Best Manager Debate

palmer1

Best Manager  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been our best Manager since Big Joe?

• Graeme Sharp
    • Neil Warnock
    • Andy Ritchie
    • Mick Wadsworth
    • Ian Dowie
    • Brian Talbot
    • Ronnie Moore
    • John Sheridan

Sorry,

All this talk about quazimodo. Can somebody remind me once again how poor our home record actually was under him or have people really forgotten. Lost to Cardiff, Wycombe, Luton, Wigan, Crewe and Plymouth and drawing with Cheltenham, Blackpool, Peterborough, Notts County, QPR & Port Vale. We also lost at home to Cheltenham in the FA cup. Whilst we might have smashed poor sides like Mansfield, Swindon and Chestefield, we failed to win half of our home games, losing 6 times and this fact alone probably cost us automatic promotion. With our away record and form that season, that is unforgivable based on his budget.

Our success that season was based on clean sheets and our away record. IIRC we didn't lose an away league game until sometime in March when we went down to Bristol City.

And it was Dowie's ridiculous decision to "rest" players for the last league game at Hudderfield that saw us lose home advantage in the second leg of the play offs. A victory would have ensured home advantage in that 2nd leg. For me a fatal mistake at such a vital point of the season.

So overall the choice for me would be between Stich & Shez, with Shez just shading it, based on his (probable) 3 top 8 finishes in 3 seasons.

Cheers,

Harry

I think anyone in that season after would've struggled to make us anywhere near competitive. Which is what we were. Also, the season before was the toughest this league has ever known. Hence scores so highly. As for that Udders game...agree 100% on that. Was pissed off too and possibly cost us getting to the final. But Shez was guilty too of that failing (ie not getting 3rd or 4th) as we slipped from top of the league to almost not making the playoffs under Shez 2yrs ago. For me, if we get in the playoffs this season, getting 3rd or 4th is paramount!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I don't buy into the theory that divisions are easier or harder in any particular season, it ignores teams (Scunthorpe, Blackpool etc) who don't fit into the Big Club category but play very good football or have winning strategies. Davros achieved nothing that Sheridan hasn't done, and was still demanding more money. And although there were a lot of exciting matches under Davros, the best football I've seen from us since back in the day has been under Sheridan. There's been dome tripe as well of course, but it wasn't always brilliant in the days when Baudet, Eyre and Mini-Shez were pulling the strings for us.

i know this board is for people to get across their own opinions on latics but...

come on who voted for graeme sharp? :shock:

Haha i just noticed that and was going to type a "MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN!" post! :wink:

Interesting results with Dowie and Sheridan pretty much on par with each other.

Edited by ste1987

I don't buy into the theory that divisions are easier or harder in any particular season, it ignores teams (Scunthorpe, Blackpool etc) who don't fit into the Big Club category but play very good football or have winning strategies. Davros achieved nothing that Sheridan hasn't done, and was still demanding more money. And although there were a lot of exciting matches under Davros, the best football I've seen from us since back in the day has been under Sheridan. There's been dome tripe as well of course, but it wasn't always brilliant in the days when Baudet, Eyre and Mini-Shez were pulling the strings for us.

I would normally agree with you but around Dowies season there was an awful lot of money being thrown around at this level. Unusual amounts to be honest, which i doubt will be seen again. IMO the top 7 in Dowies play off season may well have held their own in the division up. The standard of players at the top of our division that year was very very high.

I would normally agree with you but around Dowies season there was an awful lot of money being thrown around at this level. Unusual amounts to be honest, which i doubt will be seen again. IMO the top 7 in Dowies play off season may well have held their own in the division up. The standard of players at the top of our division that year was very very high.

Haha i just noticed that and was going to type a "MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN!" post! :wink:

Interesting results with Dowie and Sheridan pretty much on par with each other.

its a very close run thing between shez and dowie...

dowies team was superfit and played some strong football,we had a lot of decent players who new what there jobs were...

under shez we have played far more flair football as i call it,but without any great conviction or consistancy...

time will tell,if we go up this season then its shez all the way isnt it,that said i think it would be a harder job to keep us in the championship.

Whats more interesting is all these people thinking Shez cant do a job for us (which he clearly can looking at current league position and previous seasons results) who do they expect to come in and do a better job?

I voted for Shez. Consistent with my expectations tbh

Whats more interesting is all these people thinking Shez cant do a job for us (which he clearly can looking at current league position and previous seasons results) who do they expect to come in and do a better job?

I voted for Shez. Consistent with my expectations tbh

Come on who voted Ronnie?

I'm going for John Sheridan, with a play-off season, a top eight season with a decimated/young side and now this season where he's challenging again - with very little in the budget - it's pretty amazing.

Dowie had a lot of ideas, but relied on a bigger budget to compete - and even then we failed...

Shez out? Well we seem to think he's the best thing we've had since Joe!

Latics Fans = Opportunity Moaners...

• 2 weeks later...

Sheridans Managerial History

06/07 Season

League (Inc Play Off’s) :

P 48 W21 D12 L15

Cup:

P6 W2 D1 L3

Total:

P54 W 23 D13 L18

07/08 Season

League: