• Alan Groves
    • Rick Holden
    • David Eyres
    • Chris Taylor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive voted Eyres as I cant really remember Holden but he probably was the best if playing at the highest level counts for something.

Eyres was a joy to watch, and when he came in at 36? years old I thought he was going to be a half season stop gap, how i was wrong:) Brilliant skill, technique and control and a brilliant crosser, not to mention a great athlete. I wish we could have had him slightly earlier in his career.

This shouldn 't even be up for debate - Ricky Holden (IMO) is one of best left wingers the premier league has ever had, let alone us .

The guy never had the take his man on for heaven sake, he'd just curle the ball around him!!

An absolute legend!!

My favourite Oldham player!

:lol:

I was just going to post that Ricky was the best crosser of a ball in the country with either foot. Now you've told me Taggart said it, I won't bother! :blink:

where's the option to pick em all,lol

barely remember groves,i was knocked off the wall at the front of the chaddy by him on 2 occasions though.

rick holden fantastic crosser..run up and down the wing all day and supply ball after ball of pure quality right onto someones head almost every time....but did very little else.

david Eyres , not only could he run up and down the wing and cross a ball,he also took a fantastic free kick as well,yes his legs went eventually,but he could still cross n hit a free kick.

chris taylor...really does have the potential to go all the way,bit one footed though.can cross a good ball in but is also very good at cutting inside and having a pop on goal.

i voted for holden,because at the end of the day thats who i have seen play the most,and had some fantastic times during those glory years.

Hi, my first ever posting as a new member! I wish this particular debate had gone back to the 60s because then we would create the dilemma of including Colin Whitaker in this impressive list. Always a cert to beat the right back, a good cross assured and ace strikers like Bert Lister served on a plate. Ah, the memories. Incidentally Latics had a great right winger called Bob Ledger in those days so they were very well served. And the crowds...14,000 or so for a lowly and relatively unattractive fixture!

This is one of the best threads for a while.

For me only being a semi oldie and not really remembering much of the 60's, Don heath excepted, I have to go for Groves.

Holden was absolutely fabulous for us in the Royle era, but Groves was just different class. On his day he was absolutely unplayable and that is not an exaggeration.

A little known fact is that Groves almost went to United. If Docherty hadn't signed Gordon Hill from Forest, then Groves was the man he wanted. No emotion on my part with this. His death, whilst tragic, went with his flamboyance. He died of a large heart. Sums him up really as week after week he would get kicked by his full back yet get up and go past him again and again and again. A character in every sense of the word. Given the chance I am convinced that he could have graced the top league in this country. The fact that his off field issues took prominence didn't help his cause and possibly caused him to lose a little focus.

Holden was a top winger, but all based on Royle getting the best out of him with the provision of top service from Milligan & Henry - Note to all those criticising Maher and Allot for sideways passing, how do you think Holden and Adams got as much ball as they did - Holden had the ability to cross the ball with either foot from anywhere from the half way line to the dead ball line. The one thing he lacked was pace, something Groves was blessed with. The only fullback I ever saw properly tame Groves was Viv Anderson who went on to be the 1st black player to represent England.

Eyers was good for us and we got him at the right time. He, together with the class of Sheridan and the workrate of Carrs saved us from the drop during Stitch's early days and his professionalism was a credit to the man, but for me, with respect, not a patch on Groves or Holden.

Chris Taylor is a young man who looks like he has a good future in the game. BUT and this is a big but, he has a long way to go to deserve the same legend status of the 3 mentioned above.

Cheers,

Harry

This shouldn 't even be up for debate - Ricky Holden (IMO) is one of best left wingers the premier league has ever had, let alone us .

The guy never had to take his man on for heaven's sake, he'd just curl the ball around him!!

An absolute legend!!

My favourite Oldham player!

:lol:

That was the key to Ricky H's success - he lacked blstering pace but more than compensated for that with his ability to cross without needing to beat the defender first - top winger and I reckon that if you tabulated the number of goal assists he made then there would be no debate needed :wink:

It's gotta be Ricky for me.

Started going to BP in 1987 so struck lucky with the 'pinch me years'.

Amongst many highlights: -

Overhead kick at Newcastle

Throwing the ball against Mike Phelan's back during one of the FA Cup semis

Shoving Lee Dixon at BP and me thinking that he must have been really strong!

His mumbling 'A Question of Sport' appearance.

Since I go way back it's Alan Groves for me.

WTF!!!! WTF is Thomas Elliott Wright? Boooooooo! Ok not as much as end product as Tricky Ricky, but such an exciting player to watch leaving full backs for dead before whipping over a cross for Stich or Frankie Bunn to bury. Gutted!

An earlier post mentioned Colin Whittaker. He scored three in the 11-0 against Southport. If forced to choose then Grovesy just pips Holden for me. On his day he really was unplayable as Harry says

Holden, no doubt about it. Remember he played in the Premiership and was impressive there. Where have the others played and the standard of their opponent?

As much as Chris Taylor is true blue and everything, he's not fit to be metioned in the same sentence as the other three imo! He's a kid with a bit of potential the othewr three did it week in week out and the stats back 'em up.