Best Manager Debate

palmer1

Best Manager  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been our best Manager since Big Joe?

• Graeme Sharp
    • Neil Warnock
    • Andy Ritchie
    • Mick Wadsworth
    • Ian Dowie
    • Brian Talbot
    • Ronnie Moore
    • John Sheridan

Out of interest for all the posters moaning about shez when we are 3rd in the league can someone please set up a poll to see who was our best manager since Joe.

Frizz and Big Joes record speaks for itself...........

Graeme Sharp

Neil Warnock

Andy Ritchie

Ian Dowie

Brian Talbot

Ronnie Moore

John Sheridan

tactics, style of play, motivation, interviews, signings, man management.

different times , different budgets but overall which manager did it for you?

Edited by sheridans_world
Poll Added (And Mick Wadsworth :) )

Out of interest for all the posters moaning about shez when we are 3rd in the league can someone please set up a poll to see who was our best manager since Joe.

Frizz and Big Joes record speaks for itself...........

Graeme Sharp

Neil Warnock

Andy Ritchie

Ian Dowie

Brian Talbot

Ronnie Moore

John Sheridan

tactics, style of play, motivation, interviews, signings, man management.

different times , different budgets but overall which manager did it for you?

you forgot to include Mick Wadsworth on the list LMAO :blink:

Sorry to be predictable but tho I think Dowie did well, actually thought Stitch did comparatively much better with no money/resources before the "Torex Tw)t" came in

Shez imo is doing a great job so probably jst abt nicks it for me

David Eyres :wink:

Dowie for me, just for the fact he made us so difficult to beat and the never say die spirit we had especially away from home where we had been a soft touch for years previously.

Shez has done well at times, my biggest frustration has been his stubborness and the tendancy he has not to learn from his mistakes. However, bringing the Deanos into the team has made us a real threat at home by giving us another dimension.

shez for me. playoffs, 8th and doin well this season. dowie did well but he had a budget which must of been 3 times what shez has and we also spent a bit on players then with the likes of hill. dowie never managed to do it the 2nd season which i know he was gettin players sold from under his feet but i would of thought he would of installed some sort of seige mentallity into the players heads especially with his type of managment.

Guest sheridans_world
For what it's worth, only Rowley has a better win percentage than Sheridan in our entire history.

Nice stat!

This doesnt suprise me, Shez has made us a consistant top ten team. We've had so many managers since Joe, eight managers in 15 years, Shez has been manager three years, Andy Ritchie was manager three years so that leaves six managers in 9 years. (In the period).

I think its quite a high turnover and definatley an indicator of the modern game.

My favourite stat for 'number of managers' is West Ham. Between 1901 and 1989 they had five managers. They have had seven in the last twenty years. Of course, they could just be a 'blip' but I think it shows clubs are willing to change their managers quicker now...

Guest sheridans_world
Check soccerbase - we have also been managed by John Eyres - I don't see him on you poll. <does person on Rikki Lake style chatshow head move thing whilst saying girlfriend.>

Who's John Eyres?

Dowie produced the most exciting team, made us feel like true challengers.

I'll go with that.

Dowie's playoff season was the strongest I can remember this division being. The top six all pulled away...Wigan romped away with it and the other 5 of us were effectively fighting for 2nd spot and always looking comfortable to get a playoff spot (although Cardiff really tried to fudge it up in the last few games). That team in any other year would have gone up, no doubt.

Dowie's team were excellent and we were an altogether more professional outfit than we have been since. If that team would have stayed together, IMO, we would have murdered that division the next season. Taking resources into account though, Ritchie was the best, he prevented an extremely poor bunch of players left behind by Warnock from dropping into the basement, and steadily improved the team with very limited resources.

I'm going for John Sheridan, with a play-off season, a top eight season with a decimated/young side and now this season where he's challenging again - with very little in the budget - it's pretty amazing.

Dowie had a lot of ideas, but relied on a bigger budget to compete - and even then we failed...

Interesting point

in the dowie season we finished 5th with 82 points and a GD of +30. Put the same points total into every season after this and we would have finished as follows

2003/2004 - 3rd (1 point off 2nd place and a worse GD of 5 than 2nd placed QPR)

2004/2005 - 3rd (4 points off 2nd place and a better GD than 2nd placed hull of 3)

2005/2006 - 1st (Would have finished equal on points to southend, but won the division of goal difference, by 1 goal)

2006/2007 - 4th (a point behind 3rd placed blackpool and 3 points behind 2nd placed bristol city, but had better goal difference than both of these)

2007/2008 - 3rd (would have finished level on points with 2nd placed forest, losing out on GD as forest had GD of +32)

In the sheridan playoff season we finished 6th with 75 points and a GD of +22, in exactly the same seasons as the above here is how that team would have faired with this points total

2002/2003 - would have finished 7th on this total, 5 points behind tranmere, wo would have replaced our place in playoffs

2003/2004 - 5th - 2 points behind 4th placed brighton with a better GD

2004/2005 - 4th - 4 points behind 3rd placed tranmere but with a better GD (this was when brentford made the playoffs with a GD of -3)

2005/2006 - 4th - a point behind 4th placed brentford with a better GD

2007/2008 - 7th - a point behind 6th place southend with a better GD

Without resources - Andy Ritchie

With resources - Iain Dowie

With good resources over 3 years - John Sherian

Something that's pissing me off at the moment is all this talk about 3rd lowest budget in this division...that being after being in the top 5 budgets for the past 2 seasons. Damn right he's got a smaller one this season! He's squad's built now...and had a little bit more to top it up. Shez's spent good money (Hazell, Allott...his signings...Hughes add in by TTA etc) and some bad (Thompson, Kalala...and for me, arguably...offering Lids his extra yr.) As it is...Shez's built a cracking, well paid squad...can he get them up??? That will determine where he comes in managers over the years. He's been very well supported during times of hardship and fans not turning up.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Without resources - Andy Ritchie

With resources - Iain Dowie

With good resources over 3 years - John Sherian

Something that's pissing me off at the moment is all this talk about 3rd lowest budget in this division...that being after being in the top 5 budgets for the past 2 seasons. Damn right he's got a smaller one this season! He's squad's built now...and had a little bit more to top it up. Shez's spent good money (Hazell, Allott...his signings...Hughes add in by TTA etc) and some bad (Thompson, Kalala...and for me, arguably...offering Lids his extra yr.) As it is...Shez's built a cracking, well paid squad...can he get them up??? That wil determine where he comes in managers over the years, for me.

Wasnt sheridan who offered lids 3 yr deal that was Ronnie Moore

Sorry,

All this talk about quazimodo. Can somebody remind me once again how poor our home record actually was under him or have people really forgotten. Lost to Cardiff, Wycombe, Luton, Wigan, Crewe and Plymouth and drawing with Cheltenham, Blackpool, Peterborough, Notts County, QPR & Port Vale. We also lost at home to Cheltenham in the FA cup. Whilst we might have smashed poor sides like Mansfield, Swindon and Chestefield, we failed to win half of our home games, losing 6 times and this fact alone probably cost us automatic promotion. With our away record and form that season, that is unforgivable based on his budget.

Our success that season was based on clean sheets and our away record. IIRC we didn't lose an away league game until sometime in March when we went down to Bristol City.

And it was Dowie's ridiculous decision to "rest" players for the last league game at Hudderfield that saw us lose home advantage in the second leg of the play offs. A victory would have ensured home advantage in that 2nd leg. For me a fatal mistake at such a vital point of the season.

So overall the choice for me would be between Stich & Shez, with Shez just shading it, based on his (probable) 3 top 8 finishes in 3 seasons.

Cheers,

Harry