughes in for Lewis there. Shame for the lad.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'd like to see the team that ended on Sat, start this Sat...which includes no Gregan who can warm the bench for now.

Hell fire! Be careful man, i was almost hung drawn and quartered for saying something along those lines last week.........

:hanged:

Hell fire! Be careful man, i was almost hung drawn and quartered for saying something along those lines last week.........

:hanged:

It's one way or the other with some of ours. Like Marmite, they either love or hate the Crossleys and Gregans of this world. Both are good players who have their faults. Hence why they're with us. I see the failings people talk about in both. But I see the good they offer too. All down to form...and also reliability...Crossley's better when his defence is performing infront of him...ala like any keeper in the history of the game...

Gregans time with us is long from over...he needs resting though. Badly. Not sure it's great that Stam is being used so quickly after his latest injury, but we've let in too many goals from the mistakes of a man who's got the world on his shoulders (rightly so too, for being "allegedly" irresponsible). Also, a good player in Maher has been kicking his heals in the dark. He made a huge difference on Saturday...and the way we set out on Saturday can work away from home. Not so at home though...that's something Shez needs to get the right balance on.

I'm probably one of few, but I'm feeling very, very optimistic for Saturday! I try not to be...as it often leads to a fall but there's just something in my waters saying we'll win. Hoping there's a bit of siege mentality about the squad after recent public linen washing and feel Northampton will have one eye on Leeds! 3pts coming back to BP on Saturday, I tell thee!

I'm all for letting him have a run. He hasn't had a fair crack it it since he arrived, since the Derby pre-season where he arrived at the ground & was more or less straight onto the pitch.

Maher was unlucky that a brave shedian 'last throw of the dice' triple substitution worked vs Millwall, Whittaker turned the game & the spot has been his since.

I think a freshen up of the whole midfield is needed, as 3 out of the 4 who have been more or less ever-present need a rest & time away from the starting line up to recharge / give them a kick up the bum (depending on the player!) Only Chris Taylor keeps his place for me.

I'd like to see (left to right):

Taylor Maher Lee Smalley

Play with not one, but 2 pacey wingers & get the ball out to them quickly. Tayls & Deano can bomb on & support the front 2, whilst providing a real tangible threat for the opposition back 4 with their direct running.

Maher can do the Allott role as it were; mopping up & passing simple. Lee gets the nod over Stephens in the whittaker role, purely as i've seen more of Lee playing.

If it doesn't work; on the bench you have options to change it around with any combination of the dropped players or fringe players.

Glad Shez has said Maher is to a chance; though i do take what Shez says these days with a pinch of salt - "sweeping changes" before the Scunny ended up being Lewis for Davies; hardly sweeping eh?

Think its time to look to the squad for Shez, as the starting 11 have gone flat & need a change.

I'd like to see the team that ended on Sat, start this Sat...which includes no Gregan who can warm the bench for now. That means a 4-5-1 which is like a 4-3-3 when we attack as Taylor and Smalley support Lewis. That means no Hughes I suppose...hadn't thought of that...probably see Hughes in for Lewis there. Shame for the lad.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3 both rubbish systems IMO. Always one person up on their own the two wide players are no use with no-one to cross to. 3-5-2 is much better.

4-4-2 is the best system at this level.

One full back goes forwards, the other stays back.

One central midfielder stays deeper than the other can stray forwards,

Both wide players know when to play narrower against strong opposing midfields.

One of the strikers can hold the ball up, linking the midfield nicely with attacking options.

We have the personnel to deliver this with ease.

One of the strikers can hold the ball up, linking the midfield nicely with attacking options.

It works well if you dont take into consideration the other teams tactics.

Its quite easy to combat by putting 3 in the centre and stifling the midfield. IMO you have to be flexible at the professional levels of the game these days. We have the personel to switch between 442, 433 and 451, Shez just needs to mix it up a bit more tactically.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3 both rubbish systems IMO. Always one person up on their own the two wide players are no use with no-one to cross to. 3-5-2 is much better.

3-5-2 only works if you've got 3 fit and able centre back, and I'd say we've only got one who's on his game at the minute.

4-5-1 away from home for me at the moment with the mf pushing on to support the front man.

Edited by danoafc

But 442 didn't work first half at Cheltenham but 451 did in the second half

We certainly looked much better with 3 across the middle plus 2 wide midfield/wing

It works well if you dont take into consideration the other teams tactics.

And there it is in a nutshell.

Look at England against Andorra, looked like we wouldn't score for ages as their spoiling tactics prevented our flair players getting in the game and doing what they are good at. You can have good players and good intentions but there are usually 11 other men trying to stop the team.