anthem?

Not on the forum perhaps, but you're right I can't hear the bloody thing anyway in the Chaddy. Mouldy Old Dough is all well and good but I'll always remember that tune as something you listened to if you were in the ground too early. To enter the arena with it being played doesn't feel right, it doesn't exactly pump up the fans or the team I would imagine, and therefore is a waste of effort.

We need pump up tunes - and we need them now...

:headbang:

The players may play the pump up tune(s) in the dressing room. They're not going to be pumped up walking down the steps, lining up and shaking the opposition's/officials' hands.

MOD is ours - we are unique in playing a tune that reached No.1 in the chart, and sold 790,000 copies, and yet nobody else kinows it. I think that's very suitable for Latics. B)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players may play the pump up tune(s) in the dressing room. They're not going to be pumped up walking down the steps, lining up and shaking the opposition's/officials' hands.

MOD is ours - we are unique in playing a tune that reached No.1 in the chart, and sold 790,000 copies, and yet nobody else kinows it. I think that's very suitable for Latics. B)

MOD is only ours in football, Belle Vue use it for certain formulas - it's a well known track on the stock car/banger circuit around the country I believe. The two small ovals I've been to have both played it...

MOD is only ours in football, Belle Vue use it for certain formulas - it's a well known track on the stock car/banger circuit around the country I believe. The two small ovals I've been to have both played it...

Still ours though. I'm sure other teams 'anthems' are played at other grounds as well sometimes over the PA, doesn't take them away from their respective clubs.

I'm sure we had it first. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Just look at the plastic Latics! :grin:

Stuff the players ... it's the crowd that need pumping up. MOD, then the team comes out Pirates WTF!!!

MOD as its place (half an hour before the game) its the younger vocal fans that need cater for more at BP . The music at Dale was the best I've heard in a long, long time.

Get on the

Killers

Vampire Weekend

Twisted Wheel etc etc... with a load of classic Madchester tunes.

Check out the Super League game Friday and see how ot should be done.

Get on the

Killers

Vampire Weekend

Twisted Wheel etc etc... with a load of classic Madchester tunes.

Check out the Super League game Friday and see how ot should be done.

I don't know who they are, but I'll bet they all sound the same. :wink:

I think we should encourage these poor kids away from pop rock and towards the rave scene. Replacing Franny with this boy could be a good start....although they'd have to sort the speakers in the Rocky.

He's on at Sankeys tomorrow - at this stage it's looking like I might have to go alone. Oh well.....

Edited by Stitch_KTF

I thught .we'd got our unique tune after carrying out the Poll - Guns of Navarone.

This thread is to choose an Anthem like Stoke's Delilah though, not the Goal Tune, I'm definately against one of those anyway.

:shock:

But if you must attempt to choose an 'anthem' to force on us then it must, must, must, must, must, must be an old song. Not some recent 'pop rock' garbage.

How about one of these? Owdham :lol:

A new song is a better choice as far as I'm concerned we don't want an old fogey's tune.

BTW I too like the Oldham Tinkers but as far as I can remember they don't have any thing anthemic in their repertoire.

Are you ready to blow yourself away Stitch_KTF

De-de de-de de-de de,

De-de de-de de-de de,

Throw those curtains wide,

One day like this a year'd see me right.

A new song is a better choice as far as I'm concerned we don't want an old fogey's tune.

BTW I too like the Oldham Tinkers but as far as I can remember they don't have any thing anthemic in their repertoire.

The Tinkers' classic 'John Willie's Horse' tells of Jimmy Frizzell's Latics being hit by 'flu. So John Willie's Horse turned out for Latics and scored the winning goal. All the players gathered round and kissed John Willie's Horse!

At the end of the song, like many Latics fans have threatened to do over the years, John Willie showed his Horse between the pillars on the Town Hall steps. :grin:

They don't write 'em like that anymore. "Old fogey's tune" indeed!! :D

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

The Tinkers' classic 'John Willie's Horse' tells of Jimmy Frizzell's Latics being hit by 'flu. So John Willie's Horse turned out for Latics and scored the winning goal. All the players gathered round and kissed John Willie's Horse!

At the end of the song, like many Latics fans have threatened to do over the years, John Willie showed his Horse between the pillars on the Town Hall steps. :grin:

They don't write 'em like that anymore. "Old fogey's tune" indeed!! :D

Quality - me and a few mates went to watch the tinkers at the colliseum a couple of years back, great reference to the tics in that song

Quality - me and a few mates went to watch the tinkers at the colliseum a couple of years back, great reference to the tics in that song

I went to that with Mrs. S. Afterwards I met up with Gerry Kearns in the bar to reminisce about schooldays and following Latics, including both appearing as witnesses for the prosecution against a BP turnstile operator on the fiddle.

This thread is to choose an Anthem like Stoke's Delilah though, not the Goal Tune, I'm definately against one of those anyway.

Are you ready to blow yourself away Stitch_KTF

De-de de-de de-de de,

De-de de-de de-de de,

Throw those curtains wide,

One day like this a year'd see me right.

tinkers have nothing anthemic ?

"all we had was fun and glee "

"they laughed at all we towd em "

"and asked if folk were all like me apen to come from owdham"

anthemic ?

here's a tune that is uplifting, anthem like, and incorperates the clubs favourite motto. surely this has to be a contender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5gJZh5u2Y...=1&index=15

Any thoughts?

Following on from Mouldy Old Dough, as the team starts to line up in preparation for the kick-off, turn the PA up to max and, instead of 'Let's get ready to grumble', play this by Bon Jovi:

Faith: you know you're gonna live thru the rain

Lord you got to keep the faith

Now you know is not too late

Oh you got to keep the faith

Faith: don't let your love turn to hate

Right now we got to

Keep the faith

Keep the faith

Keep the faith

Lord we got to keep the faith

sorry. didn't notice that post. lol.

would the terraces join in tho? come on guys n gals bit feedback?

the terraces wont join in as there seems to be too much of a difference in opinion when it comes to what is sung and whats not and hence we end up singing what everyone else does (Hey Jude, Ring of Fire, Great Escape), the one song we do have that could be seen as an anthem is this websites namesake. Singing terrace anthems such as 'You'll Never Walk Alone', 'Delilah', 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling' etc were a big thing in the 1960's and 70's and have been passed through generations, partly down to the sides having success over them periods

If your going for Bon Jovi then Living on a Prayer has to be the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE11Zrrp24I

This brings back memories of when Latics were a replay away from the FA cup final. Before the replay the Beeb played Living on a Prayer whilst showing clips of the Latics.

Mmmm good anthemic song, but bad memories, so maybe not.