Davies Signs for Brighton!

I'm disappointed he wasn't ever given a chance when he came back from County. Remember hearing on LaticsWorld against Huddersfiel he looked half-arsed warming-up but when he did play he seemed to make a difference. I'm sure he'll do well at Brighton but for how long? If he can improve his atttude for longer than 6 months then Brighton may have a great signing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world
Not really, passes responsibility away from him.

Exactley, if Davies didnt sort his head out (as it seems) its Davies' fault. Shez wll have given him an ultimatum, Davies hasnt delivered, Davies leaves the club.

very clueless move by shez lets sell our leading scorer from last season, but to be fair i can see him using the wage to draft kilkenny in

Key words in bold.

He's never even looked like scoring for us this season. He couldn't even score in the warm up at Scunny (apparently).

Yes, he scored a few for Stockport and had a few good games there, but there's obviously something not right. The fact we gave him a new contract at the start of the season shows the club wanted to give him every chance. Who knows, he might have come good later in the season, but when someone comes in with a decent offer and he's not looking like catching the first team right now it looks like good business to get rid. Good luck to him.

Meanwhile, it pushes Alessandra back up the running order - something I thought everybody was clamouring for...

Edited by garcon

Gutted.

Some of the things this manager has done this season have been baffling.

He was a breath of fresh air when he came to the club because he was different to what we already had and had pace to burn. Admittedly he had a great start to his career here but since he got injured he hasn't been the same player.

He seems to be very moody and turns it on and off as he thinks fit. I should imagine he's a disruptive influence behind the scenes and had a bad name when he arrived.

If he had a football brain he'd be a tremendous asset but he selfishly plays the game alone and I sometimes think he'd be at the top of the Chaddy end before he realised he had to stop and turn!!!

He will either finish in the championship or the conference....Brighton might make a player out of him but somehow......I doubt it!!!

There's definitely more to this than just football matters and I'll back Shez or TTA, whoever made the decision.

Now....Kilkenny to sign before Tuesday will really make my week!!!

Not as clueless as you think dean, by your own admission. He can use the wage for another player, whilst bringing some cash in as well, who knows how much the fee was but hopefully we've broken even. From memory we paid £75k for him?

£50k I think, Simon.

He's never even looked like scoring for us this season. He couldn't even score in the warm up at Scunny (apparently).

If the ball had bounced the other side of the post in the last minute at Hartlepool I think his season could have gone a different way.

Davies is a confidence player, he needed that goal for Oldham this season...and he never got it. If the management deem that he's not going to do much here and more importantly, the owners decide that they'd rather take the fee and lose Craig rather than sell Tayls or Hughes at a cut price rate, then it's time for him to go.

This transfer has come from one of two scenarios for me:

1. TTA have realised that noone will meet our valuation on Taylor or Hughes (or the latter's personal terms), and want to get some cash in to balance the books.

2. Shez has said he wants to sign a midfielder (Killer or whoever), and TTA have said fine, but you've got to sell someone.

Either way, I believe the club have made the right decision.

Thats a stupid desicion from the shez. He goes to stockport and shows what he can do and the stockport fans talk the world of him. Hope shez has a back-up plan

For somone who as done absolutely nothing in getting this team in the play-offs

absoultely f****ing joke sheridan out i hate you

:help:

very clueless move by shez lets sell our leading scorer from last season, but to be fair i can see him using the wage to draft kilkenny in

The clue is in your own post

Whether this is a good deal or not depends on the fee. £100k + 10/15% sell on clause would be a good deal for me, anything less and we've made a bad decision.

I definitely think he'll do very well at this level or maybe even the level above and tbh Brighton seems as good a place as any for him as they seem to play a simple style of football (which is why I really hope we put a sell on clause in the deal), he's obviously very quick, strong and is a good finisher but even last year I wasn't convinced that he would be great for us in the long run because he doesn't link well with the rest of the team or with a strike partner. No matter what stat anyone brings up about us doing well with Hughes and Davies together up front the truth is that they weren't on the same wavelength when playing together and they trouble defenders in different ways.

But Davies shows how good he is when he plays through the centre on his own in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation as he has proved when playing for Stockport and Wolves. My thinking earlier was that if Hughes left Davies might become the focal point of our team with Smalley and Taylor supporting him on the flanks and a 3-man centre midfield similar to Stockport, but for me the writing was on the wall for Davies as a starter when we signed Windass. With Windass up front alongside Hughes and the support from the midfield our attacking style relies on link up play with Taylor being the player who can offer something different to break down defences.

I don't think we need another striker unless we lose Hughes, I just hope this allows us to keep our other star players.

All the best Kes (apart from when we play you later in the season of course)!

EDIT: One final point, I'm not one for criticising Shez but the Davies signing always seemed like a gamble at the start. I believe that a huge part of Davies being big success here was how Shez molded him and helped him learn the game. This is evidence for me that Shez isn't the type of manager who can turn a good player into great player, which could hold him back as a manager.

Ah well, Onwards and Upwards!

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Although I've panned Davies on here for some of his performances, and although he is mental, I am quite sorry to see him go. There was always a nagging hope that he would make the grade. It's probably for the best. Even though I didn't really rate him he was too good to not be making Oldham's League 1 matchday squads. Well either that or he wasn't too good to be missing them in which case we don't need him...... :unsure:

yup i deffo am!! i said on here if u look i saw davies in the club shop speakin to the woman behind the counter and she said dont do to well down there espc against us also seen kilkenny in tokyos a few weeks ago and we wanted him then as i knw him i also see his facebook status is (this is took from his page btw) Neil is hoping to be back in sunny oldham with all his friends by the start of next week..

says it all for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup i deffo am!! i said on here if u look i saw davies in the club shop speakin to the woman behind the counter and she said dont do to well down there espc against us also seen kilkenny in tokyos a few weeks ago and we wanted him then as i knw him i also see his facebook status is (this is took from his page btw) Neil is hoping to be back in sunny oldham with all his friends by the start of next week..

I've tried to come up with a witty comment but words fail me. I hope this is true and that if it is we get him for a reasonable price and wage, if so it could prove to be good business as we would have a player who would settle in, has tasted the greener grass and realised that the sun in Oldham makes the grass taste the greenest.

Could also help a few other young lads realise it isn't all milk and honey away from BP.

I admit I'm warming to the idea of signing Kilkenny, but I'll be happy enough if the money just means no-one else is leaving.

No midfield playmaker = No promotion.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Maher or Whittaker sacrificed if the Kilkenny info is correct!!

Personally I'm glad Davies has gone as it was obvious as a fan that Sheridan didn't think he was a suitable Latics player. Just remember with Kilkenny that our results improved as soon as he left last January. I rated him and I would like to see him back but he's got to come back and play for a place. Leeds fan's hated him with passion just for him being 'too lazy'. I suppose if he's spotted today then its a deffinate signing.

Completely agree. He's been on death row since the fall out after the sending off. To blame Shez is just daft. Its the player who is seen at training and beyond that will influence the club as a whole. The directors MIGHT allow Shez some flexibilty in bringing someone in with the fee.

They have also signed Seb Carole (again) and Calvin Andrews!

Knight said, "Craig is an exciting player with loads of potential, he is lightning-quick and his direct approach can be a nightmare for defenders. MANAGERS?

"This is a major career move for him and he has every chance to be a crucial part of our future."

I'm sorry but Shez has too take his % of the blame here, from banning him for playing for Wales to bringing in a injury prone striker on loan who's best days were long a go just after Davies scores a hattrick in the reserves.

And now we want another midfielder in which pushes Maher, Lee and Stephens down the order, 1 player who's not had a sniff and two who the manager couldn't wait to drop to get his mates back in.

Acknowledged as reliable :sauce: