all this speculation

(dean 1984 @ Nov 27 2008, 21:30 PM) *

it has to be said some people on this messageboard are effeminate homosexuals

name='rummytheowl' date='Nov 27 2008, 21:31 PM' post='189419']

...and exile is one of them.

:grin:

A bit of intolerance going on there lads. Let's keep it to football, eh?

At the end of the day the club need to balance the books. Because somebody at the the club left us with no strikers Vs Cheltenham, we have lost valuable revenue. To be honest, Hughes is nearly 33? with the best years behind him, every club knows you wont get a full season out of him cos he is injury prone to high heaven. I love Hughesy, and expect him to be offered a new deal. Cant see any Championship clubs chasing him TBH, especially with the history, and although he has been very good for us, I would swap him for Beckford or Lambert, bold statement I know!!!!! Lets not get carried away, he has only scored 9 goals with 3 of em being scored against Cheltenham when they were on there arse.

Taylor - thats a tough one!!!!

Agree that this sort of speculation is what these forums are for.

I would have thought at this stage TTA and Sheridan have sat down ahead of the transfer window to discuss options / scenarios going forward. These would inlcude, but not be limited to, the following:

1) Current loan players that are part of the starting 11 i.e. Jones. Do we want to keep him and can we afford him? What are the plans for the team if we lose him i.e. other targets.

2) Current players that are out on loan i.e. Davies / Thompson / Kalala. Do we want them and can we afford to get rid of them? Who (if anyone) whould Sheriden want in their place in the squad?

3) Any areas that the manager wants to strengthen - targets etc.

4) A list of of our current players that are likely to be subject to interest - what offers (if any) would the club consider letting them go for? Who would Sheriden look to bring in to replace them.

For me Jones is a good player and has been part of a successful recent run and I would keep him if the price/deal was right. Still young and bags of potential - could generate a future transfer fee / play at the higher level if we go up.

Thompson / Kalala can go as long as they don't cost us too much money to get rid. Davies - would like to think he was one to stay, given the fact he has gone out on loan in our division and shown he is capable of scoring at this level and is maintaining/developing his fitness. However if there is any truth in the 'trouble at mill' rumours then it might be made on non-football factors. Would hope that he would bring money in if he goes.

Strengthening areas. Has to be up front / Left side for me. These are two areas that at the moment we have limited cover of the necessary ability. But can we afford to have a bigger squad? Perhaps we can do this IF Thommo and JP go?

Departees?

Hughes - I agree with the above comments about age / injury etc. but for what would be a 'cheap' deal he would be a good short-term squad bolster player to a Champ team looking for promotion and need some back-up firepower OR a team at the wrong end of the Champ who need some goals in the next 6 months to try and stay up. He will not go for much though - and could even be a player exchange deal and no cash (Jones / Byfield?). Also, Lee whould jump at the chance to play at a higher level once more, and I would not blame him for that.

Think we will simply NOT be able to replace Hughes with equal quality. His 'past' is the only reason we managed to get him, if it wasn't for that he'd be out of our price range. Would have to accept a 'lesser' version, that might be good enough.

Taylor - like Hughes, think we will NOT get a player of equal quality back if he does leave. And again we'd have to accept a lesser version and hope its enough and be content with the fact it will have balanced the books. The only option would be a young loan player from a Champ / Prem team that is looking to blood a fantastic prospect.

I think most people agree that Taylor is a Latic through and through and would in all likelyness want to give us until the end of the season to see if he can get Championship football with us. However if it was a Premiership team? Perhaps that would be different and I would wish him well. Or even a Top Championship side which might mean Premiership this time next year? (Not sure if he is Prem quality - but who could begrudge him finding out).

The decision may not be Chris's to make though. Depending on the clubs financial position (though blaming a cup exit is harsh, we could have gone 3 rounds and still not got much cash. The TTA should not bank on getting a cup windfall, and take it as a bonus) OR the size of the offer, he may be given no real option.

Eardley - always surprised by the rumoured interest in Neil. Good player at League One, but not convinced he is anything more. Of the three mentioned so far, the one we could most cope without / backfill. Not sure on value, but it might be enough to stop the club feeling they have to let Taylor go. Best option for us - no doubt.

Smalley - same as Eardley really. Would be pleased if we got money for him and kept better / more influential players, though I think we have less cover for Liddell than we do Eards.

With a club of our means, the flip-side to a successful team will always be the fact that it runs the risk of having its heart ripped out by transfers. Fact of life. With the window, at least its done and dusted in a short period rather than hanging over you all season.

If on Feb 1st we still have Hughes / Taylor and are in the Top 6 (or better) my hopes will be high for the rest of the season. If not, then that's life and have to hope that Shez proves he is as good a manager as I think he has the potential to be and make do with what is left.

The only thing with a Hughes sale in January is that we would get very little money, so there is little point in letting him go - even if we only keep him for a further six months. Certainly whilst promotion is still a prospect.

Thing is if the bloke gets an offer in Januray to get 6 months with perhaps another 12 months in a higher division he might want to take it - last chance and all that at his age.

I like Hughes and think he has shown great effort in an Oldham shirt and whilst would like him to stay I don't think I could begrudge one last hurrah in a higher league.

Given the fact we gave him a chance when many wouldn't and we are playing well and in a good position I think he would feel torn between staying and going. Strangely it might be the Taylor situation that influences this - player and club agree Taylor stays Hughes may feel that there are good times round the corner at Latics (the draw of winning promotion v a few mid-table mediocrity games in the Championship) and stays. Taylro leaves and Hughes thinks that chances of a positive end to the season go as well and decides to go to the Championship?

I work in Lees just round the corner from Taylors home and have just heard off our window cleaner

who also cleans the Taylor families windows (therefore it must be true! :o ) the following......

Offers in for Taylor;

1) Donny - £750k + Byfield

2) Hull - £750k + Windass (Windass not keen)

3) Reading £750k (Taylor said he will not go down south)

=============================================================

I work in Lees just round the corner from Taylors home and have just heard off our window cleaner

who also cleans the Taylor families windows (therefore it must be true! :o ) the following......

Offers in for Taylor;

1) Donny - £750k + Byfield NO

2) Hull - £750k + Windass (Windass not keen) NAY

3) Reading £750k (Taylor said he will not go down south) Never :wink:

Offers in for Taylor;

1) Donny - £750k + Byfield

2) Hull - £750k + Windass (Windass not keen)

3) Reading £750k (Taylor said he will not go down south)

Amazing. Only this morning I struck up a conversation with my window cleaner whilst he was giving the windows a wipe and explained the intricate details of my work situation and a recent external job offer (explaining the full salary and benefits package). A much underrated source of wisdom and career guidance are the window cleaners of this country.

PS - all those deals are in the 'tempting' area for the club. Reasonable chunk of cash plus a player to fill a hole in the squad and that could do ok at this level (though not in the same manner as Taylor) - sort of deal I could see being accepted. Not that I'd be over the moon about any of them

There's a possibility Taylor will move or he'll possibly stay. Hughes could sign a new 2 year deal here or pen a contract at wolves in January. However, both deals will be opposite to each other meaning possibly hughes stays or goes with Taylor staying or going. Now if Eardley enters the mix that could possily mean different out comes for all concerned with different possilities of going ,staying or signing deals. Since the announcement of the Leeds match on sky which now isn't a possibility anymore (so there for boring) there's a possibilty the cash means only one player leaves.